DND PVP

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

DNDPVP

Pubber
Reaction score
Travelers, warriors, and poets; no matter from where you hail, you are welcome in these halls. Tales of wondrous battle will be told about the champions to which it draws--their stories cast into legend. There is much honour to be gained, as the Gods of war are surely watching.

Unofficial Official Trailer:

With a 32 person 2v2 tournament just finishing, anything is now possible! Our discord server is growing and we are even looking for those who want to step up and help in various roles.

- Exhibition Matches
- Tournaments & Leagues
- Competitive Dungeons
- Other Events & Games

Join us: https://discord.gg/jNvRQnE2wY

Probably works just as well as the AD&D 1e fight club (they didn't call it that as it predated the movie) tournament in 1986. I warned the organizers that the Druid class was very overpowered for 1 on 1 fight even at 8th level especially with allowing for a magic item budget. And I won the thing handily with my Druid along with a very nicely painted paladin miniature.

The reason the Druid worked so well was because the cleric combat table was good enough, the hit points with a d8 were good enough, the spells were good enough. But the real kicker was the shapeshifting ability. Not because of you could transform into, that was shit, but the fact you healed shifting back.

These days with 5e I think is it Shadow Magic Sorceror plus Hexblade Warlock. Once you are around 4th level you can darkness on yourself and you can see through magical darkness. Everybody attacking you is a disadvantage, at the least, and in some cases, you are attacking them at an advantage.

In a nutshell it is hard to make a fair one and one wargame out of most RPGs. The ones that do usually incorporate a combat system designed for wargaming like Melee and The Fantasy Trip.

Last edited:
Probably works just as well as the AD&D 1e fight club (they didn't call it that as it predated the movie) tournament in 1986. I warned the organizers that the Druid class was very overpowered for 1 on 1 fight even at 8th level especially with allowing for a magic item budget. And I won the thing handily with my Druid along with a very nicely painted paladin miniature.

The reason the Druid worked so well was because the cleric combat table was good enough, the hit points with a d8 were good enough, the spells were good enough. But the real kicker was the shapeshifting ability. Not because of you could transform into, that was shit, but the fact you healed shifting back.

These days with 5e I think is it Shadow Magic Sorceror plus Hexblade Warlock. Once you are around 4th level you can darkness on yourself and you can see through magical darkness. Everybody attacking you is a disadvantage, at the least, and in some cases, you are attacking them at an advantage.

In a nutshell it is hard to make a fair one and one wargame out of most RPGs. The ones that do usually incorporate a combat system designed for wargaming like Melee and The Fantasy Trip.
Couldn't a cleric cast daylight and negate that?

We had all of this happen and more in our tournament. These wern't even the most powerful combo :smile:. Depends on what rules you use. but it turns out to be alot of fun!

Couldn't a cleric cast daylight and negate that?
Sure, but the way I run my campaigns is as a slice of the life of the setting. How often a particular NPC group has a cleric with daylight on them?

Sure, but the way I run my campaigns is as a slice of the life of the setting. How often a particular NPC group has a cleric with daylight on them?
Depends on if they've played WotCs Dungeon of the Mad Mage. If so 100%. Non stop drow casting darkness level after level. So if a race with the inmate ability to cast darkness is common in your world is bet a reasonably experienced NPC group should have that spell.

I think the utility of daylight depends on the campaign. I won't argue that it's as useful as revivify or dispel magic but it isn't useless, either. My games tend to focus on dungeon delving with lots of undead, adherence to light rules, and no PC darkvision so once Bunny hit 5th level daylight was one of her "always prepared" spells. It's the fantasy equivalent of popping flares at the start of a nighttime firefight, making the enemy as visible as a fly on a white tablecloth. Since it doesn't require concentration you can fire-and-forget.

If you'd asked me if a mage had Daylight prepared pre DotMM I would have guessed no. Now if I saw it I'd say someone's planning ahead. It's amazing how much a little darkness can change a battlefield. I just wish Daylight went a step further and was natural sunlight because it would turn the tables on those little drow bastards so fast.

I just wish Daylight went a step further and was natural sunlight because it would turn the tables on those little drow bastards so fast.
Right!? I don't think it's asking too much of a third level spell to generate non-damaging sunlight. The only spells that generate sunlight that I can recall off the top of my head are dawn (5th) and sunburst (8th), both of which inflict radiant damage.

I think the utility of daylight depends on the campaign. I won't argue that it's as useful as revivify or dispel magic but it isn't useless, either.
Sorry for the misconception. It is not a question of whether it is useful in absolute terms. Rather it is a factor of several things.

Level 5 to 6 in the Majestic Wilderlands and Majestic Fantasy Realms are what I consider experienced professionals. A bishop of a diocese would be considered 5th to 6th for example. So given the responsibility of the character at that level of experience what is the likelihood of them having daylight prepared compared to the other 3rd level spells?

My games tend to focus on dungeon delving with lots of undead,
Sure in that case that would make sense. It would make sense that the Dean of Necromancy Hunters for the goddess of justice and honor probably would have daylight memorized as their job is to study and hunt undead threats to the community.

But running a campaign as a slice of life means for other NPCs they are not usually prepared with a counter.

I haven't done this with 5e yet but I did make a random chart for Swords & Wizardry and the Majestic Fantasy RPG around the idea of
  • What does the average magic-user have in their spellbook?
  • What does the average magic-user have memorized?
I went through each spells and using my experience with myself and observing what other players picked. I made charts that weighted the overall utility of each spell.

I shared the memorized spells here

For 5e I eventually I would like to do a "What would a 5e wizard/cleric/etc. prepare?"

But running a campaign as a slice of life means for other NPCs they are not usually prepared with a counter.
I am going to steal your idea of typical spell loadouts but imagine they would change depending on the caster's priorities. A caster "in the field" is likely to optimize for combat and exploration whereas a caster residing safely in civilization might go all in on social interaction and investigation.

We are hosting a trivia event this weekend and beyond. Join us and see what you really know about the game we all love. Register ASAP, everyone welcome!

Everyone is welcome to come out and play!

DND PVP also hosts:

Exhibition matches
Tournaments & Leagues
Other Special Events

Join our community!

TriviaAd2 (2).gif

LFM-rlfg-1.png

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back