D&D 5e derivative games

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Gabriel

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Maybe this has already been done, but I thought it might be nice to have a topic with all the 5e derirved games. I understand there are quite a few, but as I was not keeping track of things at all during the ascendancy of 5e, my knowledge is spotty. Here's the ones I know of:

Amazing Adventures 5e. Troll Lord Games. This is an adaptation/redo of their previously released SIEGE Engine Amazing Adventures pulp RPG.

Stargate SG-1. Wyvern Games. Adaptation of the Stargate SG-1 TV show to a new RPG with a 5e compatible ruleset.

Victoriana. Cubicle 7. Newest upcoming edition of this long running game (previously Fuzion and then a house system). Now a 5e type of system.

Esper Genesis. Alligator Alley Entertainment. 5e SciFi roleplaying. Basically Mass Effect in tabletop form?

Ultramodern (5). Deus Ex Machina. 5e rules for modern roleplaying.

Anime 5e. Dyskami Games. Basically BESM d20, but for 5e instead. Or, if you prefer, BESM 4e adapted to D&D 5e mechanics.

The Spy Game. Modiphius. Mission Impossible style spies on 5e rules.

Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony RPGs. Hasbro? What, no Jem and the Holograms? I'm offended. All announced but no further information available that I know of.

Then there are grey areas like Adventures in Middle Earth, which was effectively a campaign setting for 5e D&D, but had such expansive support while it was active that it seems odd not to call it a near standalone.

---

I have Anime 5e, Stargate SG-1, and The Spy Game on order. I really liked BESMd20 and BESM in general, so I was on board for a 5e version. I've always wanted a playable Stargate SG-1 based game. And I was simply curious about The Spy Game.

I own Amazing Adventures 5e. I had liked the previous version even though it never hit the table. I haven't had it long and haven't been able to skim it much. It does seem like it has a bit more out of the box support for something other than 30s style pulp. The 5e version seems to have absorbed some of the material from the SIEGE engine supplements. The 5e version of the game very much strikes me as the same general vein as the old Palladium Books Beyond the Supernatural 1e.

Beowulf by Handiwork Games adapts 5e to dark age, low magic fantasy. It also focuses on play with a single player and makes followers an essential part of the game.

Brancalonia by Acheron games is a spaghetti fantasy version of 5e that feels like a renaissance Italian satire. It's also an E6 version of 5e.

I know there are a few SF games but I'm blanking.

Last edited:
S5E - superheroic roleplaying for 5e

Lost Lights - a pretty standard fantasy setting complete with a floating magical city over a continent where low-level magic is common, a mostly-anti-magic religious hegemony in charge of a slightly more technological continent, a common ancestry for the various species(ie Earthdawn).

That's all I've caught wind of lately.

If you are looking at settings, then:

Sandy Peterson’s Cthulhu Mythos
Arkadia (Ancient Greek inspired) - actually there are several of these.
Primeval Thule - Conan-ish Swords and Sorcery
Journey to Ragnarok - Norse Mythology
Pugmire and Monarchies of Mau - anthropomorphic dogs and cats....and mice to come.
Scarred Lands - Onyx Path’s vaguely Greek-is inspired setting.

Transformers, GI Joe, My Little Pony RPGs. Hasbro? What, no Jem and the Holograms? I'm offended. All announced but no further information available that I know of.
I've said it before but, unless the next iteration is vastly different, Ponies is not a setting that needs what 5e provides, which is mostly a combat system and hooks into it. Fights in the source material are more challenges than interesting battles, and much of the entire concept revolves around non-violent problem solving. If there was going to be a serious re-implementation and expansion of the skills system, this would be the place for it, but I doubt they'd go into anything that deep.

Also, there's already a perfectly good Ponies RPG which does this stuff really well (Has too much of a combat system, but eh, the designer's a wargames guy so I'll cut him some slack).

Brancalonia by Acheron games is a spaghetti fantasy version of 5e that feels like a renaissance Italian satire. It's also an E6 version of 5e.
I was excited, for a moment, when I first heard about Brancalonia... not being a 5e fan but hoping to steal its hubcaps. But from what I saw its authors felt the need maintain all the D&Disms with it... rather than weeding out races/classes/etc. that didn't fit...
I might be wrong, but a quick perusal wilted my enthusiasm.
(yes, I'm complaining about the thing being the thing it intended to be, rather than the thing I'd hoped it would be).

I was excited, for a moment, when I first heard about Brancalonia... not being a 5e fan but hoping to steal its hubcaps. But from what I saw its authors felt the need maintain all the D&Disms with it... rather than weeding out races/classes/etc. that didn't fit...
(yes, I'm complaining about the thing being the thing it intended to be, rather than the thing I'd hoped it would be).
You can bring in as much 5e as you want. With the Brancalonia books you can use all Brancalonia specific classes, subclasses (2 for each class) and races, which changes the mood significantly. Added to the level cap at 6 and the additional rules around brawling, equipment etc and it feels like a significant departure from its 5e base (if you so choose it to be).

In that sense, its not much different from Adventures in Middle Earth. Technically you can throw D&D 5e classes and races in and they all work together fine. However, the expectation is that you replace all races and classes with those in AiME to create a more Tolkien experience.

That's only partially true. The races in the core book are human, gifted (human with a tiny bit of magic), Morgant (half giant), sylvan (kinda hairy half elves), marionettes, and malebranche (reformed devils). It retains all the classes but strongly suggests using the included subclasses. For instance, the only monk is a strength based version of a European monk. Since it goes to only 6th level and uses gritty rests, magic is really toned down.

That's only partially true. The races in the core book are human, gifted (human with a tiny bit of magic), Morgant (half giant), sylvan (kinda hairy half elves), marionettes, and malebranche (reformed devils). It retains all the classes but strongly suggests using the included subclasses. For instance, the only monk is a strength based version of a European monk. Since it goes to only 6th level and uses gritty rests, magic is really toned down.
There is the Svanzic Guard subclass for the Monk in the Macaronicon too. Essentially, the corebook has a complete set of subclasses for each class. The Macaronicon has a second set of subclasses for each class and a new class. Together they provide almost as many options as the in the PHB for a standard D&D5e game and allow for the D&D options to be completely ignored.

Last edited:
There is the Svanzic Guard subclass for the Monk in the Macaronicon too. Essentially, the corebook has a complete set of subclasses for each class. The Macaronicon has a second set of subclasses for each class and a new class. Together they provide almost as many options as the in the PHB for a standard D&D5e game and allow for the D&D options to be completely ignored.
That's all true. I was covering just the core for simplicity and wanted to make it clear that no shaolin monks were running around, at least not by default.

That's only partially true. The races in the core book are human, gifted (human with a tiny bit of magic), Morgant (half giant), sylvan (kinda hairy half elves), marionettes, and malebranche (reformed devils).
I do not own the book, so I didn't give it anything like a close read... but what I was really getting at is that it didn't seem like much use at all to someone who did not want to use the setting for playing 5e. The setting and flavor looked to be mostly expressed through rules.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back