DC Comics

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I will always love that symbol.

I think it was stupid of them to abandon it - it is so iconic

I love the Nolan Batman films, but I still think the costume (and the Batmobile) look like crap compared to Burton's

None of the trailers DC dropped today make me want to go see their films, but I will say that the Batmobile’s resemblance to a 70s Dodge Challenger makes me wish this movie followed the adventures of a muscle car-obsessed Batman.

View attachment 36862

View attachment 36863

Unfortunately we never got to see Francesco Francavilla's "Batman 1972".

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo3_500.jpg

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo7_500.jpg

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo6_500.jpg

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo5_500.jpg

tumblr_mnfw7tML9Y1ssmbizo4_500.jpg

giphy.gif

I don’t like Batman wearing regular clothes. Part of the fun of superhero comics are how garish the costumes look. I’m a big fan of the recent Shazam and Aquaman movies because the costumes look like their comic book versions for the most part.

I've rather liked the costumes as clothes on Titans. Yeah, I lean towards clothes instead of costumes.

I’m reminded of a Wildstorm storyline after DC bought them, where it turned out that Henry Bendix had been a horrible monster and arranged his own death so he could come back from the dead and save the Wildstorm universe from a threat he’d been given a vision of as a child.

The entire series it occurred in was retconed in one panel in another series.

There's a big DC sale on Comixology right now. I'm contemplating whether or not to pick up a couple more trades of Teen Titans from the Perez era (when Raven & Starfire first appeared). I've got until the 22nd to decide, so no rush yet

There's a big DC sale on Comixology right now. I'm contemplating whether or not to pick up a couple more trades of Teen Titans from the Perez era (when Raven & Starfire first appeared). I've got until the 22nd to decide, so no rush yet
That era of the Titans is kind of weird for me. I don’t care for the epic stories, but I think the personal stories were well done.

Is that the era where Dick told Bruce to take his sidekick job and shove it?

Is that the era where Dick told Bruce to take his sidekick job and shove it?
I think it may have been the second time. If memory serves the original, 60s Teen Titans had a story where the sidekicks give their walking papers to their mentors.

But if you meant if this was when he became Nightwing, then yes.

Any comics not mentioned already on the thread that people would recommend?

I’m not on Comixology, but if any of the following are on there, I’d recommend:

-The 90s Suicide Squad by Ostrander

-Wildstorm’s DV8 post-Ellis (around issue 10, I think he left). Even when Ellis was having his butt kissed by everyone Wizard magazine panned his run on DV8, and reading them years later I totally agree. The post-Ellis issues are great, and are my favorite teen superhero group stories, but sadly are forgotten, like almost everything Wildstorm not written by a popular writer.

-Wildstorm’s Team Zero. Very annoying to read if you’re a long-time fan of the universe, due to some lame retro-continuity, but if you want an end-of-World War II story with no supers I recommend it.

-The Abnett-written Majestic is a fun read, and pretty much self-contained. It’s pretty accessible to those without prior knowledge of Wildstorm.

-The New 52 Team Seven was fun, but it was cancelled and the last few issues are very rushed. The earlier ones are fun, though.

-I enjoyed the New 52 Green Lantern titles as well. Other than looking at a friend’s Blackest Night issues, it was my first reading of Green Lantern since the 90s, and I’ve enjoyed all the TPBs I picked up. Be warned there are a lot of Lantern vs Lantern storylines, leaving you to wonder when they fight crime.

If you like Golden Age stuff, there is a special edition of the Elseworlds The Golden Age. I love the story myself. There are also various compilations of the old JLA and other multiversal team ups pre-Crisis. Those are titled Crisis on Multiple Earths. There is at least 3-4 volumes.

Which one of the movies has Alfred driving in the passenger seat? Was that at the end of Batman Returns?

Which one of the movies has Alfred driving in the passenger seat? Was that at the end of Batman Returns?

Honestly haven't seen Batman Forever or Batman & Robin since the theatres.

I recently rewatched Returns, though, a film that I've had a strange relationship with. I initially liked it as a kid, then I got older and didn't like it at all, and now I kinda love it, maybe more than Batman '89.

I like the Burton Batman movies for two reasons. The visuals are top notch for Batman and I love the actor’s characterizations. The actual stories themselves are sort of “eh”.

I like the Burton Batman movies for two reasons. The visuals are top notch for Batman and I love the actor’s characterizations. The actual stories themselves are sort of “eh”.

I like slipping into that dark fairytale world that Burton created. It's not faithful to the comics, but as it's own thing, it's just a treat to "live" i nthat hyper-reality for a time.

A few weeks ago I stumbled on a copy of Sugar & Spike: Metahuman Investigations, which I’d never heard of before. Finally having had a chance to read it, it is a strange, perfect balance of what to do, and not to do, in a comic.

It’s got a great concept, that Sugar and Spike clean up personal messes for superheroes, and runs with it. I won’t even try to figure out the continuity of the book, as it seems to be set in modern continuity but relies on several Silver Age stories in all their wacky glory. If you want Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman to be called on their stupid behavior in the 60s and them having to deal with it, you’ve come to the right place.

As for the bad, if you don’t know who Sugar and Spike are, you really won’t know after reading it, as they’re depicted as bland characters with only faint hints to their background or relationship; I just glanced at the back cover and saw the ad copy on the back does little to describe the actual content of the story. It also doesn’t help that the female protagonist is s grade-A bitch whose actions include risking her victim’s—-I mean lifelong friend’s—life as a diversion, then mocking him for believing her lie that she knew he could handle it. She has no redeeming features, and it seems like since she is a main character the author thinks we’ll automatically root for whatever she does.

(For those familiar with Giffen’s output in recent years, the usual drinking game can be applied to how characters talk)

Lastly, the cover art reprinted in the book has several characters not in the collection. Initially I thought their presence was just to set the tone of the series. As I had an experience two years ago of buying a collection only to find out the character on the cover that drew me in wasn’t in said collection. From the back cover I realize this isn’t a collection of a Sugar & Spike mini-series, but a tale from an anthology series. This explains the other characters on the cover art, but apparently means this volume is incomplete. Mention is made of s Firestorm story that isn’t in the collection, and I thought it was an off-panel story. Then I realized that Firestorm was in the anthology series, so they had a crossover that isn’t in the collection, and I’ve no idea if the anthology’s other stories were reprinted.

I actually like this collection, but it could have been so much more.

I finally read some Tom King, specifically some of his Batman work.

I don’t get the hype train for him, moreso as two issues are just a reworking of a one-issue Superman and Wonder Woman story, with Batman replacing Superman.

I finally read some Tom King, specifically some of his Batman work.

I don’t get the hype train for him, moreso as two issues are just a reworking of a one-issue Superman and Wonder Woman story, with Batman replacing Superman.

I didn’t read his Batman run. There are some things I have read by him that I would recommend; Vision, Mr. Miracle, and Sheriff of Babylon. Those are all very good, and Mr. Miracle is especially impressive.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back