Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Far be it from me to dispute the importance of Feats to Fighters, but Paladins, Barbarians, Rangers, and even some Clerics all stand to benefit from some of these Feats as well.

And if you’re into tanking, and pick up, say, both the Protection Fighting Style and the Sentinel Feat, you have at least two tanky options competing for your reaction
Which brings us back to the need to efficiently manage you characters action economy during both initial creation and advancement. Not that you implied differently of course. I tend to avoid spending advancement resources on things that complete for action use if I can help it.

It's somewhat weird when you realise that your feats are competing with subclass resources, even with feats that look like they should work with the subclass - a lot of the design doesn't necessarily assume you're using feats.

On one hand, I believe this might be Feats working as intended; supplement character concepts across classes, rather than impose a “feat tax” on a given class for ideal performance. See also: the Mobile Feat — not much novelty for Monks there but pretty good for certain Rogue, Ranger and possibly even other classes (DEX-based Vengeance Paladin, anyone?)

Which brings us back to the need to efficiently manage you characters action economy during both initial creation and advancement. Not that you implied differently of course. I tend to avoid spending advancement resources on things that complete for action use if I can help it.

And yet, on the other hand, while both Protection and Sentinel compete for the reaction slot, they bring different things to the table — one forces the attacker to switch targets, the other grants a counterattack (IIRC, been a while) — and I believe there can be room for a choice here, for a PC who has both.

Is this additional option worth the feat? Probably not, from a meta POV. But if you want to be the ultimate defender, the none-shall-pass ironclad dreadnought — a character concept I admit I am shamelessly partial to — you might enjoy having distinct tools to control the battlefield, even if they draw on the same resource.

On one hand, I believe this might be Feats working as intended; supplement character concepts across classes, rather than impose a “feat tax” on a given class for ideal performance. See also: the Mobile Feat — not much novelty for Monks there but pretty good for certain Rogue, Ranger and possibly even other classes (DEX-based Vengeance Paladin, anyone?)
Stick it on a grappling-based character and go full lucha.

I'm in an odd spot. I like 5e, but I despise character optimization... which seems to be an integral part of the post-3e D&D experience.

I'm not playing D&D to play tactical chess and trying to outwit the players (or have them try to outwit me). But the game's features relentlessly push me there with so many "gotcha!" character abilities that completely neutralize encounters.

It feels antagonistic and I don't like that. It isn't fun for me, especially when players complain that they haven't had enough rests or that it is taking too long to level up. I never say NO. I just say: there are consequences for having a long rest in the middle of dangerous dungeon.

Then again, maybe it is just my group? Or maybe I'm in the wrong hobby.

EDIT: no, it's likely that it is ME. I need to step back a bit, I think.

T The Butcher - i would.nevwe tell someone not to build their favorite thing. I wasn't even strictly talki g about those two feats, which do indeed bring different things to the table. I was making a more general build statement. The fighter doesnt have a lot of competition for his reaction slot, and not even that much for his bonus action. Some other classes, like Rogue or Monk say, have a lot more competition for the bonus action especially. That and a lot of people underestimate the usefulness of have any option for the reaction slot instead of nothing.

I'm in an odd spot. I like 5e, but I despise character optimization... which seems to be an integral part of the post-3e D&D experience.

I'm not playing D&D to play tactical chess and trying to outwit the players (or have them try to outwit me). But the game's features relentlessly push me there with so many "gotcha!" character abilities that completely neutralize encounters.

It feels antagonistic and I don't like that. It isn't fun for me, especially when players complain that they haven't had enough rests or that it is taking too long to level up. I never say NO. I just say: there are consequences for having a long rest in the middle of dangerous dungeon.

Then again, maybe it is just my group? Or maybe I'm in the wrong hobby.

EDIT: no, it's likely that it is ME. I need to step back a bit, I think.

see, I think very much the opposite of 5e. 4e was pretty optimization friendly, as was 3e, but 5e pulled a lot of that out.

speaking about rests, it might be important to note that encounters, as defined, are not just monster encounters. It can be a lot of stuff, even stuff that isn’t likely to be particularly harmful. I’ve seen a lot of this, where the perception is that the only encounters are combat encounters and you should do 6-8 combat encounters. That’ll give you players complaining about rests quite a bunch.

speaking about rests, it might be important to note that encounters, as defined, are not just monster encounters. It can be a lot of stuff, even stuff that isn’t likely to be particularly harmful. I’ve seen a lot of this, where the perception is that the only encounters are combat encounters and you should do 6-8 combat encounters. That’ll give you players complaining about rests quite a bunch.
Ah interesting. Basically encounters are events that provoke the PCs to spend some of their resources, right? Spells, abilities, equipment, time... those sorts of things?

