[DCC] Purple Planet!

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
2,940
Fortitude roll = 12

Although the thinning are had yet to adversely affect her, Kara was growing somewhat impatient.

"Guys, sometime today, perhaps? No pressure, you understand..."
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
"Mind you Dwarf, I'd not touch that one sitting on the throne, but I'm for heading back upstairs. It seems all is safe but this damnable thin air."
Torren heads back up to the main chamber and then to the upper door to see if there's been any advancement in the status quo.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Gazadhim stands alone at the threshold of the domed room, at least for the moment. He notices that the silver threads seem to be flickering, and the green light at the heart of the crystal appears to be fading.

Upstairs, Ricky grouses "I'm with Kara; I was hoping to die a bit more gloriously."
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
"Yea, yea, I'm tryin'. Anyone else wanna give it a go, jump in at any time. I've been hesitant to fiddle with the middle as that is the sort of place that fire and poison gas might come from. But time is of the essence so here goes. Is that 8 buttons for 8 panels plus a central button?"

Steevo looks at the middle. Are those buttons? Is the central thing a button or a dial? While standing in front of panels 5 and 6, Steevo hits the botton closest to panel 2. If nothing happens, he then hits the button for panel 1, then the central button.

If the middle thing is a button, my hunch is that it serves as an activator/reset so it might need the right combo/order so I'm gonna try hitting patterns of buttons and then the center. Starting with 2,1, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3.
then 21436587
then 65432187
then65872143
 
Last edited:

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Steevo looks at the middle. Are those buttons? Is the central thing a button or a dial? While standing in front of panels 5 and 6, Steevo hits the botton closest to panel 2. If nothing happens, he then hits the button for panel 1, then the central button.
None of these parts of the design yield to pressure like the wedges did.
I'm gonna try hitting patterns of buttons and then the center. Starting with 2, 1, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3...
When you hit the 4th section (7th in the first sequence), the entire panel vibrates and hums, and then it grinds slowly inwards, and then to the side. Breathable air with an unfamiliar scent, acrid and tinged with metal, reaches your nostrils.

OOC: This is what is seen by those near the door.

The next impression you get is of a crimson-tinged hellscape lit by a blood-red sun. A platform of dull grey metal just beyond the door stands near the top of a steep pyramid of pitted black stone. At the foot of the pyramid, hundreds of feet below, is a cairn of stones topped by a ragged banner. Surrounding the pyramid for miles is a sea of violet dunes.

To the far west, the land turns to rough hills and then snow-peaked mountains. To the east is a sickly-colored forest. Over the distant southern horizon are faint trails of smoke, while the pyramid obstructs your view of the north.

Suddenly, as you catch your breath, a savage cry can be heard from the south. Emerging from the dunes, two mobs of yellow-skinned primitive humanoids with spear and ax charge towards the banner at the base of the pyramid with a ferocious roar.

vista atop pyramid.png
 
Last edited:

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,491
Reaction score
9,345
Seeing the door open I move towards it to see what is beyond.
 

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
485
Reaction score
813
Malthemundo moves back towards the stairs before Gazadhim starts fiddling with the crystal.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
Steevo shrugs, "Ta-Da?" He obviously still doesn't know how the door works but steps through to fresh air.

Looking down at the major scenery change, Steevo whispers, "Ricky, I think we're in Kansas, now."

Having heard only vague stories of another wild plane with rare contact to their world, Steevo has no better theory.

Steevo watches the battle with confused curiosity. "Should we avoid local entanglements and move away from the battle or try to gain a local ally by helping one of the sides?"
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
Torren reaches the platform to gaze at the valley below.
"Well, whatever we do, my diminutive acquaintance, I hope we make the right choice."
Torren moves quickly to where Gazadhim stands.
"Ha Gazadhim Dieg skjekar er enlag samtisom fraing batter de ikkang! (Your beard grows longer here, while enemies batter the gate) Your battle mind has more use above. There's a valley below us on this strange world filled with warriors!"
Torren heads back upstairs not waiting for Gazadhim.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Wheatstraw moves forward to take in the unexpected view.
"Ricky, I think we're in Kansas, now."
"It's Reychall, and I have to admit, for once I'm quite nonplussed," he replies.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
Gazadhim turns to look at Malthemundo as he leaves and then to Torren when he approaches. The gem calls to him, but he decides against it and heads back upstairs.
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
"Wheatstraw, Conrad, I hope your weapons are drawn. We might need your skills, and very soon," says Torren as he settles his shield, warming to its weight on his arm and the grip of the Liegesword in his other fist.
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
"It stands to reason if we can see them, they can see us.

