Do you actively run Supers RPGs at your table

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Do you actively run Supers RPG's at your table? If so - which one?

• ICONS

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • DC-Heroes (MEGS)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Champions/Hero System

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Mutants & Masterminds

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Heroes Unlimited

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Supers!

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Villains & Vigilantes

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • MSH (FASERIP)

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Other

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 17 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was reminded by my crew that I already have Hit The Streets and they have been waiting to try it out. Apparently they're all Fantasy'ed out. We did go a little overboard this Xmas, I suppose.

They even made characters.

Heh, not even started trying the game and my crew wants to change stuff, like the Rivals. They don't like the idea of having to muscle around other potential heroes. And my crew and I actually love Iron Age comics, well, I'm the one who loves the era the most (And yes, I know MOST of it was utter garbage, but there were some real gems in there when done right) but they're cool with the aesthetic. But then, we grew up in the 80's...

I'm not a fan of Dice Pools, I'm gonna see if I can one of the other players to run the game, I'm ok with playing in a DP game, running, not so much.

Heh, not even started trying the game and my crew wants to change stuff, like the Rivals. They don't like the idea of having to muscle around other potential heroes. And my crew and I actually love Iron Age comics, well, I'm the one who loves the era the most (And yes, I know MOST of it was utter garbage, but there were some real gems in there when done right) but they're cool with the aesthetic. But then, we grew up in the 80's...

I'm not a fan of Dice Pools, I'm gonna see if I can one of the other players to run the game, I'm ok with playing in a DP game, running, not so much.
They could be villains though, not just rival heroes.

They could be villains though, not just rival heroes.
We're old school comic fans, if they're supervillains, they'd be like the Sinister Six vs. Spider-Man, a much more powerful and likely conflicted (don't really get along) group of bad guys.

But that's out of my hands, as I don't like running Dice Pool games.

I'm playing 'The Concerned Citizen'. It was a reply he gave to a victim he once rescued and the media ran with it. He's a Strategist with Highly Trained (Crime Fighter) and Gadgets (Utility Belt/Costume). He's actually a former world class superhero, used to pilot the 10ft tall super robot known only as Bulwark, due to some circumstances he retired from that, and when back home. He now runs a local, municipal car junkyard (Which Bulwark was built from parts of). The locals are not sure if this Concerned Citizen is the original, or some new guy with the same moniker. It is in fact the original.

There's more to his history and stuff of course.

Can someone give a quick rundown of char gen, neighborhood gen and mechanics of Hit the Streets? Would neighborhood gen be portable to other games?

Can someone give a quick rundown of char gen, neighborhood gen and mechanics of Hit the Streets? Would neighborhood gen be portable to other game
The neighborhood generation isn't really mechanistic, so much as "Draw a street, put something on it." I like that because it helps make it less random and more personal, but it may not be for everyone. Chargen is very much assigned scores (dice) to modes ("be super" and "be normal") then stats, then pick two powers. Powers have a lot of intentional ambiguity so you can create what you want from them.

Our group has a Mutants and Masterminds setting that's been going for 13 years (slightly dark, but still has plenty of color. Think 80's X-Men level). Still makes my head reel thinking about it sometimes. Our GM even did a vanity publishing of a novel based on the world and we're in the first steps of putting together a slick and attractive setting book for anyone interested to use.

Our group has a Mutants and Masterminds setting that's been going for 13 years (slightly dark, but still has plenty of color. Think 80's X-Men level). Still makes my head reel thinking about it sometimes. Our GM even did a vanity publishing of a novel based on the world and we're in the first steps of putting together a slick and attractive setting book for anyone interested to use.
We have a game world that's been alive since the 80s when Marvel came out and it's spooky weird that one of my players is now playing in that world with his sons and friends.

I'd love to see your book. Is it tied to M&M or more generic?

That is super cool. Would love to hear more about this and what house rules your group has, as well as advice on running a supers game for so long.

Reanimation and animation are common super game powers. Usually a little hand wavey

Waves hand at the thread.

I am currently doing some comic styled campaign work and in the process of reading all things Whateley. (Which is quite a slog in the beginning to be honest. But it gets better.) My concentration limitations is nerfing core rule work at the moment, but organizing things is something I can do. Plus I like making up characters for my yellow pad.

