Cyberpunk 2077

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

CT_Phipps

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score

Cyberpunk 2077 is a game that has been hotly anticipated for the better part of nine years. Delayed by both the mammoth juggernaut that was The Witcher 3 and its DLC plus the inability to get it to work on current generation consoles, it was finally released in the tail end of 2020. The people here at Grimdark Magazine were hotly anticipating this game and I had to fistfight the others to see who would get to review it (I’m still looking for my teeth – Ed.).

“Capitalism, capitalism never changes.”

Cyberpunk is the purest expression of the grimdark science fiction series. It combines noir, moral ambiguity, a nihilistic worldview, and genre tropes to create a world where doing good is possible but only on the individual level. Most of its antiheroes don’t even bother with that, only caring about their next paycheck and their partners (if even that). On the Keanu Reeves scale, they tend to be Johnny Mnemonic and John Wick over Neo. Which is good because this game stars Keanu Reeves as your inner Tyler Durden.

I’m familiar with the world of Cyberpunk 2077 from my experience with Mike Pondsmith’s Cyberpunk 2020. Crafted in the Eighties, it was never the biggest seller among tabletop roleplaying games but it managed to combine Mad Max, Akira, Blade Runner, Max Headroom: The Series, and a half-dozen other sources to create a fully realized dystopian world that went on to inspire dozens of other settings. If you think about a generic cyberpunk world, as if such a thing could be, you’re probably actually thinking about Mike’s vision as it could do anything from the movies you loved.

A brief rundown for laymen is that the United States has broken up into several new countries due to the collapse of the economy due to a combination of corporate malfeasance as well as depleted resources. Environmental devastation means that much of the Midwest is now ruined wasteland with feuding nomadic clans, cities have become overcrowded urban hellscapes, and corporations now wield the power of nations. Technology has flourished, though, with cybernetics becoming ubiquitous even for healthy able-bodied people and space travel is commercialized.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a future extrapolated from Mike Pondsmith’s future of 2020, not our time so some people may be confused by this. Either way, it is a world that is still relevant due to the fact our 2020 is pretty much a hyper-consequence of the policies enacted in the 1980s. Many of the same greedy materialist corporate executives who rose to power then are still in power today, looting the economy and feeding the masses a steady diet of propaganda.

Cyberpunk is inherently political and this game manages the careful balance of making its points clear while not feeling the need to lecture on what is self-obvious. When you ask whether the marketplace shrimp is fresh and the vendor says, “Absolutely. It’s all raised in the aquarium downtown. None of that toxic crap from the bay.” You know what it’s saying without sounding unnatural. The game touches on everything from for-profit health care, police brutality, corporate malfeasance, rising poverty, defunded social services, and the treatment of sex workers. All within the first few hours and it uses these to tell interesting stories.

The plot of Cyberpunk 2077 is an interwoven set of crime-based stories around a central narrative that is about a miraculous peace of technology gone horribly wrong. I’d call it, “Ghost in the Shell meets Fight Club.

The stakes are very low in Cyberpunk 2077, at least compared to most Triple A games with it being more science fiction Dragon Age II than Dragon Age: Origins or Inquisition. This is about personal stakes and protecting your small corner of Night City rather than anything world-changing.

Gameplay-wise the game ranges from being excellent to a mess. It basically plays like Skyrim with guns, cyberware substituting for magic. There’s also elements of Deus Ex and Watch Dogs with the ability to sneak up on enemies to auto-kill them or hacking security cameras. Honestly, it doesn’t exactly mold all of these divergent gameplay styles together perfectly but feels more like a Frankenstein’s Monster combination of whatever they thought was cool. There’s just too much going on with looting and shooting, gathering armor types, cybernetics, and hundreds of perks. Gameplay would strongly benefit from being much simpler and closer to Deus Ex or even just the tabletop game.

The character creation engine is pretty robust with the option of making characters ranging from the absolutely gorgeous to the supremely ugly. Much has been made of the power to make characters of trans identity but this hasn’t been anything new since Saints Row 2. Your pronouns are also tied to your voice, which is a cheap fix that kind of undermines the benefit. Still, I had a lot of fun making Agent G from my cyberpunk novels and playing him. You get to choose an origin for your character but these scenes take about ten minutes to resolve and aren’t really that interesting.

Generally, the game consists of you traveling around Night City and shooting up the place at various gang bases while also performing various investigations on behalf of clients. V is a mercenary and criminal for hire so they don’t need to justify why they’re doing 90% of the missions they do. The writing is top-notch with virtually every type of corruption available. Sadly, their character is a bit preset with often very little variation on their responses. V is a likable character but, unfortunately, the straight man to a lot of the more eccentric character’s reactions.

The game runs pretty smoothly on Playstation 5 and the newest Xbox iteration but is a pretty buggy mess at launch for Playstation 4 and Xbox One S. It was actually hard to see in places due to the lighting too with it moving from atmospheric to, “how the hell do I get out of this room?” Patches have already improved a lot of the most glaring flaws but long loading times, clipping, and the occasional floating head. Still, I had a lot of fun just shooting up Night City’s gangs and breaking necks like a cybernetic Punisher or Solid Snake and that worked just fine.

