Drivethrurpg Harn Sale

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
I highly recommend HarnManor it has details on budgeting for and running a Manor in a nice elegant design. Think Traveller Starship economics except for Medieval Manor.

And Harnmaster has a unique combat system.

The important questions here
  • are there any particular mechanics I should get the core ruleset for?
  • what things are good from a system-neutral aspect?

Imagine Runequest, but without any hit points. Harnmaster is a percentile system with attribute scaled 3 to 18. However it combat system is unique and doesn't use hit points. Also the system is more grounded in medieval fantasy than Runequest.

I explain the details in my post A 911 call from the Attic.

Imagine Runequest, but without any hit points. Harnmaster is a percentile system with attribute scaled 3 to 18. However it combat system is unique and doesn't use hit points. Also the system is more grounded in medieval fantasy than Runequest.

I explain the details in my post A 911 call from the Attic.

sounds like I probably don't need the mechanics at all, and I should just enjoy the world

What's the world like?

sounds like I probably don't need the mechanics at all, and I should just enjoy the world

The setting is system neutral and works with a wide variety of fantasy RPGs. However mechanics have their own unique take on a medieval fantasy RPG and has the virtue of being quick to use during session. It achieves this by frontloading the number during character creation.

What's the world like?
Harn is the quintessential medieval fantasy setting. It the work of N Robin Crossby and share with M.A.R. Barker and Tekumel a similar story of how it came to be. The author made up the world based on their interest in history and fantasy prior to the advent of RPGs. Then when RPGs appeared decided to turn their imagined worlds into RPG settings.

Except Harn is rooted in Europe of the 12th century except with a polytheistic religion.

Columbia Games did a clever thing with the latest version of the Harn Map. They printed the traditional map of Harn on side and then for the back side created a overview of the setting.

You can download it and some other free Harn files from here

They give you a sense what the range of Harn products are like, some maps, and two short articles.

Plus even if you don't use Harn, the individual article are useful in adapting as various locations in your setting.

Harn is the quintessential medieval fantasy setting. It the work of N Robin Crossby and share with M.A.R. Barker and Tekumel a similar story of how it came to be. The author made up the world based on their interest in history and fantasy prior to the advent of RPGs. Then when RPGs appeared decided to turn their imagined worlds into RPG settings.

Except Harn is rooted in Europe of the 12th century except with a polytheistic religion.

Columbia Games did a clever thing with the latest version of the Harn Map. They printed the traditional map of Harn on side and then for the back side created a overview of the setting.

You can download it and some other free Harn files from here

They give you a sense what the range of Harn products are like, some maps, and two short articles.

Plus even if you don't use Harn, the individual article are useful in adapting as various locations in your setting.
Aaaand that pushed me over 2k! Thanks!

Yes! For a long time I tried keeping up with my purchases manually but now I just use the client.
Me too. The client used to suck pretty hard, screwing up a lot of the downloads (I think the checksum kept getting messed up). Doesn't seem a problem anymore.

The rule set is close enough that you can treat it as a BRP family game for plunder. As a BRP fan, it's always good to have another example of where you can take another path on things. For example, I've thought about using the HarnMaster wound system combined with the special effects in Mythras together, although that's all I've done is think about it. I haven't actually done it as a test in play. You could also use the layered armor and to hit roll chart in Mythras. For $4 I think it's worth adding to the pile of BRP compatible books.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back