Does personality type or profession inform game preference?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical of personality classifications in general, and I've taken MBTI a bunch of times and seem to get a different result each time.

My E/I ratio went something like 51/49.

It is kind of not very useful, I always question the weird 3 things it decided were important to measure (the 4th being just whether you focus on the 2nd or 3rd). Plus sense they are all spectrums, people can be super near the middle on a lot of them and then trying to put them in a box makes no sense.

(I'm weird in that I am actually pretty solidly on one side on most of them, My INT are very very far to one side. I do flop between P and J though as I'm fairly close on those, though more often than not I test as P, and the one time I took a long form one that wasn't a silly internet one back when I was a kid, I got INTP).

My bad, I placed the LOL react thinking it was a statistics joke. I even had a few statistics puns prepared. Ah well.
It's not really significant - we shouldn't be mean-spirited about it. It's perfectly normal to distribute such puns around, so we don't need to poisson the well.

Favorite Games: Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, Street Fighter, gonzo-style D&D
Profession: Disabled for over 10 years, failed writer/publisher, still trying.
Myers-Briggs: ENFJ-t (Protagonist) Very, very close to 50/50 except for 70% N and 92% t.

Favorite game(s): Savage Worlds, SWN, OSE, City of Mist, Blades in the Dark, WEG d6, FASERIP, 5E, and Alternity
Profession: Pilot
Personality: ENTP

Ok, this is me at this present time:

Favorite games:
* BRP (Mythras, CoC, RQG, OQ, SB/MW);
* 2D20 (Conan);
* Fate Core (homebrews);
* D&D (5E, AiME, Fateforge, Low Fantasy Gaming, 13A, DCC)

Profession:
* Employment: State Government Health Department (Community Mental Health):
Permanent role is Clinical Case Manager, but currently in higher duties as Senior Clinician.
* Qualifications: Bachelor of Health Sciences (Nursing); Masters of Psychiatric & Mental Health

Personality:
* INFP-T (The Mediator)

Sounds about right
:thumbsup:

Are you sure this isn't a dating app?
heh heh :grin:

Last edited:
and gaming groups often last longer heh heh :grin:

There needs to be an 'Cautiously Uncertain' emoji to react to that, heh heh :grin:

Last edited:
I bet you would be great at a police procedural game like Gurps Cops or Delta Green!

Yeah, I once played in a Pathfinder 2e game, and figured out the killer almost instantly. It was pretty unfortunate haha.

I still had a lot of fun though :smile:

I mostly GM, so I try to put interesting mysteries in my games. I really need to run Delta Green.

I ran the Murder At The End of Time scenario from Time Ship once. The players figured out the "mystery" in under ten minutes. Nowadays I just make up the mystery as it goes, that way it always goes the right length of time and ends the right way (TPK).

Favorite game(s): I can't pick. I like most but I have a hard time getting into games that fall into the story game area.
Profession: Stay at home Dad, former software and chemical engineer dabbling in real estate and other investments
Personality: ISTP-T (Virtuoso)

CONAN uses 2D20?

ooohh yeeeaaahh :grin:

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Profession: Physician

A surgeon, judging by your handle? You know, I'm something of a physician myself...

Favorite game(s): D&D 5E, Dragon Age RPG, Dragon Warriors (notice a pattern?), Five Torches Deep, Savage Worlds
Personality: INTJ-T (Architect)

hqdefault.jpg

I don't think the rules I play tells you about my approach to gaming (and life) as much the rules I don't play. I generally avoid "collaborative" "story-telling" games where players get to decide the outcomes of their actions/rolls. To me, the world has rules, and as a person, you have control over your own actions, but you don't have control over what happens as a result of your actions, and to play in a game where you can decide what happens (as a player) just doesn't appeal to me. Curiously, I have no problem having to decide what happens as the result of other people's actions as a GM. Go figure.

A surgeon, judging by your handle? You know, I'm something of a physician myself...

