Create a Character - One Character a Day

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
Here's an attempt to do a character a day for the month of January.

I have Game Night tonight so I'm going to start with Fighting Fantasy.

Name:
Mindeb the Deft
Skill: (d6+6)=12 (It doesn't get any better than this!)
Stamina:sad:2d6+12)=17 (slightly below average)
Luck:sad:d6+6)=7 (this is as bad as it gets)

Inventory
Sword
Backpack
Lantern
Provisions
Potion of Skill

Well that was fast. I think it took less than five minutes to look up the entire character creation rules and make a character. FF for the win for qhick chargen.

I may try, but I have to catch up. So Icons, or MSH, or H&S2E (rolled!)
Woot.

1st Catchup: H&S2E
Name: The WarSpider
Drive: Responsibility
Might: Average Human*
Agility: Exceptional Human*
Toughness: Average Human*
Intellect: Exceptional Human
Knowledge: Average Human
Resolve: Exceptional Human

Powers:
Alternate Form: Tarantula/Hybrid-Human/Tarantula "WarSpider" form
Attack: Exceptional Superhuman (Enhanced Strength)
Defense: Small Size/"Defense Hair" (Exceptional Superhuman in Tarantula form to hide or blind with "hair" but see Armor)
Movement: Leaping (Exceptional Superhuman in Hybrid form. Exceptional Human as Tarantula)
Manipulation: None
*All physical abilities become Superhuman in Hybrid Form.

Armor: Exceptional Superhuman Armor.
While an ordinary spider, even a Tarantula is not terribly hard to squish (though they can survive being run over by a car in fortunate cases.) In either
nonhuman forms they have very resilient armor, comparable to a light tank. Woe be to the car that hits this spider!

Thumbnail: During a Military Test Lt. Cmdr Weiss was struck by an attack of an experimental chemical weapon which gave them the powers to assume two different Alternate forms that of large tarantula, or a hybrid tarantula and human form, both with enhanced Armor, and they were given a special item, a high tech bracer which adapts to their transformation and allows them to access military databases, and communication lines, as well as translate sounds they could create to human speech. The bracer is as resilient as The WarSpider

Not the best name I'll admit but its 2am :grin:

This uses one of the optional character generation methods: The thumbnail origin, and then complete random powers/stats generation. Modelling is still the standard method.

OK, I'm gonna give this a go. Since this is day two, I'll go ahead and post two today. Both made with Onedice Pulp, they are two fisted action heroes. (both built using the alternate 8 points for attributes)

Electric Ghost
Strong 3, Clever 2, Quick 3, Weird 0
Health 9, Defence 9, Move 30
Bruiser 2 (4), Sneaky 1, Intimidate 2, Perception 1
Martial Artist (+2 Bruiser)
"Killer Right Hand" Electric Stun Glove, if you hit the target, the number of points you beat the target’s Defence by equals the number of minutes the victim falls unconscious - they do not take any actual injury. In addition, worn armour does not count towards a target’s Defence.
The Electric Ghost stalks the means streets, in the shadows. Fighting crime, dealing out justice with his killer right hand.

Noman
Strong 2, Clever 2, Quick 2, Weird 2
Health 6, Defence 6, Move 20
Bruiser 1, Disguise 2, Dodgy 1, Investigation 1, Security 1
Cloud Minds, You gain this Talent as a Skill, initially at a rating of 1. Once purchased you can improve it with ordinary Skill points. You can make people forget your presence in a scene by beating them in a contest of your Cloud Minds (Weird) v their Weird (or Clever -1 if they don’t have Weird).
Handgun, Small (FN M1900) Damage 2 Range 10 Magazine 7
Noman infiltrates through disguise and/or sneaking into criminal organizations. Exposing them to the police and press. Gained the ability to cloud minds learned from a shaman. While lost in the jungle of Brazil.

Day 2 Ringworld by Chaosium
I considered using the companion as well but didn't see something that enticed me.

Name: Markus Delochet
Chronological Age: 34
Biological Age: 23
Species:Human
Homeworld: Earth
Gravity: normal

Strength 12
Mass 15
constitution 13
intelligence 13
power 15
dexterity 15
appearance 15
education 20

Damage Modifier +1d3
General HP: 28
Health Roll:39
Reasoning Roll:39
Luck Roll: 45
Dodge Roll: 45
Speed 3m

Hit Locations
Arms 7
Legs 9
Head 9
Abd 9
Chest 10

Education :200
Pursuits: 160 = 7(colonist x3,explorer x3, scientific researcher x1)=140 pursuit skill points
Special Interest: 130

Atmospheric Craft25
Anthropology25
Ground Vehicle20
Heavy Weapon(energy)25
Observe30
Planetology20
Search25
Track20
Biology60
Botany35
Listen20
Repair15
Zoology40
Emergency Treatment15
Personal Flyer30
Mathematics20
Computers20
Chemistry25

Wealth (7*100)+(6*1000)=6700

I was fine making this character until the skills section. 4 separate limited skill lists to allocate skill points to, various base levels I didn't even bother with and a Root and specific breakout that while probably accurate for the setting was more confusing than my tired midnight brain wants to deal with.

Steve Kost

Strong 3, Clever 2, Quick 2, Weird 0
Health 9, Defense 11, Move 20
Bruiser 2, Intimidate 2, Ship Handling 1, Swim 1
Body of Bronze
Steve is a bar brawler, a drinker, a boxer, a sailor, and an all around near do well.
(Onedice Pulp)

Lets see 2 to make up first is ICONS

Deluge
Maddi Rhodes

Prowess: 6
Coordination: 5
Strength: 6
Intellect: 6
Awareness: 6
Willpower: 5

Stamina: 11
Determination: 2

Powers:
Element Control (Water): 6
-Deluge (Blast, Physical)
Aquatic: 5
Adaptation: 4
Leaping: 3

Maddi Rhodes was a deep sea explorers, who enjoyed diving, submersible excursions and attempting to drive our knowledge of our the Ocean to a deeper degree than ever before, hit by an underwater "river" she was unfortunately submerged way beyond her crafts means to protect her, and it was crushed under pressure. But something in the greatest depths, something sapient, something benevolent, and something very advanced rescued Maddi, and imbued her with advanced powers to continue her exploration of the wonderful world awaiting us where we do not trust to tread. Her only memory was a voice in her head saying "Welcome." to her echoing as she sought the surface, to show her team she lived.

