Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
DC Universe (a WarnerMedia streaming service dedicated to everything DC Comics), just announced a new series: DCU All-Star Games. It will feature celebrities playing tabletop games based on DC Comics, and will be hosted by the WWE's Xavier Woods. The series is scheduled to premiere on Friday, February 28th.

The first episode will have Xavier Woods and several other celebrities play, of all things, DC Heroes. You can read more about it here.

Wow, that’s a really interesting development. Surely the obvious next step is to get the game back in print, too?

I seem to recall that DC may own all the content of the game, including the rules, and so could re-publish if they wanted to? I think this came up in the discussion of Blood of Heroes?

Yep, DC can create a new edition with no issues.

You'd think a program like this being streamed would indicate that's coming.

The only thing that would worry me about that is if everything is updated to the "new 52" - or whatever the current timeline is. But, well, that's pretty much unavoidable I'm sure. The original game came at just the right time in comics history when you had a sort of standardized/iconic version of all the characters.

If I had my druthers (which I don't) it would be based on the Timm/Dini DC animated universe.

I think because they printed those Watchmen modules in that Companion a couple months ago makes it more likely as well. Ray Winninger, who basically was in charge of DCH 2nd edition, writing the intro to that book makes it seem even more likely.

The only thing that would worry me about that is if everything is updated to the "new 52" - or whatever the current timeline is. But, well, that's pretty much unavoidable I'm sure. The original game came at just the right time in comics history when you had a sort of standardized/iconic version of all the characters.

If I had my druthers (which I don't) it would be based on the Timm/Dini DC animated universe.

Having recently just gotten into DC, a re-release isn't directly a big deal to me other than, "it figures it would get re-released right after I hunt down old copies on the secondary market." I had noticed that recent Watchmen book which allegedly includes DC Heroes material. So, I do hope it means DC Heroes gets a reprint.

But you've also pointed out what would ruin it for me. By definition, it's going to be based on a version of DC which is completely alien to me.

I've never been a big DC fan. I intentionally avoided their titles all through my comics years. My only DC fandom comes from a brief period of time at the end of the 70s when I read Action Comics and Superman. I had Action Comics #500 which was a great title for a burgeoning Superman Family fan, but it just didn't stick. I was more of a fan of the movie(s) (at that time only the first two Reeve movies), and the Super Friends cartoon. My interest was Pre-Crisis stuff.

That was why I intentionally went with 1e instead of 2e, because of the pre-crisis nature of that set. Plus, I like the busy cover art on the box. That's nostalgic for me from seeing it in Waldenbooks all the time.

But any new edition will be with newer versions of the heroes. So Superman won't wear his trunks anymore. (I'm sorry, I do think his new look is pretty cool, but I'm so used to seeing those trunks on him that he just looks strange without them) It's all going to be some universe that was rebooted in the past five years which will be completely alien to me. Or based on the movie universe. :shock:

So yeah, I'm an old man. I'd be happy to see DC Heroes back in print as DC Heroes (maybe with some Jim Lee art), but not happy about what DC it would be based on.

The last thing I read about the current DCU is that it's intergrated with Watchmen (so basically the etsy's of certain characters now cohabit a reality with the original characters they were based on), and the universe was actually created by Dr. Manhattan, so he is now literally God in the DCU.

(sigh)

Actually the characters have had their trunks come back. I think DC realized that you can’t make changes like that to costumes, no matter how much outer underwear doesn’t make logical sense in the universe.

DCH second edition has more refined rules than first, although the art in the books is worse.

I have a sealed copy of 1st edition, but I''ve always played using the 3rd edition rulebook

Wow. I guess it’s good the DCU isn’t quite the license to print billions that the MCU is. I wonder if Disney/Marvel will respond with their own.

Allegedly? It's literally the only content.

Then I stand clarified. I remember seeing it mentioned here on the forums and just sort of categorized it as a random assortment of Watchmen stuff compiled in a book.

Then I stand clarified. I remember seeing it mentioned here on the forums and just sort of categorized it as a random assortment of Watchmen stuff compiled in a book.
It reprints the DC Heroes Watchmen Sourcebook and 2 adventure modules set in 1966 and 1968, respectively: Who Watches the Watchmen? and Taking Out the Trash.

One of the great vaporware tragedies of my adolescence was the loss of Neil Gaiman's original manuscript for the DCH magic sourcebook.

They released a book with all the Watchmen material for the game a last December.

If I was truly apeshit fucking bonkers I’d run DCH3 again. I even have a campaign premise: DCEU only the Apokolips invasion makes sense — players play JL heroes meeting each other as they gradually uncover Apokolips and their plans for invasion, starting with a riff off the classic Law of Darkness module. And screw Steppenwolf, this ends with a showdown with Darkseid!

There's some more information from a new Comics Beat article. The Newsarama article made it sound like DC Heroes would only be played in the first episode, but the new Comics Beat article says that it will be played throughout the entire season. Oh, and Freddie Prinze, Jr. is executive producing the new streaming series.

