Corporate Supers - setting ideas

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Edgewise

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of a corporate supers campaign setting for a while. I've mentioned it before, but I've been inspired by recent anime (One-Punch Man and My Hero Academia) as well as some American takes on the idea (mainly The Boys, but I hear The Tick has elements of that). What I like is that it combines the standard superhero tropes with shades of grey while avoiding the edgy or grimdark route. Moral ambiguity derives from negotiating the compromises and temptations that come with existing withing a corporate framework. Experiences with popularity, celebrity and wealth are a nice hook into modern preoccupations with social media and reality TV.

I'll break this up into sections to make it a little more readable.

Origin of superpowers
Anyway, my current approach is a slightly more "realistic" take on superpowers in a slightly more realistic society. The first set of superpowers were caused by a virus invented by a frustrated scientist looking to bootstrap posthumanism by massively enhancing human cognition. The pseudo-sci-fi explanation for how she did this was to use information leakage between parallel timelines to achieve infinitely scalable parallel processing. In other words, intelligence is enhanced by having mental problems solved simultaneously on an unlimited number of parallel timelines, and aggregating the data in the current timeline.

This was only intended for the scientist in question but of course it got away from her and other people manifested these powers. First-generation post-humans manifested these abilities in different ways resembling certain psychic powers: precognition, mind reading, slowing down perceptions, enhancing somatic control, etc. The scientist herself obtained the ability to intuitively understand natural laws, enabling her to produce artifacts of super-science technology. Once these powers (especially super-science) and her high-tech gear started to trickle out, other forms of "superpowers" were developed for different purposes. These include things like genetic enhancement, energy control and interfacing with nanocellular bionic implants.

History of superpowers
Many of these were through government programs, but since viral vectors were a common way of introducing powers to people, some of them got out and some of them were reverse engineered. Super powers are not common, but they have spread beyond the control of the elite.

For a while, most superpowered beings worked for different governments, and this eventually leads to a kind of superpowered world war. The consequences of this conflict are so grim and terrifying that a new kind of Geneva Conventions are drafted. The main principle to emerge is that supers cannot be employed by sovereign governments in any capacity. Sort of like how there is a firewall in the US between civilian and military leadership, this creates a similar barrier between superpowers and government work.

This is where the corporations come in. Superpowers must be registered, and can only be legally used in a limited number of professions. One of the most popular legal uses of superpowers is policing illegal superpowers, and generally speaking, supercorps are privately contracted by municipal governments for this purpose. The corporations make significant profit from downstream marketing of their more popular employees - e.g. merchandising, TV/movie tie-ins, etc.

Campaigning
The default assumption is that PCs are superheroes (i.e. "post-human deputized civilian paramilitaries"), but other possibilities exist such as unlicensed or independent (e.g. "Heroes For Hire") superheroes, superpowered revolutionaries or even secret government superpowered black ops. I'm thinking that the power levels would be high enough that you would really want superheroes to hunt supercriminals, but not so powerful that they can completely ignore mundane military force. They would work in partnership with local police departments under a tight net of regulations, and their wealth and status would depend on their popularity. Managing popularity could have a wide number of benefits that I'd want to code into the game mechanics - things like more resource, more leeway during arrests, more cooperation from authorities and generally more influence.

Of course, there would be plenty of room for corporate intrigue, and all sorts of dark corners in public and private life for the heroes to confront. There's lots of justification for the "hero hunter" trope that you encounter in corporate super anime; disillusioned individuals who violently reject the supercorps and their influence on society. Maybe the PCs find themselves hunted by a group of ruthless and dedicated non-superheroes, like the titular conspiracy of The Boys. Maybe they are "The Boys."

The big picture
Right now, I'm wondering what else I might want to consider for the setting, what kind of rules I'd want to use (although I'm tempted to adapt my "famous" Lark Fantasy rules to Lark Supers), etc. What other things might superpowered people do other than superheroism? I like to imagine that the real world would find many non-combat uses for such abilities, although they would have to be carefully regulated. For instance, I'm sure that a precog would be forbidden from working as a hedge fund manager. But a telepath might be an excellent therapist. Or expert witness. I want to push back a little at the way that things like magic and superpowers are always applied primarily to combat. It makes the world feel a little more lived-in and credible.

