Diplomacy. Come on you know you want your friendship with me to end.

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Whenever you're ready the password is rpgpub

You guys just need to stop playing it wrong. Geez

God I want to kill you all!

I see the truth, a Russia that isn't the first nation defeated scares everyone so much, you all turn on them as one, I'm disappointed :ooh:

The Russian curse has been broken, can they out last at least two other nations in the next game?

I was Italy. While I was eliminated, I think I did an okay job in the role as I got to switch sides a couple of times.

I originally allied with Russia against Austria. Austria then offered me an alliance as well against Turkey. I said I wanted to get Greece, but they weren't willing to let me get it. Then Turkey offered me an alliance against Austria. Austria was urging me to move my fleets east to attack Turkey. I agreed, but was really planning on using my fleets in the Ionian and Aegean to take Greece from Austria with Turkish support, while Russia began their attack on Austria from the north. Either through error or subterfuge, Turkey didn't come through with the support, so the attack failed and I lost my opening.

With no easy path into Austria left, I made peace with Austria and looked west to France, which was busy fighting England. I attacked France, but was exactly one turn too late to profit from their distraction. My efforts to get Germany to attack them went nowhere, and it was largely a slow collapse from there.

I was Italy. While I was eliminated, I think I did an okay job in the role as I got to switch sides a couple of times.

I originally allied with Russia against Austria. Austria then offered me an alliance as well against Turkey. I said I wanted to get Greece, but they weren't willing to let me get it. Then Turkey offered me an alliance against Austria. Austria was urging me to move my fleets east to attack Turkey. I agreed, but was really planning on using my fleets in the Ionian and Aegean to take Greece from Austria with Turkish support, while Russia began their attack on Austria from the north. Either through error or subterfuge, Turkey didn't come through with the support, so the attack failed and I lost my opening.

With no easy path into Austria left, I made peace with Austria and looked west to France, which was busy fighting England. I attacked France, but was exactly one turn too late to profit from their distraction. My efforts to get Germany to attack them went nowhere, and it was largely a slow collapse from there.
I was Austria. I couldn't let Italy have Greece in part because it would have Italy moving into the area I had for expansion. Also if Italy is moving east and I'm moving east it meant no pressure on France which is a huge problem.

I'm assuming England is Dumarest Dumarest. England was perceived as questionably trustworthy early on.
The failed early alliance with Italy really hampered me.
Russia was unreliable. I tried to coordinate an attack against Turkey with him and it didn't materialize. I had one turn where ever border but Germany attacked me while saying they were going to work with me to take something else.
Attacking Germany was my biggest mistake. They had never betrayed me. In a normal game I Germany was at the point I would almost expect it to begin it's assault on me. Unbeknownst to me Germany had Tie as an endgame plan. I could have gone along with that but hadn't even thought of it as an option before he mentioned it. It adds a new element to the game.

Turkey just got the short end of the stick for me. I couldn't afford to attack either Germany or Italy early on. There seemed to be a desire to not immediately kill Russia do to the previous games l which I tried to honor early on. That just left Turkey and the Balkans for early expansion.

As an observation on play styles, the game where I played things the most honestly, keeping every transactional agreement, was the one where I played England and came in a very close second place. This was the game were where I most devious and underhanded in the early game, and while I had a lot of fun, I didn't actually accomplish much.

I have mixed feelings about the anonymity element. I like that it limits people forming the same alliances every game or acting out vendettas based on the previous game. That said, there is so much less information to use in making decisions in an online game. When playing it live as a board game, even when playing against people I don't know, I can look them in the eye to try and gauge if I can trust them. It's a lot easier to lie in a PM, especially when you don't know who the player is.

Still, it is fun figuring it out over the course of the game. By the time I formed my second and lasting alliance with Austria, I was pretty sure that Bunch Bunch was the player.

On the whole, I think anonymity is the best way to go.

As an observation on play styles, the game where I played things the most honestly, keeping every transactional agreement, was the one where I played England and came in a very close second place. This was the game were where I most devious and underhanded in the early game, and while I had a lot of fun, I didn't actually accomplish much.

I have mixed feelings about the anonymity element. I like that it limits people forming the same alliances every game or acting out vendettas based on the previous game. That said, there is so much less information to use in making decisions in an online game. When playing it live as a board game, even when playing against people I don't know, I can look them in the eye to try and gauge if I can trust them. It's a lot easier to lie in a PM, especially when you don't know who the player is.

Still, it is fun figuring it out over the course of the game. By the time I formed my second and lasting alliance with Austria, I was pretty sure that Bunch Bunch was the player.

On the whole, I think anonymity is the best way to go.
I have tried playing honestly (mostly) each time. This was the time I was most distrustful and least reliable. It wasn't a case of intentional dishonesty in most cases though. In Turkey and Germany both times I backstabbed them immediately after expressing no interest in doing so. Part of it was I was doing a poor job of predicting where builds would happen which happened after my statements. I ended up in positions where I could keep my word and lose or break it and maybe not lose.

If Germany and France didn't have such a strong alliance that accepted a tie as an option I think my choices would stand.

The agreement to accept a tie to me has changed this game as much as the sudden realization that passing is an option in American football. It's going to make calculations much harder going forward.

I had a good chuckle when everyone I spoke to had nothing good to say about England, and that England were stirring the pot!

I've been busy pretty much since last week and missed most everything. Who ended up being who? And when does the next game start?

I had a good chuckle when everyone I spoke to had nothing good to say about England, and that England were stirring the pot!
You have to stir the pot if you want to spread the flavor!

England - Dumarest
Italy - Baulderstone
Austria - Bunch
Turkey - Voros
Russia - Kilted Rob
France - ?Stan?
Germany - ?Smith?

New game
Password is RPGPub.

Invite code doesn't seem to work for me

In case you haven't seen it yet:

"Game processing has been paused and user registration has been disabled while a problem is resolved.

Dear members, a large update was done that broke functionality, including the forum. We are aware. We will be adding 2 days to all games so you do not need to worry about your games until 48 hours after now (10:30am Eastern US Time). Our apologies for the disruption!

The last process time was over 12 minutes ago (at 07:15 AM); the server is not processing games until the cause is found and games are given extra time."

I suggest we take a break or find some new players after this game. I sense not everyone is still having as much fun they're just too polite to drop out and leave others hanging.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back