Tomorrow I'm running part 2 of a DC Heroes session. It involves a group of bad guys who are trying to stop the PCs from re-activating "The Immortal Elite" (by taking on their mantle), a former, mysteriously vanished super hero group from about 20 years ago. Like a fool, I managed to get one PC kidnapped/"time"napped by a villain who can both duplicate himself and time travel. The PCs don't know he can do both things, making his abilities and tricks a bit of a confusing mystery for them.

Now I've got timelines to keep straight.

What have I done to myself?!?!

It's both awesome, and a lesson to myself to never try such a thing again.

Fortunately, part 1 ended with Kidnapped PC from timeline A and 2 of his friends from timeline B losing a fight definitively such that I can start the session however I want. Also, friend 3 escaped the bad guys in both timelines, and the 2 timeline B friends are blissfully unaware of anything in their timeline A incarnations. Keeping track of motivations and the limitations of time-villains powers is giving me "walking on a high wire" feelings about it, but if I get through tomorrow's session OK, I can kick back and let a friend GM the next couple sessions (we are sharing GM duties).

For a while I was running a BASH UE game; it ended prematurely, but for reasons that were more social in nature than anything to do with the system.

This is one of two ideas I have:

1) The Premise: Modern Day, Germany while digging new storm drains, workers hit a bunker, and have to dig under it. They find a time capsule from WWII. One that obviously was made by U.S soldiers.

Being (mostly) friendly in this universe, they ship it to a big museum in the States, where the German and American historians and archeologists use a sealed containment room and a robot to open the time capsule carefully.

Inside there are scraps of colored cloth from some uniforms and pictures of several people standing in front of a smashed Nazi tank, wearing outlandish, comic book-like costumes, newsreels, newspapers, and other materials inside the capsules like watches and jewelry as well.

Printed on the capsule is "We sacrifice our lives so others may live. Always have Courage!"

Problem?

There is no such thing as superheroes, outside of comic books, books, and movies.

Of course, some of the people witnessing the opening will spontaneously develop superpowers.

2) The Premise: While taking part in an experiment to synchronize a number of volunteers REM states to a troubled girl and send them into her dreams a sudden power surge changes the world.
The volunteers awaken in their own beds, and they are superheroes with short but established, histories, and clear memories of the events that gave them powers. However they remember also remember the experiment, but investigation into the project shows no record of the girl of the doctor overseeing the experiment. So was it just a dream?

1) The Premise: Modern Day, Germany while digging new storm drains, workers hit a bunker, and have to dig under it. They find a time capsule from WWII. One that obviously was made by U.S soldiers.

Being (mostly) friendly in this universe, they ship it to a big museum in the States, where the German and American historians and archeologists use a sealed containment room and a robot to open the time capsule carefully.

Inside there are scraps of colored cloth from some uniforms and pictures of several people standing in front of a smashed Nazi tank, wearing outlandish, comic book-like costumes, newsreels, newspapers, and other materials inside the capsules like watches and jewelry as well.

Printed on the capsule is "We sacrifice our lives so others may live. Always have Courage!"

Problem?

There is no such thing as superheroes, outside of comic books, books, and movies.

Of course, some of the people witnessing the opening will spontaneously develop superpowers.

2) The Premise: While taking part in an experiment to synchronize a number of volunteers REM states to a troubled girl and send them into her dreams a sudden power surge changes the world.
The volunteers awaken in their own beds, and they are superheroes with short but established, histories, and clear memories of the events that gave them powers. However they remember also remember the experiment, but investigation into the project shows no record of the girl of the doctor overseeing the experiment. So was it just a dream?
FWIW, I approve of both ideas, but I like the first better (although it's also less plausible:shade:).

1) reminds me of the Outlaws of the Water Margin legend. Which is great. (The idea that the opening of the cask released the “essence” of great heroes. That could be played straight and played for comedy)

2) this has some great shakes into Alan Moore’s Miracleman. Nice work. Which is the dream? The world they are in now? Which is the manufactured reality? Why are there two?

