CRUSADERS: VILLAINS UNBOUND Project

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

olivier legrand

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hello everyone

In a few months, CRUSADERS will enter its second year of existence and I'd like to celebrate the event with a big supplement (well, bigger than our usual SHOWCASES) - a book of VILLAINS! The idea would be to have one-page writeups of, say, 20 to 30 villains...

I'd be really delighted to have some help on this project - not only to "share the workload" but also (more importantly) to have different perspectives, inspirations etc. reflecting the inventiveness and diversity of classic superheroic universes.

If you are interested and pretty sure you can deliver some written material within a reasonable time-frame (even if it is a single character!), please contact me on this group - either on this thread or by PM.

Here are a few guidelines / basic preliminary stuff:

- I'll act as final editor of this project so I may reject submissions that seem inappropriate or ask for some rewrites, etc.

- Writeups should use the standard format used in the various CRUSADERS INTERNATIONAL PDFs or the "villain of the month" in the SHOWCASES.

- Of course, they should also be 100% consistent with the CRUSADERS rules. I'd prefer to avoid having to design whole new powers for a single character - but I'll be 100% available for technical discussions, if needed. Remember that most SHOWCASE issues contain additional powers.

- Characters should be consistent with the overall "Super 80s" feel and spirit of the game. Also try to avoid using names which are already trademarked by Marvel, DC, etc. (and yes, this can make things difficult - but then again, we'll check this when we get there).

- When designing NPCs for CRUSADERS, I tend to work from existing illustrations (stockart that I've already bought) rather than start from scratch and then try to find a suitable illustration - but not everyone is comfortable with this method, so do as you like! If you'd prefer to do it my way (work from an existing illo), we'll work things out together.

- This would be an entirely pro-bono labor of love (alas, I cannot pay you anything; Legrand Games Studio is not a real publishing company and functions with an effective budget of 0; most of my products are either free or PWYW and money gained on DrivethruRPG is mainly used to buy more stockart for forthcoming stuff).

So, if you're interested and committed, feel free to reply on this thread or contact me by PM. Excelsior!

Not volunteering, sorry, but I offer a couple of suggestions, make what you will of them.

What I think a GM needs most are the rank and file, hired muscle sort of villains. For every Kingpin or Dr Doom, you need a dozen Blizzards, Electros, Trapsters, Eels and Porcupines. These are the guys you can fit into any adventure and which you don't worry too much if they get one-shotted in the very first scene they appear, never to be seen again. GMs using your system are probably happy enough to create their own major villains, it's the creating all the minor villains that is time consuming.

And while I am generally not fussy about layout, when it comes to villian and critter books, it is so much nicer if all the details for each entry is all contained on the same page, especially if there is an illustration to go with it.

The idea is to have all sorts of villains, from hired super-muscle to masterminds - with the 'low-level' villains being obviously more numerous than the arch-villains.

And you may have noticed that, in all CRUSADERS material published so far, every villain or hero we presented was described on a single page.

Great minds think alike and all that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back