Discounts and deals on RPGs

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Have you got Cavaliers of Mars to the table? The setting really interests me but I’m not sure how much I’d like the system.
I have not, yet. Like you, I was attracted by the setting conceit: 'Mars has canals and swords, so it's Renaissance Venice, among other things.' The system looks interestingly different, but I'm not sure how well it would work at the table. I might end up just lifting setting material and using another system.

I have not, yet. Like you, I was attracted by the setting conceit: 'Mars has canals and swords, so it's Renaissance Venice, among other things.' The system looks interestingly different, but I'm not sure how well it would work at the table. I might end up just lifting setting material and using another system.

Definitely! I was thinking maybe Warriors of the Red Planet. I don’t think any of my groups are familiar with Burroughs-themed worlds, could be a fresh setting.

Definitely! I was thinking maybe Warriors of the Red Planet. I don’t think any of my groups are familiar with Burroughs-themed worlds, could be a fresh setting.
That could be an interesting match, though aside from having Red Martians, stand-ins for Green Martians, atmosphere plants, and some flying ships, Cavaliers of Mars seems pretty far from Burroughs.

Given the swashbuckling aspect, I was wondering about an adaptation to Honor + Intrigue, or maybe Renaissance (or another of the BRP family).

Reading through the basic mechanics for Cavaliers of Mars again, I have no idea how one could calculate the odds of anything, so I wouldn't worry about emulating the system in that way.

Reading through the basic mechanics for Cavaliers of Mars again, I have no idea how one could calculate the odds of anything, so I wouldn't worry about emulating the system in that way.
...what basic mechanics can be so obscure:shock:?

25% off MSPE stuff at Flying Buffalo thru June 19

That could be an interesting match, though aside from having Red Martians, stand-ins for Green Martians, atmosphere plants, and some flying ships, Cavaliers of Mars seems pretty far from Burroughs.

Given the swashbuckling aspect, I was wondering about an adaptation to Honor + Intrigue, or maybe Renaissance (or another of the BRP family).

Ah, fair enough, I haven’t actually read the book and I just assumed it would be more Barsoom given the setting.

However, H+I for a Martian swashbuckling-renaissance Venice sounds like it would make for a wonderful game!

amazon discount round-up for Precis Intermedia:

The Dwarven Glory only $6.63 (regularly $9.95)
Amazon product

High Valor only $16.04 (regularly $32.95)
Amazon product

City in the Mirage: An Exiled in Eris Adventure only $8.49 (regularly $12.95)
Amazon product

Blade of the Serpent: An Exiled in Eris Adventure only $11.06 (regularly $14.95)
Amazon product

The Intercosm: A Supplement for HardNova 2 only $6.76 (regularly $12.95)
Amazon product

Bloodshadows (Classic Reprint): A World Book for MasterBook only $5.88 (regularly $19.95)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983256055/

MasterBook Companion (Classic Reprint) only $15.92 (regularly $18.95)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0983256039/

As is usual with these discounts, there's no way of knowing when the amazon algorithim will change them, so order now if interested.

...what basic mechanics can be so obscure:shock:?
Well, it's not so much that they are obscure as that they are highly variable, so that you would have to do a large number of calculations to cover all the possibilities.

Leaving aside combat, which is actually much simpler to calculate, the basic system is a die pool. The complicating factors are that:
  1. It's not clear how many dice will be in the player's pool--at least 2 (1 for the Motivations trait, one for the Means trait) and then up to 3 more (for the Origin, Career, and Relationships traits, if they apply), plus possibly 1 from another player.
  2. Each die in the pool can range in size from D4 to D12.
  3. The GM's die pool will be either 2 or 3 dice, but again these may vary in size.
  4. You and the GM roll, keeping only your top 2 dice. Whoever has the higher total wins.
Now, for any combination of dice I could brute-force calculate the odds that the player's total will exceed the GM's total, but there are so many combinations...

More on topic of the thread, Through Sunken Lands by Flatland Games is on sale at Drivethru today for $3.40.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has mentioned the Lights! Camera! Action! sale currently on at Drivethru, which offers a discount on some games that are based on films or TV (or in some cases, really on books). The list isn't very extensive, but it includes some recent things like Dune, Alien, the new version of The One Ring, the Dark Crystal, and some of the 2D20 titles (Conan and John Carter). The discount is generally about 1/3, but for a few older things it's higher--for instance, you can get the Stargate SG-1 game for 60% off (but still $20). I had no idea that license was still out there.

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Lights! Camera! Action! sale currently on at Drivethru, which offers a discount on some games that are based on films or TV (or in some cases, really on books). The list isn't very extensive, but it includes some recent things like Dune, Alien, the new version of The One Ring, the Dark Crystal, and some of the 2D20 titles (Conan and John Carter). The discount is generally about 1/3, but for a few older things it's higher--for instance, you can get the Stargate SG-1 game for 60% off (but still $20). I had no idea that license was still out there.
The Stargate one is surprising since there is a new licensee and a new version

I mentioned it in the Bundle of Holding thread, but Free League Publishing in Sweden is having its annual summer sale on physical product. Started this week.

Some hardback titles have savings of 50%+

From previous experience ordering direct from them, they do international shipping well. Pretty fast, tracked, reasonable prices.