"We can move out of site and hope they haven't noticed us yet, or we can join a side and hope for the best, or wait for them to come to us.

"This place is not natural and I'd like to return whence I came," says Torren to nobody in particular.

And then under his breath,

"Why these fits of logic plague me I'll never understand..."
 

Simon Hogwood

Puritan Bearbearian
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
485
Reaction score
813
Mathemundo comes to the top of the stairs and joins the rest of the Order at the newly opened door.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
"Hey, someone keep an ear open in case opening this door woke up anything inside. It would be dreadful if an ancient terror snuck up behind us while we were sight seeing."

Without descending closer, Steevo tries to observe the battle to make sense of the parties involved. Is anyone using magic? Is one side better equipped than the other? Is one side winning? Do one or both sides appear especially vicious, denigrating the dead, practicing cannibalism, using demon or undead allies, or other such notable acts?
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Is anyone using magic?
Steeveo sees no obvious signs, but he knows well that not all magic is obvious.
Is one side better equipped than the other? Is one side winning?
There don't seem to be two separate "sides." The charge of the mobs should have them converging at the foot of the pyramid. They emerged close together and do not mind or guard against each other.

Suddenly, sand erupts from the dunes surrounding the cairn! Figures clamber out of previously-concealed pits, indistinguishable from the others, but they stream towards the charging mobs with howls of rage.

It appears that they will clash in less than a minute.
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,113
Reaction score
8,697
Conrad hears his name and heads quickly to see what the situation is.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
Gazadhim looks out at the approaching battle.

"Let's not do anything. Shall we just watch the ones from the pits fight it out with them. No need to involve ourselves"
 

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Joined
Aug 16, 2017
Messages
6,113
Reaction score
8,697
"I just got here. Who looks strongest?" Conrad asks the watching members.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
Steevo nods. "Yea, let's not do anything hasty. We need to collect info on all groups from a safe distance."
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
From what I see, the first group charged the cairn with the flag atop to entice the hidden ones to come forth. Or perhaps the plan is to draw the first group and attack by surprise.

However, I am only speculating at the moment, and no nothing of warfare. I could be entirely wrong at this point.

Perhaps we are witness to a strange mating ritual? Much like birds flitting about just before they copulate...hmm not very different from gnomes I suppose, but then again, us haughty elves know little of such small creatures...
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
As you watch, the two warbands collide into a swirling chaos. The attackers overrun the first few defenders as though they were not there. The attackers carry their own standard in a throng behind the front line.

Altogether, you'd estimate about two-score warriors on each side, though a handful have already fallen. Cries of rage and pain rise from the din.
 
Last edited:

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
"Hard to watch the brutality of it I have to admit...hopefully it'll be over soon" Gazadhim says shaking his head at the poor souls.

He looks up at the Sun and then the plains beyond.

"We're royally lost. Let's hope the victors are few enough in number that they don't consider attacking us and we can ask them some questions"
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,491
Reaction score
9,345
'Lords,' mutters Wheatstraw as he run his hand across his face in mild exasperation. 'If they haven't seen us perhaps it be best we retreat until the battle is won by one or the other?'
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
The skirmish continues to rage. Dust rises from the tumult of combat as the familiar sights and sounds continue. It's hard to make much sense of who is winning at the moment; the momentum of the attackers seems to have ground to a halt, and warriors are dying.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
OOC: I'm presuming that the party has decided firmly to stay quiet on the sidelines.

The grisly battle grinds onwards, warriors falling on both sides, until the defenders appear to have been whittled down to a third of their starting numbers. Their spirit breaks all at once, and they scatter from the blood-soaked dunes. The attackers do not give chase, but instead raise their arms and let out a chorus of victorious yawps.

One of the larger victors strides to the top of the cairn of rocks. He removes the banner from its peak to the roars of approval from his fellows. You cannot see its insignia from here. He casts it aside and bellows something to the others. One runs forward with the banner of the attackers and together they plant it in the place of its forgotten predecessor. The warband responds ecstatically.

After this brief rite, the warriors turn their attention to the battlefield, picking through the corpses of brothers and foemen. More than a dozen remain.
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
"What shall we do now mates? It seems the battle is over for now. We may need to take advantage of our situation.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
"We'll have a chat, or I shall at least. We're utterly lost, the landscape looks inhospitable and the complex we were just in houses it's own terrors below. Let's hope for the best"

Gazadhim will approach the nearest group of the victors with his hands held high.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
Steevo will follow Gazadhim just enough to keep in him sight and be able to hear what is said.

ooc: maybe 50' behind.
 

