DC Comics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
They can't be equally bad, just in different ways?
They could. I’m hopeful. Apparently when people were trying to watch Tom and Jerry on HBOMax last week, they apparently got to see the first hour of JL by mistake. One guy said it was the best DC movie he had ever seen just on that little bit.

I've heard that it ends on a cliffhanger

There are a ton of reviews out and they all seem pretty positive. I might actually watch the silly thing.

They could. I’m hopeful. Apparently when people were trying to watch Tom and Jerry on HBOMax last week, they apparently got to see the first hour of JL by mistake. One guy said it was the best DC movie he had ever seen just on that little bit.
That's not a high bar to clear. Most of them didn't make the MCU money that Warner's wanted for a very good reason, the audience didn't like Snyder's dark take on the series.

Also, I have to ask. Is the new Snyder film (There never was a 'Snyder Cut', you don't give out 80m and expand the run time to a total of 4 hours for just reshoots, it's a whole new movie) really going to be that good, or is it going to be revenge on WB for screwing him out of the run of JL?

So, just finished the Snyder cut,

That was....long...

So, yeah, better than the theatrical version. Way better.

Does that mean it was a great movie?

ehhhh....

You know, the beginning, maybe the first hour and a half it was really, really good. Like I was thoroughly enjoying it to my surprise , thinking, wow, this is so different than the film we got from Whedon, this might actually turn out to be Snyder's masterpiece. The introduction of each of the characters was fantastic, and Steppenwolf was stepped up from sort of a schlocky cardboard cut-out to an actual palpable threat. The assault on Themyscara was amazing.

But aafter that initial burst, the pacing issues started to creep in. I mean, it's really hard to sustain a four hour film, certainly. But it was starting to drag...

And then, once Superman returned, it got weird. It was like two completely different films mashed together. On the one hand you had scenes of the world on the brink of apocalypse and the JL getting ready for the final assault, and then cut too....a very slow, sentimental scene on Kent farm. The Justice Leage shows up at Steppenwolf's base, and are talking about sacrifice, and the tension should be sky high for this last desperate chance to save the world, and then cut to Superman taking a trip down memory lane as he strolls slowly down the corridors of the Fortress of Solitude...

It was tonal whiplash.

The end fight scene was good. Quite good. The Flash's last desperate gamble was even highly emotional. And having Darkseid show up really elevated the situation.

And then there was a really long epilogue that seemed like nothing less than pure indulgence. The ridiculous future/dream sequence with the Joker was like a random student film tacked on, and then the very very end, well, I guess it was cool seeing Jon Jonz, but at that point it was all like "and then...."

Don't get me wrong, indulgence isn't necessarily bad, but fan service isn't the same as a tightly-constructed film. A masterpiece it is not. There's probably 2 to 2 1/2 hours of a really good film, and then a bunch of icing, and sparkles, and chunks of cookies, and sprinkles, and caramel drizzle on top.

Overall I'd give it a B+. It's worth watching at least once, if you are a comicbook fan.

Batman Ninja my dudes
Batman-Ninja-Movie-Review-1.jpg

Odd I just grabbed this thread. Im watching the redux of the Justice League. Is longer, better?

Just finished the Snyder Cut. I like it better than what came out. I liked the character development for the other heroes. Yeah, it dragged at times, but it was better than I expected. Having said that....

I really didn't like the cgi for Darkseid.

That's my only major complaint about it.

Just finished the Snyder Cut. I like it better than what came out. I liked the character development for the other heroes. Yeah, it dragged at times, but it was better than I expected. Having said that....

I really didn't like the cgi for Darkseid.

That's my only major complaint about it.

I really didn't care for the look of "Young Darkseid", I thought the end version was improved, but yeah...not to Thanos quality, and stilla little...thin?

Dood, that's not a high bar. Is it better than The Avengers? (Which is the film it was made to compete with.)

I don’t really compare the two universes that much. People rave about The Dark Knight, for instance, and it’s not even in my top ten favorite supers movies.

Yeah, the tone is so different it's pretty much in another genre.

I think The Dark Knight is a cinematic masterpiece, and at the same time I don't think it's a good "Batman movie".

