Dragon Pass Scenario 2 Bunch vs BlackWolf vlog

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

BlackWolf

Reaction score
"Before Argrath's return, the Lunar army incorporated Sable clan warriors in a last try to take Boldhome. The empire commanders hoped these new troops would give their attack a decisive tactical edge."
Dragon Pass Scenario 2.
The High Tide

6 game-turns (Missile & Melee only)

Lunar player deploys and starts first, placing the following anywhere outside old Sartar.
- The entire Native Furthest Corps (NF).
- The entire Cavalry Corps (CC).

Sartar player deploys second, to anywhere within old Sartar.
- The entire Sartar City Militia (CM).
- (3) 4-5-5s of the Sartar Free Army (FA).
- (4) 4-3-5s of the Barbarian Horde (green units).

Lunar win if he controls Boldhome at the end of the game, or if he controls at least 5 Sartar
fortresses.

Sartar win if he controls Boldhome and at least 3 other fortresses.

Draw if neither player satisfies the above conditions.
At the start of play, the Lunar player controls the 3 Sartar fortresses outside of old Sartar, and
the Sartar player controls the 4 Sartar fortresses within old Sartar

Bunch Bunch pick your side. :thumbsup:
looking this over. Probably going to pick Lunar so my old distracted brain doesnt get confused. I've realized another thing I did wrong. I can place troops in Sartar just not in old Sartar.

This is going to be put off a bit as I repair the laptop I use for vassal. Ubuntu upgrade when wrong somewhere.

This is going to be put off a bit as I repair the laptop I use for vassal. Ubuntu upgrade when wrong somewhere.
I'm also on linux. Vassal doesn't work with Java version superior to 8. It has something to do with a function implementation that changed. So If you want to use it on ubuntu you have to set it to Java 8. I don't know how it is on ubuntu, but on archlinux I have a function to change the java version on the go.

I have a laptop with Ubuntu on it. Up until a month or two ago it was running 14.something. It was past EOL I believe and I wanted to get casting from chromium working so I upgraded to 16.something which I believe was almost EOL'd. Yesterday it was becoming unstable and I finally decided to upgrade to the latest LTS version 18.04.3 I believe. Well the login window manager won't recognize passwords. I'm slowly going through two dead versions of Ubuntu detritus to hopefully get to a working version without a full reinstall from new. I might try archlinux if I can't get traction on it this week. Their philosophy sounds nice.

We derrailed a bit haha.
But In my experience Ubuntu always does this, every update wasn't 100% and it was better to wipe the hard drive and start anew. I don't know what is your lever of knowledge, but If you are a bit lazy like me when it come to config hardware I suggest using Manjaro(I use the Architect version), It's archlinux that does some basic configuration automatic for you, It's way more accessible and works great.

I'm also on linux. Vassal doesn't work with Java version superior to 8. It has something to do with a function implementation that changed. So If you want to use it on ubuntu you have to set it to Java 8. I don't know how it is on ubuntu, but on archlinux I have a function to change the java version on the go.
Is that pacman you use to install/uninstall different versions of Java? Pacman’s got me thinking of trying Archlinux.

Is that pacman you use to install/uninstall different versions of Java? Pacman’s got me thinking of trying Archlinux.
You use pacman to install other versions of java, but to change the version you call the helper script archlinux-java set javaversion, and you ca check the ones you have installed with archlinux-java status. More info here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Java

I just type
sudo update-alternatives --config java
And select the number associated with Java 8 (in my case #2) and things work peachy.

Lordy Ubuntu is silent about having the wrong DNS server setup. I swear if you ever are using it and using apt-get and for some reason you can't quite make out things are not working look at /etc/resolv.conf and make sure it's using a good DNS server. Could have saved a couple hours if I'd started there.

I did a Lunar setup. Ran into an issue where I put units in the wrong location and due to a mouse issue I couldn't delete them correctly. I moved the unwanted units to Dead and redid the setup.