(Elaborated a little)

Last edited:
1) reminds me of the Outlaws of the Water Margin legend. Which is great. (The idea that the opening of the cask released the “essence” of great heroes. That could be played straight and played for comedy)

2) this has some great shakes into Alan Moore’s Miracleman. Nice work. Which is the dream? The world they are in now? Which is the manufactured reality? Why are there two?

(Elaborated a little)
Oh yeah, right on the last one!
Of course "What happened to the doctor and her patient?" is another possible one as well.

Problem?

I've been thinking of a sort of similar premise, where the PCs wake up one morning with superpowers in a world full of people with superpowers, where reality is very different than it was last night (being able to do anything unusual makes putting on a bright skintight costume a totally normal thing to do, a simple domino mask is enough to fool even lifelong friends, beating someone unconscious doesn't cause traumatic brain injury, etc.). There are ghosts and manifest demons and mythical creatures romping around. Within a week there are teams of superheroes trusting each other like they've been working together for years and there are supervillains with grudges that could only come from decades of frustrating conflict. There are even some people who remember (inconsistently with each other) costumed adventurers active as long ago as WWII or earlier. But the world used to be the 'real world' we're all used to and there was no dramatic inciting incident anyone can remember.

What happened? A crisis! A cosmic-level conflict between the JLA/Avengers-level team and some Kang-type threat broke history and wiped out not just superheroes but the rules of reality that let superheroes exist. In the mundane reality that replaced the original, comic books were our half-memories of how things used to be and should be, struggling to manifest. And then a day ago heroes managed to do what heroes do, defeat the villain, resolve the crisis, and reboot reality.

There are of course some inconsistencies just from the strain of reality coming crashing back, like how no one can figure out if that one hero is a reincarnated ancient wizard-king or an alien cop or somehow both at the same time, but people now remember how stuff like that happens after every reboot-level crisis.

For whatever reason the PCs have a stronger memory of the mundane crisis 'reality' and so have to adapt to a new reality that functions explicitly according to superhero comic book rules. (And I can drop in an expy from a real comic with just a palette and name swap with an explanation "of course there were comics about this guy, they were a major hero," and I can handwave any worldbuilding slips (failure to take adequate notes) by saying "oh, that happened because the alternate dimension evil clone of that one foundational hero punched reality too hard.")

I've been thinking of a sort of similar premise, where the PCs wake up one morning with superpowers in a world full of people with superpowers, where reality is very different than it was last night (being able to do anything unusual makes putting on a bright skintight costume a totally normal thing to do, a simple domino mask is enough to fool even lifelong friends, beating someone unconscious doesn't cause traumatic brain injury, etc.). There are ghosts and manifest demons and mythical creatures romping around. Within a week there are teams of superheroes trusting each other like they've been working together for years and there are supervillains with grudges that could only come from decades of frustrating conflict. There are even some people who remember (inconsistently with each other) costumed adventurers active as long ago as WWII or earlier. But the world used to be the 'real world' we're all used to and there was no dramatic inciting incident anyone can remember.

What happened?
"Duuuuudes! What kind of moron puts a Marvel comics of all things in the Reality Overlay Machine?!?"

What happened? A crisis! A cosmic-level conflict between the JLA/Avengers-level team and some Kang-type threat broke history and wiped out not just superheroes but the rules of reality that let superheroes exist. In the mundane reality that replaced the original, comic books were our half-memories of how things used to be and should be, struggling to manifest. And then a day ago heroes managed to do what heroes do, defeat the villain, resolve the crisis, and reboot reality.

There are of course some inconsistencies just from the strain of reality coming crashing back, like how no one can figure out if that one hero is a reincarnated ancient wizard-king or an alien cop or somehow both at the same time, but people now remember how stuff like that happens after every reboot-level crisis.

For whatever reason the PCs have a stronger memory of the mundane crisis 'reality' and so have to adapt to a new reality that functions explicitly according to superhero comic book rules. (And I can drop in an expy from a real comic with just a palette and name swap with an explanation "of course there were comics about this guy, they were a major hero," and I can handwave any worldbuilding slips (failure to take adequate notes) by saying "oh, that happened because the alternate dimension evil clone of that one foundational hero punched reality too hard.")
This sounds fun! Do it! Online so I can play (with a system like :grin:)

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back