De-generation X - Quick game Idea for playing Monstrous entities and 'ting. Any help or insights appreciated!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Rob Necronomicon

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
Hello!

Apologies in advance for the very long post, bad grammar and spelling.

The previous thread about monster’s powers got me thinking about a game I wanted to make some years ago. But it never really went further than just a series of notes.

So, I’d love your thoughts or advice about an RPG where the players play TV or Movie type of monsters (and the sequels of course!). I’m not saying that it’s anything new per se but it’s something that I’ve always wanted to explore, ever since my VtM Sabbat days.
Most of the time when players play some kind of creature they are always trying to seek a path to redemption, struggle internally, or mitigate their previous life of evil by trying to make up for it by doing good deeds. Angel from Buffy is a good example. Nothing wrong with that, but I’m more interested if there was no emotional price to pay.

What if you, as a creature didn’t give a shit but still had to eek out a living (by feeding) among humans. And that sanity was not a problem as they are probably bat-shit insane from the get-go. :smile: Not a game for everyone, I know.
My main influences are 80s horror flicks and mini-series like the Stand or IT. So, I’m really after those type of monster tropes. Of course in the game you’d be playing lesser entities to start with.

Some entities wouldn’t be all that interesting. I mean, Jason Voorhees might get a bit boring after the first hour. He’s not all that multi-faceted as a character. But something like IT could be fun to roleplaying while it interacts and plays with its human prey.
Most of us don’t really know what a monster is (I hope) or how one would think. So how do we play one? Admittedly some would be easier to play than others - playing something Lovecraftian would near downright impossible, but David from the lost boys would be a lot easier.
The way I see it the creature would have ‘goals’. This could be worked out randomly (table our style), with the GM or something that the player comes up with.
This focuses the monsters objectives and is a way to create an arc for the character as well as gaining XPs. Which in a way circumvents the need to be able to play a creature’s personality that is mostly unknowable. So you just get on with the task at hand.

An example might be to infect and take over a town like Kurt Barlow in Salems Lot. If you played Simon from Session 9 you might just want to drive people insane who came to clean the asbestos from the Sanitarium. Boon from Nightbreed’s goal(s) could start at finding out what had happened to him and why he is being drawn to Median. Then revenge on Decker and finally leading his people to a new safe haven.

Obviously goals can be split up into milestones and don’t have to be all that world spanning. They could be as small as a neighbourhood or a holiday camp!
Entities need powers. So, I was going to compile about 40(ish) powers that I’ve seen from horror movies ranging from Level 1 to Level 3. I’d like these to reflect the flavour of the genre so they would not be too similar to a Supers game. I’d also encourage GMs and Players to come up with their own stuff too. So one is not limited by my ideas.

Something like ‘elongate’ (I’ll think of a better name)… At level One could stretch your limbs. Think along the likes of Freddie Krueger or Tooms from the X-Files.
'Homunculus' could be a budding off part or weaker version of the PCs creature form. AKA - The critters from Cronenbergs ‘the Brood’.

These powers would definitely have some squick factor to them in order to capture the right vibe for the horror.

The obvious enemies would be the humans that are in the direct path of the entity and how they are tied to it’s goals. Most are just mooks and pose little threat to an entity, but when they gather in numbers, and are ready and know the entities weakness things start to get more interesting.
However you could always get well trained and well armed groups whether they are soldiers, SWAT or even vatical appointed hunters.

If you had a more open game you could also find yourself in competition with other creatures.

Entities also would have some form of ‘compulsion’. This may or may not be tied to their feeding and in turn their goals. Which will cause them to be noticed or even force them into action at times even when it could be to their detriment.

Other ways the PC’s entities could be noticed would be pro hunters who know what to look for. But I was thinking of having a rumours mechanic (kinda’ ripped off the Dracula board game). Wherever the entity goes it leaves rumours a trail if you will. These start to build up and the longer it stays in the one area the rumours start to spiral outwards - thus drawing unwanted attention.