Favorite game(s): D&D 5E, Dragon Age RPG, Dragon Warriors (notice a pattern?), Five Torches Deep, Savage Worlds
Personality: INTJ-T (Architect)

hqdefault.jpg

I don't think the rules I play tells you about my approach to gaming (and life) as much the rules I don't play. I generally avoid "collaborative" "story-telling" games where players get to decide the outcomes of their actions/rolls. To me, the world has rules, and as a person, you have control over your own actions, but you don't have control over what happens as a result of your actions, and to play in a game where you can decide what happens (as a player) just doesn't appeal to me. Curiously, I have no problem having to decide what happens as the result of other people's actions as a GM. Go figure.

the-office-jim-and-pam-high-five-gif.gif

Yeah, as far as playstyle goes... I almost exclusively play newer games, but I have an oldschool mentality: I don't have a plan. There is no 'storyline". I build a world, and I ask my players to make characters that fit into that world, and then I set parts of that world on fire and see which ones the players rush to put out. The goal is to reach a perfect Zen state where all of the problems on the players' agendas are either the status quo of the world they live in, or the logical consequences of their decisions to change it.

I can't railroad the players if there aren't even any tracks for them to follow, and the players can't derail a train that doesn't even exist.

Favorite games: Classic Traveller, PDQ games, Barbarians of Lemuria, John Carter of Mars, Talislanta, Solar Blades & Cosmic Spells, Hollow Earth Expedition & just about everything pulpy I can get my hands on.
Profession: Enterprise Architect
Personality: INTP/j

Favorite games: fairly rules-light, traditional; fav genres: post-apocalyptic, pulp adventure, western; gamesystems: OSR, BRP/d100, BoL, 2d6, CineUni, etc.
Profession: underachiever
Personality: INFP-T

I noticed I'm rather hesitant to fill in extremes on lots of the MBTI questions and I only do it when it's an extremely clear Agree or Disagree.
I'm also very swingy because my answers are usually heavily dependent on circumstances and mood.
Some of the explanations after the test seem quite on point.

Yeah, as far as playstyle goes... I almost exclusively play newer games, but I have an oldschool mentality: I don't have a plan. There is no 'storyline". I build a world, and I ask my players to make characters that fit into that world, and then I set parts of that world on fire and see which ones the players rush to put out. The goal is to reach a perfect Zen state where all of the problems on the players' agendas are either the status quo of the world they live in, or the logical consequences of their decisions to change it.

I can't railroad the players if there aren't even any tracks for them to follow, and the players can't derail a train that doesn't even exist.

That summarises my whole philosophy as a GM: I create a world, you create characters that inhabit this world, your characters interact with the world, and the world interacts with your characters, and we watch and have fun as these make-belief characters go around doing stuff.

Knowing what exist in the game world and how the game world works is therefore vital. If you have a pretty good idea of who and what are where and how the various parts work with each other, then a lot of the "plot" just follow.

Last edited:
INTROVERTS UNITE!

...um, from a safe, comfortable distance. Probably cozy at home surrounded by books. We'll just send emails....
So "Introverts, unite separately:grin:?"
That summarises my whole philosophy as a GM: I create a world, you create characters that inhabits this world, your characters interact with the world, and the world interacts with your characters, and we watch and have fun as these make-belief characters go around doing stuff.

Knowing what exist in the game world and how the game world works is therefore vital. If you have a pretty good idea of who and what are where and how the various parts work with each other, then a lot of the "plot" just follow.

We need to compare notes with you two. That's my philosophy as well...down to "using lots of newer games", and calling it "an almost Zen/Tao state", too:thumbsup:.
Though I usually skip the Zen reference and just call it Spider Refereeing these days. The setting is tied together by invisible threads of spidersilk, and when you cross one of them, the GM knows what happens and what repercussions are incoming down the line, including at what speed.
And the game that exemplifies this style is, to me, Legends of the Wulin. It's right there in the mechanics. What's the best part if it is, those mechanics are tansparent on the players' side, and they even make the players keep your notes regarding their characters:devil:.
Not necessarily something I'd want in every campaign, but it really drives the point home:shade:.

INTROVERTS UNITE!

...um, from a safe, comfortable distance. Probably cozy at home surrounded by books. We'll just send emails....

I think I’m an introvert and probably classify as one but people have told me I talk a lot. I think it just had to do with comfort level of who I’m around. I’m shy around new people but once I settle in, I can be a motor mouth.

I think I’m an introvert and probably classify as one but people have told me I talk a lot. I think it just had to do with comfort level of who I’m around. I’m shy around new people but once I settle in, I can be a motor mouth.

Yup, it takes effort to get to know me, but once we're close, I'm very talkative

Do imposter syndrome; self-doubt; perfectionism and handwaviness; lack of ambition, direction and motivation fit in with the INFP-T profile?

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back