If so, I now feel better understanding around my player's complaints.

Ah interesting. Basically encounters are events that provoke the PCs to spend some of their resources, right? Spells, abilities, equipment, time... those sorts of things?

If so, I now feel better understanding around my player's complaints.
Not necessarily any of those resources but likely at least one, even if it’s just time. A puzzle might be one. A social encounter with a guard to get news and maybe get the lay of the political landscape may be another.

My guess is that by this definition they are getting far more encounters than getting credit for. The encounter is a pacing mechanic as much as anything. Consider one of my favorite examples of Loki and Black Widow having a social combat. - no resources were really expended, maybe a little time, but she won the knowledge of what his aim was.

https://www.dungeonsolvers.com/2018/04/07/encounter-in-dd-5e/ talks about it at length and has a nice video from Matt Colville (who I like and will take advice from, despite hating almost all other videos on this stuff).

Alright, there are many good arguments for:

1. Keeping Feats in the game

2. Respecting the system's expectations around # of encounters between short and long rests.

Next: question for the forum. I want to run a campaign with a curated list of classes, races, and spells. Any potential pitfalls and perils to consider?

Example:
  • Races: a world containing only variant humans, "half-elves" and "half-orcs" (reskinned as special human races).

• Classes: only one type of magic user class (Wizards; religious magic users would be Wizards with the right backgrounds)

• Spells: no "attack" spells; only control, status effects, enchantment etc... healing spells are added to Wizard's spell list

Is this sort of hacking going to cause trouble?

The whole thing about tracking encounters and accounting for rests in 5e feels very prescriptive, formulaic and meta to me. I’m at a point where I’m torn between various editions of D&D because I dislike old D&D (particularly the lack of customization options like skills and feats, and lack of unified mechanics), but prefer old school play and class simplicity, which was more organic and based on world simulation, and required less bookkeeping. But nu-D&D (particularly 4e and 5e) tends to feel pretty much like “It’s a game!” (as opposed to a ROLE playing game/simulated world), and requires me to keep track of a bunch of gamey class features and mechanics.

In old D&D if you set up camp to rest for an hour inside a dungeon (or other dangerous zones) you risked a random encounter with hostile creatures—not because it was old D&D, but because that’s the reality of a simulated world. But 5e is build around the assumption that some characters may have a bunch of fiddly class features that require short rests and you have to build your world and game play around these meta game mechanics and features. Otherwise some of your characters may be left behind on the action or become less effective.

5e introduced a few interesting innovations, like bounded accuracy or treating everything like an ability check (which unified mechanics even further), but it also adds a lot of new school baggage and assumptions that make it feel more like a video game (you recover ALL your HP in just ONE night of rest!) and increase bookkeeping substantially.

Next: question for the forum. I want to run a campaign with a curated list of classes, races, and spells. Any potential pitfalls and perils to consider?

Example:
  • Races: a world containing only variant humans, "half-elves" and "half-orcs" (reskinned as special human races).
very unlikely, other than variant humans are demonstrable better than humans. But it's a pretty minor thing.

• Classes: only one type of magic user class (Wizards; religious magic users would be Wizards with the right backgrounds)
well, lack of healing will definitely be a thing, and there are a fair number of spells on the clerics list that won't be in the wizards. Also, this is definitely sounding like an S&S campaign, and I would generally recommend another system.
  • Spells: no "attack" spells; only control, status effects, enchantment etc... healing spells are added to Wizard's spell list
well, there is the healing. I don't think this will be a big thing, other than a lot of work.

If by chance Sword and Sorcery is what you are looking for, and you don't want to switch off of 5e -
- year old video that talks about it

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/168153/Primeval-Thule-5e-GM-Companion - these two are a setting that is pretty close

https://xoth.net/publishing/ - another setting, also with 5e rules, and some adventures to go along. Highly compatible flavor-wise with Primeval Thule above, though a little less "elves and dwarves". custom classes and such to replace high fantasy bits.

and many more. "only humans and human variants" + "only one magic class" + "no blow them up spells" is extremely sword and sorcery. even if you are not looking for something explicitly Conan, it is going to be a good place to start for advice.

Yep. What I'm looking for just isn't D&D. The closest thing is Adventures in Middle Earth, honestly (or a whole other game, as you suggested).

