Doctor Who RPG 2E Announced

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
Cubicle Seven announced earlier this week that a second edition of the Doctor Who RPG is in the pipeline. No announcement of when it will be released nor pricing, however.

The award-winning Doctor Who: The Roleplaying Game has regenerated into a new Second Edition that is faster, easier, and even more exciting. This book presents all the rules and background you need to voyage across space and time with the Doctor, or as new characters experiencing brand new epic adventures.

[...] The new and updated version of the popular Vortex system is completely compatible with the First Edition of the game. Second Edition makes gameplay faster, easier, and quicker to learn, while keeping all of the dramatic action you’d expect from an episode of Doctor Who.

[...] Revised rules for creating your group’s own TARDIS, or other time travel device to allow them to adventure from the dawn of history to the very ends of the Universe.

CB71104_Doctor-Who-2E-Revised-SMALLER-1200x1506.jpg

First edition was a lot of fun

I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I definitely plan to check out the second edition. It's good to know that everything from first edition is completely compatible with the second, maybe I'll look into buying the 1E books in PDF.

I like the game, but having four previous editions with merely new art and layout, doesn’t help me to prioritize buying a new set of rules urgently.

I'm torn on whether I need a new edition of this or not. It's a great game but between the core rules, Doctors 1-8 sourcebooks, and a couple of the other sourcebooks (not to mention the unoffical Expanded Universe and Dalek Empire supplements) I think I have everything I need for Dr Who.

It does sound like there might be some interesting new rules though. There is some mention of them in an interview with the designer, David Chapman, in this podcast:

The most notable change is that it sounds like Traits are now just a descriptor and, if they apply in a given situation, the player gains either a bonus or penalty D6 to their action. Basically like D&D 5e Advantage or Disadvantage.

I wonder how much this is a 5th printing rather than a 2nd edition.

From listening to the podcast I linked to above, I've got the impression that there's a couple of big(ish) rules changes and quite a few smaller revisions. So I would guess it's not as small a difference as between Call of Cthulhu 5th edition to 6th edition but slightly smaller than the difference between 6th and 7th. That's just a guess though!

It is good that the new edition is going to get rid of the shopping list of Traits. It is one weakness, in my view of the old system - something I have found out when trying to run the game on Roll20.

It is good that the new edition is going to get rid of the shopping list of Traits. It is one weakness, in my view of the old system - something I have found out when trying to run the game on Roll20.

It sounds like it could be a decent way to streamline the game a bit. It does depend on whether there are any exceptions, or how any other new rules might interact with them, of course. I'm certainly going to check the game out as a result even if I may not end up buying it.

I like the game, but having four previous editions with merely new art and layout, doesn’t help me to prioritize buying a new set of rules urgently.
And the last of those, the Capaldi editions, seemed like a solid "soft reboot" of the line.

I like it, but I don't think I like it enough to buy another core rulebook unless there are changes.

1st edition - all four editions of it, is one of my favourite new RPGs of the last decade.

I loved the way they approached rulings with the attributes and skills. The way they had talkers go first was a big inspiration for me.

And the last of those, the Capaldi editions, seemed like a solid "soft reboot" of the line.

I like it, but I don't think I like it enough to buy another core rulebook unless there are changes.

I didn't get the capaldi version (I loved Capaldi as a doctor but only have the Matt Smith version of the RPG). Did they make any significant mechanical changes?

I didn't get the capaldi version (I loved Capaldi as a doctor but only have the Matt Smith version of the RPG). Did they make any significant mechanical changes?
Nope, but the books that they put out had the feeling of trying to make a complete gameline under that branding, rather than split across multiple. To me, anyway.

I've owned the 10th and 11th Doctor boxed sets and the 50th Anniversary core book. They were just consolidating some of the Traits, and a few additional rules (I think), from other books into the core. There was, naturally, errata as well. Otherwise I think no substantial differences.

It sounds like this new edition will have bigger changes. The changes to Traits sound significant at least.

How meta currency dependant is this game? I've always thought about looking into it.

How meta currency dependant is this game? I've always thought about looking into it.

There's a single meta-currency, a small pool of points allowing for re-rolls and a few other effects, like Hero Points. Besides the unfortunate name of "Story Points" I didn't find them any more intrusive than WFRP's Fate points, mostly just a hail mary. And you can drop them from the game with no effect.

