Dumarest..?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
We take a hardline stance against our archenemies, the geese.

I prefer to not take anyone else that seriously

People on both extremes of the political spectrum are preying on us and spreading smear campaigns against us. They will try and destroy us if we don't do something.

People on both extremes of the political spectrum are preying on us and spreading smear campaigns against us. They will try and destroy us if we don't do something.
The world isn't out to get us. We aren't big enough, loud enough or important enough. The world will quickly bore of trying to attack us because most of us won't bite and will just continue to feed the geese alka seltzer.

The world isn't out to get us. We aren't big enough, loud enough or important enough. The world will quickly bore of trying to attack us because most of us won't bite and will just continue to feed the geese alka seltzer.

Spinachat or whatever his name is has declared enmity on us, so has the Site. We should prepare to defend ourselves.

heck of a community to be checking in on folks, even if they don't want to be here :smile:
That's exactly what I thought. Some of us are from the other side of the globe, yet still concerned about members here. This is the sign of an excellent community, and something we should all be proud of maintaining.

In a world full of polarising opinions and general uncertainity, a little space of like-minded individuals is welcomed beyond measure.

I hope all of us are travelling as well as can be during these times :thumbsup:

Spinachat or whatever his name is has declared enmity on us, so has the Site. We should prepare to defend ourselves.
Comments like 'RPG nursing home' are more indicative of the views and attitudes of the poster than anything else. That sort of thing isn't a real threat. In fact, one tends to see an influx of new members every time somebody goes slagging us off online. Unless it turns nasty enough for folks to start trying to DDOS the site or dox and harass individual members there's nothing to worry about. The most recent anti-pub rant I've seen was someone moaning about the mods not shutting down a particular poster.

You can't please everyone, and attempts to do so will typically end up pleasing nobody. The Pub going to be perceived as a bunch of middle-aged white guys by some, too tolerant of trolling by some, too intolerant of trolling by others and not proactive enough in maintaining a safe space by yet another demographic. And yet, for all that, it's still arguably the most compassionate and genuine RPG community on the interwebs - I haven't seen conversations like this on any other RPG board.

Last edited:
I won't lie, I have no love for people declaring themselves the Pub's enemies, or casting themselves as victims when they are in fact anything but.
I think that we should start taking a harder stance against our enemies and slanderers.

Dude. Chill.

Let them badmouth the Pub.

Preferring the ‘Site is a matter of personal opinion. I enjoyed myself there for a few years — learned a bit too — until the culture war thing started drowning out the signal (for me).

But if Spinachcat likes the ‘Site, let him hang out there. I don’t even think his comments were particularly disparaging. We’re definitely operating at a different frequency, that’s the whole point of the forum.

Quite a few users frequent both. And some came here, hung out for a while but ended up sticking mostly to the ‘Site — Spinachcat, jeff3279, Ratman_tf, Spike — they’re welcome back anytime as far as I’m concerned.

What are they going to do?

The Pub are all SoyCuckSJWs!!! Boycott them.
The Pub are all SilentViolentNaziCollaborators!!! Boycott them.

Umm, thanks? :thumbsup:

Until they start coming after people online or irl, who cares what they say or think?

Trust me, the last thing Spinach or the guys at the Site are gonna do is try and cancel someone. The idea’s anathema to most of them, that’s why at least half of them are political posting to begin with. It’s like thinking PETA activists are going to poison your pets.

What are they going to do?

The Pub are all SoyCuckSJWs!!! Boycott them.
The Pub are all SilentViolentNaziCollaborators!!! Boycott them.

Umm, thanks? :thumbsup:

Until they start coming after people online or irl, who cares what they say or think?
Trust me, the last thing Spinach or the guys at the Site are gonna do is try and cancel someone. The idea’s anathema to most of them, that’s why at least half of them are political posting to begin with. It’s like thinking PETA activists are going to poison your pets.

If they won't cancel us, they'll hire Neo-Nazi militias to conduct actual violence. There, I said it.

If they won't cancel us, they'll hire Neo-Nazi militias to conduct actual violence. There, I said it.
Calm down, bro, you’re having an attack of paranoia. Seriously.

If no one can convince you that this isn’t a possibility, look at it this way...they’d start with RPG.net, ENworld, and a host of RPG designers, streamers and bloggers before they looked this way...and laughed. Those guys don’t see the Pub as a threat, they see it as a joke.

Seriously though, do you have people there to talk to, or are you physically alone in your home?

Calm down, bro, you’re having an attack of paranoia. Seriously.

If no one can convince you that this isn’t a possibility, look at it this way...they’d start with RPG.net, ENworld, and a host of RPG designers, streamers and bloggers before they looked this way...and laughed. Those guys don’t see the Pub as a threat, they see it as a joke.

Seriously though, do you have people there to talk to, or are you physically alone in your home?

Parents and Sister, but I don't talk to them 90% of the time.

Parents and Sister, but I don't talk to them 90% of the time.
I need to sleep. Maybe I'll be calmer waking up.
It's easy to get worked up about online shitposting but it's been going on for decades and one tends to just let it wash over oneself now.

Try not to stress about this. The folks doing the badmouthing are just sitting in their rooms shitposting on their computers. They're not dangerous. They're not hard-core neo-nazis with connections - that situation is nowhere near as bad as Duerte's mob in the Philippines, even in the U.S. The Site is all wind - and I've seen them shut down white supremacist trolls who attempted to recruit there.

If you're feeling isolated then this is about as compassionate a crowd that you'll get.

