Doodling D&D

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
Ha, it's funny you guys bring up the Gnoll, I'm currently re-drawing that one as I am distinctly unsatisfied with how mine turned out

I like it. In 5e, they tend to dual weild, because Yeenoghol (SP) is the two headed Demon God, so they emulate that with him. But this is a unique take on it, and I always appreciate that.

I like it. In 5e, they tend to dual weild, because Yeenoghol (SP) is the two headed Demon God, so they emulate that with him. But this is a unique take on it, and I always appreciate that.

I don't know much about their lore, I seem to recall they were little dragon-dog guys back in the day. But I liked the idea of a hyena-like head, and I love morningstar flails

I don't know much about their lore, I seem to recall they were little dragon-dog guys back in the day. But I liked the idea of a hyena-like head, and I love morningstar flails
They change it all the time. They've always been Hyena men, but 5e links them much more closely to their 'God' Yeenoghu. But the lore has been all over the map otherwise. So, really, you do you!

I think that's more AD&D Kobolds (lizard-dogs) that went from very vaguely doglike to chihuahuas of great evil and trap-focused evil. Mind you, I could be wrong (the dragon thing has grown over time, I don't recall gnolls being tied to dragons much) But as Chris says, their lore IS all over the map. Nowadays people play kobolds who in games who are "cutesy" there is even a meme about it.

1576137735645.png

Ah, you are correct, that was Kobolds I was thinking of...

My Kobold, when we get to him, isn't going to be anything like that....

I once played a Kobold assassin, called Axl. Because the Drow 'House Boy' once mentioned that he was the only thing the Kobold was good for was axle grease. One week before a tragic gardening accident.

Axl then stole some Dark Elf eating daggers and decided to leave, to find out what is a fish. As he'd never seen one. He wasn't cute.

Ha, it's funny you guys bring up the Gnoll, I'm currently re-drawing that one as I am distinctly unsatisfied with how mine turned out
Weird...I like the one with the glaive better.

So, funny thing I jusy discovered as I was making my way through thew latest batch of sketches - I suddenly reached the "J"s and noticed that I had not drawn an Illithid - because they are not in the Monstrous Manual!

However, someone ( AsenRG AsenRG ) said they were anticipating this one, and it's such an iconic D&D monster that I decided to do one anyways...

Illithid

Illithid rsz.jpg

Last edited:
It kinda sucks that we're limited to 100 KB for attached photos - I'm looking at that now, and the shrunk version really doesn't do it much justice. I'm periodically posting these on my website in full resolution - worth a look for some of the more detailed drawings like Mr Illithid there.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back