Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The only thing that doesn’t make sense is that they do this show and then people would be asking where they might snag a copy and the answer would be “eBay”. Then DC decides to print 3rd edition but the excitement has already faded a bit. That’s my worry.

If they already have a PDF option prepared then they could respond very quickly to any demand? I get the impression that lots of comic books are electronic these days, so that might be a fairly natural delivery channel for them?

Or they could have a pre-order or Kickstarter link waiting in the wings?

Just a reminder for those interested that the first episode of DCU All-Star Games premieres tomorrow on the DC Universe video streaming service.

Last edited:
Just a reminder for those interested that the first episode of
DCU All-Star Games
premieres tomorrow on the DC Universe video streaming service.

I've already got Prime, Netflix, and Shudder...how much does the DC streaming service cost?

I won’t pay to watch this but I will buy any DCH stuff they put out.

I won’t pay to watch this but I will buy any DCH stuff they put out.

Yeah, I have all the Timm/Diniverse in hardcopy, so I don't need to stream those. That kinda leaves the Arrowverse, which I'm mildly interested in, but not sure enough to invest in a streaming service for. If there was just a general "Warner Bros" streaming that included all this stuff, I think I'd be more tempted, if just for the film backlog, but....

guess I won't be watching people play DCH

FWIW, the DC Universe isn't just the DC related movies and television shows. It also includes a library of over 20,000 comic books and graphic novels, spanning decades, that you can read digitally. That's what initially sold me on it. Watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, the Superman animated series, and the Justice League animated series is just a very nice bonus.

The pricing of all this is just odd to me. I just got warned by Xfinity I am about to go over my terabyte of data a month and I'll have to pay $10/50MB of overage. This is off because my previous all time high was apparently 310MB with 3 months of somehow 0 MB used. I mention this because it looks to me I'm seeing EVERYONE get so greedy that it makes sense for me to go buy used DVDs again vs pay for cable & streaming. It's wierd.

FWIW, the DC Universe isn't just the DC related movies and television shows. It also includes a library of over 20,000 comic books and graphic novels, spanning decades, that you can read digitally. That's what initially sold me on it. Watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, the Superman animated series, and the Justice League animated series is just a very nice bonus.

That does make it worthwhile but I should read all the DC stuff I recently got in hardcopy and via Kindle first.

Is that a miniature of Stately Wayne Manor?

Quite surprised they couldn’t get Joe Manganiello for this one. Dude plays Deathstroke in the DCEU and seems to be a legit TRPG fan.

Is that a miniature of Stately Wayne Manor?

It looks like it, although it wasn't used in the first episode. The setting is in a suburb of Gotham City, so probably.

Looks like they are playing first edition.

Yeah, they are. Freddie Prinze, Jr. there is the only one that has ever played DC Heroes before. The rest are completely new to it.

The first episode was only 23 minutes. I imagine the rest will be around the 25 to 30 minute mark. So, if you want to watch it and don't care about the rest of the stuff in DC Universe, pay $8 to subscribe for one month a month from now and you can watch the whole thing in one 2.5 hour chunk if you desire.

Is there any way to tell how many people watch shows on their app? I’m curious how well this will do.

Is there any way to tell how many people watch shows on their app? I’m curious how well this will do.

Oh yeah they can track their traffic. I wonder how it will do too, CR is a free stream isn't it?

Not publicly, but I am sure that they are internally. Like Ray Winninger said, DC is probably watching the streaming numbers to determine if it's worth re-issuing DC Heroes.

I'm doing my part. I watched the first episode twice, and put it on in the background a third time. :tongue:

so theres a free place to see it w/o signing up for the streaming service?

ComicBook.com interviewed Sam Witwer, the GM of DCU All-Star Games, and he gives some good advice about game mastering.

From Comic Book:

DC Universe All Star Games is a perfect introduction to roleplaying games and tabletop, though taking on your first campaign as the game master can be daunting for sure, and Witwer shared some effective advice for those looking to try it out.

"Just do it, just do it," Witwer said. "And then the other, look, if you have a great group of friends who are all at the table to not only have fun, but to see to it that everyone else is having fun, you can't lose. You just really can't. I mean, conversely, what sucks is if you have one bad apple, it does sort of hinder the fun, but generally, if you have good friends and they all want to see this succeed, you'll succeed. Just jump in and do it."

"The other thing is don't be afraid to have things go off the rails," Witwer said. "That's why it's a game, and that's why you're not writing a novel here. You're doing a cooperative storytelling experience, so just roll with it. If ever you get too stressed out or you need to think about something for a second, call a bathroom break. That's how you do it. You just say, 'Hey, let's take a little bathroom break, whatever, get drinks, and eat some Doritos'. Then you go away and think for about five minutes and figure out what you're going to do next. But just have fun. The game is there to have fun and just go with it."

The whole article is worth a read, IMO.

Are they playing established heroes or their own creations?

One other thing to say: DC Universe has its own community forums area. In the discussion of the show, there are quite a few people who have posted that they have/had no idea what a tabletop RPG is, never played one before, but have shown interest now thanks to the first episode alone. Someone even mentioned starting a DC Heroes game on Discord.

One other thing to say: DC Universe has its own community forums area. In the discussion of the show, there are quite a few people who have posted that they have/had no idea what a tabletop RPG is, never played one before, but have shown interest now thanks to the first episode alone. Someone even mentioned starting a DC Heroes game on Discord.

This is stuff I love to read about.

I never thought that I'd watch Freddie Prinze, Jr. play the DC Heroes RPG.

Yeah, he always struck me as the Villains & Vigilantes RPG type.

Seriously though, I'd probably pick up this series if it was included as an extra with some DC movie Blu-rays. I also wonder if Tales From the Loop will see a jump in interest after the TV show starts this April. At least some people may want to know more about the RPG and setting details.

Seems like a missed opportunity not to put it on YouTube. It’s free advertising at the end of the day...

I agree in part, but I think that DC Comics is trying to add "value" to DC Universe. DC Universe was created before AT&T bought Warner Bros. From what I've been reading, there's now some internal strife over it. Some of the AT&T higher-ups want to close DC Universe and fold the movies and shows into HBO Max. The digital comic book and graphic novel library would go bye-bye, because, I mean, after all, who cares about comic books today, right?

I hope it never happens. HBO Max will be $15 per month when it launches in a couple of months, and word is that AT&T plans to slowly raise the price to $25 per month over the next several years. $15 per month would be $180 per year, when I'm currently paying $75 per year for DC Universe, and it would be for less content as there would be no digital comic book and graphic novel library. The rest of the stuff on HBO Max I couldn't care less about.

Sounds like AT&T has their head up their ass.

Yeah. Over all, I think the acquisition of Warner Bros. was a bad deal for DC Comics. Between the acquisitions of DirecTV and Warner Bros., AT&T now has a lot of debt. Over $150 billion in debt to be exact. With their DirecTV services tanking quickly (the subscriber number peaked before it was even sold), they're pinning a lot of their hope on the upcoming HBO Max video streaming service and trying to get rid of anything quickly that they see as under-performing or not of value. For AT&T executives, DC Comics seems to meet that criteria. As far as they are concerned, comic books and graphic novels haven't been relevant in decades beyond IP they can use for movies, television shows, and merchandise.

As I've posted before, it really wouldn't surprise me if AT&T eventually shuttered the DC Comics' publishing side.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back