True. However, anytime a few people post in support of X, we have a few other people who mount up and start charging in defense of Y and start the AntiOneTrueWayism Crusade 384,735,948. Plus we have at least one poster who has made it their personal mission to belittle Gygax and deny him as anything other than a guy who wrote a few good modules, and also attack with a petty vindictiveness only seen in academia any source from BitD that doesn’t mesh with their personal view.

I can see why discussion of model trains can be infinitely more rewarding, especially if you’re in your 60’s and don’t want to play High School and deal with forum cliques.
I don't know. OG always gave me the impression that battles over model train scale were worse than edition wars. :wink:
I've seen occasional posters at rpg.net complain about us, but I've also seen people there say nice things about us in response. In fact, in every rpg.net thread where we have been brought up, the people saying nice things seem to outnumber the ones with something bad to say. I've also never seen the staff or any of the "big name" posters get involved in attacking us. In that last thread, a mod even shut the discussion down because they didn't want any drama with us.

I even still post at rpg.net on occasion. This is my place to talk about RPGs, but there is some pretty good video game discussion over at rpg.net. If the staff there considered us enemies, they wouldn't be shy about banning me.

Over at the RPG Site, Pundit has openly badmouthed us in the past, but I don't think he even cares about forums anymore. It's just a place he drives by to post his Youtube links. In any case, the complaints about us over there are of the dismissive kind rather than particularly threatening.

We have had one person who has recently been banned here for actively threatening and smearing people online, but he's rightfully banned at both rpg.net and the RPG Site. I won't give him the attention he desperately seeks by naming him. We are willing to act if someone crosses the line, but we aren't going to bent out of shape just because some people don't like us.

I appreciate your concern for us, but we are fine.
Comments like 'RPG nursing home' are more indicative of the views and attitudes of the poster than anything else. That sort of thing isn't a real threat. In fact, one tends to see an influx of new members every time somebody goes slagging us off online. Unless it turns nasty enough for folks to start trying to DDOS the site or dox and harass individual members there's nothing to worry about. The most recent anti-pub rant I've seen was someone moaning about the mods not shutting down a particular poster.
The hope of living long enough to make it to the RPG nursing home and gaming all day is one of the few things that gets me out of bed in the morning. The comment just makes me question Spinachcat's priorities.

You can't please everyone, and attempts to do so will typically end up pleasing nobody. It's going to be perceived as a bunch of middle-aged white guys by some, too tolerant of trolling by some, too intolerant of trolling by others and not proactive enough in maintaining a safe space by yet another demographic. And yet, for all that, it's still arguably the most compassionate and genuine RPG community on the interwebs - I haven't seen conversations like this on any other RPG board.
Yes. There is never going to be the perfect forum that makes everyone happy. We on the staff are trying to maintain the kind of forum that we personally want to hang out at. If it doesn't work for everyone, I am glad there are other forums around that might suit them better.

I didn't know it was binary?

I'm a regular poster at the Site and the Pub, and I take them both at face value. I post non-Pub friendly stuff there, but I still talk RPG's mostly on threads that interest me. I talk more about RPG's here. As for the personalities? Like the Site, and Pub - I take them all at face value. No one calling the Pub a "nursing home" is offensive personally to me, because I tend not to do things because of people's opinions. I come here because *I* find value here. Whether it's the people, the quality of the discourse etc. I don't really care about other people's opinions about things I like. But that's because I'm very good at knowing why I like/dislike something. I find most people aren't.

I respect the no-politics policy here. I also understand the sentiment of the Site that a specific brand of politics has largely ruined pop-culture and corporate culture and it feels like an invasion - so the sentiment of "no politics" tastes like "appeasement" to them. For others - it's merely an oasis.

My view is, I have PUH-lenty of places to talk politics, philosophy, and things of that sort on other forums. The Site is hardly the bastion of "deep discussion" in that regard. BUT it does serve a purpose about talking about the impact of the culture wars on our hobby. That might relegate it to being niche, but it's a war worth fighting to some. I respect that a lot.

But I also respect just talking about good things (in our hobby or in general) free of the histrionics (mostly). And hence I'm here *too*.

I've been doing this online thing for a loooooooooong time (300baud modems modded to 450 were the hotness!) I don't have "online" enemies. Though I'm sure plenty of people might feel that way about me. I still live in reality where I save my emotions for real concerns.

TL/DR: Different Strokes, WIllis!

Spinachcat wasn’t in attack mode either. Here’s the quote.

“I'm a member of RPGPub and its a nice forum, more of a RPG nursing home. It was created to be a RPG forum which banned all political discussion, but while championing free speech about games. It's reason for existence is quite different than why theRPGsite was created.

In many ways, both forums reflect their founders.“

Not really a “those guys need to go” kind of evaluation, is it?

That quote sounds like a pretty positive assessment to me.

As for the original topic of the thread, I also hope Dumarest is doing well, and miss his memes and love of all things '70s.

So I've not really been to the site much in a long time. At one time, I was over there because of Amber, so I had an account, and... I just went to see what the hubbub was about.

... I feel like I need a bath.

I mean, the sad truth of the matter is that controversy and arguments leads to more posters (of a certain inclination) posting more often. When everyone is in a good mood The Pub is more like a lazy afternoon tea party. I can totally get why the rotating outrage of TheSite is sometimes more appealing, been there, done that (though it did occassionally lead to burnouts for me). The Pub will continue to be here, a welcoming place, for those who want the vibe here, even if it's only during breaks between posting at other forums.
I'm so glad I got over the massive self-loathing I must have had to post there.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back