Duelling Fops of Vindamere - Game Thread

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

A Fiery Flying Roll

Hating Dungeons and Dragons before it was cool
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ye Midwinter Balle

This year’s dance has something a little extra special going on. Tlonc, The Forever Frisky, Deity of Love and Ardor, has dipped their beard in the punch or something. As the great and good and just adequate of Vindamere gather to dance until dawn, love’s envenomed darts unerringly strike. Or, plainly: People fall in love. Deal with it.

(OOC: As well as your Instructor, you turn up with one Beloved. Decide whom and describe them both!)

Maximilian Crowp is a younger scion of the Crowp family, known for his duelling prowess, his prowess at duelling and all that kind of thing. He is tall and dark with a duelling scar across his cheek. He dresses in all black and his manner of dress is austere; the kind of austere only achievable with lots of money. He has a permanent scowl.

With him at this ball is his long suffering wife Priscilla Crowp. A rather mousey timid looking woman she dresses in a similar fashion but somehow on her it just looks a bit frumpy. Her expression can best be described as "a long practised air of pained tolerance".

Nigel Trickelbank strolls in, sword at his side to show that he serious about his lordly duties. He thinks he would look more dashing with a mustache but just can't seem to grow one. No one in his family, not even his father, the Lord Greensplatt, can.

At his side and two steps ahead is Patrina Trindlebottom. They are still technically engaged as neither of them wants to jump back into the scrum of courting. Maybe if Nigel could grow a mustache, they'd still be in love. Patrina's official reason for secretly breaking the engagement is that, after a life of being Patrina Trindlebottom, she doesn't think she can go the rest of her life as Patrina Trickelbank. But there must be more to it as in a few years she could switch to Lady Greensplatt, and who wouldn't want that?

1632774919073.png

Benito Trattulio arrives, resplendent in green and yellow velvet. He wears an enormous brimmed hat, also dark green, adorned with a pair of peacock feathers. He has a fine waxed moustache, twirled to points, which he has a habit of fiddling with when he's deep in though. He has an easy smile and manner, the sort only possible through the best tutors. That easy manner hides an sharp and often cruel wit which is on display both in his repartee and his satirical poetry.

He is accompanied this evening by his protégé, Georgio Battaglia, who recently won a pair of duels and is fine fettle. Georgio is already slightly drunk and hopes to instigate either a duel or a tryst before the night is through, perhaps both (although not all at once). Georgio is a short, broad fellow with oddly long arms (which he uses to great effect with a rapier in hand). He walks with the kind of strut common to short, confident men. He also has a moustache, very much a match for Benito's if not quite so splendid. This evening he is wearing blue serge with silver trim and had forgone a hat, which he tends to forget when he flees a bedroom.

Basil arrives slightly drunk and laying on his back, half-hanging off his horse.

He has unreigned it from among the four horses drawing his daughter Aumont's carriage.

Lolling on the horse's back he slides off with surprisingly agility, lands nimbly on his feet and bows deeply at the nearest lady, sweeping his long-feathered cap off in one single move.

The carriage straggles in after his arrival, Aumont, slim and dark, is beyond being embarrassed by her father's behaviour but she is still exasperated and despairs of finding a man willing to marry her despite the considerable family fortune and her generous dowry. She steps from the carriage, rejects her father's proffered hand with an annoyed wave and stalks up the stairs.

Basil laughs and follows behind her by several feet, greeting and kissing hands as he goes.

Last edited:
(OOC: And the only thing left to do is to roll off for the strike of Cupid's Arrow

Whom?—Each player rolls 1d6 to see whom their teacher has been suddenly smitten by. Count off players going clockwise, skipping yourself. The person on whom you land? Your character is now infatuated with your pick of whom they sent to the ball.

Order for Rolling:

Black Leaf
Stan
Fenris
Voros

I rolled a 1.)

"I need a bloody drink" mutters Maximilian as he strides purposefully into the ball, the long suffering Pricilla hanging onto his arm in the perhaps forlorn hope that this will be one night when Maximilian manages to avoid getting into a fight for utterly pointless reasons.

His eyes scan the room for a servant and some wine. And it is at this point that Tlonc plays his cruel game.

