Dreamland RPG: Looking for Testers!

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

mockman

Well-Known Pubber
Reaction score
Hi all,

The week before last I finished the Quickstart PDF for my game system, Dreamland... on Friday I finished writing up an adventure which I've been using for playtests. The game is out there and I'm looking for folks to test, read and run it!

48-page Dreamland RPG Quickstart PDF - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyowl4rt6ojamll/Dreamland-Quickstart-3-13-23.pdf?dl=0
30-page adventure "The Paradise of the Unchanging" - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lww3y0xsh0ye0a/Dreamland-The Paradise of the Unchanging 3-25-23.pdf?dl=0

Dreamland is a card-based RPG inspired by HP Lovecraft and Lord Dunsany's Dreamlands stories, as well as by other fantasy authors like Italo Calvino and Michael Ende. Beyond time and space lies Dreamland, an ancient world formed from the hopes and fears of humanity; and you are a dreamer, one of the rare few who can enter Dreamland with consciousness intact. Spending Memories of your waking life to create Marvels, fighting Nightmares and monsters, you journey on perilous roads through deserts and jungles, to the lairs of strange peoples, beasts, and dragons…or perhaps even further than this, east of the sun and west of the moon.

Dreamland cards are set up on Tabletop Simulator and playingcards.io; links are in the Quickstart. The Quickstart PDF contains rules, 24 character Roles, and how-to-play comics (see images). "The Paradise of the Unchanging" is a Dreamland sandbox adventure with wilderness rules and a mini-bestiary of monsters.

I've been working on this game on and off since 2014 and it's exciting to get it out there in a Quickstart. I'd be grateful if you check it out, and love to hear feedback and questions!

Many thanks,

Jason Bradley Thompson
dreamrpg.com

Attachments

• map-paradise-of-the-unchanging 3.jpg
    map-paradise-of-the-unchanging 3.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 8
  • howtocomic-45-small.jpeg
    howtocomic-45-small.jpeg
    793.1 KB · Views: 9
  • charactersheetp1-lowres.jpeg
    charactersheetp1-lowres.jpeg
    948.2 KB · Views: 8
  • dreamlandcover-lowres.jpg
    dreamlandcover-lowres.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 6
  • tts screenshot small.png
    tts screenshot small.png
    908.3 KB · Views: 7
In more shameless self-promotion: we finally did a Dreamland RPG actual-play video!! 3 hours of character creation (which takes the first 30 minutes) plus an adventure, "Dreamland: The Island of Devils". Please check it out!

Hi all,

The week before last I finished the Quickstart PDF for my game system, Dreamland... on Friday I finished writing up an adventure which I've been using for playtests. The game is out there and I'm looking for folks to test, read and run it!

48-page Dreamland RPG Quickstart PDF - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyowl4rt6ojamll/Dreamland-Quickstart-3-13-23.pdf?dl=0
30-page adventure "The Paradise of the Unchanging" - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4lww3y0xsh0ye0a/Dreamland-The Paradise of the Unchanging 3-25-23.pdf?dl=0

Dreamland is a card-based RPG inspired by HP Lovecraft and Lord Dunsany's Dreamlands stories, as well as by other fantasy authors like Italo Calvino and Michael Ende. Beyond time and space lies Dreamland, an ancient world formed from the hopes and fears of humanity; and you are a dreamer, one of the rare few who can enter Dreamland with consciousness intact. Spending Memories of your waking life to create Marvels, fighting Nightmares and monsters, you journey on perilous roads through deserts and jungles, to the lairs of strange peoples, beasts, and dragons…or perhaps even further than this, east of the sun and west of the moon.

Dreamland cards are set up on Tabletop Simulator and playingcards.io; links are in the Quickstart. The Quickstart PDF contains rules, 24 character Roles, and how-to-play comics (see images). "The Paradise of the Unchanging" is a Dreamland sandbox adventure with wilderness rules and a mini-bestiary of monsters.

I've been working on this game on and off since 2014 and it's exciting to get it out there in a Quickstart. I'd be grateful if you check it out, and love to hear feedback and questions!

Many thanks,

Jason Bradley Thompson
dreamrpg.com
This sounds fantastic, but seriously dude, get out of my head. I have bits and pieces of a game in development that sounds very similar to yours, right down to me reading Italo Calvino. I will certainly give yours a read. :thumbsup:

This sounds fantastic, but seriously dude, get out of my head. I have bits and pieces of a game in development that sounds very similar to yours, right down to me reading Italo Calvino. I will certainly give yours a read. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Well if your game is also inspired by Italo Calvino, I'm sure it will also be awesome! ;) You should post about it!! (You probably already have been and I missed it > _ < )

Personally the one game that I've recently(-ish) read and thought "Agggggggghhh I wish I had written that myself, it feels like it's channeling my interests" was Luka Rejec's Ultraviolet Grasslands. It also has that exotic travel feel. I've even been working on a "journey to the end of the world" adventure for Dreamland. Hopefully the end of the world is a big enough place that multiple people can write about it.

Really love the concept and the worldbuilding you described in your post!

Can we get a quick TL;DR on the core mechanics? I'm curious about it being card driven!
Sorry it took me literally weeks to respond to you! I was out of the country in a place with (unexpectedly) very, very bad internet. And I wanted to share some images to show how the game works, so I needed decent bandwidth to upload them!

Dreamland is set in the world of stories and myths, so dreamers perform most major actions by telling stories and using flowery fairytale language: by using Word Cards. Basically, players can draw Word Cards from a pool that the DM replenishes, and by using them to describe their actions (in-character or out), they get bonus points for skills, powers, etc.