So any opinions? Criticisms? Suggestions?

Have you looked at AMP: Year 1 through Year 4? Systems a bit not my style but supers in that come from attempts to enhance soldiers (close to your viral idea) but it failed--only later generations truly got superpowers (it did create a few monsters it seems.) Also, Aberrant aims and sort of (obviously) it failed in terms, because too many people IRL, think about supers when given superpowers in a game. I mean culturally it turns out that players don't want to make a million dollars selling their special super shoes for speedsters (or more) but want to a) fight crime. b) do crime.

In one book there was a critique that obviously missed the point about Aberrant not being "Superfriends" never mind that was like 30 years old when Aberrant came out (or so) and we'd had Watchman, Dark Knight (Blargh) but also other things that reminded some of us that there is still a few of us in the world that if given powers would try and make it better. (and a few to make it worse I'm sure.)

Now as for corporate ideas, I'm going to use some common archetypes:

Bricks: Big, Strong, Durable. These would be a boon for construction, mining, and exploring dangerous environs (science!) Like the depths of the ocean, maybe space (depending on exact powers.) They'd also work as bodyguards, private security (but specifically carefully licensed)

Blasters: They control some force/energy that lets them do massive damage. Now in a corporate setting, this may seem less viable, but again mining/strip-mining and security are useful. Also, experimental physics is another field they'd help propel (maybe literally) the military would love these sorts. If their powers let them smelt, weld, or otherwise perform jobs of similar fine control, they may have a use in manufacturing. Never mind that depending on the powers they might be able to help with toxic spills/oceanic and near-space trash cleanup.

Brains: There are two types of these, inventors/innovators, and psychics. Inventors will be used for all sorts of technology improvements, creating advanced machines, accelerating the technological curve of the world, especially in developing nations. Add to this they also may make some technology obsolete (petroleum-fueled vehicles/plastics). They'll develop computers, robots, security systems for banks, some may be organizational masterminds who can turn a business of any kind into a more synergistic business--meaning the business will grow without the clumsiness of modern corporate upheavals (though they may temporarily make a mess of current businesses, and politics) Brains may often be leaders in some cases.

Psychics will vary, brains are a broad category--some fit in as bricks, blasters, and other archetypes--but they may be able to do more. Advanced security only they can access stored in human minds and locked away from the person's own use, corporate espionage. Allowing instant visualisation of potential products from artists/designers/other Brain types. That's mostly telepathy and cognition powers, telekinesis may be a boon for dealing with microscopic manipulations of materials, allowing macroscopic constructions with the aid of advanced materials other brains come up with. They can serve as advisors, legal aids (probably not outright judges, and not into court system beyond being "advisors") depending on the heft of law since it might violate privacy and the U.S constitution, espionage will be big for them period. IF there is enough spread though they'll counter one another to some degree. They may work incredibly well on missing person cases and in the police system for getting information. Again though pesky laws.

Also look at them as useful for predicting consumer trends, stock market analysis, and more. They may make current news systems obsolete.

The last one though of the four core archetypes is typically named a variety of thinks--Scrapper, Stalker, Feral, Bushwacker. These are people with combat-focused or animal-driven abilities. The former will only be useful if you're doing Corporations per say Cyberpunk or Shadowrun. Though the military may love them. The latter? They may be increasingly useful for organizations because they may allow the study of animal evolution, developing medicines for humans and animals, examining environments on the earth (oceanic, jungles of South America) and so on. The enhanced senses ability is a commont trope for them so anywhere a sense is useful, espionage, detecting lies, even during interviews readin a person's emotional state by scent (Brains might also work here.) They'll probably make could investigators for any field.

Now there are archetypes that stand outside these basic four--often because they're a combination of crossover between one or more archetypes, about the only one I can think that doesn't quite fit with the core four is the Speedster. Anywhere efficiency, travel, and the like is important can use them, from messengers, package and pizza delivery, on up to secure transmission of secret information. Note: In this subgroup are a few variants of "Speed." Those are Flyers, Speedsters, and Teleporters. They'd literally change the course of so many industries as to make tomorrow a very weird place, and quickly. Combine them with an Innovator-Brain and you've got technology prototypes in days instead of decades, research in hours instead of months, depending on the context.