Maximilian's gaze stops. Is that Patrina Trindlebottom? Why, he hasn't seen her since she was a girl. And, it is fair to say, she is no girl now. Instead she is rather a filly, if he does say so himself.

"Max... Max...". A voice snaps him out of his reverie. "Look, they have those little sausages on sticks".

Ah, yes, his wife. This could make everything rather *complicated*.

Last edited:
ooc: "the long suffering Patrina hanging onto his arm" should that be Priscilla?

I rolled a 4.

Nigel downs a glass of something. He's not actually sure what it was but it smelled expensive. Patrina is off not subtly hinting that she'd like to dance. Nigel's thoughts return to what has been occupying them the most. How can the Strategy for Cromulent Enlightenment surpass the Subtle Stab Pass? Nigel knew the answer. He simply needed better students. People who can shine and champion his school.

That's when a short man happens to catch his eye. He doesn't seem like much at first glance. But those broad shoulders could carry the whole school. Those long, magnificent arms and, ooh that mustache. Nigel simply must have him! for his school.

Benito and Geogio relax by the ornate silver punch bowl, sipping the fruity concoction out of fluted crystal goblets while they scan the room to see who's here and in what condition. Benito laughs quietly to himself when Basil Applethorpe sways in, obviously already in his cups and begins considering some cutting remarks to deploy later. All thought of repartee flies from his thoughts when he sees Aumont swish in after him, dark and beautiful She steals Benito's breath away. "Great God Georgio," he says quietly, "look at what the Applethorpe girl has blossomed into. A veritable dark goddess! What a wonder." He stares at the girl as she makes her way across he room. "I must compose a poem Georgio! An ode to love and beauty. Perhaps I can convince her to dance..." Benito's mind sinks deep into variations on evocative verbiage as he starts mentally composing a sonnet for this gorgeous creature.

Rolled a 5, Patrina!

Basil spies Patrina across the ballroom and stands swaying for a moment as a look of bewilderment briefly flashes across his facade.

She was once a true love of mine when we were mere youths but I recognize her immediately. Many, many years have passed but she still has the delicate beauty I remember so well. Suddenly sober I steal my way through the throng and try to catch her eye without alerting her paramour.

A question for those with the rulebook. The competition rules are:

Competition
A lot of what the gentry do isn’t measured against quotidian common rubrics of success like “do I get
to eat today?” but, instead, against the relative success of their periwigged and codpiece-clad social equals.
All of you get to eat, ignore laws and dick around pointlessly, so what matters is, who did it best?
In competitive circumstances, two fops roll.
Did they both fail? They both look like asses. Much tittering behind fans impends.
Did one succeed and the other fail? It’s pretty clear how that panned out.
Did they both succeed? It’s kind of a draw in every practical sense, but whomever rolled higher is
believed when they claim to their friends that they really prevailed, in any sense that matters.
!

But it gives almost no guidance on when it's a competitive roll. Any thoughts on when this should be the case?

I would guess when we're both attempting the same thing vs. each other?

My first thought based on the text was 'opposed roll', yeah. However, not precisely against each other like a duel, but more in terms of competing for the same goal like we're both competing to impress the same damsel.

Makes sense. I'll move onto the next bit and I think we can decide as it comes.

My first thought based on the text was 'opposed roll', yeah. However, not precisely against each other like a duel, but more in terms of competing for the same goal like we're both competing to impress the same damsel.
Or possibly if one of us wants something to happen and the other doesn't; trying to sneer at someone etc.

What I'll do I think is list the possible actions each turn and the mechanics involved and then let people jump in as they choose. (Online I don't think we need a turn order). Feel free to make any necessary rolls whenever if it's going to influence how you write it up.

So, we're all at the Ball. We've all found that a certain young lady catches our eye (and Maximillian and Basil both have the same young lady in mind, which is always fun).

We all take an action with our instructor, then with the beloved we've taken to the Ball. Note that beloved stat modifiers only count when taking an action with that beloved and any stat changes affect our main character (guilt or praise by association).

