Dune board game imminent...

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
And also I want Dune, but I have no realistic chance of getting anyone to play it at the level of ruthlessness necessary to play.
I'm starting to thing the same. There's a reason we only play co-op board games around here. It's too bad, I have wanted to play it for decades.

Yeah, we mostly do co-op, which is fine. I love co-op and the games I have played are some of the most fun ever. But also sometimes I want to drive my enemies before me.

Yeah, Diplomacy. I haven't played that in ages, although I had a copy for awhile.

One of my other favourite board games which gets no love any more is Titan. Such a great game, with both strategic and tactical layers. But it takes a long time to play and features player elimination which can mean that someone can be out hours before the game gets to a finale.

Last edited:
One of my other favourite board games which gets no live any more is Titan. Such a great game, with both strategic and tactical layers. But it takes a long time to play and features player elimination which can mean that someone can be out hours before the game gets to a finale.
I worked at a game store in the early 90's and always wanted to try out Titan but never got around to buying it. Master of Monsters on the Sega Genesis ended up scratching that itch for me.

I got my copy in the mail today. (Would have gotten it sooner if I'd just walked into a local shop and bought it, but I preordered through an online retailer).

Schedule a game with an old group of friends towards the end of December. Hoping to play it sooner with another group of friends.

Mine arrived a week or so ago, haven’t had the chance to play it yet. An unexpected bonus: as I ordered it from GF9 directly I got limited edition Worm miniatures!

I've never actually played, but I've heard good things, and I like Dune. Also, it's a licensed game. It could easily slip back into the abyss at any moment. I've spent decades regretting not picking this game up at a reasonable price back in the '80s when it was always on the shelf at the FLGS.
I um and ahh about this occasionally with SWD6 and EOTE material. I did make a conscious decision not to get into Star Wars gaming, as it was substantially more expensive than CT material (which I already had quite a lot of anyway) and I was still broke an unemployed at the time.

Now, with the rarity and collectability of the material I look at it and think that I can't be arsed getting into it, plus it would cost an arm and a leg[1]. OTOH I like doing my own world building anyway so I wouldn't get a great deal of mileage from it, apart perhaps from cribbing a few ideas.

Scheduled a game with an old group of friends towards the end of December. Hoping to play it sooner with another group of friends.
I did play a game of Dune sooner than expected, just forgot to mention it on this thread. I got together with some friends on 11/10 - 4 days after getting a copy - and we had 5 players. We followed the game's guidelines and left out the Bene Gesserit. Then we randomly drew factions and I got Harkonnen (cool!).

The game took 4 hours - which I don't think was too bad for 4 new players, and me (who played in once in 2003). We messed a couple of rules, but overall everything went smoothly, and everyone had a great time. In the end, the Guild won after we hit 10 turns; the Fremen were close, but couldn't quite meet their victory conditions; my ally - the Emperor - and I got into some epic battles with the other alliance - Fremen and Atreides - but we just couldn't maintain a hold on 3 strongholds. It got close at times, but the attrition got to us, and the Guild skillfully f'd with both alliances enough to stalemate things till turn 10.

I've got another game planned with old friends - also Dune fanatics - on 12/29. Looking forward to it!

An unexpected bonus: as I ordered it from GF9 directly I got limited edition Worm miniatures!
A friend also preordered Dune through GF9 and got the minis. He wasn't impressed with them, though, and - luckily! - gave them to me.

I painted up the Coriolis Storm marker and a sandworm token. They turned out pretty well - especially the sandworm. Tried my hand at the House Atomics token and did a shit job. Going to paint-strip it back down to plastic and give it another go.

Reactions: dbm
I got an interesting marketing email from Noble Knight Games this morning that they've restocked GF9's Dune AND that there's an expansion planned for it in 2020. They're taking preorders for the "Ixians and Tleilaxu Expansion".

We played this last week with 4 players. All of whom have this annoying habit of assuming rules mean something more/other than what they say. THis is a problem when rules are vague as some are here (ornithopter rules).

We played the basic game. It nearly broke the Harkonnen player who couldn't get into it. I liked it. We are going to try it again. The Imperial player spent all his money and couldn't work out why he was constantly skint.

I did warn them it was brutal.

The fucking dog kept barking

I played this for the first time a couple of nights ago. I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was very similar to FFG's Game of Thrones board game, which appears to be very heavily influenced by the original Dune game for years ago.

It plays quickly and well once you get to grips with it.

Traitors are an absolute bloody nightmare though! The Harkonnen player quickly made himself a pariah because of this.

Overall, a good game, really looking forward to the expansion so I can play as the Bene Tleilaxu.

Having now played half a dozen games and having got a feel for it, I can definitely say it is becoming a favourite for me. I've introduced both my regular role playing groups to it and everyone has enjoyed it.

Here is what has stood out to me:
- The Fremen can win early and easily if not stopped. As can the Spacing Guild, though they are suggested only for 5-6 player games, which reduces the chance of a sneaky victory for them.
- Alliance are fascinating, often vital, and liable to shift. Each faction interacts with others differently, with some alliances being better in the early game, others later.
- Dune is a harsh planet that punishes mistakes, you quickly learn not to make them.
- Even the advanced rules are surprisingly simple once you have the basics down. We started using them after our first game and never looked back. Even when introducing new players to the game we used the full rules without issue.

