Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Kickstarter for Old School Essentials: Advanced Fantasy expansion is up.

You know, I have no interest in the system, but I really love the format and design of those books.

The only two books containing new stuff for me would be the Treasures and the Monsters book and I think I can do without those. I'd rather they had done the Dolmenwood Kickstarter first :wink:.
I wonder will there be a box + those two books pledge or similar.

Of course I'm already getting it regardless.

The only two books containing new stuff for me would be the Treasures and the Monsters book and I think I can do without those. I'd rather they had done the Dolmenwood Kickstarter first :wink:.
I now find myself tempted to back for the two new books anyway... since I won't be backing They Came From Beyond The Grave and some of the monster illustrations look cool. :tongue:

I'd like to know if we can add the GM screen as an add-on. Anyone already own this? I assume it doesn't cover any of the Advanced Fantasy rules?

3rik 3rik yeah, Gavin has said that the GM screen will be available as an add-on.
I'm not sure what rules are actually different in Advanced Fantasy. All the new races/classes/spells/monsters/treasures aren't stuff you'd have on a screen. The referee screen includes:
Left Panel: Downtime, Dungeons, Wilderness, and Encounter procedures.
Middle Panel: Combat, PC and Monster Attack Matrix, Weapon Stats
Right Panel: Saving Throws, Movement, Class Abilities (Turn Undead and Thief skills), Equipment (encumbrance and AC)

Maybe there are some extra class abilities that would be nice to include with the Turn Undead and Thief tables, but the rest of the material should be the same whether playing classic or advanced.

I belief there's some optional combat rules in the Advanced Fantasy: Genre Rules book. Other than that I can't think of anything.

Well, with the GM screen as an add-on option I might pledge for just the two new books (Monsters and Treasures). Hopefully shipping will be reasonable.

A wiser option would probably be to wait for the Dolmenwood KS and add the GM screen to my pledge there, if possible...

And I see Gavin just posted this:

Gavin said:
No, there are no plans currently for an Advanced Fantasy screen.

The currently available referee's screen has everything you need to run Old-School Essentials (either Classic or Advanced). About 85% of the space on the screen is taken up with core rules and tables for adventuring and combat. The remaining 15% is saving throw and class ability tables for the Classic Fantasy classes. As the manufacturer we work with physically can't print screens any wider than the current one, adding class info for the Advanced Fantasy classes would mean removing half of the core rules and tables from the screen, which isn't a worthwhile trade-off.

Previews of the Advanced Books up now. Since I never really played AD&D they're just a bunch of cool new monsters for me. Interested in others thoughts.

Screenshot_2020-09-22 Advanced Fantasy Monsters v0-15 pdf.jpg

The magic items are the newness for me: I've had an AD&D Monster Manual since 1980 or so, but I have never fully read the DMG (and only picked up a copy a few years back).

Hmmm, it's about a 9 page conversion document at the moment. Mostly I just altered character creation to account for the new cultures/species. I give my own take on a Magic World Grimalkin, divide Highwolders and Brackenwolders into their own distinct ethnic groups with slightly different cultural skills. Sort of codified the various magic traditions: Witchcraft=BRP Witchcraft, Drune=Modified Deep Magic (and they are almost exclusively an NPC faction), Dwarves are Runecasters, fairies use Fey Magic from Advanced Sorcery, "Elves" as PCs are more like the Halflings from Jack Vance's Lyonesse novels; essentially indistinguishable from normal humans, but with some fey blood and some latent magical powers (Elves as Gavin Norman lays them out are far more fey and I borrowed heavily from the Sidhe in Val-du-Loup). The Church of the One True God is a faux-christian, "Thirty Years War" religion that is staunchly anti-magical/anti-heretical, a little corrupt, and borrows heavy inspiration from movies like The Witchfinder General. Toss in some Cakebread & Walton Renaissance firearm rules and season to taste.

