Doctor Who mega-thread [Spoilers][Merged]

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
The first time I saw the promo picture of Whitaker outside the TARDIS wearing a rainbow shirt, suspenders and raised cuffs, I was wondering, 'where have I seen this before?' Then it hit me:
MORK!
She's Mork from Ork!
1652521316904.png 1652521346920.png 1652521525270.png
1652521827628.png

OMG now that you mention it...
If any Hollywood actor could have been chosen for The Doctor, then Robin Williams would have been absolutely perfect !!!
:shade:

Last edited:
Now we have the announcement of Yasmin Finney joining the cast, which I'm going to hastily guess means as an assistant/companion role.

You can hear the gnashing of teeth from the gammons already.

A black Doctor? A trans companion? It's clearly the end times for the Daily Mail loyalty brigade.

You can hear the gnashing of teeth from the gammons already.
Sounds like you've already decided what to call anyone who doesnt agree with you on this...

A black Doctor? A trans companion? It's clearly the end times for the Daily Mail loyalty brigade.
The previous Doctor looked and felt very much like someone had gone through a Diversity Box Ticking exercise to pick the companions, especially given the virtue signalling of some of the storylines and the lack of development of some characters (Yaz), so deliberately picking a black (possibly gay?) Doctor and a trans companion I fear the stories are going to revolve around their ethnic and sexual identity rather than be about a Timelord and their sidekick, one of whom is black and the other is transgender.
Pass the mustard...

Now the Doctor being gender-neutral or gender fluid, that I think could work quite well given they and other Timelords have regenerated as both male and female.

Sounds like you've already decided what to call anyone who doesnt agree with you on this...

The previous Doctor looked and felt very much like someone had gone through a Diversity Box Ticking exercise to pick the companions, especially given the virtue signalling of some of the storylines and the lack of development of some characters (Yaz), so deliberately picking a black (possibly gay?) Doctor and a trans companion I fear the stories are going to revolve around their ethnic and sexual identity rather than be about a Timelord and their sidekick, one of whom is black and the other is transgender.
Pass the mustard...

Now the Doctor being gender-neutral or gender fluid, that I think could work quite well given they and other Timelords have regenerated as both male and female.

Yes, I call them people with different opinions. Is my taking a light jab at reactionary responses too much?

I don't really have an opinion on the casting itself, I don't know either actor. I only care if we can finally get a good season after three bad ones and I'm daring to be hopeful while having a little fun with the news as it breaks.

Cast a Ford Galaxie as the Doctor, you cowards.
I really wanted, and still want, a spin-off series in which Gomez’ Mistress travels the universe with her own version of ‘doing good.’
Good is not nice. It would be glorious, although she'd need her own companions to bounce off.
Pass the mustard...

1. Trans is a gender identity, not a sexual identity. Different spectrum.
2. Yasmin Finney is apparently playing Rose (How? I dunno, nick RTD's laptop or wait until 2023).
3. Just because the actors are trans or gay or whatever, doesn't mean the characters will be - they act, it's kinda their entire job.
4. We've seen time lords regenerate into appearing like different ethnicities of humans before, but their ethnicity is still Gallifreyan / time lord; skin colour to them seems just like eye colour is to us. something that's a fact about them but not a huge deal. The Doctor might use their appearance to break the ice with groups because he's like that, or for throwaway jokes ("Lots of planets have a north"), but he'll still be The Doctor rather than a black rwandi-scotsman.

Missy has her own full-cast audio drama series. I can't afford it right now (the Derek Jacobi War Master series comes first!) but it's there as an option for those of us needing more Michelle Gomez...

I'm mostly interested in the early Doctors, including the B&W period up to the late 70s and early 80s, with their cheapjack BBC children's afternoon sf/horror vibe.

Once it becomes slicker without the cheap sets and primitive but fun and effective fx my interest drops significantly.

I'm mostly interested in the early Doctors, including the B&W period up to the late 70s and early 80s, with their cheapjack BBC children's afternoon sf/horror vibe.

Once it becomes slicker without the cheap sets and primitive but fun and effective fx my interest drops significantly.