Maddi is transformed by some unknown species and has been gifted with control of water, adaptation to living and moving in the water, as well as face other threats below and above the surface of the water. She continues her scientific exploration but has added an increased awareness of fighting to save our oceans, and seas from toxins and pollutants for "whoever" is below.

Specialties:
Athletics
Science (Oceanography) +2

Qualities:
Titaness of the Tides
Ambassador to the Unknown
Surging Seeker of Aquatic Sciences!

Now to catch up MSH:

Name: Rebound (Allen Whately)
Origin: Altered Human
Resources: Typical (5)
Popularity: 0/5

F Excellent 16
A Remarkable 26
S Remarkable 26
E Excellent 16
R Excellent 16
I Excellent 16
P Good 8

Health: 84

Powers (4/4)
Stunning Missile-Remarkable 26
Regeneration-Remarkable 26
Teleportation-Incredible 36

Talents (3/4)
Trance
Geology
Martial Arts B

Contacts (0/2)

Allen Whately, was a shy, quite college student, he heard "I like you as a friend," enough times to know it could have been a brush off, but being who he was he tried to live up to being that friend, he didn't get angry.

What most people didn't know, is that as a child and teen he'd had a temper like lightning, hot, fast and ready to strike. He made his way through his rough neighborhood by learning to hit faster than anyone else, including his abusive dad, when he knocked out his dad in a fist fight, the government finally took notice of the bruised teen, and threatend him with time over the assault. Though his father didn't press charges, somewhat happy his boy had grown hard and tough, Allen, was still fuming inside, he wanted to win and humiliate his dad, not make his dad proud.

A chance encounter with a shy computer geek, set his world on end. The other young man reached out to him, and wrote a nice note via email to him when he was released, and sadly, back with his dad. The other young man had known bullying, and he knew that while Allen hadn't been a bully, he suspected someone in his life had been. he'd seen the bruises. Over the course of a few weeks, they became real friends, and the quiet young man, taught him how he controlled "the mad." By controlling himself through meditation, he'd been born in some country Allen had never heard of, Latvia, Latveria, something. Allen listened, and learned. After a few years, they'd made plans to take college by storm, when his friend, Janek, came out to him. Although with trepidation.

Allen, laughed, heartily, happily that his friend had trusted him enough to share what he'd already suspected. He'd known, but said nothing.

The two remained friends, when some bullies went to far, and beat Janek nearly to death. Allen knew he could control his anger but he didn't, instead he lashed out at the boys who'd hurt the one friend who'd he'd found. None of them walked away, but Allen.

Allen's guilt tore him up inside, and so he sat with Janek for months, and helped keep him working on his rehab, while Allen studied hard. Both got into the same school, for science. Janek for computer science, Allen, for geology. Where he applied himself. No one knew the guilt that drove him to quiet, gentle shyness, almost mimicking his friend. While Janek had found a welcome home amid other LGBT+ students, Allen who was rough hewn to say the least, lived quietly pursuing the few girls who showed some interest. Janek and Allen remained friends and both worked hard. During a work study program he was caught in cave in, and spent a few days searching for a way out for him and his injured professor when he discovered a strange crystal formation where he found a small loose stone he took with him, as he turned away, mentally marking the place in his head. Eventually the professor, severely dehydrated, and Allen managed to find a way out--Allen suffered less due to both the crystal and his ability to enter into a trance.

When rescued his friend Janek threw him a huge party where he met a girl, who actually seemed to be interested, though the course of a few months though he offered her a piece of jewelry as a gift, made with the strange stone. Seeing it wasn't diamond or anything she recognized she threw it at him and stomped off, telling him he'd just been her rebound anyway. The crystal though? It shattered to dust around him and changed him even more.

Janek consoled his friend, and they joked about the rough life they'd both had. He said he imagined that be his life--always the Rebound.

Through the rest of college was quiet, Janek began noticing the small things about Allen that were different, how he never seemed to get hurt doing strenuous labor in the geology department, though others occasionally checked into the nurse with cuts and bruises, Allen had none. Thinking he was playing tough guy again, Allen explained that /something/ had changed in him, as he hefted a heavy couch one handed. Janek was amazed, and like Allen before, promised to keep his secret. It wasn't until Allen's first adventure, as the hero known as Rebound, who seemed untouchable, quick, strong and able to stun opponents without lasting harm that Janek knew his friend had found his calling. Allen still considers Janek his best friend, and who helps him with fighting crime using his computer skills to aid the less technically included "Rebound."

Guilt still drives Allen, and so he uses his stunning attacks far more than someone with his strength and fighting ability might otherwise, but its far gentler than even a "tap" from large young man's powerful fists.

roll 10, 7, 14, 12, 11, 8

Index Card Stuff

Ali bin Gawahr ibn Tawheed, a.k.a. 'Mad Ratter'
Halfling Fighter
Stats -- STR 9, DEX 8, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 8
Saves -- PPD 14, RSW 16, Pet/Poly 15, Breath 17, Spell 17
Weapon Spec.: Short Sword
Gear: leather armor, small shield, club, darts (9x in quiver), short sword, knife, backpack o' survival stuffs.
Pets: hound, terrier, ferret.

TMI STUFF
Halfling:
Poison Resist +1 @3.5 CON (Poison Save 12)
Magic Resist +1 @3.5 CON (RSW 14, Spell Save 15)
Hurl/Sling Weapons +1 atk
Surprising -4
Infravision 60'

Has a job maintaining the rodent population in his neighborhood, inculding sewers. Eventually comes across strange "adventure stuff" and his job gives plausible deniability reason to travel there.

I needed a laugh
So deadEarth charge it is!

