Cool Toys

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
One of the greatest toylines of all time...

50983080993_845d69a211_o.png

(sigh) I remember Toys R Us in the late 80s...
I worked at Toys R Us for a brief spell, maybe 2-3 months before I joined the Corps. It wasn't a bad place to work but the music was maddening. Funny there was a bitter former Marine working there who wasn't too happy to be working there. He would share stories about his part in the invasion of Panama ('member that?)

It seems a valiant attempt to address one of the things that haunts a Star Trek toyline. How can you get the playset aspect of the Enterprise along with the WHOOSH vehicle mode of the Enterprise in the same toy. This is basically what you have to do to accomplish that.

Looks pretty cool to me, actually.

Yeah, I like it myself (assuming there's a top you can pop on when flying it about), but it does make me curious how large an enterprise would need to be to actually be true to scale with the action figures.

Yeah, I like it myself (assuming there's a top you can pop on when flying it about), but it does make me curious how large an enterprise would need to be to actually be true to scale with the action figures.

A TOS Enterprise accurately scaled to a 3.75 figure (1/18) would be about 55 feet in length. The Refit would be a bit bigger, and the Mego figures for TMP are the only Trek figures that have ever been in that scale (maybe also the rare ERTL ones from STIII as well). If we scaled them like the BFF Millennium Falcon from the Star Wars line we could get that down to about 40 feet in length, so about the size of a semi trailer.

I have no idea what scale that is. GI Joes?

It works out as 15/48, but I believe the consensus is that any figure roughly Joe/classic Star WARS size is considered 1/18 even if that isn't 100% accurate. That said, there are nearly no toys whatsoever where the scale is bang-on target.

Edit: You know, I have no idea where the hell I came up with 15/48. But regardless of my completely wrong math, my point was that no scale in toys is absolute, and the old GI Joe, Kenner Star Wars, and similar figures between 3 and 4 inches in height are generally lumped in as 1/18.

Last edited:
The best size of action figures is 3.75”. Period!

Meh. I'd argue this point. It's definitely the best practical scale when you have both character and vehicle interaction like Star Wars or GI Joe. But for other types of lines, I think it varies.

I learned there was a Marvel Legends Retro version Rogue released as a Target exclusive in December. Why does everything have to be a Target exclusive? Transformers Skywarp/Thundercracker was a Target exclusive. Transformers Thrust was a Target exclusive. X-Men Classic Storm/Thunderbird was a Target exclusive. I've managed to hunt all those down, but it was extremely frustrating. This time I spared myself the effort and just paid a scalper.

It's Rogue's early 90s Jim Lee costume. That's not my preference, but it's a solid second. There doesn't seem to be a current figure of my favorite costume. That would be her Inferno era green leotard, long gloves, and thighhigh boots. Of course, any time that version has been done in the past, they exaggerate the already exaggerated hair to a point beyond parody.

Also ordered the three pack with Nimrod in it. Nimrod was my favorite villain of the Uncanny #181 - #210 era. The catch is the Marvel Legends figure doesn't look right. It's probably based on some 90s era version. Still, it's probably as close as I'll ever get to a decent Nimmy figure.

One of the greatest toylines of all time...

50983080993_845d69a211_o.png

I own this whole line. It's the core of my 1/12 scale DC collection which bookends my Marvel collection.

I've replaced a few of their figures with others that came down the pipe I felt were better representations. Man, Mattel *really* dropped the ball with these, instead of upgrading their bucks like so many fans recommended, then they lost the license right when they made their first crappy attempt.

But yeah - this line was fantastic.

I learned there was a Marvel Legends Retro version Rogue released as a Target exclusive in December. Why does everything have to be a Target exclusive? Transformers Skywarp/Thundercracker was a Target exclusive. Transformers Thrust was a Target exclusive. X-Men Classic Storm/Thunderbird was a Target exclusive. I've managed to hunt all those down, but it was extremely frustrating. This time I spared myself the effort and just paid a scalper.

Few things will invoke ire in the collector community these days than saying "Target Exclusive" - the sheer level of incompetence of Target is pretty shocking. Many of their stores are filled with employee scalpers, and a lot of the product never makes it to the pegs, among the "regular scalpers" that often scoop up what little does make it.

Also ordered the three pack with Nimrod in it. Nimrod was my favorite villain of the Uncanny #181 - #210 era. The catch is the Marvel Legends figure doesn't look right. It's probably based on some 90s era version. Still, it's probably as close as I'll ever get to a decent Nimmy figure.

Yeah I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet either for the same reasons. I was cheerleading a Nimrod for years... and here he is... and now I'm more interested in the Fantomex figure. But I don't really want the other two. I probably will pass, as I'm finding my interests more towards Mafex and Mezco these days. I snipe Legends waves now, unless the BAF is *really* good.

I don’t know why Target and Wal-Mart don’t buy more product. I would buy some stuff if I actually saw it. All I see most of the time are empty pegs.

Rogue and Nimmy arrived today.

RogueNimmy.jpg

Nimmy has nearly no practical articulation. He has the joints, but movement is extremely limited. He can't even be posed in his archetypical "I AM NIMROD!" pose. Then again, he isn't really that version of Nimrod.