There's a single meta-currency, a small pool of points allowing for re-rolls and a few other effects, like Hero Points. Besides the unfortunate name of "Story Points" I didn't find them any more intrusive than WFRP's Fate points, mostly just a hail mary. And you can drop them from the game with no effect.
I might grab it this time around. Probably not to run Dr. Who, but something in a similar vein. I'm the worst :p

I statted up Hellboy with the system a while back as an experiment

HELLBOY
mignolahellboysword.gif

ATTRIBUTES:

AWARENESS: 3
(Hellboy does have a tendency to stumble into traps & take the first hit in a fight more often than not, though he is a competent (more "beat cop" than "Carnacki") investigator, able to identify clues in his surroundings, so I averaged out the two aspects that Awareness conceivably covers.)

COORDINATION: 2
(He's not a clutz, but agility is not one of Hellboy's strong suits.)

INGENUITY: 4
(Hellboy's not remarkably witty or creative, but he's no dunce and retains a surprising amount of information about the supernatural and the myths surrounding them.)

PRESENCE: 3
(This will probably immediately seem too low to a lot of Hellboy fans, and is probably the score I wrestled with the longest. It wasn't until I left it and was reading another part of the book that I realized Hellboy's imposing appearance would be covered by specific TRAITS and that PRESENCE is mostly a rating of personality, charisma, and congeniality ;at least that's my understanding based on the attribute's description in the GM's guide. Hellboy is sort of a Gruff Lower-Class Everyman, antagonistic towards pretension, and usually the one to call a spade a spade. He is generally well-liked and has a large number of friends across the world, if few of them are intimately close with him. Hellboy's the type to frequently "throw back one" with a few buddies, be they werewolf-fighting Catholic priests or the ghostly skeletons of sailors at the bottom of the sea.

That said, Hellboy is antisocial, withdrawn, blunt, undiplomatic, and quick-tempered. Despite his "inheritance" he shows little tendency towards leadership, and is not known to be charming, suave, or even intimidating except for threat of violence. It's part of Mignola's comic's charm that Hellboy is just this big, demon-looking guy that travels around the world fighting monsters and no one barely comments or panics (with one notable exception). * No one stands in awe of him. In fact, he doesn't get ANY respect, except from godlike fallen angels dressed as monks. So, again with the disclaimer that several Traits will address of other aspects of the character related to PRESENCE, I went with a lower score simply based upon Hellboy's personality.)

RESOLVE: 5
(Here is Hellboy's first significant rating, befitting a character with the willpower to resist the seductions and intimidations of demons and major mythological figures and even assert his own personality, in essence redefining his soul, to break a magical binding by way of his "True Name". Granted, with a little motivational help from the Wee Folk.)

STRENGTH: 8
(Decidedly superhuman, I guestimated this rating based on the ratings of the aliens, in this case suggesting he is at least as strong as a Slitheen, though this may be a lowballed figure. The GM's guide has detailed descriptions and examples for attribute scores from 1 to 6, the game's "human maximum". I hope that the upcoming Aliens and Creatures supplement includes an expanded description of "superhuman" attribute ratings.)

Since TRAITS are going to require a bit of thought, let me momentarily skip ahead to SKILLS:

ATHLETICS: 3; CONVINCE: 1; FIGHTING: 4 (Fisticuffs) ; KNOWLEDGE: 4 (The Occult, Folklore, Archaic Languages) ; MARKSMAN: 2; SUBTERFUGE: 1; SURVIVAL: 3

And on to TRAITS (For clarities sake, I am going to include the new traits I created specifically for Hellboy italicized at the end):

Armour (Special Minor Good Demon Trait)
Brave (Minor Good Trait)
Code of Honour (Minor Bad Trait)
Experienced (Special Good Trait)
Fast Healing (Special Good Demon Trait)
Friends (BPRD Contacts - Major Good Trait)
Immortal (Special Major Good Demon Trait)
Impulsive (Minor Bad Trait)
Indomitable (Major Good Trait)
Obligation (BPRD - Major Bad Trait) **
Resourceful Pockets (Utility Belt - Minor Good Trait)
Technically Inept (Minor Bad Trait)
Tough (Minor Good Trait)

