Domain management in Mythras (RQ)

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Llew ap Hywel

Lord of Misrule
Reaction score
So a quick plea for assistance.

Is there a domain management supplement? I know about empires but was thinking something equivalent to ACKs.

Thanks

There was one for Mongoose Runequest II — MRQII Empires — that's 100% compatible with Mythras. Unfortunately, and unlike most MRQII supplements, it has not been re-released for Legend.

There was one for Mongoose Runequest II — MRQII Empires — that's 100% compatible with Mythras. Unfortunately, and unlike most MRQII supplements, it has not been re-released for Legend.

I do have that one but I'm ashamed to say it's in my small list of haven't read purchases. Too many shiny things...

Anyway how detailed is it? Will it let the players get the feel of building their own domain/kingdom ala PFs Kingmaker?

I'm not familiar with Kingmaker, but probably not. :sad:

It's fairly abstract — less like ACKS than Sine Nomine's domain management ruleset (An Echo Resounding) or what appears to be its major inspiration, Greg Stolze's Reign RPG and its Company rules.

It stats up domains ("provinces") not unlike characters, with attributes measuring population, wealth, religiousness, military capability, etc.

Multiple provinces make up an empire, and the supplement even provides stats for three of them IIRC — the Roman Empire, not sure which period; the Bright Empire of Melniboné; and the Middle Sea Empire ("God-Learners") of Second Age Glorantha.

It's been a while since I've last read it, I could be forgetting or misremembering some details.

I'm not familiar with Kingmaker, but probably not. :sad:

It's fairly abstract — less like ACKS than Sine Nomine's domain management ruleset (An Echo Resounding) or what appears to be its major inspiration, Greg Stolze's Reign RPG and its Company rules.

It stats up domains ("provinces") not unlike characters, with attributes measuring population, wealth, religiousness, military capability, etc.

Multiple provinces make up an empire, and the supplement even provides stats for three of them IIRC — the Roman Empire, not sure which period; the Bright Empire of Melniboné; and the Middle Sea Empire ("God-Learners") of Second Age Glorantha.

It's been a while since I've last read it, I could be forgetting or misremembering some details.
It's an excuse to read deeper

I think the MRQII Empires combined with the House rules from SIFRP/Chronicles give a lot of great ideas to kitbash an abstract system. I know my players really thought the SIFRP House rules were fun, they keep wanting me to meld it into Mythras.

I was discussing my game idea with one of my group and he suggested that I incorporated a Kingmaker like element to it.

Emerging from sanctuary, the characters (and later their tribe) will be claiming land in a recovering region.

The gist of the game is exploration and realm building in a recovering post apocalyptic sandbox setting. I've plenty of events and locations to throw at them but I really want the players to feel that their actions have a tangible result on their nascent kingdom.

CRKrueger CRKrueger, that's a second recommendation for Empires so I'm going to have to read properly. Do you think ASoIaF can be useful in the setting above.

I think the MRQII Empires combined with the House rules from SIFRP/Chronicles give a lot of great ideas to kitbash an abstract system. I know my players really thought the SIFRP House rules were fun, they keep wanting me to meld it into Mythras.

That's interesting because ASoIaF is one of the many settings I've considered running with Mythras. I might have to look into SIFRP.

As an aside, there is another supplement for MRQ that uses the same basic system at a lower scale called Guilds, Factions and Cults. If your players lead something like political factions, cults or thieves guilds in your world and you want more mechanical backing for them than the Brotherhoods and Cults chapter of Mythras, this is a pretty good purchase.

Thanks but I was thinking something more in line with Kingmaker. A way to keep score on how well their building their domain.

Thanks but I was thinking something more in line with Kingmaker. A way to keep score on how well their building their domain.
Sure. I was just mentioning it as an aside. Empires is the right one for your purposes. I believe there is both an MRQI and II version of the book, but I can't remember if there is any real difference. In fact, I may own both. I'll have to take a look when I have time.

Sure. I was just mentioning it as an aside. Empires is the right one for your purposes. I believe there is both an MRQI and II version of the book, but I can't remember if there is any real difference. In fact, I may own both. I'll have to take a look when I have time.
I'm sorry I haven't got it, sounds like it could have served well in other campaigns.

MRQII Empires is good for domain management.

You have a number of abstract characteristics for each province/unit and can merge them together to make Empires/Kingdoms etc. I would probably add a few more characteristics, to make it a bit crunchier. You probably need to work out how raiders/plagues/disasters and so on affect each territory, but that is fairly easy.

MRQII Empires is good for domain management.

You have a number of abstract characteristics for each province/unit and can merge them together to make Empires/Kingdoms etc. I would probably add a few more characteristics, to make it a bit crunchier. You probably need to work out how raiders/plagues/disasters and so on affect each territory, but that is fairly easy.
I think some level of abstractness can be a good thing in a domain management system. If it is too concrete, it can make the world too mechanistic. Still, there is some room to add more crunch to Empires.

It would be a fair bit of work to adapt to D100, but I've always thought the Realm management rules in Birthright were pretty much the gold standard for this. They're just tightly tied to the setting. Removing things like the bloodline score, bloodtheft, the awnsheglien, realm magic, etc., would leach most of the flavour out of it and make the system awfully simple.

I wonder if perhaps that's the key: generic domain management systems just aren't as engaging as ones that implement the setting in the mechanics. If find Reign's Company rules pretty bland, but looking over the options in Birthright for forging new ley lines, tapping sources in other provinces, using your bloodline strength to enforce your rulership on the land - those are meaningful choices for players.

Birthright was one of my favourite settings.

I'm mostly just looking for a meaningful way for the players to keep track of their characters actions in establishing a new realm.

It would be a fair bit of work to adapt to D100, but I've always thought the Realm management rules in Birthright were pretty much the gold standard for this. They're just tightly tied to the setting. Removing things like the bloodline score, bloodtheft, the awnsheglien, realm magic, etc., would leach most of the flavour out of it and make the system awfully simple.

I wonder if perhaps that's the key: generic domain management systems just aren't as engaging as ones that implement the setting in the mechanics. If find Reign's Company rules pretty bland, but looking over the options in Birthright for forging new ley lines, tapping sources in other provinces, using your bloodline strength to enforce your rulership on the land - those are meaningful choices for players.
That's a good point and ties into why I generally prefer to domain systems be a little bit abstract. It makes it easier for the GM to add those kind of campaign specific decisions to the system.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back