I didn't imagine it being of interest to anybody else but myself, but when I'm done ironing out the kinks I'd be happy to share it with you or anybody else (I've also been working on a version of my form-fillable character sheet tailored for the aforementioned species/cultures, that will automatically fill in the notes section with the appropriate skill adjustments, special abilities, and rules alterations to hopefully cut down on having to flip through a rules document during play, but it's not quite done yet.)
Love to see this

Hmmm, it's about a 9 page conversion document at the moment. Mostly I just altered character creation to account for the new cultures/species. I give my own take on a Magic World Grimalkin, divide Highwolders and Brackenwolders into their own distinct ethnic groups with slightly different cultural skills. Sort of codified the various magic traditions: Witchcraft=BRP Witchcraft, Drune=Modified Deep Magic (and they are almost exclusively an NPC faction), Dwarves are Runecasters, fairies use Fey Magic from Advanced Sorcery, "Elves" as PCs are more like the Halflings from Jack Vance's Lyonesse novels; essentially indistinguishable from normal humans, but with some fey blood and some latent magical powers (Elves as Gavin Norman lays them out are far more fey and I borrowed heavily from the Sidhe in Val-du-Loup). The Church of the One True God is a faux-christian, "Thirty Years War" religion that is staunchly anti-magical/anti-heretical, a little corrupt, and borrows heavy inspiration from movies like The Witchfinder General. Toss in some Cakebread & Walton Renaissance firearm rules and season to taste.

I didn't imagine it being of interest to anybody else but myself, but when I'm done ironing out the kinks I'd be happy to share it with you or anybody else (I've also been working on a version of my form-fillable character sheet tailored for the aforementioned species/cultures, that will automatically fill in the notes section with the appropriate skill adjustments, special abilities, and rules alterations to hopefully cut down on having to flip through a rules document during play, but it's not quite done yet.)

That sounds right up my alley! (I really should loom into Magic World and Advanced Sorcery some day.)

For anyone curious, this is just some adaptation notes and house rules that I made to tailor Magic World for Dolmenwood. There's references to other BRP monographs and supplements (Val-du-loup, Witchcraft, and Renaissance by Cakebread & Walton). Hopefully somebody can make use of it.

Magic World/Dolmenwood Gazetteer https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f37z3poj6qkmgd/House Rules & Gazetteer(v5).pdf?dl=0
Custom Magic World Character Sheet (lots of Javascript functions, etc.) https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9bp29y411wh011/Dolmenwood CS (form-fillable).pdf?dl=0
Fungi & Herbs compatible with BRP/Magic World https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgj9v5dngq02q92/Fungi & Herbs of Dolmenwood.pdf?dl=0

For anyone curious, this is just some adaptation notes and house rules that I made to tailor Magic World for Dolmenwood. There's references to other BRP monographs and supplements (Val-du-loup, Witchcraft, and Renaissance by Cakebread & Walton). Hopefully somebody can make use of it.

Magic World/Dolmenwood Gazetteer https://www.dropbox.com/s/1f37z3poj6qkmgd/House Rules & Gazetteer(v5).pdf?dl=0
Custom Magic World Character Sheet (lots of Javascript functions, etc.) https://www.dropbox.com/s/t9bp29y411wh011/Dolmenwood CS (form-fillable).pdf?dl=0
Fungi & Herbs compatible with BRP/Magic World https://www.dropbox.com/s/wgj9v5dngq02q92/Fungi & Herbs of Dolmenwood.pdf?dl=0

This is great thank you. Would work well in Lyonesse as well.

I am playing in Nick’s Dolmenwood game now and it is fantastic. He has breathed life into the setting and tweaked available rules and setting components to make Dolmenwood really feel like a fairyland. Highly recommended!

Sounds like a cool McCarthy-ish adventure for OSE.

Preview versions of the character class and magic chapters from the Dolmenwood book are up on the Necrotic Gnome Patreon.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back