Name : Bill Mavrick the maybe Geriatric, Insomniac Gambler with a destiny!
Moves (2d6)=6+1
Resiliency (d6+3)=7+1
Strength =0+1+6
Age (d100)= (64)(90,74 pick one-90 roll again and choose height/weight)(19)= 19
Height=6'2"
Weight= 250lbs
Skill points = 150+d6*10=190
Max carrying weight=30+(str*10)=40lbs nope =30+(7*10)=100lbs?
this is a good place to point out that according to the game a strength of 3 is supposed to be Arnold Swartzenagger (sp?) Level. Anything over 3 is superhuman. So Bills mighty 7 strength means he can lift 100lbs? I really hope I miss read something.
Players Choice +6 str
Renown=0
Money(3d6*100)=900

Ok now it's time to do
1)Natural Abilities/Inabilities
2)Skills
3) Radiation Manipulations

1) Natural stuff
Oh thank God only 3 and all were 12's. Beast ride,resolve and ws blade
I just want so say that measly 3 took waaay to much time to determine. I grabbed the character sheet pdf and tried to just paste it into a Google sheets page. Didn't paste nicely so there was massaging/manipulating down right just typing to get that in so I could role 2d6 100 times and see if I got a 1 or 12 in any skills. So annoying.

2) Skills
Ok lets get all the skills we're good at.
Beast Lore 4d6 30pts
Beast Ride 3d6 10pts
Running 4d6 30pts
Senses 4d6 30pts
Intuition 4d6 30pts
Reason 4d6 30pts
Resolve 3d6 10pts
WS Blade 3d6 10pts
WS Melee 3d6 10pts
So another annoying step. Skills have prerequisites however you have to go to each skill to see what they are and they can cascade for quite a while. I rolled bonus to Resolve which requires Reason which requires Intuition which requires Senses and Running. So of my 190 points to spend I spent 130 just to get a bit of skill in Resolve.
none? WTF? Aw crap somehow I made a totally survivable PC in deadEarth. Fuck. Guess the joke was on me.
Dyson Logos Dyson Logos Did I do this right?

Lets roll 4 times for fun
484 Insomnia
285 Geriatric -2 resiliency, str, moves
820 Rite of Destiny (lets not do that right now)
864 Gambler gain a skill point every time you roll gamble.

Even post some mutations this guy seems playable. deadEarth you let me down.

Last edited:
I may make a try at this tomorrow, though the games i like best often require some formatting to display a character in a non-incoherent way.

All right!

I’m going with Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea (2nd edition) — an amazing game I’ve long wanted to play and/or run.

Karavur Rhaan
Male Hyperborean Warlock (Ice Lord), level 1, Neutral

Str 16, Dex 15, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 7

AC: 4, HP: 6, Fighting Ability: 1, Casting Ability: 1

Height: 6’10” (2.05m), weight: 220lb (99kg)

Deity: Boreas is the ancestral patron of his family, though Kthulhu

Secondary Skill: boat-/shipwright

Gear: Scale armor, small shield, morning star, hand axe (2), backpack, bandages, ink and quill, soft leather pouch, tinderbox, torches (2), wineskin (full), iron rations, spell book (with the spells identify, magic ice dart and sorcerous mark inscribed)

Description: Tall and gaunt, with a scraggly beard, platinum-blonde like his hair. High cheekbones and pale complexion frame purple eyes that gaze upon the world, wary and rapacious at once.

Background: Haughty scion of a dying race, Karavur’s ancestral fastness in the frozen wastes has been torn asunder, his father and brothers slaughtered by his perfidious uncle, a Necromancer, in the deadly intrigues of Hyperborean families. Escaping with barely his life, Karavur fled south, has since been plagued with dreams of a powerful artifact somewhere beneath the Spiral Mountains; an iron-gray crown of exquisite, ancient design, marked with the seal of the Ashen Worm and guarded by a savage tribe of boar-headed sub-men.

Last edited:
If anyone has a system request I'm open to ideas

I needed a laugh
So deadEarth charge it is!

Age (d100)= (64)(90,74 pick one-90 roll again and choose height/weight)(19)= 19

none? WTF? Aw crap somehow I made a totally survivable PC in deadEarth. Fuck. Guess the joke was on me.
Dyson Logos Dyson Logos Did I do this right?

Yeah, for some reason young characters have fewer mutations than old characters even though they all have been exposed to the toxins and radiation of the deadEarth for exactly the same length of time.

BESM 2nd ed, built on 35 pts, using hotrod and guns skill costs for a pulp adventure game.

Steve Kost

Body 10
Mind 3
Soul 4

Physically Unappealing 1

Boating 1
Intimidation 2
Unarmed Attack 2

CVA 5
CVD 3
Health 70
Energy 35

Steve Kost is a hard drinking, hard fighting, boxer and sailor. Finds himself falling into adventures all across the shadier areas of the south china seas.

Time for another Icons character! Whoo!

Name: Hammering Thunder
(Cai Shao)

Prowess: 7
Coordination: 6
Strength: 5
Intellect: 3
Awareness: 6
Willpower: 5

Stamina: 10
Determination: 3

Powers:
Strike (8)
Danger Sense (7)

Specialties:
Martial Arts 2 (Expert)
Power- Strike 3 (Master)
Athletics

Qualities:
Hidden Depths of the Heart.
Driven by Destiny
Master of his chosen weapon.

Cai Shao was a friend of a heroine named Dragon Dancer, he looked upon her as a personal hero for being an inspiration, but when she turned for a time evil under a terrible villains power, Cai Shao was abducted from his home and secreted away to a hidden monastery where he trained to oppose her. He was taught to transcend his mere senses, and to strike powerful blows, from many direction using his whirling meteor hammer to mete out justice for those oppressed under evil's thumb. Including his former friend, however, he sought her freedom and redemption as well. Now both act as heroes of the United Pacifica Protectors team.

