DC Comics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I find it unlikely Snyder's original vision was a four hour marathon. I find this all a bit weird. I tried watching the previoius edition early on in the lockdown on netprimflixzon, but I gave up because it was fucking awful.

OTOH DC should be proud that it has the best superhero movie, to this day, ever made. Superman the movie. Wipes the floor with everything, and I mean everything, that Marvel has released. Still.

I gotta say, the Snyder cut of Justice League was better than I was expecting. Much more character development for Aquaman, Cyborg and Flash, and they all got to do much more. It drags at times, and I think it would have been better set up as a mini-series instead of an overly long movie. Still, it did a better job than what came out in theaters.

I'm not going to compare it to Avengers, because it's like Apples & Oranges. Both taste great, but they don't taste the same. I prefer Avengers, but that's more my personal taste.
The problem is that it was meant to compete with Marvel Avengers, though. So they SHOULD be compared. As for having more character development... Well, yes, of course, it's been padded out to a four hour length, what else are they going to do?

I find it unlikely Snyder's original vision was a four hour marathon. I find this all a bit weird. I tried watching the previoius edition early on in the lockdown on netprimflixzon, but I gave up because it was fucking awful.

OTOH DC should be proud that it has the best superhero movie, to this day, ever made. Superman the movie. Wipes the floor with everything, and I mean everything, that Marvel has released. Still.
There never was a 'SnyderCut', in the terms everyone was thinking. What we got in theatres was a truncated version of it. AT&T gave him a full movie budget to remake his film as he liked, which is what everyone assumes his original release was, which it wasn't.

Just using the names does not count as tie in, to me. That's just lazy.

They didn't just use the names, they integrated Batman's origin, and created a pre-existing relationship between the Wayne family and Joker. So they at least didn't half-ass it, even if the film was more of a tribute to Taxi Driver mixed with King of Comedy than a comicbook adaptation.

The problem is that it was meant to compete with Marvel Avengers, though. So they SHOULD be compared. As for having more character development... Well, yes, of course, it's been padded out to a four hour length, what else are they going to do?

If you want to compare them, feel free. I'm not, because I've already admitted I'm biased towards Marvel, and with few exceptions, likely always will be when it comes to the movies.

I was a Marvel reader as a kid and only casually read the occassional DC comic, so I have much more built-in nostalgia and investment in that setting.

I was a Marvel reader as a kid and only casually read the occassional DC comic, so I have much more built-in nostalgia and investment in that setting.

I was more of a DC guy when I was younger. Post-crisis, I started to get into Marvel more. I like their Elseworlds stuff (the one with Superman taking on the Martians from War of the Worlds was good, if overly dark), but by the time DC ditched All-Star Squadron for Young All-Stars (which was ok, but not as good as the original imho), I started shifting towards Marvel. I'm more into small press (with Valiant, Dark Horse and Image titles in the mix), but I'll still pick up older stuff on sale via Comixology, and check out selected new titles (for instance, I got into New Superman, which wasn't tied too directly into other stuff going on in DC, so I could enjoy it on its own)

I want a Squadron Supreme vs Justice League cross over. I've wanted it ever since Hawkeye said "oh! I get it! These guys are just cheap Squadron Supreme knock offs" in JLA / Avengers. I'm pretty sure Superman would gladly spend a week with Ultraman over five minutes with Hyperion.

I want a Squadron Supreme vs Justice League cross over. I've wanted it ever since Hawkeye said "oh! I get it! These guys are just cheap Squadron Supreme knock offs" in JLA / Avengers. I'm pretty sure Superman would gladly spend a week with Ultraman over five minutes with Hyperion.

I want a Squadron Supreme movie, period.

Sure, but at that point it'd be too tempting to do it as a straight jab at the Justice League movie. Nah, I want the classic, not so smart, not so shiny guys who get mind controlled all the time.

Jesus, that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Cabin Boy seemed to (rightly) drown his career
28eee233-352a-4548-b227-ea0d177d9545_text_hi.gif

Sure, but at that point it'd be too tempting to do it as a straight jab at the Justice League movie. Nah, I want the classic, not so smart, not so shiny guys who get mind controlled all the time.

