Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
WotC is doing a big survey on D&D.

Interesting to see what they ask about. It asks a lot of questions about what edition you started on, how you were introduced to D&D, what edition you've played recently, how often you play and of course how many of the 5e books you've bought and how much you've spent on D&D products in the last year.

They're also asking a lot about whether you use minis, boardgames, what motivates you to play, etc.

Here are Mike Mearls comments from Twitter.

I recently picked up Lords of Waterdeep and the Xanathar book, plus all the third party OSR material means I spent a fair amount recently.

One thing the survey suggests is that they're thinking of doing a Basic set for gifting. I think that is a great idea, I'd consider picking that up for some of my nephews and nieces.

A basic set is a good idea. I filled out the survey but my tastes are so out of line with the D&D audience now and days that I'm not even interested in the outcome of the survey.

It's rather amusing that they ask your favorite classes and races before asking if you've, y'know, ever actually played the game. :hmmm:
Remember that D&D is a brand now; it’s quite possible to be a D&D fan without playing D&D itself, through the board games, the books, the computer games, the web serials, other D&Dlike systems like Roadhunter, etc.

What an exhaustingly long survey, especially considering that a good percentage of statements don't really allow me to actually convey my feelings on the matter in a clear way. "Being able to do whatever I want in the context of the game." Does that mean in the context of my characters ability, or does it mean that I don't want my choices limited by the mechanical construct of the rules? My answer is very different depending on what is meant.

There have been at least three nearly identical questions so far about being the leader of the group and telling everyone else what to do. I am not sure what is going on there. A lot of these questions seem to be rewordings of the same statements, which makes the length of the thing even more irritating.

I hope they have controlled for the fact that this survey is tediously long, and a lot of people will probably navigate away part way through.

Took the survey, noticed they don't really have a specific section for listing other RPGs. Odd, you'd think they'd want to know that, given that they asked about board games and such.

Took the survey, noticed they don't really have a specific section for listing other RPGs. Odd, you'd think they'd want to know that, given that they asked about board games and such.

There was a point towards the end of the survey where it asked you to list what other games you played, and I threw in 3 nonWOTC RPGs

There was a point towards the end of the survey where it asked you to list what other games you played, and I threw in 3 nonWOTC RPGs
Ha ha, so did I. I listed Traveller ('77 edition), Flashing Blades (1984), and James Bond 007 ('83). Obviously I'm their target audience. :tongue:

Edit: Does Wizard on the Coast even publish any other RPGs?

...a good percentage of statements don't really allow me to actually convey my feelings on the matter in a clear way. "Being able to do whatever I want in the context of the game." Does that mean in the context of my characters ability, or does it mean that I don't want my choices limited by the mechanical construct of the rules? My answer is very different depending on what is meant.
Don't worry. As with political polls, they deliberately leave the questions open to interpretation so as to make the answers mean whatever the pollster or the party paying the pollster wants them to mean. Amazingly the results usually support their preconceived positions and opinions.

I did something similar, but the way that free-choice question was positioned after a bunch of boardgames made me feel they were indifferent to the distinction.

The multiple ways of asking similar questions is probably very intentional, to get a more accurate answer out of people. Also, if you haven't already filled it out, don't forget to represent for the Pub :smile:

D&D Survey said:
Being able to play one specific archetype I enjoy (e.g., a lone-wolf Ninja character).
Paladin, and talking to ALL OF THE THINGS. Because if I can't talk to the monsters, why am I not just playing Doom?

I will get mine tossed out as well. Somehow, Tekumel probably wasn't what they were looking for.:cry:
I put SLA Industries. I hope Wizards remember that one...

This is a really badly designed survey. The number of questions where they've got their thumb pushed down on the scale is appalling. And then there are the questions which are repeated over and over again. Are they hoping I'm going to change my answer if they ask me enough times?

Also: Apparently sessions can last 2-3 hours and 4-6 hours. But definitely not 3-4 hours. If you reach 180 minutes, WotC cops show up and you're not allowed to stop playing until you've played at least 240 minutes.

I'm guessing they just had some random employee design it rather than hiring someone actually skilled at running surveys.

The questions that are repeated with slightly different emphasis are the ones they are most interested in. A lot are structured around how much you buy and what you buy and your role in your group. Also a few about promoting the game yourself and structured play support.

The questions that are repeated with slightly different emphasis are the ones they are most interested in. A lot are structured around how much you buy and what you buy and your role in your group. Also a few about promoting the game yourself and structured play support.
If I didn't know better I'd think they were in it for the money.

I really have a hard time doing these because I wonder if they really end up looking at them.

As someone that plays but doesn't own or run 5E, I explained that I buy games as much for the ideas that I can take from them than for mechanics, and 5E seemed to be entirely revisiting properties that had been done already. I'm not ruling out ever buying 5E, but I just haven't seen anything for it that excites me enough to invest in it.

Until then, I am sticking with B/X, which has cool stuff like the Hill Cantons and Dolmenwood settings, and zines like Black Pudding.

Also, I screen clipping from PDFs extensively in prepping my sessions. If I can't get PDFs legitimately, it's a big mark against it.

I really have a hard time doing these because I wonder if they really end up looking at them.
While they may not look at each individual survey, if they're pushing this out, they're clearly interested in something. This looks like a very carefully-designed push.

How is Lords of Waterdeep?

Awesome. I got addicted to the digital version but now I can play with my wife and friends. It is a worker placement game so you’ve got to dig that style of play but if you do it is a lot of fun.

I haven’t looked at the survey but is the first question “would you like a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons?” If it’s not, it should be.

After filling that survey out, I realize I'm not their target demographic . . . I mean, I've always sort of suspected that was the case for the past fifteen years or so, but this really hammered it home.

No worries, I told them what I think and why I don't want to buy their stuff, but I doubt it will matter to them.

I haven’t looked at the survey but is the first question “would you like a new edition of Dungeons & Dragons?” If it’s not, it should be.

I honestly didn’t get the feeling the survey had anything to do with plans for a new edition.

It seemed more geared to figuring out what kind of peripherals (gift sets, special editions, minis, landscapes, dice, tshirts, etc) the fanbase was interested in buying.

I did it yesterday. I'm pretty good at confusing algorithms so it was fun. Lots of stuff that was not important to me like merchandise and making game related artwork as well as the aforementioned taking charge of the group or making decisions to surprise the group. I got to name drop Pokémon a few times and was surprised when the TCG was on a list of other games played.

Ha ha, so did I. I listed Traveller ('77 edition), Flashing Blades (1984), and James Bond 007 ('83). Obviously I'm their target audience. :tongue:

Edit: Does Wizard on the Coast even publish any other RPGs?
I am sure they are really going to love hearing "Call of Cthulhu 6th ed., Basic Roleplaying based home brew and Traveller" as the three choices as well.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back