D&D Adventure System Games

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
Who has them? Who loves em? What have you done with them?

I enjoy them for some solo RPG like adventuring. I have all but the latest Mad Mage one. If anyone here has it please let me know what you think of it.

I like the system, but it is a pain to collect as we found each one to be slightly better than the last yet also repetitive, such that buying more had diminishing returns.

In the end, we settled on just Temple of Elemental Evil as providing the broadest D&D experience with the added bonus of outdoor and campaign play.

I have the Castle Ravenloft one. I think I've played it about 3 times, although none recently. We had fun with it. One of the sessions was a pretty quick TPK, but we made more progress in the other two sessions.

I like the system, but it is a pain to collect as we found each one to be slightly better than the last yet also repetitive, such that buying more had diminishing returns.

That's been my finding as well. We played them a few times but I've stopped buying them as they are a bit pricey to play only 2-3 times.

But then, I've mostly stopped getting large games - cost too much for the play value and many of them have long setup times.

I would definitely own one. Its just a question as to which one you want most.

Castle Ravenloft is good for Ravenloft fans but is mechanically one of the weakest versions of the game.

Legend of Drizzt is likewise good for Drizzt fans, but I heard it is too easy mechanically. Plus Drizzt can also be a turn off for some players.

Wrath of Ashardalon is solid but dull.

Temple of Elemental Evil is the one I went with as it is an iconic D&D experience, attached to one of my favourite modules, and added campaign play, traps, and outdoor adventuring. The monsters are a little dull with the four types of cultists, but I quite liked the humanocentric vibe.

Dungeon of the Mad Mage and Tomb of Annihiliation both have mechanical improvements and provide a more gonzo D&D experience if that's of appeal.

I have Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt, and Elemental Evil. Elemental Evil has yet to be played (even though I've had it for years now).

I second the idea that they improve in small increments. Ashardalon is ever so slightly better than Ravenloft. Drizzt is ever so slightly better than Ashardalon. But they're all the exact same sort of experience.

I picked up Temple because it added something more resembling true campaign play and advancement. I expected big changes. Yet, the rumblings online make it seem like yet another incremental enhancement.

They're fun to play, but not great. They're easy to set up, but not quite as easy as they should be for what they deliver. They don't hit my tabletop too often because of those factors.

Being an obsessive compulsive completist, I've wanted to pick up Mad Mage and Tomb, but I never get around to it.

Being an obsessive compulsive completist, I've wanted to pick up Mad Mage and Tomb, but I never get around to it.

For games like this, in my like but not love category, I figure at some point I'll see them at half price books, goodwill, a yardsale or an online clearance. If it's not for a few years, I still have 50 other games.

I have Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt, and Elemental Evil. Elemental Evil has yet to be played (even though I've had it for years now).

I second the idea that they improve in small increments. Ashardalon is ever so slightly better than Ravenloft. Drizzt is ever so slightly better than Ashardalon. But they're all the exact same sort of experience.

I picked up Temple because it added something more resembling true campaign play and advancement. I expected big changes. Yet, the rumblings online make it seem like yet another incremental enhancement.

They're fun to play, but not great. They're easy to set up, but not quite as easy as they should be for what they deliver. They don't hit my tabletop too often because of those factors.

I have all but mad mage. They scratch my light solo dungeon crawler itch better than Zombicide Black Plague or Massive Darkness due to faster setup time and lower complexity.

Who has them? Who loves em? What have you done with them?

I enjoy them for some solo RPG like adventuring. I have all but the latest Mad Mage one. If anyone here has it please let me know what you think of it.

I bought them originally for poaching minis for other games...but found I really enjoyed the games myself. I own the first four (Ravenloft, Ashardalon, Drizzt and Temple of Elemental Evil).

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back