Cool Toys

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Speaking of Haslab, I had a hard time talking myself out of backing their Mandalorian Razorcrest. I don't collect Star Wars toys at all, but a combination of my love for The Mandalorian filling me with Star Wars Nostalgia of my youth, and that it's just such a cool representation really hit my dopamine sensors:

View attachment 27150

View attachment 27151

View attachment 27152

It was easy to talk myself out of this beauty since I focus on supers (mostly). It was painful... but I'm committed to avoid Star Wars LOL. Especially since I added GI Joe to the lineup.

The only two GI Joes I own, my second favourite couple in comics...

41443926_10155800738886238_1151981323380850688_o.jpg

Discovered this doing some bored browsing on BBTS. Mezco 5 points Batman

I don't even particularly like Batman and I still think that looks cool.

Hot Toys are the kind of figures I can spend hours looking at online, knowing I can never justify the price to myself, but this one...this one I want...

spider-man-hot-toys-890x606.jpg

spider-man-classic-suit_marvel_gallery_5fea2711b340c.jpg

Discovered this doing some bored browsing on BBTS. Mezco 5 points Batman

I don't even particularly like Batman and I still think that looks cool.

Mezco's 1989 Batman is really well done...

8076.jpg

They also do the most Frazetta Conan that ever Frazetted...

8027.jpg

I'm going to spam a few more pics, because I just like these and want to share them for the millionth time.

Here are my big Dollfie Dream Macross girls all together in an impromptu concert.

Before I had Sheryl Nome and Freyja Wion, I nevertheless had Sheryl's Wings of Goodbye costume. So my first girl, Amber wore it for this one. And if you look carefully you might see the VF-25 Messiah hidden in there.

And then there's this, where I was looking at a scale figure of Kirika from Shining Resonance, and really wanted to try and make this shot happen. I even did some editing to remove the VF-2's stand. It's a shame that I didn't put it on a background color easier to give it some scenery.

That Keaton Batman is great. We just need the Nintendo Gameboy Batarang from Returns!

Did I accidentally kill the thread with my creepy dolls? :sad:

There was a little bit of Mego stuff upthread with TristramEvans TristramEvans and Supervisor194 Supervisor194 .

Back when I was a little kid, the only Mego stuff I had was the Enterprise playset and a single figure, Mister Spock. A lot of my play pattern involved invisible monsters or scenarios with empty Enterprises like The Mark of Gideon. I always wanted a full bridge crew and some other figures for them to fight.

Back when Diamond Select was doing their Mego style figures and the re-release of the bridge playset, I turned my nose up at it all. I declared all that stuff looked like crap. I was a "serious" collector. So I spent my money on scale figures of unidentified anime girls with big hooters. Maturity.

But when Mego relaunched and I happened to pick up a Spock figure, it all clicked for me, and I really liked the Mego aesthetic. I realized it wasn't necessarily a visual thing, but was instead a tactile thing.

I have a Scotty and McCoy on pre-order right now, so maybe soon I'll finally have the core crew. As a kid I always wanted a Superman, so I decided to order one of those too.

Incidentally, one of the things I learned is that the Mego Married With Children release of Al Bundy is a stealth Star Trek release. The head on that figure is actually made in the likeness of the actor who played Ensign Leslie, one of the redshirts on the Enteprise. He just needs to be put in the proper uniform.

Also ordered a Figures Toy Company Mego style Supergirl. If the quality is decent then I'll probably get a few others they offer.

I also would like the 1/144 model of the Discovery from 2001 made by Starship Modeler, but not enough to pay $170 for it:
View attachment 27182

Good models are a bit pricier than they were when I was a kid. But that amount doesn't seem too bad for a 3 and a half foot long Discovery model.

I could probably paint that to potentially look a bit decent with even my absolute lack of skill. Just hose it down with some white primer. Maybe do some drybrush on a couple of spots. Then get a sharpie and spend days panel lining it.

Good models are a bit pricier than they were when I was a kid. But that amount doesn't seem too bad for a 3 and a half foot long Discovery model.

I could probably paint that to potentially look a bit decent with even my absolute lack of skill. Just hose it down with some white primer. Maybe do some drybrush on a couple of spots. Then get a sharpie and spend days panel lining it.

You're right that it's not a high price for what you get; it's just more than I could justify spending for that sort of thing. More power to those who can.

