Deep Ones (5e)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I am running The Mystery at Port Greely on Sunday and looking for feedback on the Deep Ones and Deep One Priest I converted for the adventure.

The Deep Ones are basically the Sea Spawn from Volo's tweaked a bit to match my vision of Deep Ones. I used the Kraken Priest from Volo's as a base for the Deep One Priest; I built the priest as an infiltrator and leader but it feels weak for a CR 5. Breath of the Deep is essentially a reskinned witch bolt and nothing special.

Deep One
AC 12 HP 32 (5d8+10) Spd 20', swim 40'
STR +2, DEX-1, CON +2
Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +1
Damage Resistances. Cold
Senses. darkvision 60', passive Perception 12
Languages. Common, Deep Speech
Challenge. 1 (200xp)
Amphibious. Can breathe air and water.
Deep Dweller. Has advantage on Stealth checks while underwater and can’t be harmed by water pressure.
Multiattack. Three unarmed strikes or two weapon strikes
Actions:
  • Unarmed strike (claw and bite) +4/1d4+2
  • Weapon (spear or trident) +4/1d8+2 Range 20/60

Deep One Priest
AC 13 HP 75 (10d8+30) Spd 20', swim 40'
STR +2 CON +3 WIS +2 CHA +3
Skills: Perception +2, Stealth +2
Damage Resistances. Cold, bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses. darkvision 60', passive Perception 12
Languages. Common, Deep Speech
Challenge. 5 (1,800xp)
Amphibious. Can breathe air and water.
Deep Dweller. Has advantage on Stealth checks while underwater and can’t be harmed by water pressure.
Actions:
  • Shrivel. Melee spell attack: +5/5d10 necrotic damage
  • Visions of R'lyeh. (recharges after a Rest) The priest reveals a vision of dread R'lyeh, a nightmare metropolis of alien architecture and cyclopean vaults. Creatures of the priest's choice within 300' must succeed on a DC 14 Charisma saving throw or be frightened for 1 minute. A frightened target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.
Spellcasting. The deep one priest is a 5th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 13, +5 to hit with spell attacks). The deep one priest has the following cleric spells prepared:

• Cantrips (at will): command, eldritch blast, guidance, thaumaturgy

• 1st level (4 slots): charm person, create/destroy water, disguise self, fog cloud

• 2nd level (3 slots): breath of the deep, darkness, suggestion

• 3rd level (2 slots): dispel magic, tidal wave, tongues

Breath of the Deep
2nd level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute
Classes: Druid, Shaman, Priest
You fill your target's lungs with sea water, drowning them. Target a creature within range; they must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or take 2d12 damage as their lungs fill with water. On your turn, you can use your action to deal an additional 2d12 damage to the target so long as it is within range. Creatures that don't breath air are immune to this damage.

At Higher Levels: The initial damage increases by 1d12 for each slot level above 2nd.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back