The Nimrod I'm used to is a bit slimmer, but in hand I kinda like the big bruiser this figure is. I sort of miss the pink accents, but they got the gloss of the figure fairly well which is what I guess the pink sort of shading on Nimmy was always supposed to represent.

Nimmy is pretty good. I'm content with him. He has some alternate fist hands and some palm blasts. He also has some kind of faerie wings (?). Oh, he comes with a different head installed which I immediately swapped out for the familiar red shark face above.

Rogue is more along the line of standard Marvel Legends poseability. The only bad thing is the standard problem that since she has thick plastic hair there's no real neck articulation. She comes default with closed fists, but has the alternate set of getting-ready-to-absorb-you-sugah hands above. I wish she came with an alternate head, though.

And since Rogue is here now, may I present...

CloseEnuff.jpg

The X-Men somewhere around Uncanny X-Men vol 1 #181-#184

Meh, Rogue's costume is completely anachronistic, and I may be biased at the moment, but I think it can work. I mean, in this particular era if she were comic accurate, she'd be in the orange jumpsuit or tunic thing.

Somewhere in a shed in New Zealand
The title of Nobby's upcoming horror film.
You have no idea how close to home that hits. My father was something of a hoarder, and we still have a converted army barracks (shifted onto the farm) full of his junk - and I mean full. At one point there were two Land Rovers, two tractors, two Morris 1100's and 13 Standard Vanguards on the property.

I've never met a hoarder, but I'm fascinated by the psychology behind it.

The final part for the laptop just arrived, and it now has 64GB of RAM and around 4TB of storage. And it works - not too shabby for an ultrabook.

This is also the last generation of Thinkpads that has external removable batteries. I got 9 years out of the previous generation, and in fact they're probably going to go for another few years as hand-me-downs. With a bit of luck I can get at least as much out of this generation.

I've never met a hoarder, but I'm fascinated by the psychology behind it.
In the end my mother instituted a rule that for every car that came onto the place one had to go off. He used to say 'Spare Parts' and 'Memorabilia'.

He was actually hit quite hard in the 2006 grass fires, as quite a lot of junk (not the shed, though) got destroyed in the fire, which got to within a few metres of our house and the shed. He was quite down for a while after that, and when I gave him a secondhand Acorn RISC PC as a Christmas present to do some retrocomputing with it perked him up quite a lot. Mum said she thought it might have saved his life.

I was thinking of getting him an old Silicon Graphics Octane to play with at one point, but he was really going downhill by then - to the point that he couldn't eat properly. He died about three years ago.

He was a fan of both sci-fi and strip cartoons (I got my grounding in sci-fi from his large sci-fi collection), and Ironically I discovered Schlock Mercenary not long after he died. I think he would really have enjoyed that.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that.

Not having parents (or, well, any relationships with them), I can't imagine what the loss of one is like. But I know how hard the loss of someone I love has been, like a hole that never really fills.

However, I was lucky enough to grab one of the limited edition rereleases a few years back :smile:

View attachment 27084

...which is awesome, because it also comes with two suits and a Romita-era inspired Peter Parker option. And that goes perfectly with my Mary Jane Watson Barbie..
Those interchangeable heads remind me of a Six MIllion Dollar Man toy that used to intrigue me immensely as a kid but which I never got: some kind of robot with interchangeable faces. Does this ring a bell for anyone here? I remember staring at the package in wonder at the toy store many times.

Those interchangeable heads remind me of a Six MIllion Dollar Man toy that used to intrigue me immensely as a kid but which I never got: some kind of robot with interchangeable faces. Does this ring a bell for anyone here? I remember staring at the package in wonder at the toy store many times.

Maskatron+Six+Million+Dollar+Man.jpg

Yes. There was a story arc about some villain that made robots that could impersonate a human. I can't remember the details as it was 40 years ago, but robots with interchangeable faces were definitely a thing in the Six Million Dollar Verse.

As a bonus, here's the iconic title sequence:

Didn't the six million dollar man also have "skin" you could roll down to replace the robotics in him? I swear we could do that and pull things out of his arms and legs.

Didn't the six million dollar man also have "skin" you could roll down to replace the robotics in him? I swear we could do that and pull things out of his arms and legs.
That was definitely a thing in the original novels, although I don't remember it much in the TV series. I never had any toys from the franchise, though so I couldn't say anything about that.

I had a Six Million Dollar Man Steve Austin doll when I was very small. I also had his rocket/surgical table playset. But I never had any of the other figures. I don't think I even knew of any others back then other than the Bionic Woman doll.

Yes. I think it was only on one arm. I'm thinking it was his right. The toy basically had a skintight flesh colored latex sleeve. You could roll it up and reveal a "bionic" part in his forearm. It was a little clear rectangle piece with some graphics looking like circuitry embedded in it.

The figure also had a "telescopic eye" where his eye was a lens and you could look through the back of his head to see stuff. He also had a lever on the back to activate his bionic arm to lift stuff. The figure came with an engine block he could hold and lift.

My cousin had a couple of replacement legs that you could put on the Six MIllion Dollar Man doll that had some other gimmicks implanted in them. He never got the actual doll though...

bioniclegs.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back