Discounts and deals on RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I was skimming the list last night, and there are some 5E products in the bundle. There was a couple for Mork Borg as well that I saw. Most are not though. I grabbed it to get this Filipino fantasy rpg called Gunbat Banwa. FIST is in the bundle, which is an 80's set game where you play mercs who gained powers through experiments, and fight conspiracies, etc. I'm prepping to run that one soon.

The bigger/more interesting ones for me are...

Big, but not one I plan on playing: Wanderhome - Wanderhome is a pastoral fantasy role-playing game about traveling animal-folk, the world they inhabit, and the way the seasons change. It is a game filled with grassy fields, mossy shrines, herds of chubby bumblebees, opossums in sundresses, salamanders with suspenders, starry night skies, and the most beautiful sunsets you can imagine.

I already owned this but it's appealing: FIST - FIST is a tabletop roleplaying game for one referee and two to six players. It draws heavily from Chris P. Wolf and Olivia Gulin's Offworlders and John Harper's World of Dungeons, as well as being inspired by Metal Gear Solid, The A-Team, and Doom Patrol. In the game, you belong to a legendary rogue mercenary unit called FIST. You are a soldier of fortune who doesn’t fit into modern society. You are one of the little guys, caught up in the death and destruction of pointless proxy wars and oppressive establishments. You may also be someone who can turn into a ghost or control bees with your mind. The paranormal secrets of the Cold War are your bread and butter, and you fight for your life to make ends meet alongside others like you.

These ones I didn't have before but look interesting:

Gubat Banwa - Gubat Banwa is a Southeast Asian fantasy martial arts Role-Playing Game, inspired by the refulgent cultures of Southeast Asia. Raise your spears, KADUNGGANAN, you elite warrior-braves and asura-knights who travel The Sword Isles to prove their conviction and dictate the fate of the world. Revel in larger-than-life war drama like in Asian Dramas, ballistic tactical martial arts grid gameplay in the vein of Lancer or Final Fantasy Tactics, and find glory beyond heaven. Wield the Thunderbolt of Liberation! Rejoice! In the Glory of Combat!

Maharlika - MAHARLIKA RPG is a technomystic Science Fantasy mecha RPG inspired by Filipino Mythology, centered around Mekanized Weapons or Meka, and their pilots: the eponymous Maharlika.

Bump in the Dark - Thrilling, gritty, and utterly human, Bump in the Dark is a tabletop roleplaying game about a group of people who’ve dedicated their lives to hunting and dealing with monsters. There are gruesome attacks, tense investigations, nasty cryptids, nefarious factions, powerful demons, action-packed showdowns, and regular folk caught in the middle.

Neon Nights 1st Edition - Neon Nights is a cyberpunk/dystopian tabletop RPG set on Earth after a nuclear war devastated the entire planet. After hundreds of years of thousands of people roaming the desolate, irradiated Great Wastes, megacities emerged from the dust of deserts. Where there was once crumbling roads and dancing dust devils now stand skyscrapers towering over hundreds of thousands of roaming pedestrians walking the streets of Jeriko City, located on the East Coast of the once powerful United States of America.

Aethernet - Smash your brain into a Cyberhellscape in Æthernet, a rules-light Occultech Horror Science-Fantasy game based off of Sledgehammer by gayhalforc.

Others I found interesting so downloaded:

Wyrd of Stromgard (Dungeon World)
The Enduring (Masks)
The Gambler (Blades in the Dark)
The Looper (Beam Saber)
Penumbra (Trophy)
Rebellion: Occupied Earth (Caltrop System)
The Crownless (Dark Souls-like)
Apotheosis: The Dark Lord (Dark Souls-like)
We Deal in Lead (Cairn in the Weird West)
Magi (Lumen System)
No Amount of Armor
Tales from the Front (Beam Saber)

Haven't had a chance to go through all of them.

I bought it. There were a few 5e adventures that looked good. FIST looked interesting to me. There's a few generic supplements. $5 seemed like a good deal for the parts I'm using.

I'm picking up the itch.io charity bundle as well. Personal experience has shown me that these big itch.io charity bundles tend to pay off in the long run. What happens is I'll pick up the bundle but am too lazy to review each and every file. Months or years later I'll hear about a cool indie game, do a quick search and bam! I happen to already own it on itch.io. This literally just happened to me a few days ago with The Wretched which I purchased as part of a $5 bundle a couple years ago.

There’s actually adventures in there? It looks like 99% Solo/Journaling/One Page Systems/GMless/Experimental/Performance Art stuff.

Some of these bundles are almost too big.

There’s actually adventures in there? It looks like 99% Solo/Journaling/One Page Systems/GMless/Experimental/Performance Art stuff.

Some of these bundles are almost too big.
Yes. I took find the solo/GMless/highly specialized cat pirate RPGs less useful. There are 5e adventures of varying quality. The one about a tomb with a Dyson logos map looks particularly interesting to me. FIST looks interesting to me. There's a few OSR/generic supplements for gods, NPCs, etc in the bunch. Per usual probably 95% useless to me stuff but 5% of 500 items is still not horrible.

One note. All the online character sheets are available free from the author if that's the only thing you find useful.

Yes. I took find the solo/GMless/highly specialized cat pirate RPGs less useful. There are 5e adventures of varying quality. The one about a tomb with a Dyson logos map looks particularly interesting to me. FIST looks interesting to me. There's a few OSR/generic supplements for gods, NPCs, etc in the bunch. Per usual probably 95% useless to me stuff but 5% of 500 items is still not horrible.

