Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I feel the same about the older D&D mechanics. There's nothing wrong with them whatsoever, but I'd just prefer a modded version. Maybe like Beyond the Wall which I also think would be a cool fit for Dolmenwood. Plus, I tend to like lower fantasy stuff.

Incidentally, I also love Magic World and OpenQuest. Two very underrated gems!

What I've read so far from Dolmenwood is class everything just drips with atmosphere (I bought the whole pdf bundle!). I love the art too! I think my girlfriend is going to love it as she really love those kinds of dark forest tales. But I might actually use OSE - Just so she can have the cool old school BX experience. :smile:

Do we have a release date for those two Dolmenwood books?? Sorry, if I've missed it in the thread. Take my money!!
They're doing updates and freebies via Patreon apparently. I'm not a member so all I know is that it's 'in progress'.

The actual rules of D&D OSR don't float my boat, but I do like the overall vibe of OSE however.

I want to run a 'Dark Fable' homebrew set in a bavarian forest-like location - think 'Lord Dunsany meets Brothers Grimm meets Brian Froud'.
Dolemwood looks close enough to save me alot of work, so I'm wondering if the upcoming Dolemwood Campaign Book may be a good fit for this.
It certainly sounds like it captures the kind of thing I am looking for.

I am more likely to run my 'Dark Fable' game in a lite version of BRP (Magic World or OpenQuest), so I don't think I'll need the D&D OSR stats used for OSE.

If the Dolemwood Campaign Book is relatively stat-free, then it looks like something I might grab.
I love the art direction of Dolemwood. The original classic art on the Wormskin zines mixed in with some of the art posted here would be really great.
I'm very impressed how Dolemwood captures the flavour of what I have been wanting to homebrew, and I'm happy to support Necrotic Gnome just for Dolemwood alone.
One of the good things about OSE is that stat blocks are very light, so while it won't be stat-free, I think there will be enough value in it for people looking to convert. Based on the content in Wormskin, I expect even the mechanical parts will be full of flavor to steal rather than wasted space. I think it would work great with BRP.

They're doing updates and freebies via Patreon apparently. I'm not a member so all I know is that it's 'in progress'.
Even if you're not supporting the material via Patreon, there's pretty frequent updates on the non-subscriber Dolemenwood channel on Necrotic Gnome's Discord "page". For what it's worth the qualitty of the material coming out has been very good and a lot of it. If you're really into the setting and can spare the change it's been a good investment from my perspective.

There's something about an immersive micro-setting like this, that often works so much better than a broader macro-setting.
Especially drawing on whisps of folklore and fable here and there, it feels like an extension of a pre-existing world, yet has the freshness of discovery that you get in a new setting.

In my mind there must be a major urban region somwhere, but that's not important because you are in Dolemwood, and that might as well encompass everything. But if there is an urban centre off-stage and off-map, then I'm sure I've finally found a location for Gormenghast! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
There's something about an immersive micro-setting that works so much better than a broad macro-setting.

Especially drawing on whisps of folklore and fable here and there, it feels like an extension of a pre-existing world, yet has the freshness of discovery that you get in a new setting.

In my mind there must be a major urban region somwhere, but that's not important because you are in Dolemwood, and that might as well encompasses everything.

But if there is an urban centre off-stage and off-map, then I'm sure that's where Gormenghast must be :thumbsup:
I've been running a game set in Dolmenwood for 2 years (using Magic World) and it tickles the part of my brain that found the movie Legend so compelling way back when - who is this princess? What's the name of the kingdom? How did she meet this toothy forest boy, raised by wolves? How did people live next to this forest haunted by the Devil incarnate? Who gives a shit! Its the mythic primeval forest bitches. Deal!

The best part about the setting (aside from the sheer imagination it took to dream it all up) is that it's just sketched in enough that you can bend it into other shapes without busting it. However if you need everything spelled out in painstaking detail, it might not be all that satisfactory.

We wrapped Isle of the Plangent Mage last night and the campaign. While the players really enjoyed each game two players didn't like the rule lightness of character building in OSE and one felt burned out on fantasy. Which is a bummer because having each character that survived be shaped by adventures and the magical experiences they had instead of character building mechanics was a lot of fun for me. If the group had wanted, I would have taken them to the Isle of Dread next.

Of the original six characters, three made it all the way to the end (although all had fishy Dagon mutations of course). We had six PC deaths and three henchmen bite it. We had a paladin shaped by his time trapped in a magical sword so you couldn't tell where his personality ended and the sword's began, a shark skinned blubber covered halfling in plate who was super tough, a Lost Boy growing up, an absent minded wizard without a shadow and who always acted last, and more.

Good times.

This looks pretty goo, it's not out yet but its gettin g closer....
I'm not big into D&D OSR/OSE, but I do like the flavour of Dolemwood as a setting.
I am considering running BRP (Magic World or OpenQuest) in this setting, so I might just pick the Campaign book up.
However this line looks like it's gonna be pretty good for lovers of OSE: Dolemwood books

I'm not big into D&D OSR/OSE, but I do like the flavour of Dolemwood as a setting.
I am considering running BRP (Magic World or OpenQuest) in this setting, so I might just pick the Campaign book up.
However this line looks like it's gonna be pretty good for lovers of OSE: Dolemwood books
I've been following the Dolmenwood previews on Patreon, and it should be useful for other systems. I'm considering converting it over to WFRP.

Nick runs Dolmenwood in Magic World and it’s awesome. My only warning would be to know what you’re getting. Dolmenwood is a deep, tangled mystery that takes years to really figure out what’s going on. Things that take place may appear random before you really begin to put things in order.

Ahh The Eternal Questions and Mysteries of Threadfalls and Typos...

Are 'Goo' and 'G Closer' merely here for one night only? Or are they here to inherit the mantle from 'Swo'...?

Swo may have been the first, but if won't be the last. The Invasion of the Typos, they are here amongst us!!! :grin:

Last edited:
I've been following the Dolmenwood previews on Patreon, and it should be useful for other systems. I'm considering converting it over to WFRP.
Oooo, that’s a good idea. Where were you thinking of putting it?

Oooo, that’s a good idea. Where were you thinking of putting it?
I hadn't thought about that yet. Off the top of my head, I might stick it in a quiet corner of Talabecland.

I hadn't thought about that yet. Off the top of my head, I might stick it in a quiet corner of Talabecland.
Well, since Talabecland is the WHFRP equivalent of Delaware that's probably a good place to spice up.

Unfortunately, everything that I wanted to get from Exalted Funeral was either out of stock before the sale started, or isn't included in the sale.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back