I like how in Who and other shows like Blake's 7, the set and effects are on high school play level due to how cheap BBC was but many of the actors rose up on Shakespeare and are determined to take it seriously no matter the circumstances. Yea, the 'dying alien' is a vacuum with soap and food coloring set on blow but, dammit, it's my estranged wife for the next five minutes. They probably cry at the state of their career afterwards, though.

I like how in Who and other shows like Blake's 7, the set and effects are on high school play level due to how cheap BBC was but many of the actors rose up on Shakespeare and are determined to take it seriously no matter the circumstances. Yea, the 'dying alien' is a vacuum with soap and food coloring set on blow but, dammit, it's my estranged wife for the next five minutes. They probably cry at the state of their career afterwards, though.

Most of those UK theatre actors seemed to take their most populist work for TV and film with a fair bit of good humour.

It's that refusal to play down to the material that often makes them so much fun to watch, they treat the silliest stuff as seriously as Shakespeare.

Most of those UK theatre actors seemed to take their most populist work for TV and film with a fair bit of good humour.

It's that refusal to play down to the material that often makes them so much fun to watch, they treat the silliest stuff as seriously as Shakespeare.
I've got Babylon 5 playing in the background while getting some work done. The acting from guest stars on the show can be variable, but you can count on the Brits like David Warner and Michael York to go all out when they are on the show.

I thought Jodie Whittaker had a banging theme to make up for the terrible scripts.

Agreed, while I thought her era's logo was the worst the show has ever had (thanks BBC, for forcing Cubicle 7 to put it on Capaldi's sourcebook...), her intro sequence and theme were damn good.

I've been rewatching the Third Doctor's seasons lately. Damn good stuff.

It is. The earlier stories are sometimes overly long with the sneaking/captured/escape padding. But even then, Pertwee is very good. And the Earthbound setting with the recurring supporting cast gave those years a different feel. I like that the Doctor wasn't going to vanish after each story, instead he would be back pottering around at Unit HQ next week, wishing psychic pain on the Time Lords for his exile.

Honestly, it's a gimmick I wish they'd used for the Seventh Doctor. Y'know, make the end of the Trial of a Timelord see him once again in exile. All of McCoy's best stories were either on Earth or could easily have been rewritten to be there. Might've helped stretch the joke of a budget the show had those last three years.

Honestly, it's a gimmick I wish they'd used for the Seventh Doctor. Y'know, make the end of the Trial of a Timelord see him once again in exile. All of McCoy's best stories were either on Earth or could easily have been rewritten to be there. Might've helped stretch the joke of a budget the show had those last three years.
The way I hear it, the top BBC exec was trying to kill the show because it was part of his predecessor's legacy. I'm sure he would have just reduced the budget further.

The way I hear it, the top BBC exec was trying to kill the show because it was part of his predecessor's legacy. I'm sure he would have just reduced the budget further.

Michael Grade just hated the show. He did everything he could to kill it off from the Fifth Doctor's era onward. Nevermind that just boosting the budget a bit might've done wonders, he'd rather cancel an entire season's pre-production efforts and expenses than actually give the show another penny. Given his logic has always been that it 'looked cheap', it's really confusing.

Bonus points for him now taking credit for the success of the 2005 relaunch, saying if he hadn't cancelled it in 1988, that wouldn't have happened...

Twit.

The very first appearance of the fourteenth Doctor is available.

Tubi has recently started streaming a bunch of the Doctor Who series, from the first to the seventh Doctor. Great to have all the early seasons easily available.

BBC changed the ending to An Adventure in Space & Time today in its re-screening. Out goes Matt Smith, in comes Ncuti Gatwa.

BBC changed the ending to An Adventure in Space & Time today in its re-screening. Out goes Matt Smith, in comes Ncuti Gatwa.

I understand that they always intended this to be a scene where they could switch in a new Doctor, but it seems weird to do it before that Doctor has even established themselves. We've had to two Doctors with multiple seasons since Matt Smith that didn't get inserted into this scene, after all.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back