Last edited:
Let's see how to properly display a Fragged Empire 1e character:

Jetmey, Nephiliim Hybrid

Level 1

Resource: 3
Influence: 3

Strength 3
Reflex 4
Move 3
Focus 2
Intelligence 2
Perception 4

Defense: 14
vs. Impair: 16
vs. Psionics: 16
vs. Stealth: 14

Armor: 2
vs. Energy: 2
vs. Slow: 3
At 0 END: 2

END: 20
Stealth: +3
Combat Order: 2

SKILLS:

Wealth -2, Conversation -3, Leadership -2, Culture -4, Physical* +2, Resolve -2, Awareness* +1, Survival* +1; Mechanics -2, Electronics -2, Programming -2, Biotech* +2 , Medicine -2, Psychology* +1, Astronomy -2, Planetoids* +1; Small Arms* +1, Heavy Arms -2, Tactical -2, Exotic* +2; Command -2, Engineering -1, Operations* +1, Gunnery* +1; High X'ion

* Trained Skills
Does not include Kits

TRAITS:

Nephiliim: +1 Bio Tech, Engineering, and Exotic, +1 to all Spare Time Rolls, +1 Recovery, Gain Language: High X’ion or Primal X’ion; -1 Conversation,
-2 Culture, Complication: Prejudice from Kaltorans and Legion.

Agile Build (Minimum Reflex 3, Armor 0-3): +1 Physical, +1 Stealth, +1 Armour vs Slow.

WEAPONS:

Spine Glove: Hit +0, End Damage 4, Crit Damage 2, Range 3, Clips 4, Ammo15, Load 0, ROF 3, Weight1, Weapon Type: Gun, Spine Launcher, Cost: 1; Small, Bio Tech, Modification: Low Quality.

Arghjack Spores: Hit +0, End Damage 3, Crit Damage 2, Range --, Clips --, Ammo --, Load 1, ROF 2, Weight 0, Weapon Type: Melee, Injector, Chemical, Death Spores, Cost 8t; Attacks from this Weapon don’t break Stealth, Slow, Gain Strong Hit +1 if you are behind your Target,
your Target, Bio Tech, Once per Action: if a character dies to this Weapon: this Weapon gains Splash +1 for that Attack.

Includes combat skill base

OUTFIT:
Regenerative Splice: Armor 2, Endurance -5, Slots 10, Weight 2, Cost 1; Bio Tech, Removal of this Outfit requires a succesful Surgery Healing Roll.

UTILITY ITEM:

Burst Shield: Front Cover +2, Weight 1, Cost 1; Shield, Gauntlet, Take Cover Action grants you Immunity to Critical Hits while you have Endurance and are Gaining a Cover bonus

Jetmey is an explorer and occasional assassin for the Eden Brood. She's a big believer in never getting into a fair fight.

Basic 5e straight Standard Array, randomized race, class, background, & wealth.

[Welsh-esque Elven Name]
Wood Elf, Wizard, Acolyte
Lv: 1. PB: 2. Spd: 35. Init: +3
STR 15, DEX 16, CON 13, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 8
Wealth: 30gp. AC: 13. HP: 7
Skills: Perception (race) +2, Insight (bkrd) +2, Religion (bkrd) +3, Stealth +5 & Persuade +1 (free choices).
Gear: Longbow, 2x Short Swords, wand arcane focus, explorer pack.
Cantrip: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Ray of Frost
Spellbook: Comprehend Languages*, Detect Magic*, Identify*, Mage Armor, Shield, Sleep.

Does emergency weddings, baptisms, and funerals in the hinterland. Wishes he could have a cougar as a pet so he can be like his favorite action novel hero: two short swords and a cougar is similar to two scimitars and a panther! :goof:His obsessive fandom strains potential friendships.

Day #4
Hollow Earth Expedition
#1 Pick Archetype
Soldier - Army WW1 vet

#2 Motivation
Escape - Memories of the war haunt him. He can no longer live in the civilized world

#3 Primary Attributes (15 pts)
Body: 3
Dex: 3
Str: 3
Cha: 2
Int: 2
Will: 2

#4 Secondary Attributes
Size 0
Move Str+dex=6
Perception Int+Will =4
Inititive Dex+int = 5
Defense Body+dex-size = 6
Stun body=3
Health Body+Will+Size=5

#5 Skills (15 Pts)
Athletics : 2
Archery:1
Brawl :1
Craft - Carpentry:1
Drive:1
Firearms:2
Firearms - Rifle:1
Melee:1
Ride:1
Stealth:2
Survival:2

#6 Talent/Resource (pick 1)
Accuracy
Long Shot

#7 Flaws (optional)
Illiterate

#8 Spend Starting EXP
Buy another Talent (Long Shot)

#9 Description

#10 Style
1 pt for Flaw

OK, let me try with a not often used system that I think was wrongly underestimated at its own time.

MegaTraveller

Nils Borgstrom
He was born strong, quick and tough, without being overly smart. An ideal sailor from the wet navy!
Or so his dad advised him. He turned out to be right.

Character Summary
UPP:
ADD877 (Starting was something like ACB757...yes, rolled with 2 dice in order).

HomeWorld:
StarPort=A, Size=Medium, Atmos=Standard, Hydro=Wet
Population=High, Law=Moderate, Tech=High Stellar

Terms:
Career:
Sailor
Captain (Rank 5)
Skills:
Navigation-2, Small Watercraft-2, Brawling-1, Communications-1, Demolitions-1, Forward Observer-1, Mechanical-1, Streetwise-1, Submachinegun-1, Computer-0, Grav Vehicle-0, Handgun-0
Cash:
30000 Cr
Pension:
10000 Cr/Year
Skills/Experience:
11 / 12
Benefits:
Traveller's Aid Society membership