It's too bad, because I genuinely like the 5e's system... superficially, obviously.

I don't usually agree with the Angry GM, but this article stuck a chord: https://theangrygm.com/fanservice-bs-low-magic/

Yep. What I'm looking for just isn't D&D. The closest thing is Adventures in Middle Earth, honestly (or a whole other game, as you suggested).

It's too bad, because I genuinely like the 5e's system... superficially, obviously.

I don't usually agree with the Angry GM, but this article stuck a chord: https://theangrygm.com/fanservice-bs-low-magic/
hey look, some things I recommended ;)

So a definite de-emphasis on magic.

there is e6 D&D, and there is some 5e discussion about that. That might be a good start.

Of course, I could easily recommend a pile of d100 stuff, but take a look at the xoth stuff first. That might get your itch.

As someone who enjoys a modicum of CharOp as a means to an end (rather than an end in and of itself), I’d say D&D5 is the most forgiving WotC edition in this regard. You don’t have to jump through any particular hoops to be effective, and there are no “I win” buttons hidden within a dense canopy of feat trees and prestige classes.

T The Butcher - i would.nevwe tell someone not to build their favorite thing.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you did; I was responding to a common stance that I see in character optimization threads.

Stick it on a grappling-based character and go full lucha.
Grappling mechanic is one of my favorites in 5e. I played a grappling Barbarian and it was so fun! Almost every creature in the MM has a terrible Athletics rating so it's real easy to grapple on round 1 then shove 'em to the ground on round 2 then let everyone whale on 'em with advantage. Or drag dudes into hazards. Or shut down casters. Or hold a couple dudes in place while the Evocation Wizard lands an AoE on top of you. Or use it to climb on top of a giant monster and whale on it with advantage (DMG pg 271).

It is not an overpowered one trick pony approach to combat by any means but grappling sure is fun!

Oddly the 5e Grappler feat is terrible and needs work. I wouldn't recommend taking it for a grappling build which is weird, I know.

As someone who enjoys a modicum of CharOp as a means to an end (rather than an end in and of itself), I’d say D&D5 is the most forgiving WotC edition in this regard. You don’t have to jump through any particular hoops to be effective, and there are no “I win” buttons hidden within a dense canopy of feat trees and prestige classes.

Yeah, just because the Fighter is better off with the Feats intact, doesn't mean it's not playable. It's very much so.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you did; I was responding to a common stance that I see in character optimization threads.
I feel like we're both indexing the same sorts of CO thread. Im fine with a little optimization in the service of realizing a concept, but that's about it. Maximizing DPR or nova just isn't something I find that interesting.

Honestly the more that I think about it, my gripes about 5e are really based on a poor setup of my campaign settings because I don't enjoy "vanilla" default high fantasy worlds.

I need to establish, beforehand, that the PCs are unique and special; that they are not the norm. That there is no crazy fantasy economy due to cantrips because actual magic users are super rare. Magic items can't be bought in any typical towns. Towns and villages are not Mos Eisley Cantinas in terms of fantasy races.

All those adjustments make me feel better about letting the PCs have crazy kewl 5e powers.

edit: fixed wording to be more legible

Last edited:
Honestly the more that I think about it, my gripes about 5e are really based on poor setup of the campaign setting.

I don't enjoy "vanilla" default high fantasy worlds.

If I establish before hand that the PCs are unique and special; that they are not the norm. There is no crazy fantasy economy because of cantrips because actual magic users are super rare. Magic items can't be bought in any typical towns. Towns and villages are not Mos Eisley Cantinas in terms of fantasy races.

All those adjustments make me feel better about letting the PCs have crazy kewl 5e powers.
Hey man I think of the same damn thing and the implications of commonplace magic drives me nuts.

In my Hyperborea campaign sorcery (aka magic) is not only rare but in civilized areas the use of magic is heavily regulated in by the nobility, the Magician's Guild, and dominant religions. In other words, sorcery is the province of the ruling classes or 1%. High level sorcerers (i.e. spellcasters) are the "billionaire class" of the setting which affords them tremendous influence along with spectacularly strange and decadent lifestyles. Obviously unsanctioned sorcery is still practiced and the punishments are harsh precisely because it is so difficult to enforce. Burning at the stake during festivals is the usual punishment.

Adventurers are exceptions or maybe they just keep their sorcery on the down-low.

I've found the 5E works best for a king of mythic fairytale type of world.

Kobold Press's Midgard is good example of this approach.

It really doesn't do low fantasy or sword and sorcery very well.

