Legendary Member
Reaction score
Because how else do you discuss that twist! :O

I did NOT see that coming.

Great start.

Stevethulhu

Lose 1d20 San
Reaction score
Best series opener in a long time. And I saw the twist coming seconds before it was revealed. But only when the guy said, "You got me."

Shame Lenny Henry was a guest star. He's been my pick for the new Doctor since Tennant announced his departure. I know it's been done before that a guest went on to land the lead role. But it was only once. And it didn't end well.

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score
Uh, yeah. Wow. Really well done twist, and congrats to the BBC for managing to keep it in their pants for once. I hadn't thought they'd go back to that particular well quite so quickly, but they pulled it off.

Rest of the episode, it was silly in just the right sort of way to be Who, and it was nice catching up with everyone again.

I do hope someone in their script team queried using "Vor" as the name for the evil totally-not-Google organisation. "Vor is more powerful than some national governments", "Vor sneaks into every corner of modern technology"... it sure does, BBC. It sure does.

dokel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I do hope someone in their script team queried using "Vor" as the name for the evil totally-not-Google organisation. "Vor is more powerful than some national governments", "Vor sneaks into every corner of modern technology"... it sure does, BBC. It sure does.
I assume it's derived from the same latin root (as in vore hentai - I assume that's what you mean), meaning to eat :smile:

Good episode. It seems like DW maybe got its edge back.

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score
Well, then. They finished that one off pretty well. I was very impressed.

dokel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Good second part. Potentially cool season arc - hope they don't fuck it up.

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score
This week's episode was some good running about doing Doctor Who things, but did you GET the SUBTEXT at the end? You might have missed it, they were being VERY SUBTLE about it.

Stevethulhu

Lose 1d20 San
Reaction score
This week's episode was some good running about doing Doctor Who things, but did you GET the SUBTEXT at the end? You might have missed it, they were being VERY SUBTLE about it.
No more subtle than The Green Death. Or The Sun Makers. Or Daleks, come to think of it. Subtlety is not one if Who's stronger suits.

But, a fun episode and local boy Spencer Wilding gets creature and creature movement credit. Not bad for a 6'5 kickboxer turned rubber suited stunt performer.

Last edited:

dokel

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think the beating-you-over-the-head bit right at the end was unnecessary, in that it didn't seem to be giving the audience a lot of credit ("er, yeah, we get it..."). But I'm certainly not opposed to Who being used as a vehicle to say stuff about stuff.

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why they should be subtle about it given how serious the situation is.

Sci fi has always addressed current issues. You might as well complain about every star trek episode ever.

I enjoyed it. I twas another great episode.

Ghost Whistler

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I think the beating-you-over-the-head bit right at the end was unnecessary, in that it didn't seem to be giving the audience a lot of credit ("er, yeah, we get it..."). But I'm certainly not opposed to Who being used as a vehicle to say stuff about stuff.
Given the situation it was highlighting i think was - and is - very necessary

Ladybird

TRAHR
Reaction score
I don't see any reason why they should be subtle about it given how serious the situation is.

Sci fi has always addressed current issues. You might as well complain about every star trek episode ever.

I enjoyed it. I twas another great episode.
No, no. I like the show, I liked the episode, and I like that the writers clearly have something they want to say, as you say sci-fi has always done it. I'd just rather it had been more integral to the storyline than just an "oh shit!" moment at the end.