Like everyone else, he knew the basic of computers and driving. Nothing amazing. Soon after enlisting as a sailor, he was better at delaing with small Watercraft (skill-1) and knew the basics of using a handgun.
In his first term, he had no mishaps, and was commissioned to Ensign first, then promoted to Lieutenant (1 bonus skill). Good food improved his stamina and he learned to be observant of the ship's (and his own) surroundings, to navigate and to avoid brawls in the places where his mats wre bringing him to drink (+1 Endurance Forward Observer-1 Navigation-1 Streetwise-1).
In the next 4 years he gained almost without issue a promotion to Lt. Commander and had some special duties...he refuses to talk what they were even to close friends. But he'd been sent to special courses and years later, his mates noticed he'd been taught how to handle a submachine gun and had an even better hand for anything requiring coordination.
On top of that, the captain taught him how to navigate better, compensating for his somewhat lacking education. (+1 Dexterity Submachinegun-1 Navigation-2).
In the third term he'd received a Promotion to Commander and had new special duties assigned. Soon after his mates noticed he knew how to rig explosives and was even better at driving the small wateercrafts. They decided not to ask on their own volition (+1 Endurance Small Watercraft-2 Demolitions-1).
In the next term he was dirtying his hands with the mechanics, when he was promoted Captain...and obviously had had new special duties nobody was asking abot (but the comm guys noticed he was strangely well-informed). He barely avoided discharge, though, and pumped some exercises to compensate for his years (+1 Strength Communications-1 Mechanical-1). Not that he was feeling them yet... (he avoided completely the effects of aging).
He wasn't promoted any more, though - he referred to "glass ceiling" and trained extensively in ungloved fighting to compensate, which managed to prevent any stamina loss due to age - though his strength still declined to "merely outstanding". He also said his special duties were "nothing hard, but disappointing".
Was that the reason he retired though he could have served more? Or was the "glass ceiling" for captains without university years? Nobody knows. But he did exactly that (+1 Endurance Brawling-1, strength has reduced from 11 to 10, no loss of dexterity, endurance has reduced back from 14 to 13).
So he took his 30k credits, the few books he had amassed - he still wasn't much of a reader - and his Traveller's Aid Society memberhip that nobody knew how he had received (had they asked, he'd have explained it was due to helping a TAS member)...and went on to enlist to a starship.
As a mate.
"It's worth it to see the stars", he said. "And anyone who thinks to give me a hard time...well, I can punch him through the hull!"
(MUSTERING OUT (8 rolls)
cash roll of 5 - 10000 Cr.
cash roll of 5 - 10000 Cr.
cash roll of 4 - 10000 Cr.
benefits roll of 2 - +1 Int
+1 Intelligence
benefits roll of 7 - Traveller's
benefits roll of 3 - +1 Edu
+1 Education
benefits roll of 7 - Traveller's
benefits roll of 3 - +1 Edu
+1 Education)

System: Space: 1889 (GDW, 1988)

Name: George McRae
Weight: 120lb
Careers: Navy/Petty Officer, Engineer
Wealth: £30
Income: (nothing left after expenses)

STRENGTH: 1

AGILITY: 4
Stealth: 3
Marksmanship: 1 (rifle)
Mechanics: 4 (steam)

ENDURANCE: 3
Wilderness Travel: 2
Swimming: 1

INTELLIGENCE: 6
Observation: 7
Engineering: 3 (naval architecture)
Science: 1 (physics)
Gunnery: 1 (machinegun)

CHARISMA: 5
Eloquence: 4
Linguistics: 2 (Koline; Syrtean)

SOCIAL LEVEL: 2 (tradesman class)
Riding: 1 (Gashant)
Leadership: 1

Born to a steam-engine mechanic who kept a spinning mill running, George McRae's development was severely affected by a Polio infection, which left him permanently weakened. Nevertheless, he managed to enlisted in the (Aerial) Navy in 1877, where he quickly worked his way up from stoker to a P.O. in the engineering division. During complicated repairs on Mars George caught the eye of the head of the Syrtis Major Naval shipyard, whom he talked into taking him on as an assistant.

Over the years, his keen observation permitted George to pick up a considerable amount of skill and knowledge about steam propulsion and aerial and ether flyer building, which he puts to good use by refitting captured Oenotrian screw galleys with splendid triple expansion engines of his own design. And they almost never explode.

In his none too ample free time George gallops about the countryside hunting on Gashant-back despite his lackluster marksmanship, scaring the Martians with his Yosamite Sam impression.

Day 2 Ringworld by Chaosium
I considered using the companion as well but didn't see something that enticed me.

Name: Markus Delochet
Chronological Age: 34
Biological Age: 23
Species:Human
Homeworld: Earth
Gravity: normal

Strength 12
Mass 15
constitution 13
intelligence 13
power 15
dexterity 15
appearance 15
education 20

Damage Modifier +1d3
General HP: 28
Health Roll:39
Reasoning Roll:39
Luck Roll: 45
Dodge Roll: 45
Speed 3m

Hit Locations
Arms 7
Legs 9
Head 9
Abd 9
Chest 10

Education :200
Pursuits: 160 = 7(colonist x3,explorer x3, scientific researcher x1)=140 pursuit skill points
Special Interest: 130

Atmospheric Craft25
Anthropology25
Ground Vehicle20
Heavy Weapon(energy)25
Observe30
Planetology20
Search25
Track20
Biology60
Botany35
Listen20
Repair15
Zoology40
Emergency Treatment15
Personal Flyer30
Mathematics20
Computers20
Chemistry25

Wealth (7*100)+(6*1000)=6700

I was fine making this character until the skills section. 4 separate limited skill lists to allocate skill points to, various base levels I didn't even bother with and a Root and specific breakout that while probably accurate for the setting was more confusing than my tired midnight brain wants to deal with.
You rolled a young'un... Working on a very old character leaves you really trying to figure out how to allocate the skill points, and how many skills to run up to 800 (I think that was the maximum effective skill).

You rolled a young'un... Working on a very old character leaves you really trying to figure out how to allocate the skill points, and how many skills to run up to 800 (I think that was the maximum effective skill).
Yeah I noticed that and was sooo happy about it at the time.

Yeah I noticed that and was sooo happy about it at the time.
For comparison, here's the character I rolled up way back when...