Comics Beat said:
[...] the streaming service is greenlighting an “unscripted anthology gaming miniseries” in the vein of actual-play podcasts like Friends at the Table and Critical Role.

For those who aren’t fans of the above, these shows tell stories using tabletop roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons. In this case, DC Universe All Star Games will feature DC Heroes, a TTRPG set in the comic’s universe. For the show’s first season, the players will be thrown back to the 80’s (the same decade the game was published) for a Breakfast Club meets comics improv crossover.

DC Universe is bringing on Clare Grant, Vanessa Marshall and WWE’s Xavier Woods for its first tabletop romp, with ecexutive producers Freddie Prinze Jr., (Star Wars Rebels) and Sam Witwer (Star Wars: The Clone Wars). Prinze adds that DC Heroes was the first tabletop RPG he ever played and that, “I had a blast making this series and I hope all of you love it as much as I do.”

DC Universe All Star Games begins on February 28; the first in what will be a five-part first season with new episodes hitting the streamer every following Friday.

The last thing I read about the current DCU is that it's intergrated with Watchmen (so basically the etsy's of certain characters now cohabit a reality with the original characters they were based on), and the universe was actually created by Dr. Manhattan, so he is now literally God in the DCU.

(sigh)
Basically yep. I've the rest behind a spoiler if it's too painful!

Basically the fundamental entities are now Dr. Manhattan and the "Metaverse" the primal metafictional core of the DC multiverse which consists of the basic Superman story out of which everything else grows, i.e. all other characters and timelines.

Manhattan damaged the Metaverse in his attempts to understand it and to protect itself it sparked off another Crisis to reboot.

But just before that happened Superman gave Manhattan a "Just believe bro!" speech which made Manhattan realise the hope and wonder inherent in the DC universe so he personally rebooted it along a more optimistic philosophy

:crossed:

Basically the fundamental entities are now Dr. Manhattan and the "Metaverse" the primal metafictional core of the DC multiverse which consists of the basic Superman story out of which everything else grows, i.e. all other characters and timelines.

Manhattan damaged the Metaverse in his attempts to understand it and to protect itself it sparked off another Crisis to reboot.

But just before that happened Superman gave Manhattan a "Just believe bro!" speech which made Manhattan realise the hope and wonder inherent in the DC universe so he personally rebooted it along a more optimistic philosophy

:crossed:

I hate everything

Not a chance.
I agree in that to anyone who matters, gaming isn’t even on their radar, they work on a higher plane of existence. All of Hasbro is nothing to them, let alone how WotC is doing things.

AT&T on the other hand, dwarfs Disney, it’s more than twice as large and WarnerMedia owns the rights to a library of movies and TV shows that is even larger than Disney’s even with them owning ABC.As a streaming service, once they ramp up, WB can easily compete with Disney, especially if they leverage HBO and Cinemax.

If WB can compete, then we’re into demographics, and what do 18-49 year olds expect from a streaming service and what it takes in 2020 to turn IP into a lifestyle brand. Simply licensing IP is so 20th century.

I agree, it’s a miniscule chance, but not out of the realm of possibility.

lol, haven't caught up on the thread yet, huh?

I did, but since those posts were after yours, and I responded to yours before continuing the thread, so I didn't see those comments until after.

For what it's worth, DC Universe is worth the $75 per year or $8 per month IMO. You have access to several decades of DC comic books and graphic novels, in addition to various DC Comics related television shows and movies.

I really hope this new show means that WarnerMedia will either reprint DC Heroes Third Edition, or come out with a fourth edition.

Out of curiosity, which is the best edition of DC Heroes?

Out of curiosity, which is the best edition of DC Heroes?

It depends on who you talk to. There are fans of all editions. Even Blood of Heroes has its fans. I personally think 3e has the best rules. The best package is 2e, no question. It may be the best boxed set of any RPG I’ve ever seen. I own three of them, I love it that much.

I hate everything

Wait until you find out what happens in May and June.

Wally West finds the Mobius Chair. However, the Mobius Chair has been infused with the power of Dr. Manhattan! So not only does Wally West now have infinite knowledge from the Mobius Chair, but he has infinite power courtesy of Dr. Manhattan. Wally West becomes the new Dr. Manhattan. He sets out to use this newly gained infinite knowledge and power to reshape the DC multiverse, creating the DC Universe's 5G.

Anyway, it should be noted that they've said they'll be running multiple games on the show. But starting with DC makes a whole lot of sense.

Wait until you find out what happens in May and June.

Wally West finds the Mobius Chair. However, the Mobius Chair has been infused with the power of Dr. Manhattan! So not only does Wally West now have infinite knowledge from the Mobius Chair, but he has infinite power courtesy of Dr. Manhattan. Wally West becomes the new Dr. Manhattan. He sets out to use this newly gained infinite knowledge and power to reshape the DC multiverse, creating the DC Universe's 5G.
Please tell me you're joking. Please.

How many reboots have they done in the last 10 years now? 2 or 3?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back