The possible actions are:

Seduce Somebody. It's the flirting roll! Roll Foppish + Aristocrat to pout seductively, buy them a drink and any other method that brings you closer to the inside of their pantaloons. This doesn't have to be your new crush although that's an obvious possibility. You can flirt with someone else entirely to make your new crush jealous or annoy another instructor. You can even flirt with a beloved not previously listed as at the Ball. (They're assumed to be there under their own steam). You can even (especially) flirt with another Instructor, although that won't make them do anything. (Pesky player agency). So feel free to all hit on Basil, if you like the distinguished older gentlemen. But it's up to Voros whether Basil feels the same.

A successful roll will make any Beloved not already infatuated with you Infatuated. That's a step away from Devoted, where you steal them away from their Instructor and much wailing and gnashing of teeth is heard.

If unsuccessful, describe your approach and then the player of that Beloved describes how they dash your hopes. Lose a point of ARISTOCRAT for the sheer shame of it all.

Make Mock or Engage in Petty Fisticuffs. Pranks. Japes. Bullying. Insults. All's fair in war and parties. Describe exactly what you're doing and then both parties make a FOPPISH + DUELIST roll. (This one seems obvious for a competitive roll I think). If you succeed, they lose a point of FOPPISH. If you fail, you look silly and lose a point of FOPPISH. (So if one party succeeds and the other fails, that's two FOPPISH lost. Ouch.) Anyone who wants can step into describe this although it's probably best if it's someone not involved in the bitching.

Take Mighty Drafts and Boast. Get at least merry on your tipple of choice (glug glug glug), stand on a table and loudly Brag. This must be an actual deed that you're claiming you'll accomplish. "My student will win the tournament". "I will seduce your father". "I will kill your annoying student". That kind of thing. This is a FOPPISH + DUELLIST roll. If you succeed at the roll gain a FOPPISH and if you complete the boast at any point in the game that's another point of FOPPISH for your good self. Fail and you lose a point of FOPPISH as you appear silly, but if you complete the task later you'll at least regain that point.

Defend your Honor. Shit just got serious. Who offended your honour? Slap them in the time honoured fop fashion and insist the duel takes place instantly. Both go a deniable distance from the party and roll SERIOUS + DUELLIST. (This one feels like a definite case of competitve rolling to me). If you succeed and they were a BELOVED they're dead. That's got to hurt. If your target is a teacher they lose one DUELLIST before the Town Guard turn up and forcibly separate you. Fail the roll? They've turned the tables; lose a DUELLIST yourself. (Yes, this does mean that two BELOVEDS duelling may both die. How poetic). Any challenger is assumed to lose the Ball and can't be involved in any later actions.

Offer Sage Advice. "That is stupid. Do not do this stupid thing. Because it is in fact stupid and you should not be stupid". SERIOUS + ARISTOCRAT roll here. If you succeed, what were you giving them advice about? If it's matters of the heart you can remove infatuation or reduce devotion to infatuation. If you're trying to talk them out of being a violent dickhead it doesn't stop them, but it will mean they roll with disadvantage for the rest of the scene. Fail the roll? Nobody cares what you think, dullard. Lose a point of ARISTOCRAT for being an adult at a party of overgrown children

Benito, having finished mentally composing his ode to love and beauty, makes his way through the crowd to Aumont's side, having acquired an additional glass of punch on the way. He graces her with a courtly bow (not spilling a drop of punch) and hands her one of the glasses. "My dear, you are a positive vision, you put the other ladies here to shame," he begins, with a soft smile "when I saw you enter I was positively transported and overcome by grace as if you were a muse from the ancient stories." he continues, softly and earnestly, moving closer as he speaks. "I beg two boons of you. First, listen to the poem I composed in your honour, and, second, favour me with a dance if you so choose. It would mean the world to me." Here Benito leans in and recites the poem he composed, softly and for her alone.

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

He lets the last line sit there for a moment. "So, my dear Aumont, would you favour me with a dance?"

Rolling to seduce Aumont: 1d10+13 21

Maximilian is in a bind. On one hand, he has of course attended the Ball with Priscilla. And not only would it be rather vulgar to try and 'hit on' another woman in front of his wife, more importantly Priscilla knows many family secrets. And while normally a tolerant woman it is perhaps better not to risk opening that particular jug of angry wives.

(Maximilian has never been very good at metaphors).

But he simply cannot manage to stop gazing at the lovely Patrina.

There is only one logical way out of this unfortunate situation. Only one way to resolve the issue. Maximilian calls for a servant to bring him wine. Fancy, expensive, but most of all STRONG wine. The servant (why would one bother learning his name?) offers him a glass at which point Maximilian grabs the entire bottle.

At that is how half an hour later, Maximilian is found standing on the table bellowing.

"I'll tell you what! All this frippery and fancy clothing is all very nice".

Belch

"But the true test of a noble is the strength of his sword arm. Or her sword arm. Don't want to leave the ladies out".

He tries to smile but it comes out as a leer

"And that is why I won ye Baron’s Clayemorre last year and..."

he pauses for dramatic effect.

"I. Shall. Do. So. Again."

he slips and crashes down off the table.

After a pause a murmur starts to go round the room. It was not the prettiest of boasts, but it was certainly a bold one. Now all he needs to do is put his sword where his mouth is.

Priscilla's expression is carefully blank.

Boast Die Roll 12 + 4 = 16

Bookkeeping:

Voros needs to add that Aumont is now infatuated with Benito.

I add my boast (in case I later fulfill it) and a point of Foppish. (Which automatically takes off a point of Serious).

With bookkeeping do people want to edit themselves (if you can, I can't actually remember if there's a time limit?) or shall I outrageously abuse my mod powers to update sheets?

I'm in favour of outrageous abuse of powers. You might as well lean into being a forum superhero.

ooc: going with the beloved for first move. Trying to talk some sense into Maximilian.

Patrina sighs and helps up Maximillion, sighing heavily as she does so. "It would be best to learn to hold your drink if you want to keep hold of the Claymore."

As she gets him into a standing position. "Maxie dear, please remember your wife."

Talk sense roll: 6+6 =12.

Maximillian stares glassily at Patrina for a moment, then launches into a "speech".

"Warragh, arsh, PRETTY LADY YES".

He makes a lunge forward, only to miss Patrina entirely and end up face down in a plate full of deviled eggs.

Slowly, the room fills with whispers and, from the bolder, even a titter or two.

Maximillian is, after all, a notorious moron. But what is stupider, that, or appealing to the better nature of a man who thinks "etiquette" is an overly fancy school of duelling?

OOC: You lose one Aristocrat for your associaton with Patrina's attempt to reform the irredemable.

Everyone apart from Stan now has an action with their beloved (Stan naturally has one with Nigel).

As a reminder, the bonuses or penalties from that Beloved come into play when they're taking an action and any stat modifiers are applied to your main character by association.

Basil tries to use the distraction of Maxmillian's humilation to swoop in and guide Patrina away from the crowd by the arm out onto the terrace.

Georgio isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but he knows what he wants, either a girl or a fight. Girls haven't made themselves immediately available, so perhaps a fight is the thing (girls love a duel anyway). Maximillian's drunken escapades have made an impression on the group and Georgio isn't any different. Max looks drunk and a drunk could be an easy mark. Georgio is going to saunter over to Maximillian with the intention of insulting him into a duel. He's warming up his best insults in his head, and he'll grab a cup on punch to help him think. If he gets to Max uninterrupted he'll assay his best insult. "You are a drunken lout, sir, and an embarrassment to polite society." he them smiles thinly and takes a calm sip of punch.

OOC: I hope this is what you meant by take an action with your beloved... If not we can readjust.

OOC: This is definitely what I mean; it's the same as actions with the main Fop. I think for these we probably don't need competitive rolls, just one standard roll for your actions.

OOC: Well, Max definitely looks like a drunken oaf and Georgio has made the point stick! I lose one point of Foppish.

( I think we need to resolve/expand Voros Voros action but I'm gonna go as it doesn't have any effect on it.)

Nigel is further convinced that this tree stump of a man is the one who will help propel him to the top of the game. He determinately saunters over to Georgio.

"Battaglia is it? As you might already know, I am Nigel Trickelbank, the Greensplatt heir. I'm sure your man is good when it comes to poetry and punchbowls. But if you want to perfect your lunges and fades, you really need to find a better man. If you like, we can step outside and compare moves. If you're lucky, I'll even show you my secret grip."