Played a game on Saturday and it didn't go great, partly due to being new and partly due to one player's head not really being in it. I was Harkonnen, and I was far too passive in the first turn, which I never recovered from - I quickly ran out of spice and couldn't afford anything.

But oh, the potential - I can clearly see how, among players who know how to play a faction, this game would become an obsession. It's really simple to mechanically play, but every single decision has consequences and it is full of yomi. Definitely want to play again.

I've got another Dune game-day scheduled for 2/16. I'm crossing my fingers that we have 6 players this time, and we can bust out the Bene Gesserit. I really want to see what kind of dynamic they add.

We haven't experimented with the advanced rules yet. There are some I like, but paying spice to support troops seems like such a PITA.

A friend got the board game, so I gave it a go today. 3 players total.
Found to be an overall solid game, It's simple and it has depth. It's really good to bring the dune spice space opera vibe, and a fun experience.
Watch out for the Fremen and the way I see the game will be even better with 6 players, because the spice will change hands more often and people will be questioning If they want the Empire or Space Guild getting spice. Still have not tried any advances rules, and since we were learning we didn't make any alliances today.

A friend got the board game, so I gave it a go today. 3 players total.
Found to be an overall solid game, It's simple and it has depth. It's really good to bring the dune spice space opera vibe, and a fun experience.
Watch out for the Fremen and the way I see the game will be even better with 6 players, because the spice will change hands more often and people will be questioning If they want the Empire or Space Guild getting spice. Still have not tried any advances rules, and since we were learning we didn't make any alliances today.

It is more interesting with more players. Everyone who is not the Emperor will quickly come to hate the bidding phase.

I recommend using the advanced rules as soon as you can. They add little complexity but bring out the distinct play styles of each faction.

Last edited:
Me and some friends I had whilst in the Navy played a Savage Worlds version of a Dune Wars campaign. You could be Sardukar, Fremen, Atreides troops, and Harkonnen. It was fun, and a little unmanageable but beer finds a way to make things work!
We used green army men, and kaki army men and a piece of plywood to game on.

Got a game in yesterday. 5 players. This time we swapped out the Guild, and included the Bene Gesserit, to see what they'd be like in play. We also used the advanced rules.

There were some fierce battles in the first few turns, one which included a lasgun-shield intersection. I played the Emperor - for the first time - and it was nice to never be short on spice. The low troop revival rate sucked, though, and as we got into turns 5-6-7, I'd suffered so much attrition that I was barely able to keep troops on Arrakis.

I allied with the Harkonnen; the Atreides and Bene Gesserit teamed up; and the Fremen was solo. My ally had played before, but he seemed lost during this game and was largely ineffectual. He revealed one traitor in an early round, but sat on his treachery cards most of the game, and gradually got wiped off the planet's surface.

In the end, the Atreides/Bene Gesserit rolled to an easy victory in the 7th turn. By then, the BG had fully infiltrated Arrakis, and with the combination of their voice and the Atreides prescience they mopped up rather easily.

I liked a lot of the faction-specific advanced rules, but the base advanced rules annoy me. Extra spice blows and supplementing troops with spice was a hassle during play, IMO. And most of the time, people forgot to spend spice to support troops in their combats.

First game I played was about 4 hours. The games since then have been 3 hours long.

Do you think it's feasible for 4 novices (that's the minimum number of players right?) to keep it at 4 hours max?

If not, how about stating a maximum 7 rounds game? Do you think the game would feel unsatisfying if played like this?

And last but not least, I've heard there's some expansion coming? Is that true?

Do you think it's feasible for 4 novices (that's the minimum number of players right?) to keep it at 4 hours max?
The game advertises the minimum # of players is 2, but I've never played it with less than 4, so I don't know what that's like.

I think if you've got 4 novices that are focused and you stick to the basic rules, you could easily keep it to 4 hours max. I'd suggest having one player give the rules a couple of read-throughs, maybe watch a play-through YouTube video if you've got the time.

If not, how about stating a maximum 7 rounds game? Do you think the game would feel unsatisfying if played like this?
There's no guarantee a game will go the 10-round distance. It can really depend if someone can get an upper hand - or leverage their alliance strengths. I'd say give the game a shot and see how you fair.

Yes, there's a "House Expansion" that's been announced: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/44770/gale-force-nine-unveils-new-dune-board-game-expansion . It adds the Ixian and Tleilaxu factions. Scheduled for release Q2 2020.

I've seen a couple comments (I think on BoardGameGeek) about people playing the game for 6+ hours. And I've wondered: were people paying attention? Was there a lot of alcohol involved? Were the players taking forever to make a decision?

One (of many) positives that Gale Force 9 implemented with their version of Dune was dropping the # of turns from 15 down to 10. I think that's helped to make the game more reasonable to play.