Demon (Special Good Trait) For simplicities' sake, and because it works, (especially if I ever want to have a Torchwood/Angel one-off), basically here "Demon" is the Trait "Alien" with the names switched. Like the "Alien" Trait, it is "a "Gateway" so to speak, opening a selection of other Special Traits that are normally unavailable to mere humans." (GMG 111)

Demonic Appearance (Minor Bad Demon Trait) is the trait "Alien Appearance" with the names switched. Hellboy looks like a big walking classical image of the Devil, and shaving his horns doesn't hide being 7 feet tall, red, and hoofed with a tail. To some people of a particular religious disposition this may be terrifying (even though may of Hellboy's friends are priests); however, generally speaking, most people don't react or even comment on Hellboy's appearance. He's too well-known, used as a posterboy for the BPRD for years*.

Special-Pull Punch Hellboy's massive strength can do some significant damage, especially when using his Red Right Hand, but Hellboy can deliberately pull his punch when facing human or human-like opponents. Hellboy's player must announce this intention beforehand, but then rolls to hit normally (Strength + Fighting). On a minor success, Hellboy may adjust the damage (downwards only) by up to 4 pts, on a Major Success by up to 8 pts, and on a Fantastic Success, up to 12 points.

Special-Right Hand of Doom This Trait is elaborated from the "Natural Weapon" Trait, with some of the rules for Gadgets added in. Hellboy's Stone-like right hand is an irremovable gauntlet***, the last surviving piece of a prehistorical statue. Hellboy doesn't yet know its origin or it's prophesied purpose in relation to the Apocalypse**.A "natural weapon", it increases the damage of any physical attack by +4 (It's customary to loudly exclaim "BOOM!" when employing this feature). The hand itself also has the following Traits: Clumsy (Minor Bad Trait, -1 to Coordination when attempting any feat of manual dexterity when using the Right Hand of Doom); Dark Secret (Major Bad Trait); Experienced (Special Good Trait); Indestructible (Special Good Trait, The Right Hand of Doom cannot be damaged by any natural means). It holds 4 Story Points.

* - Yes, the movies went a different route. In fact, if you only know Hellboy from the films, some of this profile may seem inaccurate, as Del Toro took the basics of the characters and went very much in his own direction. (Totally with approval and encouragement from Mignola I should add)

** - Note this profile is specifically for a game taking place during a time Hellboy was still with the B.P.R.D, as reflected in a few of his characteristics and descriptions (My ideal pairing here would probably be Pertwee or Tom Baker/ UNIT era). Thus I went with a Hellboy before the events leading up to his leaving, in other words, pre-Seed of Destruction.

*** - AFAIK, it's never been specifically revealed whether Hellboy's right hand IS his hand, or is a gauntlet fused atop his hand, or if his real right hand was amputated and the stone hand grafted on. Several years ago this was a somewhat flame-prone argument on a few Hellboy-themed MBs I frequented.

That gives me a great idea of how the system works! Thanks :smile:

I bet you're super pumped about the hellboy 5e game coming out ;)

Always seemed like a very cool setting.

Yeah, doesn't seem like a great fit. I would've expected Gumshoe if they were choosing a system that was already made. (Not that I'm a fan or anything)

I'm torn on whether I need a new edition of this or not. It's a great game but between the core rules, Doctors 1-8 sourcebooks, and a couple of the other sourcebooks (not to mention the unoffical Expanded Universe and Dalek Empire supplements) I think I have everything I need for Dr Who.

It does sound like there might be some interesting new rules though. There is some mention of them in an interview with the designer, David Chapman, in this podcast:

The most notable change is that it sounds like Traits are now just a descriptor and, if they apply in a given situation, the player gains either a bonus or penalty D6 to their action. Basically like D&D 5e Advantage or Disadvantage.

Thanks for the link to the podcast. According to it, the book will be available for pre-order later this month with a PDF release soon after, and the printed book released a couple of months after that.

I have two of the previously published 1st Edition core books. Which is definitely one more than I need, since I barely use the system as-written at all. It isn't bad, I simply used less and less of it until I realized I was refereeing with my own rules entirely and gave up the pretense.

However, the support material is good. It would be even better if it weren't so beholden to the 2005 series. Those 50th anniversary Doctor-by-Doctor sourcebooks were excellent!