Attachments

• DP-Scenario2-LunarSetup.txt
    6.1 KB · Views: 1
Deployment finished.
We can start.

Attachments

• Sartar Deploy.txt
    4.5 KB · Views: 1
Turn One. So far a pretty crushing defeat for the Lunar forces from the plains of Prax. The seige of Jonstown has begun. Will the Sartar forces stay and defend or retreat?IMG_20200131_135503-01.jpeg

It's unnecessary but putting it in the table screen makes me feel more like I'm playing a board game.

Attachments

• Scenario2Turn1Lunar.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Dude, this screen is awesome, loved the setup!
I'm staying in Jonstown. And yes you were correct in only being able to attack 1 stack at time. Really like the simple resolution on Prax, maybe we should keep the least casualities house rule, just to keep the pbp more dinamic.

"Even though the battles went well for the Sartarites on near the plains of Prax, the true siege of Jonstown was about to begin. The troops posted there would fight bravely waiting for their brothers."

Attachments

• Turn 1 - Lunar Turn - Sartar Segment on Jonstown Battle.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 0
I'm staying in Jonstown. And yes you were correct in only being able to attack 1 stack at time. Really like the simple resolution on Prax, maybe we should keep the least casualities house rule, just to keep the pbp more dinamic.

"Even though the battles went well for the Sartarites on near the plains of Prax, the true siege of Jonstown was about to begin. The troops posted there would fight bravely waiting for their brothers."
Continuing the battle. Your Archer rolled a 6 and disrupted one of my strong cavalry. What order do you want the stack in? Archer,footman,footman
Footman, footman, Archer
Or
Footman, archer, footman?

Regarding the table. I built it for doing exactly this as well as VTT(Fantasy Grounds) RPGs.

You're the first person to play against me since I finished it so the first time I've really used it for it's intended purpose.

It's a standard HD TV but not 4k. I think 4K would have been better. Better resolution would have been nice.

Go with footman, footman, archer.

The setup is really nice already, you can always upgrade in the future if you like. :thumbsup:
I think people will be amazed.

Siege of Jonstown

The footmen are trying to hold but the Lunar forces are looking strong.

Attachments

• Scenario2Turn1LunarPt2.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 2
Go with footman, footman, archer.

The setup is really nice already, you can always upgrade in the future if you like. :thumbsup:
I think people will be amazed.
It is nice. In some ways better than I planned. I was given the tv so that's how I picked the size of it. I'm sort of the mind bigger is almost always better so I went with a 4x6' interior vault. With the tv that leaves a non TV surround just large enough to fit a 8.5x11" book without intruding onto the tv which is nice.

However it's overall dimensions are quite large. The non vault edges are each 5.75" adding 1.5' to each dimension. 5.5'x7.5' takes up a lot of space and when playing physical games it can result in a lot of standing and reaching or passing between players.

Making matters a bit worse is the room itself is packed to the gills with gaming stuff so it's overall crampy in there

Siege of Jonstown
Had to do some corrections. You forgot some ruling and the terrain modifier on your side.
Check to see if I didn't missed anything too.

It is nice. In some ways better than I planned. I was given the tv so that's how I picked the size of it. I'm sort of the mind bigger is almost always better so I went with a 4x6' interior vault. With the tv that leaves a non TV surround just large enough to fit a 8.5x11" book without intruding onto the tv which is nice.

However it's overall dimensions are quite large. The non vault edges are each 5.75" adding 1.5' to each dimension. 5.5'x7.5' takes up a lot of space and when playing physical games it can result in a lot of standing and reaching or passing between players.

Making matters a bit worse is the room itself is packed to the gills with gaming stuff so it's overall crampy in there
If the room isn't hot the players will survive haha. It's nice that you can fit the books too, I thought the sideways were most for player accessories.

Attachments

• Jonstown Battle Correction Turn1.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 1
Had to do some corrections. You forgot some ruling and the terrain modifier on your side.
Check to see if I didn't missed anything too.