I've seen a couple comments (I think on BoardGameGeek) about people playing the game for 6+ hours. And I've wondered: were people paying attention? Was there a lot of alcohol involved? Were the players taking forever to make a decision?

One (of many) positives that Gale Force 9 implemented with their version of Dune was dropping the # of turns from 15 down to 10. I think that's helped to make the game more reasonable to play.
Never underestimate how much analysis paralysis people can put others through. I have a friend who is incapable of making quick decisions.
He's the one who insisted we start using chess clocks to get game times under control and it always screws him.

As long as everyone is paying attention to the sequence of play, yes, you should get through a game in under four hours. The first round or two might be slow while you figure it out, but after that the game plays quickly.

I can't imagine how anyone could take six hours to play Dune unless they are stopping for a three course meal halfway through.

The House Ix and Bene Tleilaxu expansion is due Q2 this year. I'm really looking forward to it.

Heya.

So, my copy + expansion is on the way (finally!) and so I've been perusing the webz for advice on a 1st game with 4 players that fits in our 4 hours time slot. This is what I collected, and I would like your opinions:

1. Play Advanced Rules minus Adv Combat and Double Spice Blow, to keep things simple at first, since Adv Combat apparently takes the complexity, and consequently people's analysis paralysis, to eleven.

2. Have at least ATREIDES, HARKONNEN and FREMEN in the game. Apparently they are mandatory for game balance and to guarantee map presence by the players.

3. Disallow Spice Bribery at first, as it's usually the responsible for making Bidding phase such a drag. This means bribery is allowed only through information, actions or factions "abilities" (e.g: Fremen Storm information, free shipping from the Guild, a ride on Ixians mobile base, etc). Bonus for making the Atreides appropriately thematic and not the bastard hawker he becomes with spice allowed for bribes.

Thoughts?

P.S: T The Butcher , I want you on my table. Not now, probably not this year.... but start thinking on your faction. Except Bene Gesserit that is, they are mine. MWA-HA-HA!

Last edited:
Heya.

So, my copy + expansion is on the way (finally!) and so I've been perusing the webz for advice on a 1st game with 4 players that fits in our 4 hours time slot. This is what I collected, and I would like your opinions:

1. Play Advanced Rules minus Adv Combat and Double Spice Blow, to keep things simple at first, since Adv Combat apparently takes the complexity, and consequently people's analysis paralysis, to eleven.

2. Have at least ATREIDES, HARKONNEN and FREMEN in the game. Apparently they are mandatory for game balance and to guarantee map presence by the players.

3. Disallow Spice Bribery at first, as it's usually the responsible for making Bidding phase such a drag. This means bribery is allowed only through information, actions or factions "abilities" (e.g: Fremen Storm information, free shipping from the Guild, a ride on Ixians mobile base, etc). Bonus for making the Atreides appropriately thematic and not the bastard hawker he becomes with spice allowed for bribes.

Thoughts?

P.S: T The Butcher , I want you on my table. Not now, probably not this year.... but start thinking on your faction. Except Bene Gesserit that is, they are mine. MWA-HA-HA!

For your first few games, that looks good. Once you're comfortable with it, use the advanced combat rules. Some factions don't come into their own without them. Also, funding a full scale assault is/should be costly.

If you've got four players, add the Imperial House rather than the Spacing Guild. I love playing the guild, but Guild + Fremen alliance is really tough to beat and makes too much sense not to do.

Spice bribery rarely comes up in my group, so no suggestion there.

Heya.

Thoughts?

The game doesn't really work with 4 players

I like Basic Game + Advanced Game Advantages.

Increased Spice Flow is fine, but I've never enjoyed Advanced Combat. We never used Spice Bribery (probably because we forgot that Alliance rule).

The game doesn't really work with 4 players
Yeah, I've heard that. I've also heard that it actually works, only not as good as with higher numbers. Unfortunately for me, my realistic expectation is 4, with luck 5, people at the table.

I like Basic Game + Advanced Game Advantages.

Increased Spice Flow is fine, but I've never enjoyed Advanced Combat. We never used Spice Bribery (probably because we forgot that Alliance rule).
Oh by Spice bribery I meant the normal rules move of bribing people with Spice directly. This seems specially true in Bidding phase where giving Spice to the Atreiides to know the cards is a thing. I've read this can be a real time sink depending on the group.

Heya.

Thoughts?

Fremen, duh.

God created Arrakis to test the faithful.

00052552-E615-41B4-A681-C7D8F439DE49.jpeg

Found this review pretty cool. Specially the Black IPA comparison. Hehe

The Fremen are a hell of a lot of fun to play. They're the faction that I actually won a game with - narrowly beating out the Guild, and leaving my ally in the dust.
Lemme guess: you allied with one of the rich boys (Guild? Emperor?) then gave him a sweep after you had enough money!

I'm trying to remember now. It was about a year and a half ago. And now that I think more on it, I may have the details wrong.

The game came down to the final turn, and I won with the Fremen Special Victory Condition. The Guild were not in play. So, I didn't leave my ally in the dust. My mistake.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back