In conclusion, this is a solid and entertaining game but people should adjust their expectations. The amount of bugs and somewhat confusing overcomplicated gameplay hurts the overall experience. If you’re using a last generation console, you’re probably best to either wait a month or two for patches but current gen should definitely buy this right away. It is a fantastic setting, characters, and full of amazingly written stories. I also feel it is a game with many strong opinions that are presented with a world that makes them fun to hear.

Plus Keanu Reeves is awesome here, proving himself the undisputed god of non-literary cyberpunk. Maybe co-god with William Gibson of the entire genre.

If you’re using a last generation console, you’re probably best to either wait a month or two for patches
I disagree. The game is shitshow on older-generation consoles. No amount of patches will improve the quality. Older-generation console owners who bought the game should take CDPR's advice and get a refund. If that's not possible, and you're hell-bent on playing this game, then consider buying a current-generation console.

CDPR made a mistake stretching this game across multiple platforms.

I disagree. The game is shitshow on older-generation consoles. No amount of patches will improve the quality. Older-generation console owners who bought the game should take CDPR's advice and get a refund. If that's not possible, and you're hell-bent on playing this game, then consider buying a current-generation console.

CDPR made a mistake stretching this game across multiple platforms.

The game was built for PS4, not PS5.

I disagree because it's already markedly improved after the first patch. I believe the resolution and graphic quality will suffer but am still powering through after 50 hours.

The game was built for PS4, not PS5.

What? You must be confused because why would CDPR build a game for PS4, but not for PS5? The latter has superior hardware to run the game.

The company likely pressured the developers to make the game work on PS4, regardless of performance, so that market can get a copy before the holidays.

And look what happened: The PS4 version came out, and it's dogshit. Recently, Sony announced it would pull the game from its store.

What? You must be confused because why would CDPR build a game for PS4, but not for PS5? The latter has superior hardware to run the game.

The company likely pressured the developers to make the game work on PS4, regardless of performance, so that market can get a copy before the holidays.

And look what happened: The PS4 version came out, and it's dogshit. Recently, Sony announced it would pull the game from its store.

Allow me to magically put it into context. The game's original release was slated for April, seven months before the release of the next generation consoles.

The game was meant to play on the PS4 and Xbox One.

The game doesn't play well on it because it was poorly optimized and focused on the PC as well as next generation versions of the game. It was not designed as a next generation title from the beginning and those who claim so are wrong.

I've been playing it on a Xbox One with no issues. I think I have 11 hours logged in so far, the first big patch was yesterday and I didn't notice a difference.

Well for a start, the PS5 didn't even exist for most of development.

If they wanted to move it to the next-gen systems, okay, cool. But if they're selling it on the PS4/XBone, it's not unreasonable for players on those systems to expect a fully functional game, even if it's not as pretty as the others.

Well for a start, the PS5 didn't even exist for most of development.

If they wanted to move it to the next-gen systems, okay, cool. But if they're selling it on the PS4/XBone, it's not unreasonable for players on those systems to expect a fully functional game, even if it's not as pretty as the others.
And that's the nub of it. It's possible devs got yanked off to the ps5 version half way through development and effectively abandoned the console version to its fate. But there is no ps5 version. Just a ps5 if you have one.

I would also counsel getting a refund, personally. It's perfectly fine to enjoy the game in spite of its many problems, but it's naive, IMO, to think they will be fixed and if you miss this window of retail opportunity then you're likely going to be stuck with it

The game was meant to play on the PS4 and Xbox One.

Plays fine on my Xbox One X, and on a friend's PS4 Pro. It seems to be designed for the half generation point, rather than last gen or next gen. There are still noticeable bugs, but along the lines of most Bethesda titles. So I'm used to that.

Does anyone know what Cyberpunk 2077 is like on a PC?

I do have a PS$ and an X-Box One, but I mainly just let my adolescent sons play with those, as I've always been more comfortable as a PC gamer.
I am considering downloading it from Steam, but haven't pulled the trigger - yet :thumbsup:

I do have a PS$ and an X-Box One, but I mainly just let my adolescent sons play with those, as I've always been more comfortable as a PC gamer.
I am considering downloading it from Steam, but haven't pulled the trigger - yet :thumbsup:
My PC gaming friends have said they're having a good time, it's just buggy in places; the biggest things they've complained about are scripts and NPC's not loading so you need to reload your save, police spawning being broken, the physics generally being dumb, and it being a bit crashy.

Me, I'm sticking to the classics.
1608462285402.png

Much has been made of the power to make characters of trans identity but this hasn’t been anything new since Saints Row 2. Your pronouns are also tied to your voice, which is a cheap fix that kind of undermines the benefit.
They've modelled the trans experience so well that the game even features gender dysphoria...
1608462578224.png

There are plenty of issues, you've just luckily not encountered them. Maybe you won't. THat's the nature of all this.
Last night I received two phone calls at the same time and they merged together so it was incoherent, and later the whole thing crashed so maybe I am catching up.