That's where we differ. I want one that doesn't have such a silly weakness. I think the Squadron has enough personality to be their own thing without fully ripping off Justice League. You can even tie it to Eternals, since Hyperion actually is one (or at least one version of him is)

If a movie that isn't supposed to make sense starts to make sense is that an improvement or artistic self annihilation.

Apparently, according to WB, Wonder Woman 84 was watched more times in it's opening weekend, than Zack Snyder's Justice League. At least that's the story they're running with.

I’m not subscribing to HBO Max just to watch one movie, even with a free trial. When it’s released on Amazon, then I’ll watch it.

What’s that?

Free streaming service, probably originating in Eastern Europe or something. Not legal, but it's like watching something on Youtube instead of downloading torrentz, worth using until it inevitably gets shut down.

Jesus, that's a name I've not heard in a long time...

Cabin Boy seemed to (rightly) drown his career

you might be amused to know that several years ago there was a “non-special edition” DVD release of his series Get A Life. I recall some promo material being along the lines of “No special featured because nobody cares.”

i still need to buy that, after I get done with the She-Wokf of London/Love & Curses collection.

So Pierce Brosnan is playing Dr. Fate in the Black Adam movie. He's one of four JSA members in it (Hawkman and Atom Smasher are also; I forget who the fourth is)

New Suicide Squad trailer is out. From what I'm reading, this takes elements from the first story arc in the original comic, but it looks like they added a really big bad to the mix (a glimpse of which is in the trailer). Love that King Shark is both amusing and scary as fuck, and John Cena owns the Peacemaker role. It's not my favorite version of the character (I loved the original Charlton version), but if you're going to have a Captain America wannabe being a douche, Cena as Peacemaker is the perfect fit. Sadly, it's age restricted, so you need to follow the link and watch it on Youtube :argh:

Okay, yeah, I'm in.

I didn't dislike the first movie as much as some, but this I'm more (cautiously) optimistic for.

Okay, yeah, I'm in.

I didn't dislike the first movie as much as some, but this I'm more (cautiously) optimistic for.

My main issue was I felt it was the wrong story to start off a SS franchise with. And Will Smith as Deadshot. I don't dislike him, but there are others better suited to the role imho.

I also found out that Sylvester Stallone is the voice of King Shark. That's kind of badass

I would have been happier if the script and direction had called for Will Smith to actually play the character of Floyd Lawton instead of yet another version of, well, Will Smith.

Also, I know he's there to be cannon fodder, but is it wrong of me that I want Polka-Dot Man to survive? Just to defy expectations?

I would have been happier if the script and direction had called for Will Smith to actually play the character of Floyd Lawton instead of yet another version of, well, Will Smith.

Also, I know he's there to be cannon fodder, but is it wrong of me that I want Polka-Dot Man to survive? Just to defy expectations?

I kind of want Polka Dot Man to survive too. I'm hoping King Shark and Bloodsport do as well. I'm pretty sure Peacemaker will, given his HBO Max series. Past that, the only ones I expect to survive are Harley, Flagg and Boomerang

New Suicide Squad trailer is out. From what I'm reading, this takes elements from the first story arc in the original comic, but it looks like they added a really big bad to the mix (a glimpse of which is in the trailer). Love that King Shark is both amusing and scary as fuck, and John Cena owns the Peacemaker role. It's not my favorite version of the character (I loved the original Charlton version), but if you're going to have a Captain America wannabe being a douche, Cena as Peacemaker is the perfect fit. Sadly, it's age restricted, so you need to follow the link and watch it on Youtube :argh:

I was so underwhelmed by the trailer. And I came in with no expectations. I like Guardians of The Galaxy too...

If you want a patriotic douche, you go to John Cena. :hehe:

JG

Speaking of a Captain America wannabe acting like a douche, can we make a new thread for The Falcon and The Winter Soldier?

I’m really hoping that after the “madmen” comment from Peacemaker he starts hallucinating his dead, Nazi father saying “Ja, ja, ve do not know the minds of madmen, do ve Christopher,” and he bungles things because of it, like he did in Checkmate.

ironically, I posted in the media thread yesterday about hating a character having hallucinations and still going about her day, but with Peacemaker the fact he was mentally unhinged and still trying to be a hero was a major plot point, and not the author failing to realize the problem with that.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back