Dune board game imminent...

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one's attempted a Dune-based miniatures wargame yet

Brock Savage

Cosmic Barbarian
Reaction score
I've been waiting a long time for this; $50 is not bad at all. I hope a reboot of the Dune RTS is next.

Voros

Doomed Investigator
Reaction score
Cool, long wanted this, will wait for it to show up for order in Canada.

Baulderstone

Reaction score
I don't buy board games very much anymore, mainly for space reasons, but I couldn't pass this up. I've gone ahead and ordered it.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
Yeah the Imperium to me is Dune + 2000 AD + Rome + Catholicism. The large elements are taken from Dune (God emperor, navigator guild), the look of the world from 2000 AD (especially hive worlds and their associated agriworlds), Rome for the Imperial regalia and organisation and Catholicism for the general atmosphere and life style of humans and marines. Obviously with British everyman humour for Orks and the Imperial guard. Aliens for Tyranids. Elric and more alien depictions of elves for the Eldar.

Last edited:

Baulderstone

Reaction score
Is it really that good?
I've never actually played, but I've heard good things, and I like Dune. Also, it's a licensed game. It could easily slip back into the abyss at any moment. I've spent decades regretting not picking this game up at a reasonable price back in the '80s when it was always on the shelf at the FLGS.

Bunch

Prince of Insufficient Light.
Reaction score
I've never actually played, but I've heard good things, and I like Dune. Also, it's a licensed game. It could easily slip back into the abyss at any moment. I've spent decades regretting not picking this game up at a reasonable price back in the '80s when it was always on the shelf at the FLGS.
It could but I doubt it these days. Usually it's the author or a close family member who decides to hold on to things like they're gold. The more distance from the author the greater the desire for just some actual gold, maybe silver or copper drives them to license things. Usually by turning it over to a company actually interested in doing so. I give it maybe a generation before we see some Wizard of Earthsea licensed RPGs and she was notorious for not liking RPGs.

dbm

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I recently bought Forbidden Stars off eBay at double the original store price as it is a great game and will be out of print for an indeterminate period of time now that FFG have lost the GW licensing agreement.

I understand that Rex: Final Days of an Empire may be similar in gameplay to Dune so likewise, a similar game to Forbidden Stars may come out in the next few years. But it won’t be the same sweet spot of mechanics and license that the original was.

So, licensed games are definitely vulnerable to disappearing as there are multiple rights holders and if the IP gets re-allocates those other parties won’t necessarily all go along for the ride. And board games are hot at the moment, potentially selling out quickly. Many of them don’t get the same re-print behaviour that games like Risk do, but drop back into unavailable due to the treadmill that is Kickstarter.

That’s why I decided to pre-order. I’m probably being over cautious, but it also means I will get to play sooner, so no real loss! :grin:

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
Yeah the Imperium to me is Dune + 2000 AD + Rome + Catholicism. The large elements are taken from Dune (God emperor, navigator guild), the look of the world from 2000 AD (especially hive worlds and their associated agriworlds), Rome for the Imperial regalia and organisation and Catholicism for the general atmosphere and life style of humans and marines. Obviously with British everyman humour for Orks and the Imperial guard. Aliens for Tyranids. Elric and more alien depictions of elves for the Eldar.

There's also some BattleTech in there - the Adeptus Mechanicus are essentially Comstar with the serial numbers filed off

Baulderstone

Reaction score
It could but I doubt it these days. Usually it's the author or a close family member who decides to hold on to things like they're gold. The more distance from the author the greater the desire for just some actual gold, maybe silver or copper drives them to license things. Usually by turning it over to a company actually interested in doing so. I give it maybe a generation before we see some Wizard of Earthsea licensed RPGs and she was notorious for not liking RPGs.
Well, this has the complication of requiring permission from the three designers that made the original game, and then you need the Dune license on top (and Dune is the property of a close family member).

Keep in mind, the fragility of license games often come from the licencee, not the licensor. Sometimes the licensor is the one that kills a licensed game, in the case of Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, but often it is the game company that loses interest in continuing to pay a licensing fee once a games initial sales boost is over. They are making thinner margins on the game, so it is more expensive to keep it in print over a long period.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
There's also some BattleTech in there - the Adeptus Mechanicus are essentially Comstar with the serial numbers filed off
I've heard conflicting things about this, some say they are both influenced by Macross and ultimately Gundam. However the timeline (1984 vs 1987) definitely allows influence.

Battletech itself was influenced by Dune wasn't it, i.e. Butlerian Jihad = Collapse of Star League = Age of Strife.

TristramEvans

The Right Hand of Doom
Reaction score
I've heard conflicting things about this, some say they are both influenced by Macross and ultimately Gundam. However the timeline (1984 vs 1987) definitely allows influence.
I'm not really seeing any resemblance as far as a former period of advanced technology that's been lost and the maintenance of machines surviving passed down as religious rites held by a secret society that has the affectations iof a pseudo medieval Catholic church. In Macross, an alien ship crashes on earth and scientists utilize the advanced technology discovered to fend off a later alien invasion, whereas in Gundam the tech is simply advanced, with no dark age proceeding it, at least insofar as the original series.

Battletech itself was influenced by Dune wasn't it, i.e. Butlerian Jihad = Collapse of Star League = Age of Strife.
Again, not really seeing any resemblance. The Butlerian Jihad was mankind shrugging off the oppression of AI and turning instead to unlocking the secrets of human potential without thinking machines. Star Leagues demise was more akin to the fall of Rome, there was no religious element to the Successor wars nor any paradigm shift in regards to rejecting technology in favour of mental prowess.

Séadna

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm not really seeing any resemblance as far as a former period of advanced technology that's been lost and the maintenance of machines surviving passed down as religious rites held by a secret society that has the affectations iof a pseudo medieval Catholic church
Do you think there is only no influence from Macross as far as later influence on the Adaptus Mechanicus goes, i.e. the parts of Battletech the Adaptus Mechanicus are inspired by are original to Battletech.
Or do you think Battletech has little to no influence from Macross in general?
(The quoted bit concerns only the former I'm just curious what you think about the common claim that Battletech takes a lot from Macross)

EDIT: Edited the question to be clearer

Last edited: