Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Well, they are all official AD&D classes. Svirfneblin is a second edition AD&D class, so maybe you can quibble. but all the rest are straight-up first edition.
I could have sworn deep gnomes were in Unearthed Arcana as a playable race? They were definitely written up in the Fiend Folio.

Was there ever an Underdark variant of halflings, by the way?
The 3E version of Forgotten Realms had deep halflings. I'm not sure if they have survived into further editions.

I could have sworn deep gnomes were in Unearthed Arcana as a playable race? They were definitely written up in the Fiend Folio.
I just double-checked. You are correct. They are in there.

Perhaps by not adding the most obvious extra (racial) classes, OSE intentionally distinguishes itself from other OSR games? Or there may be another reason for specifically adding playable Underdark races.

Last edited:
Perhaps by not adding the most obvious extra (racial) classes, OSE intentionally distinguishes itself from other OSR games? Or there may be another reason for specifically adding playable Underdark races.
I think Gavin just likes them. :smile:

I think Gavin just likes them. :smile:
And they're popular!

It's all about pop-u-lar! You'll hang with the right cohorts, you'll be good at sports, know the slang you've got to know. So let's start, 'cuz there's an awfully long way to go!

I'll show myself out.

So I kickstarted the thing and I just got the email with a peek at the prototype for the Drow class from the stretch goals. Pretty cool! It's basically a normal elf with cleric instead of magic-user spells, an affinity for spiders and an aversion to bright sunlight. It seems well-balanced with an interesting twist. I don't see any alignment restrictions, and I hope it stays that way.

So I kickstarted the thing and I just got the email with a peek at the prototype for the Drow class from the stretch goals. Pretty cool! It's basically a normal elf with cleric instead of magic-user spells, an affinity for spiders and an aversion to bright sunlight. It seems well-balanced with an interesting twist. I don't see any alignment restrictions, and I hope it stays that way.
I imagine there won’t be any alignment restrictions at all. They’re using the old three alignment system after all. Law, Neutrality, Chaos.

I expect there will be restrictions for the paladin, so it wouldn't have been shocking to see them for drow. It's all still in prototype form, though, so things may still evolve.

Is this particular set of classes based on a specific source? I haven't really seen other OSR games with more than the basic classes add drow, duergar and svirfneblin.

It looks like it's "all official AD&D races and classes as of Unearthed Arcana, minus the monk, who might be spun off into their OA equivalent."

It looks like it's "all playable AD&D races and classes as of Unearthed Arcana, minus the monk, who might be spun off into their OA equivalent."
Gavin's also vaguely suggested there might be books that detail variant classed for the major races in the future. I'm glad to hear that, as variant race classes are a great feature of races as class. Having multiple elf classes is more interesting to me than simply having elves all using the same classes as humans.

I'm glad to hear that, as variant race classes are a great feature of races as class.
I feel like there are two approaches to class: super-general (i.e. warrior, rogue and wizard), or super-specific (e.g. robot knight, blood wizard, priest of Crapulus, etc.). The latter approach makes race-as-class a bit more comfortable, since you can have elven enchanter, elven ranger, etc.

I got my copy of Winter's Daughter yesterday. It's nice book. It's tough to get a hardback that small to lay flat, but as it is short, losing your place really isn't much of an issue.

I can't wait for the Post-Apocalyptic book. I wonder will it be a B/X version of some edition of Gamma World.
In interviews Gavin said it's going to be a Mad Max-like affair. There may be a book for adding mutants and such later.

The Advanced rules book will have a Race option. So for example there will be a Race-as-Class Drow and then optionally Drow as a race:

The Advance Fantasy books are really good. The bits that have been previewed are just the tip of the iceberg. The Illusionist Spell list is beyond interesting, and the optional race as class additions blew me away.

Augh! What am I doing? I just preordered everything for OSE.
What are you doing? You are making a purchase that is fantastic in itself, but also sure to be supported by more fantastic products from Necrotic Gnome in the near future. Cast all doubt from your mind!
The Advance Fantasy books are really good. The bits that have been previewed are just the tip of the iceberg. The Illusionist Spell list is beyond interesting, and the optional race as class additions blew me away.
I've been following all your previews so far. I don't know whether to thank you for doing a great job or curse you for making the wait more unbearable.

Either way, welcome to the Pub. Good to see you here.

I'm glad to be here, thank you. You are not the first person to tell me that. The good news is the PDFs are going out at the end of the month.

I'm glad to be here, thank you. You are not the first person to tell me that. The good news is the PDFs are going out at the end of the month.
Okay. I think I can manage that.

Then the wait for the Dolmenwood book begins...

I'll have plenty to do before then though.
Yeah, and I have no shortage of quality gaming material to entertain myself with until then as well. Still, I am really looking forward to that book.

The OSE PDFs?

The Advanced Fantasy PDFs.

Advanced Fantasy Progress

Just a very quick update here. The recent wave of intensive proofreading was extremely productive. In the coming weeks, I'll be updating the PDFs with all of the suggestions from the proofreaders who gallantly poured their time into reading through the books. In late July, after the orders in BackerKit have been locked down, I'll send out pre-release PDFs of the Advanced Fantasy books to those of you who have ordered them.

They're integrating our proofreading feedback at the moment.

The Advanced Fantasy PDFs.

They're integrating our proofreading feedback at the moment.

Ah, OK. It wasn't clear to me how the PDFs worked for folks who missed the KS but preordered.

Ah, OK. It wasn't clear to me how the PDFs worked for folks who missed the KS but preordered.

Yeah. Most people haven't seen the Advanced Fantasy books yet. A few people have 'cuz they asked for proofreaders, but otherwise they'll go out when backerkit locks

What about the main book(s)? I got the tome, and I wasn't sure if I got PDF access in advance of October.

What about the main book(s)? I got the tome, and I wasn't sure if I got PDF access in advance of October.
The regular books are already out to people who backed the Kickstarter. I imagine once they charge you you'll get 'em. Your card hasn't been charged yet, yeah?

Backers have been given the main PDFs on DriveThru (not the Advanced book yet), and they are gradually getting updated with more art over time. I'm not sure if pre-orders involve the same set-up.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back