Comic Book Covers

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Endless Flight

I have the power!
Administrator
Reaction score
What are some of your favorite comic book covers? I'll give you the one that was my favorite from my childhood. I was about 11 when Secret Wars #10 came out. I was amazed by Mike Zeck's cover. So much detail. The defiant post of Dr. Doom. I attempted to draw it myself. Wasn't quite as good as the original. Brings back memories.

Marvel_Super_Heroes_Secret_Wars_Vol_1_10_Direct.jpg

Another one as a kid. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #114 by Keith Pollard. Love the perspective.

0fd29f4f753b13a143e25d8e8ae8352b.jpg

This one has always been one of my favourites:

c2e5bc95f93d3477ebf3c5e2c19736e0.jpg

Another by Mike Zeck. Batman #418, part of the "Ten Nights of the Beast" storyline.

616719.jpg

Amazing Spider-Man #233 by John Romita Jr. Love this era of ASM.

3146033.jpg

Yeah, Roger Stern's run on Amazing is my favourite period for Spidey after the original Ditko/Romita Sr issues.

Iron Man #222 by Mark Bright. It would be nice if comics were still 75 cents.

671431.jpg

image.jpg Civil War #3 variant by Jim Cheung, my favorite artist working now.

he reminds me a bit (may just be that cover) of John Romita Jr.

Speaking of...
peter-parker-spider-man.jpg

Detective Comics #408 by the legendary Neal Adams.

tumblr_mrm0by6bnP1rtprkqo1_540.jpg

This thread is getting me nostalgic, may have to pull out my Spidey collection and reread it.

My favorite comic growing up was G.I.Joe, but the Spidey comics were not far behind. I loved the whole "who's the Hobgoblin" subplot as well as his relationships with Mary Jane and the Black Cat.

Yeah, Larry Hama's extraordinary run on GI Joe was a huge part of my childhood, that GI Joe cover I posted in the thread is actually the first comicbook I ever bought on my own, with allowance money. And yeah, the Hobgoblin story was great; I think actually the last really good Spidey comic I read in the 90s was Hobgoblin Lives, when Stern returned to give the final wrap up to the Hobgoblin mystery the way he'd intended.

The first Joe I got was a bagged copy of #1 from Santa in 1983. I read it over and over and the next time I was in a drug store with my parents, I found a copy of #20 on the spinner rack. I became a regular reader from #24 on. I was lucky because that was right before the "Origin of Snake-Eyes" two-parter came out.

Do you recall they used to sell these Archie-sized digest GI Joe comics that had three or four issues in them? I remember filling out my collection with those when I was a kid. I also recall taking all the covers off my GI Joe comics and trying to staple them together as one big book. D'oh!. That was during the "fake Cobra Commander" storyline.

My favourite single issue was a one-off story with Snake eyes and Scarlett on an ocean liner, where they encounter a group of terrorists or something and take them out Die Hard style. What stuck with me was the final battle between Snake Eyes and the leader of the terrorists where he takes off Snake Eye's mask (a rubber human face for public, not his ninja mask) and you just see his screaming reaction. I'd like to figure out what issue that was to get it again.

Yes, I have one of those digests. The only place I ever saw them was at a local grocery store we shopped at. I picked up the digest for issie #21, 22 and an Action Force issue from the UK. Those AF comics were strange. Those digests were cool liltte things.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back