Kinda like I thought Joker was a really good film while simultaneously never believing the character as presented in that film could ever be a criminal mastermind or supervillain that could face Batman.

I don’t really compare the two universes that much. People rave about The Dark Knight, for instance, and it’s not even in my top ten favorite supers movies.
If you're talking about Nolan's Bat-Thug, and the attempt at making him 'realistic', I'm not a fan of that series either.

One day, maybe, we'll get a real Batman on 'the Big Screen', instead of these inept attempts at trying to make him 'human' and frail.

Yeah, the tone is so different it's pretty much in another genre.

I think The Dark Knight is a cinematic masterpiece, and at the same time I don't think it's a good "Batman movie".

Kinda like I thought Joker was a really good film while simultaneously never believing the character as presented in that film could ever be a criminal mastermind or supervillain that could face Batman.
That's because it's not even a Batman film. But Todd Philips knew that to get some real money behind his Taxi Driver remake, he'd need that comic money. He's said so in an interview.

The paragraph in question:

“We didn’t make the movie to push buttons,” Phillips told TheWrap’s editor-in-chief, Sharon Waxman, in an interview last Friday about the filmmaking process. “I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film’. It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it f–ing Joker’. That’s what it was.”

It's a lie, to get the gullible to watch his admittedly GOOD movie about man losing his grip on reality.

One day, maybe, we'll get a real Batman on 'the Big Screen'

We did, once. It was called Mask of the Phantasm. And apparently it bombed horribly, but everyone at the Kubert school went and saw it opening night, so it was a packed theatre, I didn't find out until later we must have pretty much been the only ones :tongue:

“We didn’t make the movie to push buttons,” Phillips told TheWrap’s editor-in-chief, Sharon Waxman, in an interview last Friday about the filmmaking process. “I literally described to Joaquin at one point in those three months as like, ‘Look at this as a way to sneak a real movie in the studio system under the guise of a comic book film’. It wasn’t, ‘We want to glorify this behavior.’ It was literally like ‘Let’s make a real movie with a real budget and we’ll call it f–ing Joker’. That’s what it was.”

It's a lie, to get the gullible to watch his admittedly GOOD movie about man losing his grip on reality.

At the very least they went to the effort to actually tie it into the comic, with the Waynes being major players.

Better than cheap cash-ins like Paperman, made by people who have obviously never read a comicbook in their life.

At the very least they went to the effort to actually tie it into the comic, with the Waynes being major players.

Better than cheap cash-ins like Paperman, made by people who have obviously never read a comicbook in their life.
Paperman! Bitten by a radioactive sheet of paper!

JG

Just using the names does not count as tie in, to me. That's just lazy.

I found Joker a bit underwhelming because it was such an obvious imitation of Taxi Driver as a comic book movie, which I guess is interesting as an intellectual exercise but it just seemed confused and unfocused and a pale imitation of a major American masterpiece.

Also not such a great idea to model one's film on such a technically brilliant film, Phillips' limitations in comparison are all too obvious because of it.

I prefer how Winter Solider slyly references the paranoid thrillers and crime dramas of the 70s (Redford, 'Troubleman Theme') without outright imitating every aspect like Joker does, from the very look of the film to the story beats.

Phoenix was great as usual but perhaps too slavishly caught up in the most obvious aspects of the Method. Best thing in the movie and the best reason to watch it even if I don't rate it very high in terms of his best performances overall.

To me a much less polished but because of that more believably personal and intense take on the 'Taxi Driver meets superheroes' idea is James Gunn's Super, which is also much superior to the similar but more shallow Kickass.

Last edited:
I really didn't care for the look of "Young Darkseid", I thought the end version was improved, but yeah...not to Thanos quality, and stilla little...thin?

I agree, that was worse. I didn't realize who it was at first in that scene. Plus, he got owned by Zeus!

I gotta say, the Snyder cut of Justice League was better than I was expecting. Much more character development for Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash, and they all got to do much more. It drags at times, and I think it would have been better set up as a mini-series instead of an overly long movie. Still, it did a better job than what came out in theaters.

I'm not going to compare it to Avengers, because it's like Apples & Oranges. Both taste great, but they don't taste the same. I prefer Avengers, but that's more my personal taste.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back