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
Torren keeps his weapon and shield at his sides in a neutral position as he follows Gazadhim a few paces behind to give some space and backup if needed.

OOC: Anyone with Comp Lang?
 

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Joined
Sep 23, 2017
Messages
6,491
Reaction score
9,345
Wheatstraw doubts the wisdom of his compatriots' actions, he stays hidden at the top of the structure on his belly and watches what happens below, fearing he may see them get slaughtered.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Gazadhim starts descending the pyramid. The face is quite steep, and despite the weathering, he, Torren and Steevo are forced to tread very carefully and often use their hands. As a result, the effect of Gazadhim's raised arms is frequently spoiled.

Without clear instructions from his master, Ricky is quite content to remain on the platform. "Well," he remarks to Wheatstraw, "they were nice fellows."

OOC: @Séadna make a Personality check

If anyone else intends to accompany the dwarf, let me know before the Personality check and your presence will be retconned in.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
Gazadhim braces himself as he approaches the strangers. He recalls the time him and another rune priest managed to converse with Ykaris the Ancient Dragon for two hours and convinced her not to consume them.

He approaches with a soft smile and hands open and weaponless.

OOC: 20!
 

Tulpa Girl

Still looking for my first TPK.
Joined
Nov 14, 2018
Messages
1,148
Reaction score
2,940
Kara hangs back with Wheatstraw and Ricky. She has her crossbow ready, in case things do not go well for Gazadhim and the others.
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
As you watch below, the warriors have noted your descent, and they mill in confusion. Coming closer, Gazadhim and company are able to get a better look at these people. Although they are humanoid and roughly man-sized, they are like no other humans or demi-humans you have seen. Their bodies are large and yellowish, covered with a patchwork of armor and festooned with tattoos and scars. Atop a barrel chest is a head with animalistic features: a flat and broad skull with a massive jaw full of teeth, and two beady black eyes. They carry a motley of crude weapons ranging from sharpened lengths of metal with improvised handles, spears tipped with massive teeth and stone-headed clubs.

faces #1.png
Faces of the warriors​

As you near the base, they gather to meet you, and you hear them shouting and growling at each other in what sounds like a mockery of language. However, they don't seem to be acting with any hostile intent. In fact, as you reach the bottom of the pyramid, as one, they lower themselves to one knee, raise their weapons above their heads in both hands, and let out a thunderous cheer. One of them rushes forward with something in his hands - when he reaches within a few meters of you, he falls to one knee, bows his head and presents you with the enemy standard, mounted on steel pole with an elaborate metallic base.

banner #1.png
Winner's standard

banner #2.png
Loser's standard​

OOC: You see, this is what I love about role-playing. When I put together a table of possible results, I didn't think you'd actually hit the 20+ category!
 
Last edited:

Umbraldragon

Shadow Dragon
Joined
Sep 21, 2017
Messages
93
Reaction score
87
"Don't screw this up Gaz, they think we're gods or dinner," says Torren under his breath, trying to keep a neutral expression.
 

Séadna

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2018
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4,096
One of them rushes forward with something in his hands - when he reaches within a few meters of you, he falls to one knee, bows his head and presents you with the enemy standard, mounted on steel pole with an elaborate metallic base.
Gazadhim looks at the banner, dumbfounded for a moment. He then raises it high with one hand, nodding approvingly as he does so.

He turns to look at Torren and speaks.

"Do they think they have liberated the pyramid? That we were its owners under siege?"

He turns back to the crowd and says "Praise you all" in Dwarvish, knowing they will not understand it but he has to say something.
 

Stan

Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2018
Messages
646
Reaction score
1,047
Steevo gives a big smile from where he is. He then turns to those still at the top. "Anyone have any magic or anything to understand what they are saying?"
 

Edgewise

Legendary Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2017
Messages
3,620
Reaction score
6,453
Gazadhim looks at the banner, dumbfounded for a moment. He then raises it high with one hand, nodding approvingly as he does so.
Gazadhim is surprised by the balance of the banner; the pole is hollow and made of an extremely light metal but the base is heavier than it looks; an elaborate metal mechanism. The standard pitches awkwardly in your hand.

OOC: @Séadna make an Agility check for Gazadhim with a DC of 8.
He turns back to the crowd and says "Praise you all" in Dwarvish, knowing they will not understand it but he has to say something.
The savage warriors murmur in guttural unison. Then they all stare at the group of you as though waiting for something.
 
Top