Even the Scarred Lands, which was designed for 3E felt somewhat wrong when I tried it with 5E.

In old D&D if you set up camp to rest for an hour inside a dungeon (or other dangerous zones) you risked a random encounter with hostile creatures—not because it was old D&D, but because that’s the reality of a simulated world. But 5e is build around the assumption that some characters may have a bunch of fiddly class features that require short rests and you have to build your world and game play around these meta game mechanics and features. Otherwise some of your characters may be left behind on the action or become less effective.
No! I keep saying, tweak these meta game mechanics and features around your world.

I keep saying, tweak these meta game mechanics and features around your world.
That's the way to do it. I wish the DMG had more advice for changing rules to fit genre and setting tropes. Yes there is always 3rd part material or DIY but I think it is important to have a wealth of "official" ways to do things as guidelines

5e isnt like the OSR which has had decades of playtesting to get things right

Some people dont seem to realize how much it messes with the whole game when you futz about with the rests owr day. My take on the feats is rhat I dont see the point in banning them unless the goal is to make playing a fighter as unpalatable as possible. Especailly not what are usually considered thw core fighter feats. Each to his table I sppose.

Feats are optional no? So there's no 'ban' per se.

I find the subclass feats plus stat increases powerful enough plus a good balance crunchwise but neither I nor my fellow players (most of who are newbs) are powergamers or buildmasters so I haven't ran into the issues or player demands/exploits so often discussed online.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJS
That's the way to do it. I wish the DMG had more advice for changing rules to fit genre and setting tropes. Yes there is always 3rd part material or DIY but I think it is important to have a wealth of "official" ways to do things as guidelines

5e isnt like the OSR which has had decades of playtesting to get things right

There are lots of optional rules in the 5e DMG, probably even more than in 2e which was the last real option heavy version of D&D.

I haven't really tried a lot of the optional rules yet though as I wanted to run 5e straight first before trying them out. As I'm a player right now and not feeling the need to GM a longer D&D campaign (I'd rather run CoC) it may be a while though.

If anyone has tried some of the options and liked them let me know

Can't say I've noticed OSR rules to be that tried and true. Some OSR rulesets are better designed than others (Beyond the Wall, White Hack and Into the Odd being the best) but I don't see any evidence that systems like LotFP or others are the result of decades of play (Rob Conley's ruleset excepted).

I think it says something for instance that the most popular OSR ruleset right now is OSE, which is essentially BTB B/X (although Gavin's optional rule extensions read as first rate to me).

Last edited:
Not necessarily any of those resources but likely at least one, even if it’s just time. A puzzle might be one. A social encounter with a guard to get news and maybe get the lay of the political landscape may be another.

My guess is that by this definition they are getting far more encounters than getting credit for. The encounter is a pacing mechanic as much as anything. Consider one of my favorite examples of Loki and Black Widow having a social combat. - no resources were really expended, maybe a little time, but she won the knowledge of what his aim was.

https://www.dungeonsolvers.com/2018/04/07/encounter-in-dd-5e/ talks about it at length and has a nice video from Matt Colville (who I like and will take advice from, despite hating almost all other videos on this stuff).

Credit where credit is due Justin Alexander Justin Alexander wrote about the misreading of encounters in 3rd edition way back in 2008.

I'm pretty amazed how often I read just straight up mis-readings or non-readings of rules online. 5e in particular seems to be an edition where a lot of people didn't bother to actually read the rules, bringing a lot of assumptions from 3e over wholesale.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJS
Can't say I've noticed OSR rules to be that tried and true.
It would have been more accurate for me to say that OD&D, B/X, and AD&D have had decades of playtesting by many thousands of players.

The key about encounters is that they have to reduce resources or it makes no sense to count them toward encounters per day for the purposes of resource tracking. Now if you're spending spell slots, or taking damage, then of course they count, but if you're only spending a single slot or taking a little damage then it's questionable how much they really count.

Now if the argument is 6-8 encounters is not really 6-8 because that 6-8 includes encounters that don't actually drain resources, then maybe?...But based on my experience with the game I don't really think so.

In any case, it's an art not a science.

All you really need to do, is make sure the player's maintain an appropriate level of uncertainty. It doesn't matter if you only have one combat in a long rest, if the players don't know that and don't feel free to blow everything. (So you can't regularly have one or two combats per long rest.)

