Cool Toys

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Here's the up-for-pre-order Defender of the Universe Carbotix Series Voltron

0.jpg1.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

(of course, retailing at $699 usd means it's a bit out of my impulse purchase range, regardless of nostalgia factor)

a 1984 Matchbox Voltron III Mighty Lions 5 piece set. This is the complete Voltron robot which is formed by the 5 Lions.

Voltron1.jpg

From Here
My younger brothers had this, but we had no idea what it was at the time. We hadn't seen any Voltron stuff (not sure it was that big, or even available in the UK). I remember the red wings not being that stiff so they ultimately couldn't compete with gravity.

The limbs popping off was cool, although it left disproportionately small legs behind on the body based one (see my Voltron lore is strong!).

I own this one. It was my first big independent purchase and really my first fandom purchase since a couple of Star Trek Models about five years earlier. I love the original Voltron III (locally we saw III first and rerun a couple of times, before II and I was on broadcast.) It is a little soft as a show but held up okay. I have seen the various remakes and sequels of Voltron III. I still like the original (with the occasional eye roll).

I got myself some new goodies recently. I'll just be grabbing stock photos because I can't take a decent picture to save my life.

Firstly, I got that NECA Elvira figure pictured upthread. It isn't great. It isn't horrible. I think it was a bit overpriced. It probably should have been $30 instead of what it cost. The paint job for the legs looks not so good. Her ankle articulation is very strange and looks really bad at any other angle than basic standing. She is also unsurprisingly "top heavy" and her stand is not up to the task of keeping her upright. Still, I'd say she's the best affordable Elvira figure I've ever seen. She has a decent enough sculpt and isn't stylized or cartoony like most of the others.

I got my Fate/Grand Order Jeanne figma. To go along with my Dollfie Dream version of the same.

Jeanne.jpg

I also got the Masterpiece edition of Transformers Blackout. I am not a fan of the Bayformers movies at all, but the Studio Series Blackout toy is a damn fine figure. This Masterpiece version is like a bigger version of the studio series with nearly all the drawbacks from that version completely rectified. There is no hollow undercarriage on this bad boy. Plus, it's a big boy in helicopter mode. Probably one of the best Transformers to date.

MPBlackout.jpg

I got myself a new Macross Variable Fighter. My anniversary edition DX 1/60 VF-25 came in. I haven't transformed it yet. It just looks so beautiful in fighter mode. But the VF-25 Renewal style toys in general are some great figures. They're not too overly difficult to transform, and they just look sleek and sexy as hell.

macrossaniv.jpg

I guess only partially on topic as it's a boardgame and not a toy, I got my copy of Frozen Horror for Heroquest. Lots of cool new bits.

frozen.jpg

And finally, I decided to splurge big. I decided to get a Dollfie Dream I had missed originally, but always regretted not getting. I saw it new in package for a "reasonable" price, and couldn't resist.

So, I got a Shining Resonance Dollfie Dream Kirika

Kirika.jpg

go to Amazon.com and search for playmobil a-team and you'll soon have the answer to your $75 question.

It doesn't take a retail expert to know that landing a contract with Wal-Mart or Target is a big deal. I dig this retro look but do you think it will be popular with kids?

I don't think kids have been the audience for action figures for at least a generation

I don't think kids have been the audience for action figures for at least a generation
There was a time when I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong with that. Now, as with comics, I think the impact on the quality of the product is largely negative.

Kinda tempted by that SuperMobile. Somewhere around 79/80, I thought that vehicle was the coolest thing ever.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back