Bunch of Necromancer Games 5e books over at Humble Bundle. Central American cultural themes. $18 for a bunch of PDFs.
Too bad it's still 5e...:shade:

OTOH, I might give a whole 3EU to some of the other bundles there, so thanks for reminding me to check the site:thumbsup:!

Some of us like 5e.
So what do you expect me to reply? "Great for you, I guess?"
I am talking for myself in the above post, though...:thumbsup:

And yes, life would have been much simpler if I liked any version of D&D enough to be able to play it. Alas, simple it ain't, unless we count DCC as a version of D&D (which I do, but some people oppose:shade:).

So what do you expect me to reply? "Great for you, I guess?"
I am talking for myself in the above post, though...:thumbsup:

And yes, life would have been much simpler if I liked any version of D&D enough to be able to play it. Alas, simple it ain't, unless we count DCC as a version of D&D (which I do, but some people oppose:shade:).
The way it's stated, it seems a dig. Good natured, I'd suppose, but sometimes things like that hit the wrong way.

Fantasy Grounds licenses are on sale for 12 days plus some hours. (Countdown on the linked page.) 25% off the single purchase price of either license. A big chunk of other Fantasy Grounds content is also on sale. Check the link, search away.

The way it's stated, it seems a dig. Good natured, I'd suppose, but sometimes things like that hit the wrong way.
Sorry, man, but all I'd say here is that if "system X doesn't work for me" is what you think I'd use as a dig, you haven't seen me actually taking a dig against any system...and/or you take people disliking your favourite system way too personally:thumbsup:!
If you want, I could actually try to summon enough dislike for an actual mild dig against 5e so you could compare...but I'd rather not do that:grin:!

Mind you, I don't actually dislike 5e. In fact, I accepted writing a review for a 5e book, because the concept seemed original. (I am going to submit it to the Pub when it's done).
But "not disliking it" doesn't equate "it works for me" in the least, it just means I have no reasons to hate it:shade:.

Sorry, man, but all I'd say here is that if "system X doesn't work for me" is what you think I'd use as a dig, you haven't seen me actually taking a dig against any system...and/or you take people disliking your favourite system way too personally
That's not what you said... you said "Too bad it's still 5e..", and there's been precedent for this statement being used as such. Again, I'm not even the one that you were replying to, and I have no dogs in this race- just trying to give another perspective not from the person that you were replying to as food for thought- take it or not as you wish.

That's not what you said... you said "Too bad it's still 5e..", and there's been precedent for this statement being used as such. Again, I'm not even the one that you were replying to, and I have no dogs in this race- just trying to give another perspective not from the person that you were replying to as food for thought- take it or not as you wish.
Yes, man, and I repeat: too bad it's 5e, because it means it fucking doesn't work for me!
Seriously, man, I'm really NOT in the mood to explain that my statements pertain to what I like and dislike. Until now, I really considered that obvious!

But then, keep at it, and I'm going to start an anti-5e thread. And hey, 5e wouldn't be the first system whose fans are doing it a disservice!

Anyone who wants to start an anti (or pro) 5e thread is absolutely free to, but let's not let this thread's specific purpose be sidetracked by folks' individual tastes. Normally we encourage threaddrift here at the Pub, but stickied threads are slightly different.

Eh, in general people need to take it down a notch when someone expresses dislike of something they like.

I disagree - sure.
Claiming some form of attack or dig - less coffee tomorrow.

Two-Fisted Tales is built specifically for pulp. It uses a d10-d10 mechanic combined with regular playing cards, much in the same way that MasterBook uses custom cards. The difference is that 2FT is quicker and easier, eliminating a lookup table. Characters are built with iconic templates, although they can also be built from scratch. This makes character creation very fast. There are several different gimmicks available for characters, depending on the setting, including spells, martial arts, hypnotism, gadgets, and even Golden Age superpowers. Villains are also easy to create, using their own templates, as are alternate setting characters. Basic and Advanced combat rules allow you to choose the level of detail needed for any given fight. Advice for various types of settings/campaigns/adventures and different levels of realism aid in putting it all together. I hope that helps.

Also, I can add that I was impressed with the way the genre was explained in the first edition, FWIW:thumbsup:.
Haven't read the second edition yet (especially since I've got a review to finish first).

This is a bit orthogonal to RPGs, but if you play a lot of modern conspiracy-type games Humble Bundle has a deal where you can pick up a bunch of research material for cheap:

Most of it is UFO/Ancient Aliens focused - including a healthy (?) dollop of Erich von Daniken - but there's a few more general titles in there. One book, UFOs and the Deep State, I've read and thought I mentioned here before, but I can't find where I talked about it now. Anyway it seems like a fairly basic overview of various UFO incidents, only with the traditional "mysterious forces" covering things replaced with the Deep State. There is a nice half-chapter about the supposed secret interplanetary space fleet, though.

Last edited:
The first two books of Luke Crane's Miseries & Misfortunes, a B/X variant set in France in 1648, are currently on sale for half price ($12.50). That gets you both the physical books and .pdf versions. I'd been eyeing them for a while and this convinced me to take the plunge, as well as ordering the 3rd volume for $10.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back