I haven't really seen players complaining that lack of rests made them ineffective. What I've seen more is GMs complaining about how easy the game is for the players and how it's so hard to challenge them, right up to the point they keep increasing the difficulty of encounters so that combat gets increasingly bogged down and players have no choice but to use everything they have every combat (and therefore reintroduce the 5min workday), or they overcompensate and accidentally TPK.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's best to think of the idea of challenge in 5e as environmentally or situationally based. The Dungeon is the challenge, or the Forest of Doom. You don't need to use dungeons, but it probably helps to think in terms of metaphorical dungeons.

This is jarring for many, I think, because 3E and 4E drifted more toward the idea of challenge at the level of the individual combat - but 5E is a deliberate move away from that and back towards a more classic style of play. In 4E it doesn't really make a big difference if you face the dragon in the first combat of the day or the last, you'll still probably have almost the same amount of resources available. In 5E it makes a big difference; this means, for one thing, if you can avoid a fight, you could get a big advantage, while if you engage in unncessary combat when you could have made allies, then you could get yourself into serious trouble.

Last edited:

Example:

Is this sort of hacking going to cause trouble?

Not really. 5e is surprisingly robust for tinkering. In fact, core PHB is hard to char-gen a crippled PC without flagrant self-gimping (e.g. a wizard w/o armor prof who MUST wear armor at all times because... reasons! :goof:).

Just remember Coco Chanel: "less is more," and "before leaving the house, take two more accessories off."

In fact, Basic 5e is a great template for K.I.S.S setting design. It's the "fantasy vanilla" you don't want, but you can easily recognize it as "fantasy vanilla." (Fighter, mage, cleric, thief (one archetype each); human, elf, dwarf, halfling (two races each); six generic feudal-ish backgrounds; feats & multiclass off.) Pick your faves according to setting's logic and go!

Do something like that, and take even more stuff off right before game start. And feel free to edit that Spell List and Equipment List! It's your world, make it matter, make it breathe!

So, just do! Replace Basic 5e Slots, and edit more as desired:
Races -- V.Human, Half-Elf, Half-Orc
Class & Arch -- Wizard, Enchanter; Fighter, Battlemaster; Rogue, Assassin
Background -- Acolyte (allows very limited Cleric spell list bonus spells to Wizards), Pirate, Urchin, Haunted One, [Custom]
Spells -- No Blasty Attacks, Cantrips = Chips Left in GM's Bowl, etc.
Equip -- Rapier doesn't exist, Darts are actually light, Quarterstaff dmg is 1d4 (versatile 1d6), Lamp Oil like Greek Fire, etc.

5e is far less a Jenga/Kerplunk system than its WotC predecessors. Sharpie edit that mo-fo with abandon. Strong DIY chassis.

I tend to think the best way to approach Feats in D&D 5E is not as a list of 'powerz', but as some really cool stunts that the characters will pull off at times during the story (scenario). It doesn't mean that the PCs will be doing them all the time, they are more like 'exploits' or ''highlights' in an adventure story

All you do to reinforce this is change the perimeters of what constitutes Rests

For example if a Short Rest indicates at least 8hrs, and a Long Rest indicates a Game Week, then that's all the dials you need to slow down excessive Feat use, and the characters will save up the Feats for pivotal parts of the story rather than roling them out like super powers in every fight.

I've played it like this, and it completely changes the flavour of the game, making it feel more gritty.
I throw in stuff like magical healing items etc if things get too tight (eg: a potion which acts like a Short Rest etc), and these tend to be very valued and appreciated by the PCs. I also use them sparingly as well, so it isn't taken for granted.

That was pretty much the only modification I needed to make things feel more gritty, so it just depends on how you want to run things.

I agree that several of the Feats are great "once in a while" abilities. I've stolen the spotlight many times with the Actor Feat (in combination with my Mask of Many Faces Warlock).

Some, however, get frequently referred to as "must-haves" in optimization circles, which sours my perception of them. Not wholly logical, I'll admit.

I could see several of them being really great for creating diverse characters without multiclassing. A Fighter taking several of the magic feats, for example.

I agree that several of the Feats are great "once in a while" abilities. I've stolen the spotlight many times with the Actor Feat (in combination with my Mask of Many Faces Warlock).

Some, however, get frequently referred to as "must-haves" in optimization circles, which sours my perception of them. Not wholly logical, I'll admit.

I could see several of them being really great for creating diverse characters without multiclassing. A Fighter taking several of the magic feats, for example.
I think there's an assumption that while characters can use a variety of kit, they'll probably just pick one armour group and weapon group and stick with that; so once you've got your 20, picking the relevant combat style feat is the only real power bump left to you, and at that point it's a stronger pick than starting to work on a second attribute.

