Does anyone solo game here?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Bunch

The other Mods are geese!
Reaction score
I can't always get my group together for games and even when I do they aren't always interested in the games I'd like to try. I know it's not uncommon for wargamers to play both sides in solo play.

I've played the D&D adventure system games solo and picked up Descent 2bd edition, mage knight, and Warhammer quest card game to try. Any other suggestions or games folks have liked for solo play?

There's a pretty cool game that can be played solo called One Deck Dungeon. It has a nice and simple set up where you 'explore' to put out four dungeon 'doors', then enter a door to see what lies behind it. It could be a monster or trap and if you defeat it the cards can then be used as treasure, experience or new abilities. It's very neat.

You can play solo or play two against the deck with one box, or a party of four with two sets. The deck acts as a natural burn-down counter and once it is empty you find the stair to the next level of the dungeon or the final 'boss' encounter. Every deeper level applies a boost to the traps or monsters and the game is pretty hard, actually! You can level up your character over multiple play-throughs and that is pretty much the only way you'll ever get to the end of the quests. Even the 'basic' dungeon is basically impossible to do in one pass. Each instance of the game takes 30-60 minutes depending on how long you survive.

I bought the game to take with me when I travel on business and it's great fun, easily set up on a desk in a hotel room and a worthwhile challenge.

I do, despite having a board game group. Both actual solo games (Barbarian Prince is a favourite) and multiplayer games.

I'd like to do more of this myself. It strikes me that some of the cooperative board games (as per my thread) are also playable solo. I think some even say "One or more players." Hmm ...

Sadly many coop games are essentially solo games where the best optimizer determines what everyone should do for the best results.

Some give individuals hidden side goals that make them more of a multiplayer game.

I play a ton of Legendary (especially the Marvel version) solo. It's my "geek solitaire".

I'd like to do more of this myself. It strikes me that some of the cooperative board games (as per my thread) are also playable solo. I think some even say "One or more players." Hmm ...

I've had a good time playing Arkham Horror solo a number of times. The card and board expansions add variety too.

Sadly many coop games are essentially solo games where the best optimizer determines what everyone should do for the best results.

That's entirely true. A lot of those games work best when you have an entire group that is really going to roleplay the board game rather than optimize. It only takes one player to ruin that though.

I'm reminded of a friend coming by my place with an old copy of The Game of Life back in the early '90s. No. Actually it was his place. This was before he moved out, and I moved in. Anyway, we started playing and within a few turns it somehow became cyberpunk. The mansion was redefined a Orbital Heaven and the retirement home was Dirtside. Which of us could do what necessary to make the leap? The "Uncle" character, which shows up on a lot of event cards became a Finn-like fixer. It was one the most fun games I ever played even if it ended with me being double-crossed and doomed to live out my days as a mudcrawler.

Yeah, the whole "alpha player" issue absolutely ruins a lot of co op games.

Games that avoid that issue for me:

Space Alert, because you don't have time to micromanage other players.

Sentinels of the Multiverse works if you just play with hidden decks.

Knizia's Lord of the Rings gets around this because nobody knows what anyone else has in their hand.

Runebound was good for this. I've played the ASL starter kits solo and have had good fun.

Mysterium avoids this with it's mage guessing mechanic and the random draw of cards to use for images.

I was looking at One Deck Dungeon, thanks for the recommendation.

I play the solo card game Onirim and it is great, there's a digital app version as well.

Reactions: dbm
I started a thread about a game that is playable solo, Space Empires 4x. I haven't played it yet because it's been out of print, but I will buy it shortly.

I started a thread about a game that is playable solo, Space Empires 4x. I haven't played it yet because it's been out of print, but I will buy it shortly.
It looks interesting. For me a solo game has to have a strong visual component which SE 4X seems to be lacking. But I'm very interested in hearing your thoughts because if the game play is good enough I can always work around the chits.

As soon as I get it and try it out I will post a review.

Totally understand about it having a weak visual component, though.

Two Hour Wargames makes a number of games that you can solo with. My main focus of their games is All Things Zombie, which you can play solo or with friends and instead of being the GM, you can join those same friends participating in the game.

I ordered Space Empires 4x but I accidentally sent it to my old address. I totally wanted to spend five hours on the bus next week, though. Really.

Oh I'll get it. Already made the arrangements. It's my own damned fault anyway.

I have it, but haven't played it. Will try a solitaire game soon.

There's three kinds of solitaire scenarios in the two products (Space Empires 4x, SE: Close Encounters). One is against doomsday machines that are generated every few turns to attack your empire. They will destroy your planets if you let them. Fortunately, you have time to explore, expand, and build up your technology and fleets before they start attacking.

The second kind of solitaire scenario is against "alien empires." Basically, the game has these flowcharts to determine how they spend their resources, allocate their fleets, do their research, etc. They don't use the full rules that player empires use, but it works for providing a worthwhile opponent.

The third kind of solitaire scenario is against space amoebas. You have a grace period like with doomsday machines before they get really aggressive, but eventually they start dividing and spreading into your empire. You have to research each variety (there are three) to determine how to destroy them, and you're under a time constraint given that they double their numbers somewhat frequently. They can't move, but they don't have to when the new amoebas appear in adjacent hexes.

I will try the doomsday machine scenario first, hopefully tonight or tomorrow (hard to have time/space around here).

As far as components go, they're pretty. Not elaborate, but pretty. One thing I'm looking forward to is the hex-sized/shaped terrain counters in the second expansion (Replicators). Right now you put face down counters in every playable hex, and when you explore the hex you reveal what's in it - minerals, planets, black holes, supernovas, and even one-shot "danger" that can destroy your ships. The new counters in Replicators will mean once you flip over the counter, you replace it with the hexagonal counter, which will make the map prettier and give you more room for other counters in each hex.

As far as existing components go, the art on the counters is nice if a bit simplistic. The planet names are kind of fun in that many are from science fiction, from Star Trek to Stargate.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back