Last night I received two phone calls at the same time and they merged together so it was incoherent, and later the whole thing crashed so maybe I am catching up.
I had a cyberpsycho who sunk into the pavement allowing me to headshot her repeatedly. She was an ex cop and I'm not sure I was meant to kill her. I had no choice, these are difficult times. Night City is unforgiving...unlike the cement

And that's the nub of it. It's possible devs got yanked off to the ps5 version half way through development and effectively abandoned the console version to its fate. But there is no ps5 version. Just a ps5 if you have one.

I would also counsel getting a refund, personally. It's perfectly fine to enjoy the game in spite of its many problems, but it's naive, IMO, to think they will be fixed and if you miss this window of retail opportunity then you're likely going to be stuck with it

Not naive considering CDPR's track record. They have stuck with their prior games even through having to patch them again and again, and have improved beyond even the baseline. It's a personal choice that one has to make considering track record, and how large they are now and beholden to stock markets.

So glad I get this kind of thing on PC, though...

UM26YruU.png

I have it on PC, and it plays decently on a GTX 1070 card and AMD 3700x CPU.

I'm not sure if I'm getting for 60fps, as I've not been able to get FRAPS working properly.

I played about eight hours but put the game down not just because of the bugs, but the gameplay is shallow and not fun.

on the Radeon side, I just picked up an XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS and without overclocking, it's playing it with no problems, getting 31fps which works for me. My friends and I are playing the crap out of this game. Maybe because we didn't go into it with any expectations but to be a good game, and it's delivering on that.

About seven hours in, playing on the Xbox One X. Encountered a few bugs. I've been enjoying using my katana or baseball bat more than the gunplay. Cruising Night City with some soulful sax on the radio.

About seven hours in, playing on the Xbox One X. Encountered a few bugs. I've been enjoying using my katana or baseball bat more than the gunplay. Cruising Night City with some soulful sax on the radio.

Same here. I use guns when I have to, but I'm mostly stealth... using qhacks to blow people's heads up, then sneaking into the confusion wacking them down when I have to fight.

Not naive considering CDPR's track record. They have stuck with their prior games even through having to patch them again and again, and have improved beyond even the baseline. It's a personal choice that one has to make considering track record, and how large they are now and beholden to stock markets.

UM26YruU.png
There's no excuse for Gordon Ramsay.

Actually, when they allegedly started to make the game (which they lied about, according to their own 'secret message' statement) in 2012, there was no PS5 and XBox Series X hardware to work on.

Not even in 2016 (When their secret message claimed they started to working on it), actually. So, no. It was ALWAYS meant to be on PS4 and Xbox One.

I am playing it on PC and it runs fine. About as glitchy as say, Fallout 4 on release and maybe less. I have been doing marathon sessions and have logged over 80 hours at this point. Something weird happens maybe every other session and then I reload to fix. Thankfully I have encountered no glitches that cost me a lot of time (that's how I measure the severity of glitches, in time lost).

Hmmm I can see my spending some money on Steam for this in the near future :thumbsup:

I've heard it depends. Even on some high end machines the physics engine is wonky, the fact that the AI has some severe issues, like how the Police teleport in from out of nowhere.

HOWEVER, there are almost as many claims that lower end machines are doing just fine.

So, basically, it's all over the map on PC. PERSONALLY, given my experience with CDPR, wait a year, they'll have everything ironed out by then.

UM26YruU.png
Well, the main reason Bethesda got away with it until Fallout 76 was because of the 'good will' they had towards modding their game. They didn't seem to care if you mangled it anyway you wanted, in fact they seemed to promote it.

And why wouldn't they? They knew that they had a pool of people who would fix their games for FREE! They had several times before! Unofficial patches, combat modifications, graphical upgrades and all sorts of goodies they could let OTHER people make FOR THEM. All they had to do was release the base game, and then... Step back.

Bethesda is a bunch of spin doctors who can barely handle coding their own games, without the help of a much more talented group of fans, who heap praise on Bethesda for letting them fix the broken messes Bethesda releases.

I'm assuming it was corporate tequila. Gran Corporación Destilería, "Building a Better Tequila. . .Today." :hehe:

I'm probably saying something obvious here but for anybody else who has played the game a good bit, do you think the vast majority of reviews are based on like the first five hours or so?

I just noticed that many points from later in the game (bad and good) are never brought up and V's character, as well as others, is described based on how he/she initially seems at the start.

I'm probably saying something obvious here but for anybody else who has played the game a good bit, do you think the vast majority of reviews are based on like the first five hours or so?

I just noticed that many points from later in the game (bad and good) are never brought up and V's character, as well as others, is described based on how he/she initially seems at the start.
Most game reviewers have strict content embargoes in place. Publishers withold early copies if the embargoes aren't agreed to. Usually it's to protect late game spoilers.

Yeah I was getting that impression too. The game doesn't really start IMHO until Act 1 is completed and depending on how one plays, that could be hours (I did a full clear of Watson for example). Many impressions seem to be made after dicking around in Act 1 for a couple hours.

V's Initial personality seems largely based on the lifepath. One develops V's character through actions over the course of the game and the game gives you many opportunities to do that after Act 1. My V is the classic bad boy with the heart of gold

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back