So I don't know how high a priority yet-another-rulebook is, especially given my overall distaste for the Chibnall-era (no, nothing against a female Doctor, just against bad stories). I'm only just over my annoyance that the 12th Doctor Sourcebook, made to fit with all the other 50th anniversary books has the ugly new logo all over it. Ugh, hate that title logo.

All that said, I'm pleased to see Cubicle 7 and the BBC keeping this going. More sourcebooks are always welcome, even if I skip the core rules.

I have the original box set. I also have the Limited Edition version of the core.

Never played it.

I'd had an image in my head of a time lady character I had literally wanted to play ever since I was a teenager. I finally had an opportunity to play her. I tried to make up a character in the system and...

I would up with something I felt was incompetent. This feeling was magnified when I looked at the stats of the official companions (who are always useless), and looked at Rose (my absolute most despised companion in all of Whodom) and saw that even detestable and incompetent Rose was better than my character in every single way.

Lost all interest in playing. All the stuff is currently in a box buried at the back of the closet.

So, never played. I also didn't feel the initiative system would really work. The game seemed to imply that there were some kinds of contested rolls to see if you acted on any particular phase. I think one of the examples was trying to talk a Dalek out of shooting you with a skill check of talk versus the Dalek's skill check of shoot. The example made it seem like there were no phases at all, just constant contested rolls of everything to determine whose action went off.

Then there was how the Story Points worked. It seemed the default assumption was to scale difficulty so that players would have to spend Story Points to reliably succeed at any but the most menial tasks. This gave the advantage to companion character types, who inherently got more Story Points, making them more reliably able to hit high target numbers.

But I don't know. I think it's been at least a year since I looked at any of it.

I also didn't feel the initiative system would really work. The game seemed to imply that there were some kinds of contested rolls to see if you acted on any particular phase. I think one of the examples was trying to talk a Dalek out of shooting you with a skill check of talk versus the Dalek's skill check of shoot. The example made it seem like there were no phases at all, just constant contested rolls of everything to determine whose action went off.

Uhhhh....I think you misread it. The Initiative system just has talkers go first, "doers" second, and anyone attacking acts last. The talker's roll is not related to the roll of someone attacking.

Uhhhh....I think you misread it. The Initiative system just has talkers go first, "doers" second, and anyone attacking acts last. The talker's roll is not related to the roll of someone attacking.

Definitely possible, but I clearly recall there were one or more examples showing how the initiative system "worked" which indicated that if someone wanted to do something in an earlier phase (run) and someone else wanted to do something in a later phase (shoot), then you rolled an opposed check between them and the winner got to go first. It completely negated the whole run, talk, fight sequential phase thing.

Because my initial interpretation was that if you did a higher priority action, it went first. But the examples contradicted that.

The offending examples were probably in the original box set. I don't recall if they were in the later hardcover.

Definitely possible, but I clearly recall there were one or more examples showing how the initiative system "worked" which indicated that if someone wanted to do something in an earlier phase (run) and someone else wanted to do something in a later phase (shoot), then you rolled an opposed check between them and the winner got to go first. It completely negated the whole run, talk, fight sequential phase thing.

Because my initial interpretation was that if you did a higher priority action, it went first. But the examples contradicted that.

The offending examples were probably in the original box set. I don't recall if they were in the later hardcover.
No. You could change your mind and decide that you want to take an action in an earlier phase, but the GM might apply a penalty to your action to compensate. The GM could also apply fiat and rearrange the Initiative order in some circumstances, but generally it always acts in that order, with relevant ability and skill levels operating as tie breakers if needed. There is no dice rolling for initiative though.

This is a cool game, I got it in a Bundle but would be tempted now to get the 2e in hardcopy to actually run it. I guess that's the idea of those bundles!

Damn. If only this edition was a different Doctor
Well, the interior graphic design is probably the same, but I could live with that.

I did actually make a criticism to one of the writers a few years back on the Doctor Who forum, that they had produced a load of editions with the cover being of the current Doctor - only to have that Doctor move on. So each edition essentially looked out of date. I suggested that they should do a more iconic cover of the Tardis - which the writers were receptive to - so was a bit disappointed to see a new cover with the current Doctor on it again, especially since Jodie Foster is about to quit.

So, maybe they just thought they'd save the iconic cover for a special edition? Bet it costs an arm and a leg though.