Explorer's Name - not named
Player - Frank Filz
Gender - Male
Chronological Age - 384
Physiological Age - 30
Species - Human
Homeworld - Plateau
Gravity - Normal
STR: 14 MAS: 12 CON: 13 INT: 12 POW: 13 DEX: 13 APP: 13 EDU: 13
Money: 82,800

Pursuits Workspace (Occupation/Years/Occ. Points/Wealth)
Explorer 2813-2853 (40) 800/1/40
Colonist/Scholar 2714-2760-2815 (99) 1980/1/99
Colonist/Scholar 2615-2660-2714 (99) 1980/1/99
Functionary 2584-2615 (31) 620/3/93
Soldier (4th Kzinn War) 2564-2584 (20) 400/1/20
Scholar (Canyon) 2551-2564 (13) 260/1/13
Colonist (Canyon) 2521-2551 (20) 400/1/20
Soldier (3rd Kzinn War) 2511-2531 (20) 400/1/20
Prisoner 2510-2511 (1) 20/0/0
Artist (Political) 2485-2510 (25) 500/0/0
General Schooling 2482-2485 (3) 60/0/0

AGILITY Root Max 27%
Archaic Melee Weapon 27%
Athletics 27%
- Acrobatics 50%
- Climb 50%
- Run 50%
- Swim 50%
Hide 50%
Sneak 50%
Unarmed Combat 610%
V. Sword, F. Laser 27%
COMMUNICATION Root Max 25%
Bargain 300%
Debate 300%
Fast Talk 300%
Fine Arts 25%
- Political 205%
Orate 300%
Own Language 60%
Psychology 20%
KNOWLEDGE Root Max 25%
Anthropology 25%
- Cultural 1000%
- Archaeology 111%
Astronomy 25%
Biology 25%
Botany 25%
Chemistry 25%
Computers 25%
- Software 50%
- Hardware 50%
Emergency Treatment 25%
- Human 100%
Engineering 100%
Farming 50%
History 25%
- Kzinn Wars 620%
- Colonization 810%
Law 40%
Physics 10%
Planetology 25%
- 3 colony worlds 83% each
Strategy 100%
Zoology 25%
PERCEPTION Root Max 26%
Handgun, Energy 26%
- Stun Pistol 75%
- Laser Pistol 75%
Heavy Weapon, Energy 26%
- Slaver Disintegrator 50%
- Laser Rifle 75%
Listen 100%
Observe 1000%
Search 100%
Track 100%
TECHNICAL Root Max 25%
Atmospheric Craft 25%
- Flycycle 100%
Ground Vehicle 25%
- Versatrak 75%
Personal Flyer 25%
- Lift Belt 100%
- Thruster Belt 100%
Reactionless Drive 25%
- Explorer Survey 100%
- Lander 100%
Weapons System 25%
- Laser Canon 50%

Hmm, no 800% skills, two 1000% skills... But definitely remember it was crazy trying to allocate all that...

Day 5
Talislanta the Savage Lands
1) Choose Archetype - Kasir Tomb-Raider

Background - See book nothing mechanical to select here.

Attributes Str +1 Dex +4 Con -1 Spd -1 Int +3 Will +0 Per +0 Cha -2

HP 18 Renown 0

Special - none

Skills
Appraise Slaves 3, Appraise Trade Goods 5, Archaen Traps 2, Basic Engineering 3, Escape 5, Knife 5, Primitive Traps 5, Sneak-Thief 3, Spear 8, Spoken Nomad 10, Subterranean Lore 2, Survival (Desertlands) 2, Tribal Lore 4, Written Old Archaen 5.

Gear
Loose fitting cloak, fetish-mask, coarse linen robes, hide boots, iron knife (D6), ironwood spear (D6), scavenging tools.

2)Customize (+3 points to attribute(s) -1 point to attribute
-1 Cha +1 Dex +2 Per

3) Determine Skill Ratings
Appraise Slaves 6, Appraise Trade Goods 8, Archaen Traps 6, Basic Engineering 6, Escape 4, Knife 10, Primitive Traps 9, Sneak-Thief 6, Spear 3, Spoken Nomad 10, Subterranean Lore 5, Survival (Desertlands) 2, Tribal Lore 3, Written Old Archaen 2.

4) Name Al-Arian

Day 5 - I fancy starting with something simple, so let's go with Urban Faerie.

Name: Boozy

Faerie Type: Ogre

Stats

Muscle: 7
Skill: 1
Wits: 1
Magick: 2
Luck: 2

Good At: Fighting. Good at TV Trivia.

Earning Charms: Get 4 charms whenever he eats a child.

Spending Charms: Take damage to charms before taking it to health levels.

Faction: Seedy

Background:

This is not a game where a nuanced and complex background is necessary. He's a hulking thug who eats children. Although interestingly he is a member of the "Seedy" (the game's equivalent of the Seelie) so at least tries to stick to the rules about stuff like not killing other faeries. I see him as an enforcer for the local Seedy. He also likes watching tv, especially soap operas.

My turn, Swords of the Serpentine:

Kravos Vasilikov – Davosh Mercenary

Proud, Hot-tempered, Affable, Generous

What is best in life? Taking gold for the work of blood and iron; Besting a worthy enemy; Laughing and boasting with my comrades

Defenses
  • Health: Threshold 4, Armour 1 (fragrant hides) Health 10
  • Morale: Threshold 3, Grit 1 (stubborness)
Offense
  • Sway 3
  • Warfare 8; Damage Mod +1 (Spirit-forged Tulwar)
Investigative Abilities: Tactics of Death (2); Spot Frailty (2); Vigilance (1); Know Monstrosities (1); Intimidation (1); Command (1); Ridiculous Luck (2); Wilderness Mastery (1)

Allegiances: Allies – Mercenaries (1); Outlanders (1) Enemies – City Watch (1)

General Skills: Warfare [Cleave] (8); Sway (3); Stealth (5); Preparedness (3); Athletics [Dodge] (8); Bind Wounds (3)

Gear: Valikar -a Tulwar forged by the spirit of my grandfather (+1 dmg), Warm but fragrant Hides and Furs (Armour 1); more daggers than you’d suspect; a full wine skin; an empty purse; a bill for last week’s lodgings; a faintly ridiculous fur and iron cap that has sentimental value; a magnificent moustache; a wealth of unbelievable but mostly true war stories

And another Swords character (I never get tired of this game's char gen)

Tomas Veldecchio – Rat Catcher’s Guild

Laconic, Deceptively quick, Greedy, Professional

What is best in life? Upping the estimate; Something for nothing; The comfort of stone tunnels