One note. All the online character sheets are available free from the author if that's the only thing you find useful.
I forgot d20 monopoly is worth a buck if only to make a mind numbing game a combat game.

This looks incredible: Campaign Cartographer Lifetime license pack:

Has anyone used this software? Is there a steep learning curve?

EDIT: update: this isn't as good as it seems. You'd need to purchase many other tools to use most of these assets if you want to do things like dungeons, cosmos, etc... It's a hook to force you spend more on their website.

Last edited:

I recall messing with an earlier version long ago. There was a pretty steep learning curve at the time, though this bundle is tempting.

I recall messing with an earlier version long ago. There was a pretty steep learning curve at the time, though this bundle is tempting.
It looks generous, but when I look at their website, individual packs sell for 40$. Large bundles are in the 100s.

I feel that something is off, that this isn't quite the deal it appears. It looks like the equivalent is something like 400$. This must be a scaled down, feature-reduced version.

EDIT: I was right! To use many of these effectively you need to purchase add-on software:

- Dungeon Designer
- City Designer
- Cosmographer
- and more!

So most of those asset packs can be used with whatever, but to REALLY use them properly, you'd have to buy sevel hundred dollars worth of extra apps.

It's a bit of a scam, actually.

Last edited:
While not strictly an RPG, Tabletop Simulator and related DLC content are on sale on Steam.

I consider Tabletop Simulator a must-buy for anyone who enjoys board games with friends. Even at full price, it will pay for itself many times over with the sheer amount of use you can get out of it.

People have told me Tabletop Simulator works great for RPGs as well but I have not had the opportunity to see for myself.

I consider Tabletop Simulator a must-buy for anyone who enjoys board games with friends. Even at full price, it will pay for itself many times over with the sheer amount of use you can get out of it.

People have told me Tabletop Simulator works great for RPGs as well but I have not had the opportunity to see for myself.

From the player side I can confirm that it works well for TTRPGs. We used it for Edge of the Empire, and two complaints about that game are the special dice and "fiddly bits" (tokens). The table supported everything perfectly.

Just be sure to disable table flips...

From the player side I can confirm that it works well for TTRPGs. We used it for Edge of the Empire, and two complaints about that game are the special dice and "fiddly bits" (tokens). The table supported everything perfectly.

Just be sure to disable table flips...
Worst friggin idea ever. Worse than the blink tag.

EDIT: update: this isn't as good as it seems. You'd need to purchase many other tools to use most of these assets if you want to do things like dungeons, cosmos, etc... It's a hook to force you spend more on their website.
I’ve used Campaign Cartographer since the early 2000s. It was a good option early on, especially if you didn’t have access (or skill) to create stuff in Photoshop or Illustrator.

These days, while I do have the current CC3+ software, I’m finding that it’s still too fiddly, and still has annoying bugs (especially noticeable when I’m running on a top-tier desktop). There are so many good options now, depending on what you want to do.

I’ve reached the point where I use a selection of the assets (beds, chairs and so forth) but actually use Illustrator and Photoshop to make my maps for stuff I publish.

If you’re just using it for personal gaming, then I’d use a free option or perhaps something like Dungeondraft (which has a quick learning curve, looks decent, has a bunch of additional art assets you can get for free and/or cheaply, and only costs $20).

As someone who has sunk an embarassing amount of money into mapping software and services I sheepishly admit that my favorite mapping software nowadays are cheap and simple. Hexkit is $15 and Dungeon Scrawl is free.
Have you tried Dungeondraft? Great for smaller scale maps like buildings and dungeons.

Other World Mapper is good for larger scale maps.

I got the thing for FIST, but fuck, I wish Itch.io let you flush stuff out of your account like DTRPG does.

For those of you with a 3d printer HumbleBundle is running a deal with a ton of terrain and fair amount of miniatures

I don't think you need anything but CC3+ to use them. The other software is just custom tailored to that type of content. And Cosmographer and Fractal Terrain is included at the higher levels.

I got a reply from the Cartography folks:

“Getting the associated add-ons is certainly helpful in using the assets from the Humble Bundle, but not required. They are almost always self-contained styles that work on their own, because CC3+ doe shave [sic] basic city and dungeon functionality. Adding CD3 does give your more options and tools of course.”

So you CAN use that stuff, but it would be more useful if you got the add-ons.

So has DriveThru RPG stopped doing its 'deal of the day' promotion? I used to get emails announcing them but don't think I have in some time, and when I went to the site today I could not find the link for said deal (which used to be at the top right).

Last edited:
I got a reply from the Cartography folks:

“Getting the associated add-ons is certainly helpful in using the assets from the Humble Bundle, but not required. They are almost always self-contained styles that work on their own, because CC3+ doe shave [sic] basic city and dungeon functionality. Adding CD3 does give your more options and tools of course.”

So you CAN use that stuff, but it would be more useful if you got the add-ons.
Yeah, that's what I was saying above.

So has DriveThru RPG stopped doing its 'deal of the day' promotion? I used to get emails announcing them but don't think I have in some time, and when I went to the site today I could not find the link for said deal (which used to be at the top right).

Very sorry for the delay.

It seems that if a publisher's titles are in a site-wide sale, they aren't eligible to be a Deal of the Day. Since the GM's Day sale is so big, that depletes the queue for DotDs. The GM's Day sale and most of the other sales are now over, so you will start getting DotD emails today or tomorrow.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back