Cool Toys

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Heh.

I was looking at that one earlier today. Head looks good, but not a fan of stuff like that lip bite expression. It looks fine, but I prefer a less specific expression. It would be fine on a static scale figure, but not on a articulated posable.

I like this set by the same company.

griffin.jpg

Except it's pretty much only for the outfit. The head on that one doesn't look very good. I'd definitely get it to swap out a different head.

I've thought about this next one for a while.
pompeii.jpg

I think the head is fine on that one, but if I got it, I'd still swap it out. Probably for one with elf ears. That just looks like a possible elf figure to me.

Big Jim from Mattel® was my bag as a kid as far as action figures went. Concealed joints, expanding biceps, karate chop action - Action Man had nothing on these (except for all the cool military gear). Unfortunately the hip joints kept breaking and were beyond my ability to repair, so at some point they all ended up with one stiff leg attached with Sellotape®.

I had Big Jim, Big Jeff, Big Jack, a bunch of clothing & equipment sets I don't remember (I think there was a scuba diver and a jungle explorer kit), and the catamaran. I kept asking for the Karl May Wild West figures, but my parents were going through one of their "only listen to the first half of the kids' sentences" phases so I just got stuff from the basic line.

1669197009647.png

1669197029672.png

1669197282655.png

1669197300194.png

I loved Big Jim. My parents thought it would get me into sports and the outdoors. (I played with the martial arts dojo a lot.) My parents were less enthused when I didn't get into sports and "The Wolf Pack" (espionage/action version came out.) They especially didn't like those toys. Thus I was left with the Mego Super Heroes.

I loved Big Jim. My parents thought it would get me into sports and the outdoors. (I played with the martial arts dojo a lot.) My parents were less enthused when I didn't get into sports and "The Wolf Pack" (espionage/action version came out.) They especially didn't like those toys. Thus I was left with the Mego Super Heroes.
Yup, back in the seventies I had the Big Jim camper as well.
1669323728615.png

I only had some clone with far less articulation. I forget what it was called... I think it was something like Super Active Man?

Last edited:
Well, I guess this is about the best it's gonna get.
rogue80s.jpg

Rogue in her mid/late 80s costume. The hair doesn't look too bad, but that's a lose/lose proposition. Whenever they make it semi-accurate to the comics, it looks like exaggerated parody. So, it's probably better to have it more like her 90s hairstyle and inaccurate to the costume in question like they did. Facial expression is kinda derpy, but I suppose it's tolerably derpy.

And now I'm wishing that I had snagged that Pyro figure and the exclusive "cartoon" Mystique, because nearly all of the mid-80s Brotherhood of Evil Mutants/Freedom Force is now available (or pre-orderable) in figure form. I could complete nearly my entire desired Uncanny X-Men circa #190 - 220 lineup. I'd still be lacking the Marauders, but even then Veritgo is going to be available as a figure, so given that I suppose it's not entirely out of the question that Scalphunter, Harpoon, Prizm, Scrambler, and the others might someday see figures.

Man, I want that, I used to have an older non-Battletech model (it was blue and gray not purple and white though)

I got the notice of it from GoodSmileUS, but it's up for pre-order on BigBadToyStore too. The price isn't bad for these sorts of models, and they also have the Dougram (Shadowhawk).

I was wondering, did they ever do a new version - more expensive, for adult children - of the Zoids?

Hm, those look very similar to the original ones. Are you sure that's a reboot of the toy line? My brother used to own a bunch of them and I always thought they were really cool, if a bit fragile.

IIRC he owned pretty much all of these, except the ones called Cannon, Serpent, Hellcat, Scarab and Znake.

Last edited:
Big Jim from Mattel® was my bag as a kid as far as action figures went. Concealed joints, expanding biceps, karate chop action - Action Man had nothing on these (except for all the cool military gear). Unfortunately the hip joints kept breaking and were beyond my ability to repair, so at some point they all ended up with one stiff leg attached with Sellotape®.

I had Big Jim, Big Jeff, Big Jack, a bunch of clothing & equipment sets I don't remember (I think there was a scuba diver and a jungle explorer kit), and the catamaran. I kept asking for the Karl May Wild West figures, but my parents were going through one of their "only listen to the first half of the kids' sentences" phases so I just got stuff from the basic line.

View attachment 52071

View attachment 52073
Wait, Big Jim!?

Anyway, my jam back in the day...

1674618056249.png 1674618125310.png 1674618181820.png

Also this had a special place.

1674618251432.png

Christmas morning when I got this, me, my brother and cousins spent all day launching plastic discs at each other from various points in the house. Drove the adults nuts. BEST. CHRISTMAS. MORNING. EVER. It was even more fun when my cousins got two more sets and we starting to mount even bigger sieges. Played it till it broke for many years, RIP.

Hot Toys unveils it's 1/6th scale Keaton Batman & 1989 Batmobile

b0.jpgb1.jpgb2.jpgb3.jpgb5.jpgb6.jpgb7.jpgb8.jpgb9.jpgb10.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back