Defenses
  • Health: Threshold 3, Armour 1 (Rat-proof Jacket) Health 8
  • Morale: Threshold 4, Grit 1 (stubborness) Morale 10
Offense
  • Sway 5
  • Warfare 5, Damage Mod +1 (Rat Basher)
Investigative Abilities: City Secrets (3); Felonious Intent (2); Laws and Traditions (1); Liar’s Tell (1); Vigilance (1); Skullduggery (3)

Allegiances: Allies – Thieves’ Guild (1); Guild of Architects and Canal Watchers (1) Enemies – City Watch (1)

General Skills: Sway (5); Warfare (5); Burglary [Fast Hands] (8); Stealth (5); Athletics (3); Preparedness (4)

Gear: Guild-issued Rat-proof leather jacket (Armour 1); an oaken cudgel he calls Rat Basher (+1 damage); plans for more than one Mercanti estate’s basement levels; a sardonic quip for every occasion; Official Guild Papers; a jaunty ratskin cap; spectacles he’d rather not be seen using; a dizzying collection of bawdy tattoos (don’t ask him to flex)

WFRP, 2nd edition
(everything except name rolled straight on physical dice, as Sigmar intended. And Sigmar was with us, for the dice were good to this guy. Check out this badass)

Dieter Jundt
Male Human Bounty Hunter
Height: 6'; weight: 155lb; light brown hair; black eyes; nose ring; five siblings; star sign: Dragomas the Drake; 29 years old; born in a fortified town in Wissenland

WS 37, BS 41, S 31, T 34, Ag 33, I 33, WP 36, Fel 37
A 1, W 13, SB 3, TB 3, M 4, Mag 0, IP 0, FP 3

Skills: Follow Trail, Intimidate, Outdoor Survival, Perception, Search, Shadowing, Silent Move

Talents: Marksman, Rover, Specialist Weapon Group (Entangling), Sharpshooter

Trappings: Crossbow with 10 bolts, net, light armor, manacles, 10m of rope, common clothing, dagger, backpack with personal effects, hand weapon (mace), 14gc

Tomorrow I’ll try Zweihänder for comparison.

Last edited:
System: Star Wars 1st Ed. (WEG, 1987)

Template: Retired Imperial Captain

Name: Alont Pick
Height: 5'10
Weight: 195 lb
Sex: m
Physical Description: tall-ish, with a residue of youth's lankiness but beginnings of a paunch; graying dishwater blond regulation haircut; mostly found sloppily lounging or hunched on a bar-stool, but still able to hold himself ramrod-straight; cold, judgemental eyes in an incongruously round face which could put on a scowl that was never mentioned in the coroners' reports of marginal midshipmen

DEXTERITY: 2D+2 [Blaster 3D+2, Dodge 3D+2]
KNOWLEDGE: 3D [Bureaucracy 4D, Cultures 4D, Planetary Systems 4D]
MECHANICAL: 3D+2
PERCEPTION: 3D+1 [Command 5D+1, Gambling 4D+1]
STRENGTH: 2D+1
TECHNICAL: 3D

Force Points: 1

Equipment:
- Imperial Navy Uniform (slightly out of date)
- blaster
- 2000 credits standard

Background: Alont Pick was ever competent, never exceptional. He had to stolidly work his way up the Imperial Navy hierarchy to first officer on a Star Destroyer. A day before the interview — a formality, really — for the next promotion, Alont was detained by the Imperial Security Bureau and grilled for three days, although he couldn't figure out what it was all about. When he was released, the position he had applied for had already been filled, and his old one taken up by his successor. He spent four years being transferred all over the galaxy while every application he put in was denied. Finally, an admiral took pity on him and told him to stop pestering the Navy, because there was an indelible black spot in his file, though he never found out what is was.

Six months later Alont had washed up as head of the security "department" on a corvette that was transporting a group of captured rebels to sector HQ. The rebels were adept at mind games, planting seeds of dissent in their interrogator. And Alont's mind was fertile soil, tilled by months of mulling over his career, trying to find what had gone wrong and tallying up in retrospect all the atrocities he had witnessed. So he decided he couldn't be in he Navy any longer, took the prisoners to a shuttle and defected with them.

Hero Name: Dr. Djinn
Secret Identity: Daris Sami Mousavi
Altered Human-Magic Personal and Universal Spells only
Nature Magic
Middle Eastern (Iran)-American claims to be Persian (True)

F GD 8
A IN 36
S GD 8
E RM 26
R EX 16
I RM 26
P RM 26

Health: 68

Spells:
Apparition (Phasing, Turns to Air)RM (Personal)
Illusions-EX (Universal)
Servant (Dog)
F RM A GD S RM E EX R TY I RM P In-RM rank spell to summon (Personal)
Powers: -Great Shield RM -Growing-RM -Enhanced Senses (Smell)

Nature Control (Air)-RM (Universal)

Talents:
Zoologist of Magic
Medicine (Veterinarian)

Day 6
Mutant Future
Name : Scared Steve
Mutant anthropomorphic Skunk
1d4 claw attack
Stink spray
Str 9
Dex 13
Con 12
Int 9
Will 10
Cha 11

Mutations 1 physical 3 mental

Optic Emissions (bright eyes) 30' range blindness 1d4 rounds -4 attack +4 AC

Phobia - energy weapons -one panic attack and then flee for 1d4 rounds

Killing Sphere 25' radius hp reduced to 1. Save vs Stun failure 1d10 ends unconscious. Mutant can't attack for 2d10 rounds due to exhaustion.

Intellectual Affinity- martial- +4 to hit, +1d6 damage.

Description:
Nothing about Steve stands out. He seems like a nice enough guy if a bit skittish. Not terribly intimidating. Everyone who meets him wonders why he doesn't have more friends. He's outgoing and not overbearing. In fact everywhere he stops he usually makes friends. That is right up until someone shows and energy weapon and he practically kills everyone around him before running off. Steve's got good about picking up and moving on. It's easier than facing up to what he's done

Day 6 - A classic bit of proto OSR with Mazes and Minotaurs (revised). However, I am using the "4d6 drop the lowest" of original rather than "2d6 +6" which strikes me as too high.

