Computer Query - AGU + GPU?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

PolarBlues

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
My desktop computer was built for low-noise/low-energy over performance. It has Ryzen 7 5700G intergrated graphics card, which I am told is pretty OK for everyday use. I don't have any modern AA games, I am more like to play some older games, things like "City of Heroes" or "Shadow Run Returns".

I quite like to play using one monitor while streaming a movie or TV show on a second monitor (actually, a TV set). And that works except but occasionally I the streamed show begins to stutter. It seems to be mostly The Walking Dead that does this for some reason.

As I happen to have a spare Nvidia Geforce GT1030, I figured, why not install that and use the Ryzem APU for the main monitor and the Nvidia for the TV? That too seems to work, except when it doesn't. As the stutter is sort of random, I am not sure I can verify if having both APU and GPU running provides any benefit. Monitoring tools like MWMonitor or NZXT Cam seem to get totrally confused by this setup.

So, the question is, in your expert opinion, is there any point running both the Ryzen and the Nvidia cards or let the Ryzen do its thing unmolested?

My desktop computer was built for low-noise/low-energy over performance. It has Ryzen 7 5700G intergrated graphics card, which I am told is pretty OK for everyday use. I don't have any modern AA games, I am more like to play some older games, things like "City of Heroes" or "Shadow Run Returns".

[ . . . ]

So, the question is, in your expert opinion, is there any point running both the Ryzen and the Nvidia cards or let the Ryzen do its thing unmolested?

The integrated graphics on the Ryzen are roughly in the same league as the GTX1030 performance wise, and I think the load from unpacking video is probably only going to consume a fraction of the capacity of the GPU, ergo the random stutter is likely driven by something that the game is doing. It could be interactions between the drivers but we probably won't get to know why without a lot of fairly in-depth poking about, if at all.

How about: Option 3: Get an old laptop to do the video streaming from?

The integrated graphics on the Ryzen are roughly in the same league as the GTX1030 performance wise, and I think the load from unpacking video is probably only going to consume a fraction of the capacity of the GPU, ergo the random stutter is likely driven by something that the game is doing. It could be interactions between the drivers but we probably won't get to know why without a lot of fairly in-depth poking about, if at all.

How about: Option 3: Get an old laptop to do the video streaming from?

Thanks. That seems to confirm what I had been getting from doing a online research on the matter - there is no benefit in running both the APU and GPU. I'll just take the Nvidia card out, monitor the situation and see if I can find a pattern for the stuttering.

Much obliged.

A little update. I think I may have figured the source of the issue. After carefully monitoring the system, what struck me was how quickly CPU/APU temperatures were getting to their ceiling of 95C. I think that was due to a badly placed (by me) 3rd hard drive reducing the internal ventilation. Once I moved the hard drive to somewhere more sensible, the same apps never raised the temperature much over 50C. I'll keep an eye on it, but I suspect it might be as simple as that.

A little update. I think I may have figured the source of the issue. After carefully monitoring the system, what struck me was how quickly CPU/APU temperatures were getting to their ceiling of 95C. I think that was due to a badly placed (by me) 3rd hard drive reducing the internal ventilation. Once I moved the hard drive to somewhere more sensible, the same apps never raised the temperature much over 50C. I'll keep an eye on it, but I suspect it might be as simple as that.

Thermals is a good spot. The TDP of the 5700G isn't all that hot - about 65W - so one wouldn't normally expect that. One belt-and-braces option would be to get an upmarket fan like a Noctua if you don't already have one. Depending on the size of your case you can get a high spec but quiet cooler for the CPU.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back