Last edited:
I almost ran a Dr Who one-shot using Fate Core, but time got in the way and I shelved it.
I've always been interested in the rpg, but there's nothing in the game mechanics that jumped out to me that I'm not already using Fate Core to portray.
So I'll probably just stick with the Fate Core rulebook and numerous Dr Who gazeteers for resources.
Still, I quite like the products that Cubicle 7 produces, and I wish them all the best with this.
Hopefully consolidating their focus down to Warhammer and Dr Who will mean that they don't drop any other game lines.
From what I have read, they are doing a good job with Dr Who, and the game mechanics support the setting quite well.
I must admit, that 'TARDIS-cover' collectors edition has caught my attention...

So was a bit disappointed to see a new cover with the current Doctor on it again, especially since Jodie Foster is about to quit.
Well, I'm sure you mean Jodie Whittaker, not Jodie Foster, heh heh :grin:

Jodie Whittaker's leaving so soon?

I must admit that I feel that the series took a further nose dive into blandness during her time, but despite all the controversy regarding the gender-change of the role, I think she has done a good job. The storyline and other characters just seem quite boring for me at present.
I think it will take more than just a new doctor to win back fans, the whole cast may need to be replaced, and the writing style needs to recapture it's former glory.

So yeah, that's an odd choice putting Jodie Whittaker on the cover if she has been making noises about moving on...

Well, I'm sure you mean Jodie Whittaker, not Jodie Foster, heh heh :grin:

Jodie Whittaker's leaving so soon?

I must admit that I feel that the series took a further nose dive into blandness during her time, but despite all the controversy regarding the gender-change of the role, I think she has done a good job. The storyline and other characters just seem quite boring for me at present.
I think it will take more than just a new doctor to win back fans, the whole cast may need to be replaced, and the writing style needs to recapture it's former glory.

So yeah, that's an odd choice putting Jodie Whittaker on the cover if she has been making noises about moving on...
Yeah, sorry. Got confused with the April Fool’s earlier this year.

But yes, it’s been all over the UK newspapers that she is leaving. Time flies, but she’s actually been in the role about the same time as the previous three Doctors, so it isn’t that controversial.

I almost ran a Dr Who one-shot using Fate Core, but time got in the way and I shelved it.
I've always been interested in the rpg, but there's nothing in the game mechanics that jumped out to me that I'm not already using Fate Core to portray.
So I'll probably just stick with the Fate Core rulebook and numerous Dr Who gazeteers for resources.
Still, I quite like the products that Cubicle 7 produces, and I wish them all the best with this.
Hopefully consolidating their focus down to Warhammer and Dr Who will mean that they don't drop any other game lines.
From what I have read, they are doing a good job with Dr Who, and the game mechanics support the setting quite well.
I must admit, that 'TARDIS-cover' collectors edition has caught my attention...
It may be a coincidence, but I’ve just started an in-prompt Doctor Who game online recently, but may probably have to use Fate rules mainly because the Doctor Who chassis isn’t really supported on Roll20. I thought it would be simple enough, but actually it is the traits that take the hardest work to put online. Fate is actually all set up already, and feeform traits is easier to organize.

I think I did comment somewhere above, I think, that it is actually a good design development to ditch the shopping list of traits. The game simply doesn’t need them.

Yeah, sorry. Got confused with the April Fool’s earlier this year.

But yes, it’s been all over the UK newspapers that she is leaving. Time flies, but she’s actually been in the role about the same time as the previous three Doctors, so it isn’t that controversial.

I've heard rumors that they'll keep her on for a fourth season to save the regeneration for the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who in 2023. Who knows?

So, here's my thought about the limited edition box and book.

The box looks like a pretty good idea for a limited. I personally don't like the door lids, but I get it. It makes sense given what they're doing.

I don't like the book inside. That cover is just... yuck. Once again, I understand the intent, but I don't like the end result, and that's largely to do with what the cover is trying to faithfully replicate.

What I think would be better is maybe a cardstock insert with the picture of the interior of the TARDIS. Underneath that would be the book, perhaps with a special cover featuring all 13+ Doctors.

Both print editions are now available for pre-order, and the PDF is out!

Regular print edition here, collector's edition here, and the PDF edition here.

Note that pre-ordering either of the print editions will give you immediate access to the PDF edition. I pre-ordered the collector's edition, and look forward to reading the PDF this weekend!

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back