Does personality type or profession inform game preference?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I think I’m an introvert and probably classify as one but people have told me I talk a lot. I think it just had to do with comfort level of who I’m around. I’m shy around new people but once I settle in, I can be a motor mouth.

I am actually really talkative and boisterous, and enjoy being around people if I like them...

But you know, once I've done that I need a day or so to myself to not deal with anyone else.

Dealing with people really depends on the people. Dealing with extreme introverts or extroverts are draining. You're either pulling teeth to get a conversation going or fighting to get a word in while being constantly poked to pay attention.

At least that's what it's like for me.

My definition for the difference between introversion and extroversion isn't really necessarily shyness, or lack of social graces/confidence, rather just that some people feel energized by interacting with lots of people...and other people feel drained by it, to the point it takes more effort than it's usually worth.

My fiance's an extrovert. For some reason I tend to end up dating extroverts, more often than not. But it's good for someone in the relationship to not recoil from and avoid the phone...

I don’t really like talking on the phone at all, especially to strangers. I have driven to places to talk to somebody instead of calling.

I've noticed I have a form of... tone blindness? I can't read people's emotions from their voice unless I know them pretty well. I read facial expressions and body language really well but I can't tell how people feel about something from just voice unless it is exaggerated. I can do text communication fine because it feels like we are all at the same level of understanding. But when I talk to people on the phone I feel like they know more than me and I get anxious.

So like, there is a short list of people I can talk with on the phone and not feel uncomfortable. And it is all people I've known for an incredibly long time. My wife, my parents, my brother, and my kids.

It is kind of not very useful, I always question the weird 3 things it decided were important to measure (the 4th being just whether you focus on the 2nd or 3rd). Plus sense they are all spectrums, people can be super near the middle on a lot of them and then trying to put them in a box makes no sense.

(I'm weird in that I am actually pretty solidly on one side on most of them, My INT are very very far to one side. I do flop between P and J though as I'm fairly close on those, though more often than not I test as P, and the one time I took a long form one that wasn't a silly internet one back when I was a kid, I got INTP).

I also thought the questions were pretty transparent, it was very easy to game your reponses to make it look like you were a better worker than you actually were! Most of my responses to the questions if I was honest would be 'it depends in the day...'

Bit late, I guess, but:

Games: Dungeon World, FATE, Microlite20, B/X
Profession: public school teacher for 23 years; now teaching at a residential therapeutic academy for teens. I also write plays.
Personality type: INFP-A (mediator)

Evidently, that’s a rare result (due to the A, I guess?)

I’m a snowflake...:-/

Here are mine:

Games: Cepheus Engine/Traveller, Call of Cthulhu, various OSR games, Cyberpunk 2020, BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia D&D, ORE (Reign/Godlike/Wild Talents/etc), Savage Worlds, other more niche games
Profession: Project Manager
Personality Type: INTJ-A (Architect)

I'm not sure if there is any connection, though being an introvert that likes creating structure and planning, I guess it makes sense that I'm not as drawn to the more fiction-first collaborative styles of RPG. I am the kind of gamer that finds the recon, research, and planning stages of adventures and missions fun, especially when I can use what I learn to execute a successful operation, and that definitely tracks with what I do for a living.

Favorite game(s): Are Magica, OWD Vampire: The Masquerade, Mage:The Ascension, RoleMaster, MERP, Rune Quest, medieval (historic) fantasy home-brew
Profession: licensed professional massage therapist (sports/medical)
Personality: INFP-A (The Mediator)

Favorite game(s): Call of Cthulhu, Savage Worlds, OpenD6, Mage: The Ascension, Unknown Armies (1st and 2nd editions, not the new one)
Profession: Librarian
Personality: INFP-A (The Mediator)

I'll bite

Fave games: Tunnels & Trolls, 13th Age Glorantha, 4e D&D, 5e D&D, Feng Shui. Nostalgia for Runequest & Traveller.
Housing Manager
ENFJ (Teacher)

My definition for the difference between introversion and extroversion isn't really necessarily shyness, or lack of social graces/confidence, rather just that some people feel energized by interacting with lots of people...and other people feel drained by it, to the point it takes more effort than it's usually worth.

My fiance's an extrovert. For some reason I tend to end up dating extroverts, more often than not. But it's good for someone in the relationship to not recoil from and avoid the phone...
That's my understanding ,and also my experience, kind of. My wife is INTJ (mastermind) so I tend to be the face of our party, but she can turn on the sociability when she wants to or its important, but is then tired by it.

I've no idea, I'm INFP or J, or something. Don't feel like retesting right now.
Job: Disabled, formerly customer service for different things--and enjoyed it most of the time. Also, a writer of RPG's now as well.
Fave Games: MSH, Marvel Saga, T&T, Talislanta, High Valor, Hearts & Souls, Supers!, Spirit of the Century, Adventure!, uhm..I can go on for days.

ISTP with some ISFP tendencies.
Business analyst, ex computer programmer.

Based in the games that I have spent money on:
Shadowrun 1st to 4th
FFG SW
WFRP 2
L5R

In reality I love to tinker with almost any rules set but do not go for Pbta games or d100 systems.

One other thing, I prefer gaining in small groups up to GM and 4 players max or solo gaming, than playing in a large group.

Last edited:
ISTP with some ISFP tendencies.
Business analyst, ex computer programmer.

Based in the games that I have spent money on:
Shadowrun 1st to 4th
FFG SW
WFRP 2
L5R

In reality I love to tinker with almost any rules set but do not go for Pbta games or d100 systems.

One other thing, I prefer gaining in small groups up to GM and 4 players max or solo gaming, than playing in a large group.
Interestingly I am your (almost) polar opposite personality type wise, and I also prefer a maximum of GM+4 players. I also enjoy solo play as my extensive collection of T&T paraphernalia attests.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back