Owing to a dream I had once. I've got a standing goal of producing a range of 10" Mutant Chronicles action figures and die cast vehicles like the Purple Shark and Necromower. The figures would be like the old Big Jim range but with more of a GI Joe articulation instead of the bulging biceps. I think they'd probably be set up as kits with a printed sheet of fabric that you assemble to make the uniform. I don't know, there needs to be a better way to produce these things without third world sweat shop labor.

The Neca Superman is another one that I really had to struggle with, because it's just so perfectly captures the film...

Neca0.jpg

Neca1.jpg

Neca2.jpg

Neca3.jpg

Was just looking at Hot Toys' Heath Ledger Joker figure, which is absoluely astounding, but it occurred to me of all the hundreds of Joker figures done, in all the various styles, no one's yet attempted one based on what I consider the creepiest visual depiction of him, by Dave McKean in Arkham Asylum

Arkham-Asylum-A-Serious-House-On-Serious-Earth-Review-By-Deffinition.jpg

Storm Collectibles is releasing Gatchaman as fully articulated 1/12 scale. Pricey, but worth it. And nothing is stopping me from having Gatchaman and the crew in my collection.

Missed this post! Going to need to look that up, love some Gatchaman!

Hmm, just looked it up. So far only Mark. If they do the whole team, I'll definitely grab them.

That looks like eeeeevil Superman from III.

It's definitely "I'm about to kick your ass" Supes, not "Hold my hand Lois and we'll float through the sky while you make nonsensical rhymes" Supes

“I can fly! I can FLY!!!”

I don’t remember if she said that but it works for that scene.

I do believe that sequence was my first experience in life of Cringe

The one toyline that I have a complete collection of is the Spectacular Spider-man figures

41488307_10155800736841238_9011982813221617664_o.jpg

I loved the design of these, capturing the unique style of the cartoon perfectly, and was picking them up as they were released.

50980739898_399bb811ef_o.png

50981447736_22b454fdb4_o.png

50981432186_323f1da607_o.png

50981541452_0dde915221_o.png

50981432176_f5b55eaeb0_o.png

50981432161_7e9c5d5b2f_o.png

The Vulture ended up being the hardest to get a hold of and t took me a while to complete my collection because of him. He was one of the last figures released, just after the show had been cancelled, and was seriously under-produced. No store in my area got him, and initial Ebay prices by scalpers were ridiculous. I finally ended up getting him after about a year of watching auctions for around $60...almost more than I paid for every other figure at retail combined, lol. But...there's no peace of mind like that that comes from a completed collection.

50980739878_a8373df550_o.png

Hmm, I don't think this one is to scale...

View attachment 27268

It seems a valiant attempt to address one of the things that haunts a Star Trek toyline. How can you get the playset aspect of the Enterprise along with the WHOOSH vehicle mode of the Enterprise in the same toy. This is basically what you have to do to accomplish that.

Looks pretty cool to me, actually.

I have that Mezco Conan on order.... I mean after all, Conan WAS a Marvel property. It would be obnoxious for me to pass on him, right?

Edit: while I try to be a comic purist, some properties I simply couldn't pass on. That Mezco Popeye/Bluto two-pack is **AWESOME**. I'll try to take some pics this afternoon.

Mezco in particular wounds me in the best way. They're generally not comic-accurate, but damn me if they aren't awesome. They're as close to Mego figures as I can get while staying in my 1/12 scale. I've considered getting into their Rumble Society line... but I've resisted. For now. Besides, who can find them on the aftermarket for below $200 a pop?

I generally stick to their Marvel and DC stuff. If only they met their deadlines...

The one toyline that I have a complete collection of is the Spectacular Spider-man figures

View attachment 27271

I loved the design of these, capturing the unique style of the cartoon perfectly, and was picking them up as they were released.

50980739898_399bb811ef_o.png

50981447736_22b454fdb4_o.png

50981432186_323f1da607_o.png

50981541452_0dde915221_o.png

50981432176_f5b55eaeb0_o.png

50981432161_7e9c5d5b2f_o.png

The Vulture ended up being the hardest to get a hold of and t took me a while to complete my collection because of him. He was one of the last figures released, just after the show had been cancelled, and was seriously under-produced. No store in my area got him, and initial Ebay prices by scalpers were ridiculous. I finally ended up getting him after about a year of watching auctions for around $60...almost more than I paid for every other figure at retail combined, lol. But...there's no peace of mind like that that comes from a completed collection.

50980739878_a8373df550_o.png
Sweet! That Rhino get's two thumbs up.

The best size of action figures is 3.75”. Period!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back