Do you have any shiny new 2018 RPGs (even test versions)?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Charlie D

Man on the Silver Mountain
Reaction score
New RPGs are starting to trickle in for 2018. I received the PDF of Talislanta last night. And I'm going to read the Forbidden Lands alpha PDF tonight. I'm very happy with Talislanta and expect to be pleased with Forbidden Lands as well.

I'm looking forward to checking out Mutant: Mechatron (final version), Mutant Crawl Classics (final version), Traveller the Great Rift (box!), and Alternity (final version) later in 2018.

Anyone else have any new and shiny RPGs just published in the last few weeks?

Nope. Doubt I'll buy anything newly released in 2018. More likely to buy something 35 years old at a garage sale.

This is going to be a year of winding my neck in with regard to new shiny although I will continue to support my favourite three companies as long as they stay with the traditional retail route; I'm very, very done with Kickstarter.

The abstemiousness stems partly from this being a year ahead of some high financial costs and unpredictable workload, but also the fact that I'm surrounded, quite literally, by piles of games that are just begging to be explored and anything new would just be saturation more than satisfaction.

Everybody else just spend without me, I don't think the gaming bubble will burst just yet.

I do still have some things to arrive this year in any case; come to me Dearg.

The only new thing I'll be buying anytime soon (as soon as it's available) is the new black metal themed LotFP module by Zak Smith.

Nope. I'm waiting on the release of the playtest docs for Alternity, because I plan to run a short campaign with them in a couple of months.

I just bought the Lone Wolf Adventures RPG. Should be in the mail box soon. I’m hoping Feral comes out this year. Other than that, I’ll take a wait and see approach.

Oops yeah Feral!!! That too. Put me down for one if those please!

Mythic D6 (new version of D6 Legends) just became available in PDF for Kickstarter campaign backers today. I haven't looked at it yet though.

I have the draft PDF of The Princess Bride Roleplaying Game and will be pouncing on the Kickstarter later this month. It's a beautifully done adaptation of the film.
I would like to see the rules when that comes out. I'm curious what they've done to emulate the swordfights and battles of wits. I'm hoping it's not just comparing dice but has had some tactical choices especially for derring-do duelist dandies. I'll also be curious to see what they've done to make Guilder and Florin into a game-ready setting. It would be pretty funny if they included material from Morgenstern's relatively unknown other novel The Silent Gondoliers . Even better if they somehow obtained cooperation or insight from William Goldman. Please tell us what you can.

Well, I'm reading through the PDF beta of Kult: Divinity Lost now. I think that the illustrations are likely to put off most squeamish gamers.

Waiting for RQG which is due by mid year. That’s about it at present.

Just got Talislanta, waiting on RQG like Mankcam mostly whatever gets released by Design Mechanism and FFGs Genesys line.

Oh and more of my Conan books from Mophidius. Might grab John Carter when released.

Couple of Kickstarters. Sigh so much for cutting back.

Please tell us what you can.
I probably shouldn't go into any real details from the rules, not least because I have no connection to any parties involved in producing the game and so have no idea whether any substantial changes or additions have been made. There is a quick start download available, although it doesn't address the areas you're most interested in. Still, a few points from the material I have:

There are fencing rules involving tactical choices, or you can simplify things and use a quicker resolution method. Rules for Miracles and True Love are also included.

A key point to bear in mind is that this is the game of the film, not the book. The book gets occasional mentions (such as during the description of Florin, where it's pointed out that the film never gives a location for it but the book does) but overall, perhaps as a restriction of the licence (speculation on my part), information from the novel that didn't make it to the screen or contradicts the movie is not part of it. The on-screen conceit of Grandpa telling the story, and being interrupted, is also explicitly included (players can even spend a Grandpa, Wait! token to interrupt the GM and try to change what just happened).

Don't expect exhaustive gazetteers. Key locations of interest are covered (Thieves’ Forest, Cliffs of Insanity etc) as are other countries. However, its very much about capturing the feel of the movie and how it treats the setting: “Skip on to the Fire Swamp… That sounded good.”

Seasoned RPG players may not be the primary targets. There's plenty to get your teeth into, but it's very clear that Toy Vault want this to appeal to fans of the film and not just gamers, so some of the things that get the extended word count in a typical RPG are less prominent here.

With all that said, I'm impressed and excited by the game. As long as people don't complain that it's not something it was actually never intended to be I think it will find a lot of fans.

Last edited:
I tend to get cold feet when it comes to a lot of new and shiny Rpg products. Maybe because I've burned over the past few years with disappointments. Either it doesn't match up with my playstyle, it's not reflective of what's being pitched in the advertising, or it's scope is so limited that it can only be used for specific purposes.

Earlier this week, I was looking at Modiphius' Mutant Year Zero, Coriolis, Infinity and Elite Dangerous and thinking those look shiny. But I dread buying new material that's going to go unused on a bookshelf or in a OneDrive folder. And I'm at a stasis point in my physical collection of Rpgs, where I don't really want to add anything without removing something that's already there. It really has to be an excellent new Rpg product to displace what I'm currently using.

I tend to get cold feet when it comes to a lot of new and shiny Rpg products. Maybe because I've burned over the past few years with disappointments. Either it doesn't match up with my playstyle, it's not reflective of what's being pitched in the advertising, or it's scope is so limited that it can only be used for specific purposes.

Earlier this week, I was looking at Modiphius' Mutant Year Zero, Coriolis, Infinity and Elite Dangerous and thinking those look shiny. But I dread buying new material that's going to go unused on a bookshelf or in a OneDrive folder. And I'm at a stasis point in my physical collection of Rpgs, where I don't really want to add anything without removing something that's already there. It really has to be an excellent new Rpg product to displace what I'm currently using.

Mutant Year Zero and Coriolis are made by Free League (distributed by Modiphuis) and I have a thread started about those games. Both have free quickstarts if you just want to read about them and you can even run an adventure without spending any money.

I can understand not wanting to get burned with new games.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out their quickstarts.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back