Like VtM vampires - the creature’s powers have an essence pool that they spend every time they use their powers. Even their existence causes them to lose an essence point each night. Therefore, they are going to have to feed whether they like it or not. When their essence slips too low the creatures will temporarily go on a killing spree, lose clarity of thought and their human visage (if they have one) disappears.

All monsters have some form of weaknesses or if they don’t they can usually be bumped off by conventional weapons (like American Werewolf in London).
These limitations could be bought for gaining extra powers or stats. Which leaves even powerful monsters vulnerable with the right knowledge.

Mechanics wise I’m thinking something pretty light but flavourful. My maths is terrible so it will have to be something without too much adding. :smile: I’m thinking of a very simple die pool (but that could change). Any suggestions on that would be great too.
I love OSR games, but I don’t want to get into classes for monsters. I’d really like players and GMs not to be tied to an particular archetype but try and come up with something new and fresh.

There are a few other variants for the game as well I guess. You could play humans running from or hunting a monster. Or play as human cultists that have some form of power or magic, etc.

Anyway, thanks in advance and I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this stuff. :smile:

PS - Credit where credit is due - my main influences RPG stuffs:
VtM Sabbat
Rafael Chandler’s Spite, Dread.
Blood Dark Thirst - Venger Satanis.
Dracula board game
CoC
I’m sure there’s way more!

This reminds me of Soth, which is more of a storygame but a very well designed one where you play evil cultists trying to complete the rituals to summon a dark God.

This reminds me of Soth, which is more of a storygame but a very well designed one where you play evil cultists trying to complete the rituals to summon a dark God.

Thanks for taking the time to have a read mate. :smile:

Also, how the hell have I never heard of Soth?! Instabuy! Thanks for the suggestion... I don't have much experience with story games per se, but this sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

For the game, I'm thinking of I actually forgot to mention that the obligatory feeding that these entities will have to do could be anything. So, it doesn't necessarily mean that they have to 'consume' a human. But they would have to do something to sustain themselves and get their power renewed. So, it could mean feeding off fear, misery or chaos - basically anything you've seen in a horror movie.

I don't know if its quite what you are looking for, but Horrors from Earthdawn might be a good source of inspiration and give some insights into how a monster might work. I don't know if you are familiar with them? You mentioned some Stephen King monsters, and that reminds me of a Horror called Giftbringer, which is very like the creature from the Needful Things novel... Horrors come in all forms. Physical, astral, dual natured. Some crave flesh, but the most insidious feed from the fear and torment they cause.

I don't know if its quite what you are looking for, but Horrors from Earthdawn might be a good source of inspiration and give some insights into how a monster might work. I don't know if you are familiar with them? You mentioned some Stephen King monsters, and that reminds me of a Horror called Giftbringer, which is very like the creature from the Needful Things novel... Horrors come in all forms. Physical, astral, dual natured. Some crave flesh, but the most insidious feed from the fear and torment they cause.

Thanks mate... I've actually never played ED, to be honest, but I've heard good things about it. So, I'll definitely look into the Horrors from the setting. Do you know if there is a specific sourcebook available? Or are they just part of the main RPG book?

Gift Bringer sounds exactly the type of entity that I'd love to see created and played in the setting. I totally dig the idea of feeding being way more than just human flesh or something. It sounds a bit like the Wishmaster as well. Make a wish and pay the ultimate price! ;)

If you could get your hand on the Horrors sourcebook. There are Horrors and powers in the gm rule books. Any edition of the game. But the Horrors sourcebook is an in depth look at some of the most insideous of them. Chantrel's Horror reminds me of Hellraiser, Giftbringer of Stephen King, and there are plenty of others creepier and more powerful.

If you could get your hand on the Horrors sourcebook. There are Horrors and powers in the gm rule books. Any edition of the game. But the Horrors sourcebook is an in depth look at some of the most insideous of them. Chantrel's Horror reminds me of Hellraiser, Giftbringer of Stephen King, and there are plenty of others creepier and more powerful.

Picked it up on Drivethru! Thanks again.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back