The risk of using Word Cards is: most of them belong to one of the Five Pillars of Dreamland (Wonder, Loathing, Mystery, Faraway and Passion). Whenever you use a Pillar Word, you have a risk of Breaking the Pillars of Reality and causing some bizarre and dangerous effect. So the more Pillar Words you dare use, the greater the danger. You can of course succeed at your chosen action, while also triggering some deadly side effect.

At the same time, though, different Roles (character classes) are drawn to different Pillars and get bonuses for using Pillar Words in certain ways. So a Soldier will want to use Loathing, a Guide Faraway, and a Painter Wonder. The question is how many Pillar Words to gamble in pursuit of whatever your goal is... and also, what weird fairytale narration the players will come up with while using the Words and describing what they do.

There's more, about Memories and Marvels, but this is the core mechanic! Now that I'm back from overseas, I hope to do drop-in games every 2 weeks on the Discord if anyone's interested in an invite.

Attachments

• howtocomic-40.jpg
    howtocomic-40.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • howtocomic-41.jpg
    howtocomic-41.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 6
  • howtocomic-42.jpg
    howtocomic-42.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • howtocomic-43-small.jpeg
    howtocomic-43-small.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • howtocomic-44-shorter-small.jpeg
    howtocomic-44-shorter-small.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3991 small.jpeg
    IMG_3991 small.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Hi all! If anyone is curious, I'm running Dreamland RPG playtests on Discord + roll20 on alternating Thursdays. This week's will be the first! Thursday June 8, 8PM PST. I'd love to have you there!

Here's a Discord link --> https://discord.gg/dSyJTjdN

Hello all! Event registration has just opened for GenCon Online, and me and my friend Ronny are running an ambitious SEVEN Dreamland games! If you are interested in trying out the game, and you want to do some online gaming on August 3-6, please check them out! https://www.gencon.com/events?search=dreamland

The full list of games is:

** The Paradise of the Unchanging: To save the city of Olathöe, a group of dreamers must go into the unknown.
Thursday, August 3, 10:00 AM PST

** Necromancy on Mount Aphasia: Work as a vampire’s familiar to retrieve the body of an executed hero from a cursed kingdom at the top of a mountain.
Friday, August 4, 2023 10:00 AM AND Saturday, August 5, 2023 6:00 PM

** Party Planning at the Isles of Gasps: Explore the Islands of the Devils to collect everything you need to throw an epic boat party for eccentric royals.
Friday, August 4, 2023 6:00 PM

** Spiders and Knife Murder Mystery: Investigate the peculiar murder of a local student-athlete found covered in bug bites to discover the truth of what really happened. Saturday, August 5, 2023 10:00 AM

** The Palace of Memories: A curse has stolen the memories of the people of Astrakhan! Can you end the plague of amnesia?
Saturday, August 5, 12:00 PM PST

** A Golden Earache in Dreamland: Search for a missing princess cursed with gold growing out of her ears.
Sunday, August 6, 2023 8:00 AM

If you live outside the Americas, some of these times may be better for you than the usual late-night games I run on California time (PST). Please join me and Ronny and try out Dreamland -- and please register soon, the games are already filling up!

Hey folks! There are still spaces open in 3 of the 6 Dreamland RPG games that Ronny and I are running at GenCon Online. The open games are "Party Planning on the Isle of Gasps" (Friday August 4), "Spiders and Knife Murder Mystery" (Saturday August 5), and "The Golden Earache" (Sunday August 6). If you're interested in trying out our Lord Dunsany-inspired portal fantasy RPG, please sign up at the link! https://www.gencon.com/events?category=Role+Playing+Game&game=Dreamland&c=online2023

I'll check the vacation schedule with the master planner and see if I can make one of those sessions.

Hey everyone! I'm still playtesting away on my RPG "Dreamland", and I've got a few online games coming up.

Firstly, I'm running a game TOMORROW (maybe today when you read this), Thursday 10/5, 8PM PST! It'll be on roll20/Discord. Here's the Discord link: https://discord.gg/ASmKDKmM

Secondly, I'm DMing (Dream Mastering, of course) a game at GoPlayNW Online! The game will be Saturday 10/28, 7PM PST, also on roll20/Discord. Here's the GoPlayNW link to sign up: playnw.org/events/the-palace-of-memories/

Both of these games are total no-experience-required drop-in games. Come join up to play! To quote from my own text on the Dreamland website:

"There is another world beyond our perceptions, a world which few people know. Beyond time and space is the Dreamlands, an infinite world of wonder and terror, formed from dreams and hopes of humanity when the world's first great cities started to form. You are a dreamer, one of the gifted few who can travel to Dreamland with consciousness intact.

"In Dreamland, you might be a merchant, a snake charmer, a jeweler, a soldier or a queen.
Travel to marvelous cities, on perilous roads through deserts and jungles, to the lairs of strange peoples, talking beasts and monsters…or perhaps even farther than this, east of the sun and west of the moon. Dreamland is the ur-reality that fairytales and surrealists see but dimly: a timeless, ancient world where people act out archetypal Roles, where emotions and symbols are real magical forces, and where nightmares, beasts and relentless Abhumans intrude on the ever more isolated castles of humanity...."

See you there everybody! And I'll post more art when I finish it!

Hi all! I'm running the last Dreamland RPG playtest of the year this Thursday night, December 14, 8PM PST. Discord and roll20. Please stop by and try it out!

No experience necessary of course -- characters will be made as we go.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back