Comic Book Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
image06.jpg
You brought this on yourself.
latest-4.jpg
latest-5.jpg
latest-6.jpg

At the time, this pissed me off as World's Finest was one of my favorite DC titles, plus it foreshadowed the revisionist nonsense where Batman and Superman were suddenly no longer best buddies and Batman's new personality was resentful, arrogant, mistrustful, and all-around unlikable. And Superman was suddenly a naive dupe. I don't blame Frank Miller as he was just telling a story in an alternate universe timeline. I blame the shortsighted editors and dopey comics readers who decided they needed to ape Frank Miller because that meant comics were "mature," "serious," and "gritty." I guess they forgot we're reading about a millionaire who dresses up like a bat and a space alien with x-ray eyes.
View attachment 1377

Preach it. Crisis of the Infinite Earths was my gateway to... the Marvel Universe

Preach it. Crisis of the Infinite Earths was my gateway to... the Marvel Universe
By contrast, COIE was my gateway into the DC universe.

I had read some DC as a pre-teen, but was more familiar with Marvel, which generally had the better stories at the time. But COIE sucked me in, and promised a fresh start for their characters. I really liked some of the revamped titles that came out after Crisis, some of which I think still hold up today, and it gave me a ready jump-in point for them.

(also, I was just hitting an age where I was starting to react defensively toward some of the goofier elements of the pre-Crisis stuff - these days I can appreciate it, but when you're in your early teens some of it doesn't work as well)

Adventures of Superman 424.jpg

Wonder Woman 1.jpg

By contrast, COIE was my gateway into the DC universe.

I had read some DC as a pre-teen, but was more familiar with Marvel, which generally had the better stories at the time. But COIE sucked me in, and promised a fresh start for their characters. I really liked some of the revamped titles that came out after Crisis, some of which I think still hold up today, and it gave me a ready jump-in point for them.

(also, I was just hitting an age where I was starting to react defensively toward some of the goofier elements of the pre-Crisis stuff - these days I can appreciate it, but when you're in your early teens some of it doesn't work as well)
They killed Earth 2. That was all my favorite stuff. I felt betrayed. (I was a teen too and took comics way too seriously) After that I started reading X-men and Spider-Man. My shelf is crowded with Marvel to this day.

They killed Earth 2. That was all my favorite stuff. I felt betrayed.
I can see that. All-Star Squadron, along with New Teen Titans and Legion of Super-Heroes, was one of the few DC books I read as a kid pre-Crisis.

Last edited:
The beginning of the best run of Thor ever.

(Yes, I'm putting Simonson's stuff above the original Lee/Kirby issues... yeah, I went there)

View attachment 11604
I should probably go back and look at this because this issue is when the art just turned me off of Thor. Loved Beta Ray Bill and Scuttlebutt but I am not a Simonson fan.

Kriby's work on classic Thor must be among his best. He was clearly in his element drawing cosmic knights in larger than life settings. You can just see the creativity flowing even despite the budget and technological limitations of the period. It's just awesome.

But that early Thor run does not necessarily contain Lee's best scripts, especially compared to the scripts for the FF and Spider-Man mags he was writing at the time. Of course it's always hard to tell where Lee's input ended and his artists began, but seems to me Lee was more interested in the humanity of Ben Grimm and Peter Parker.

I'll need to go back the Simonson Thor run at some stage. I actually quite like his art.

The beginning of the best run of Thor ever.

(Yes, I'm putting Simonson's stuff above the original Lee/Kirby issues... yeah, I went there)

How is this even remotely contentious? Simonson's run is the ultimate Thor's arc. There's nothing coming even close to that.

I prefer Kirby to Simonson, no question. I know lots and lots of people who feel the opposite, though. It’s a pretty common stance.

I prefer Kirby to Simonson, no question. I know lots and lots of people who feel the opposite, though. It’s a pretty common stance.
I think the latter part of the Lee/Kirby run is excellent, and I would put it neck-and-neck with Simonson's tenure on the book.

It's the early part of their run, when Lee was plotting a half-dozen other titles, and before Kirby really went all-in on crazy space mythos, that their output was just kinda... there.

I think the latter part of the Lee/Kirby run is excellent, and I would put it neck-and-neck with Simonson's tenure on the book.

It's the early part of their run, when Lee was plotting a half-dozen other titles, and before Kirby really went all-in on crazy space mythos, that their output was just kinda... there.
Well, yeah no question. However, Simonson’s run has lifeless Sal Buscema art for its second half. I can’t get through it.

I happened upon this today:
12f697f8c942d3ca13dc62a8d0476d0b.jpg
Now I wish there had been a Captain Marvel series drawn by Jim Aparo. If I can find a reasonably priced copy of this magazine I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall in my den.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back