Name: Schedius
Class: Priest
Level: 1st
Patron Deity: Hermes

Might: 13 (Mod +1)
Skill: 8 (Mod -1)
Wits: 16 (Mod +2)
Luck: 17 (Mod +3)
Will: 17 (Mod +3)
Grace: 15 (Mod +2)

Combat Mod: +3
Missile Mod: +4
Initiative: 11
Defense Class: 15
Hits Total: 9
Mystic Strength: 18

Athletic Prowess: +3
Danger Evasion: +4
Mystic Fortitude: +8
Physical Vigor: +7
Personal Charisma: +8
Spiritual Aura: +6
Staring Power: 10

Talents: Healer, Orator

Equipment: Caduecus, Dagger, Ceremonial Robes, 130 Silver Pieces

Background: From a very young age Schedius was told he was blessed by the Gods (seriously, look at those stats), so it's perhaps not surprising he became a priest. His carefree nature and natural charm made him an obvious choice for the order of Hermes. If he has a fault, it's laziness. He's so used to things going his own way he quickly becomes disinterested if he finds something difficult.

System: Where No Man Has Gone Before 2.0 (plus Lifepath generator)

Name: John Johnson
Description: pale skin, brown hair, cheerful personality, likes knitting
Ship Position:
Species: Human [Drive (+1 Action Point at session start); Flexibility (1 bonus Talent at level 1)]
Class: Red Shirt (Security)

Level: 1
Armor Class: 13
Hit Points: 22
Experience Points: 0
Action Points: 3

Strength: 16 [+3]
Dexterity: 16 [+3]
Intelligence: 7 [-1]
Charisma: 11 [±0]

Melee Attack Bonus: 4
Ranged Attack Bonus: 4

Talents/Special Abilities:
- Catch Phrase (“Gotta send a maniac!”)
- Red Shirt

Totally optional background: John Johnson was born and raised in the Federation colony on Alpha Eridani II. Since his parents are a freighter pilot and an officer of a local private military contractor, he spent his childhood moving from place to place and made a lot of friends — and abandoned them with the next deployment, something he feels very ashamed about. He joined Starfleet at a younger age than usual. During his first tour of duty he discovered that a strange gaseous creature the Reliant had picked up on an inhospitable planet and which had become something of the ship's mascot, was in fact a spy searching for a way its species could leave their blasted world and conquer the galaxy. In the course of trapping it, John saved his captain's life, something he proudly wears a medal for.

Time for another super day!

Ah, Marvel again. Sighs. Well I set up the rules for how often Marvel/Icons/H&S come up, so I'm facing that conundrum.

Name: Icecutter
Secret ID: Isaah Reed
Mutant

F IN
A RM
S EX
E AM
R IN
I EX
P GD
Health:134

Powers 4
Claws (IN)- Four Super Hardened ice blades form from his knuckles
Ice Generation (RM)
Teleportation (EX)-Leaves misty "cold spot" behind.

Talents 3
Crime
Martial Arts C
Geology

Contacts 0

Since I went with WFRP2 yesterday, I'll be giving Zweihänder a try today.

Reinhardt Aschebach
Race: Human (Blessing: Manifest Destiny)
Profession: Preacher
Dooming: "At times, being found is worse than being lost"
Age: Adult, Distinguishing Mark: Bow-legged walk, Complexion: Light tan, Build: Normal, Height: 5'9", Weight: 175lb, Hair: Medium brown, Eyes: Black
Upbringing: Reverent (favors Willpower)
Social Class: Lowborn (12bp)
Drawback: Debt-Ridden
Alignment: Mystery/Exclusion

Fate Points: 1

Combat 42 (5)
Brawn 51 (5)
Agility 42 (3)
Perception 55 (6)
Inteligence 40 (5)
Willpower 47 (3)
Fellowship 42 (3)

Peril Threshold 6 (12/18/24)

Damage Threshold 5 (11/17/23)

Talents: Silver Tongue, Worldly

Skills: Charm, Education, Folklore, Leadership, Rumor, Scrutinize, Simple Melee

Trappings: Black lotus, bottle of leeches, coin purse, dirk, fine clothing, holy symbol, loose robes, quicksilver, royal water, shoulder bag, smelling salts (3), leather sandals, writing kit, cudgel, prayer book

Reinhardt is a glib, conniving, foolhardy errant preacher who cuts an impressive figure and has an eye for trouble, but far too fond of strong drink, whoring and gambling, as attested by his stint in debtor's prison. Ever looking for a way to fund his indulgences, be it by playing off the faith of good people or something less savory. A reproachable character, no doubt, who's to say the gods don't work in mysterious ways?

The inevitable comparison to WFRP2: the additional gewgaws do help fleshing out a character but there's no need of so many mechanically relevant bits and pieces e.g. randomly rolled racial perks. And the generic trappings for each "archetype" don't feel like a great fit. Still, it was fun.

Day 7
Terran Trade Authority
1) Pick Race
Human
1.8m, 55kgs
Int +2
Wil 0
Str -2
Con -1
Per +2
Cha +2
Dex +1
Spd +1

HP 20
Computers(personal) +1
Lore (sol System) +4
Lore (Mars) +6
Etiquette(Terran) +6
Speak Terran(native)
Speak Language(Alphan ) Basic
Navigate +3
Lore (Law) +3

Quirk
Benafactor
Xeno-Tolerant
Redline

Gear:
Garments(casual), Shoes, 500Cr
Databuddy, Run down SCF Freighter, 10kCr Trade Goods, 1000cr
Garment(coveralls) Boots(work) Engineering toolkit, Flash Seal x10 1000cr

2) Adjust stats+/-2
+1 int,Per -1 con,str

3)Pick Paths
#1 Urban
Per +1
Navigate +3
Lore (Law) +3

#2 Free Trader
Cha +1
Diplomacy +3
Administration +2
Lore (streetwise)+2
Deduce Motive +3
Deception +2

#3 Spacecraft Engineer
Int +1
Computers (Ships Systems)+4
Engineering(pick)+3
Disable Mechanism +3
Science (Physics) +2

I'm going to give this a go, but have to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back