Nigel stands arms akimbo waiting for a response.

ooc: the things I want to are not the things I'm good at. I'm just not aristocratic. That's ok, a string a failures will shape me into something as well.

Seduction attempt: 6+7=13.

OOC: Yes, I think Voros' action is a seduction roll maybe?

And someone should probably take Battaglia's reply as it's going to be amusing.

Seduction attempt: 6+14 = 20

On the terrace Basil gazes into the sky, recites a poem by Nerval in a fit of inspiration then sweeps Patrina in his arms for a sweet embrace. She swoons and presses her body fiercely against him.

'Let's steal away from this rabble,' I say and taking her arm guide her back into the ballroom.

'But let's not attract undue attention, after an hour at the ball we can both leave seperately, we shall meet under the Bridge Reine at the stroke of midnight.'

OOC: Patrina is Nigel's scorned lover, Maximllian is infatuated with her, but she is infatuated with Basil.

I believe this is a "love square".

Priscilla makes her way over to stand next to Aumont. She doesn't look at her, instead facing frontwards with a fixed square.

"I wouldn't, dear".

"Hmm" says Aumont, disintestingly.

"Fall in love with a duelling master I mean. Oh yes, at first they might seem all dashing and exciting, what with their duelling scars and their panache. But you end up alone while they go out and fight with ruffians. Sitting there, doing your knitting and waiting for them to come home smelling of gin and blood. And perhaps you think they're having an affair and part of you wishes that was the case because at least that way they'd show some kind of romantic inclination as opposed to loving their bloody sabre which sometimes you think they'd sleep with if they had the chance and you can't even talk to your parents because they warned you off him but oh no you knew better because you were young and foolish and maybe it's too late for me now but perhaps dear, if you take a step back, you can afford making the same mistakes I did and in the long term you'll be happier even if it doesn't feel like it now but you can do better dear truly you can".

OOC: I rolled a 10, so crit. Aumont is no longer infatuated with Benito after the pained advice of Priscilla)

I believe everyone has now taken an action but feel very free to narrate any of the reactions or other parts of the ball. When that's done, our next event in the year (determined randomly will be) Elopement/Kidnapping. I determined an active player randomly (different than the rules but seemed to be more sensible online and that player is Stan Stan

If this comes up on your turn, look at your Beloveds. Are any of them infatuated? If so, ⚀pick your infatuated character and name the lover involved. They’re going to act like the rash, passionate, hot-as-hell outlaws they are. Don’t have a qualifying Beloved? Oh dear. It’s the instructor, who should have at least one grand, ill-considered passion.

So, in this case, Patrina is indeed the one with the ill considered passion, for Basil Applethorpe.

This second character involved is either kidnap victim or a willing party to elopement. ⚁Their player decides which it is. However, the player does not have to say which just yet.

So Basil is either a willing party or kidnap victim but Voros Voros can keep which it is secret.

Either way, obstacles have to be overcome, including at least one wall so that the first player can be referred to henceforth as “the climber.” The person they climb to—the kidnap victim or eloping conspirator —is “the intended.”

These two players collaborate to briefly describe the obstacles and how the climber overcomes them.

The actions begin the following morning, when the intended is found to be missing from their rightful place.

After Voros and Stan work out the beginning details, Fenris and I act, followed by Basil, followed by Patrina.

While Benito bathes his shattered ego in light punch, our attention will turn briefly to Georgio and Nigel, facing each other in a circle of delighted partygoers whose fashionable ennui has been punctured quite completely by this delightful little scene.

A rush of possible responses flood through Georgios mind to this advance of Nigel's, however one detail sticks with him and suggests a comedic, if possibly not particularly well thought-out response.

Georgio smiles at Nigel and smooths his waxed moustaches. "So you would show me your ... secret grip, would you?" he says, with a chuckle. "Is it this same secret grip that has flooded your school with pretty but enormously untalented pupils? I suspect this secret might have something to do with gripping the shaft firmly but gently while guiding the blade through it's motions?" Georgio laughs. "Thank you, but no good sir, I will respectfully decline at this time."

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back