If the room isn't hot the players will survive haha. It's nice that you can fit the books too, I thought the sideways were most for player accessories.
Which modifiers? I thought I took missle into account but that might have been in the combat to the east. For melee I apparently don't get terrain modifiers during a counter attack due to the assumption of charging

Which modifiers? I thought I took missle into account but that might have been in the combat to the east. For melee I apparently don't get terrain modifiers during a counter attack due to the assumption of charging
Completely forgot about the assumption of charging. But your unit don't get disruption, you reduce the missile by 1 because of the hills.
The counter attack will be strong tough, making you lose 2 units. I gotta correct my correction now.

This is the correction after the correction. :hehe:

"The Jonstown Battle was so fierce that rumors about it's outcome couldn't agree upon the result" said the people of the regions years after the war.

Attachments

• Jonstown Battle Correction 2 Turn1.txt
    5 KB · Views: 2
Btw, let me know when It's my player segment.
I think it's yours now right? I did my combat I can't really troops this turn so it will have to wait until next.

I think it's yours now right? I did my combat I can't really troops this turn so it will have to wait until next.
I don't have computer handy. Did you do your turn 1?

I don't have computer handy. Did you do your turn 1?
I'm on it, just correcting some stuff again my militia was eliminated in Jonstown and finishing the movement. I will leave a post when I finish it.

Lunar counter attack on Pimper's block.
To the north Missile fire from the remaining unit. Before we go on to Jonstown

Attachments

• Turn 1 Sartar Player Segment.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 1
If the choices are pretty obvious feel free to make them and move on. You hitting a button or me doesn't really matter to me.
With Missle Fire You can use the following logic.
1) most likely to succeed. So if I have an option between to stacks and one doesn't have a terrain advantage Ill attack that.
2) Most powerful unit group. Missles don't have to overcome a CF to do their damage so might as well take out the big guys if you can.

You have to decide which stack to counter attack in Jonstown. This can be important since It's a fortress.

"The Sartarites showed the first signs of their thunderous culture dealing with some threats in Prax and holding Jonstown for another day."

Attachments

• Turn 1 Sartar Player Segment part 2.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 1
Lunars remained focused on the fortress undistracted by the relief forces but fail to breach the fortress.

I'll continue on to my turn later today

Attachments

• Turn 1 Sartar Player Segment part 2-Lunar CA.txt
    5 KB · Views: 1
So assuming we are using Random Events I just rolled Event 55 you get 10 DPs to assign to Dragonnewts. I havent read anything about using DPs yet and dont have the rules handy. I'm going to proceed with my turn assuming whatever that gets you takes place on your segment not mine.

I made a movement mistake and corrected it. if you prefer to play once you take your hands off it(in my case move to the next segment) it's committed I don't mind playing that way just let me know.

I attacked Jonstown with the CF4 & 5 units adjacent and did 6CF damage. Do you want me to remove the archers or the footmen?

Last edited:
Footmen.
And don't worry, I'm fine by playing on my segment only. Just follow you heart on the best counter move I would do. I think it will be better for PbP instead of we pausing the game everytime on turn segment.

Footmen.
And don't worry, I'm fine by playing on my segment only. Just follow you heart on the best counter move I would do. I think it will be better for PbP instead of we pausing the game everytime on turn segment.
I would if it were trivial but in this case losing the ducks would mean you would still have a strength 3 unit in their for next turn meaning if your counter attack knocked out a unit I'd be less like to take the city the turn after. But it would have meant you were pretty much guaranteed to lose the ducks this turn.

Finished the turn. Failed to take the city.

Attachments

• Turn 2 Lunar Player Segment.txt
    7 KB · Views: 1
Finisihed my turn.

"The troops have clashed a few times but with yet no clear outcome. The battle rages on trough Sartar, the people worry about their beloved ones."

Attachments

• Turn 2 Sartar Player Segment.txt
    7.6 KB · Views: 1
Sartar scum will kneel before the might of the Lunar

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back