I mostly disregard the hardcore optimization crowd, other than make sure I have some idea what the high end optimized builds look like. Sure, some feats are pretty unequivocally awesome, but none of them are game breaking. I think they add more to the ability to get character concepts off the ground than hey take away in power creep. YMMV.

In any case, it's an art not a science.

All you really need to do, is make sure the player's maintain an appropriate level of uncertainty. It doesn't matter if you only have one combat in a long rest, if the players don't know that and don't feel free to blow everything. (So you can't regularly have one or two combats per long rest.)
Agree here. I feel like people are getting the wrong impression about all of this and think I am saying that you have to set up a formulaic adventuring day of 6-8 carefully balanced encounters and 1-2 short rests like a robot. Yes, everything is based around the adventuring day but in practice there is a lot of variance. Most times the players largely control the pace by exploring the dungeon, trying to get as much treasure as possible (or reach their objective, as the case may be) before their resources run dry and they have to retreat. Sometimes an "adventuring day" might only have 2-3 encounters with no rest but as you said the uncertainty and previous experience (deaths LOL) compels the players to carefully shepherd their resources. I don't stock a dungeon with carefully balanced encounters of Medium difficulty; I put a wide variety of difficulty in a dungeon, from Easy to Run Away. There's all kinds of tricks to keep things fresh like wave attacks. Anyway I can go on but my point is that the more system mastery a GM has the more they can play with and bend the adventuring day formula.

The good thing about 5e is that it broke from the "optimize or die" approach of earlier editions. If someone takes a feat for fun they aren't going to feel like the guy with a little dick who shows up to an orgy. I played an Eldritch Knight with Magic Initiate feat. It was a "suboptimal choice" from a pure min-max perspective but eldritch blast and hex were fun to play with and still effective. Same with grappling builds, they aren't the 100% most optimal way to play but they are a lot of fun and still quite effective.

Optimization circles are great to find out what to patch if you want to avoid that at your own table.

As for pacing, I am of the opinion (and experience) that if you tamp down on all the generous refreshing of resources you can then leave pacing to the players. First I'd eliminate Long Rests Full HP restore. Relying on Hit Dice tends to keep players more on it. And then once you leave pacing to players, you can throw more crap in the game and let players decide what to chew first -- and if they choke, they choke, and roll up a new PC! :wink:

My experience of taking away the full HP restore was that everyone just played it like previous editions - they would blow every spell slot on healing to restore HP and then go to sleep with the knowledge they were getting all their spell slots back - so the result ended up the same but with more bookkeeping.

I had considered taking an idea from one of the other variants in the DMG and also having a long rest only restore half spell slots, which I think would make it work better, but in the end I decided if I wanted it to take two days to recover everything it was probably better to just make long rests take two days.

I might still do it that way, if I had a group that was really into the micromanaging of resources.

Last edited:
First I'd eliminate Long Rests Full HP restore
One important thing to note is that Long Rests only restore 1/2 of a character's Hit Dice. This can make adventuring day after day dangerous since Hit Dice should be the primary means of hit point recovery. My players didn't realize that and it bit them in the ass during an expedition.

Yep its all about the pacing of Short Rests and Long Rests.

Going by the RAW the game play experience evokes a highly cinematic pulp fantasy flavour, with the higher level characters bordering on low-tiered Super Powers. It's not like 4E, but it's still pretty rocking with higher level characters. Which is pretty cool if that is what you are after.

Not sure that hits the spot for me however, so I knew tweaking the Rests would be pivotal to everything else.

If you slow the pacing down with Rests, even the higher leveled characters need to prioritise when to enact their Feats, and also need to be wary of slower Hit Point recovery
The high leveled magic-users need to prioritise their magic use, due to slower recovery, and tend to use Cantrips much more for everyday castings.

I tried running D&D 5E with Short Rests being more-or-less overnight (in game time), and Long Rests being a game time week.

That worked pretty well to portray a more low-fantasy level approach, which suits how I like it.

The player-characters tend to be more reserved about combat, and often seek non-combative means to solve challenges, as they know HP recovery is quite conservative (and they really value anything that assists this, such as environment or magical healing).

However I'm not sure how this would go with any of the published D&D 5E campaigns, it would depend which one (Obviously a dungeon crawl like Waterdeep Dungeon Of The Mad Mage may easily end up being a TPK, so that would not be a great fit).

Anyway, it's amazing how pacing the Rests can really change the flavour of things in D&D.

Last edited:
Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back