Now interestingly enough this trope actually comes from classic supers teams, usually where the team was created together as opposed to independent heroes who teamed up (compare Fantastic Four and X-men to the Avengers, or Justice League)

We'd definitely see a future nearing singularity, or post-humanism pretty quickly with a number of these types working together. Colonies on the Moon and Mars, terraforming, environmental restoration, space elevators and everything you ever wanted from Star Wars or Trek, although there may be humans behind those things.

Books to look for: "Wearing the Cape" (several backdrop characters work in construction, and other fields, despite being a superheroine coming of age story at first) but it also points out some criminal and corporate uses throughout the series. "Velveteen vs" (whatever) is interesting because one corporation controls the heroes, widespread, and markets them as a bankable, entertainment products. So that adds things like advertising abilities and selling entertainments. Also, consider the use to replace special effects in movies with certain types of the above archetypes.
"In Hero Years, I'm Dead" by Michael Stackpole Has an examination of supers that were turning into pretty much an entertainment racket. Also, look at "The Heroes of Seigal City" series for a different take on this idea. Though in both of these it is interesting how they progress from one end to the other.

Have you looked at AMP: Year 1 through Year 4? Systems a bit not my style but supers in that come from attempts to enhance soldiers (close to your viral idea) but it failed--only later generations truly got superpowers (it did create a few monsters it seems.) Also, Aberrant aims and sort of (obviously) it failed in terms, because too many people IRL, think about supers when given superpowers in a game. I mean culturally it turns out that players don't want to make a million dollars selling their special super shoes for speedsters (or more) but want to a) fight crime. b) do crime.
I admit I'm not really familiar with either one. I mean, I've heard of them but that's as far as it goes.
Bricks: Big, Strong, Durable. These would be a boon for construction, mining, and exploring dangerous environs (science!) Like the depths of the ocean, maybe space (depending on exact powers.)
I like the dangerous environment exploration. Umbrella Academy did something like that.
Inventors will be used for all sorts of technology improvements, creating advanced machines, accelerating the technological curve of the world, especially in developing nations.
I'm thinking that these kinds of supers are among the most restricted. The ability to introduce new technologies at a whim is extremely disruptive, and a big part of how the world got into its current state. Super scientists are probably prominently represented among villains for this reason.
Also look at them as useful for predicting consumer trends, stock market analysis, and more.
Also highly restricted. I'm thinking precogs are required to make all predictions public except in special roles (i.e. superheroes).
The former will only be useful if you're doing Corporations per say Cyberpunk or Shadowrun.
I am thinking there are strong cyberpunk elements to this setting. Not only do you have the advanced technology, but society is in a bit of libertarian phase after the last world war, as sovereign states are not well trusted based on what they did with their supers. Now you'd have a situation with lots of economic disparity, weak central government, etc. I'm not a big fan of cyberspace, but then again certain psychic powers might allow for astral projection that allow entering the dreams of people and the dataspace of computers.
We'd definitely see a future nearing singularity, or post-humanism pretty quickly with a number of these types working together. Colonies on the Moon and Mars, terraforming, environmental restoration, space elevators and everything you ever wanted from Star Wars or Trek, although there may be humans behind those things.
Yeah, the key is to not go too crazy. I don't want to see supers get smothered in a dozen other genres. It's tricky to balance with the implied technological advances, but restricting super science can help to keep it in line.

I'd write more but I really have to get running to an appointment. Thanks for your great feedback!

There was an RPG that addressed this, though it might have been more government than corporate. A.C.E. Supers! was the name of it. Out of print. I distinctly remember merchandise sales being a concern of the PCs. It was put out by Stellar Games (known for It Came From The Late, Late, Late Show), and uses their house system.

I'd also recommend a comic book called The American. It is also about a government hero, but merchandising/marketing is a part of the theme and plot. Originally published in 1987, this was one of those deconstructionist comics that followed in the wake of Watchmen. Hasn't aged as well, though. I wouldn't expect today's young comic reader to get the Michael Dukakis references. Started strong, but kind of fell apart after the first story arc. Still, could contain some useful ideas for "marketing" supers.

I recall having a corporate supers game at one point that's name escapes me. There is also Venture City stories for FATE. And Dark Times (on KS, not out yet I guess?)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back