Dune: The Media Franchise

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

Lunar Ronin

New Generation Grognard
Administrator
Reaction score
WarnerMedia exec: "We've been milking The Lord of the Rings along with Amazon, we can do that with Dune too!" Announcing Dune: The Sisterhood, a live action television series coming exclusively to the upcoming paid WarnerMedia video streaming service, (rumored to be $17 per month)!

From Comic Book:

Warner Bros. and Legendary are set to bring a new take on Dune to theaters next year, and it looks like they aren't stopping with the big screen. According to a new report from The Hollywood Reporter, WarnerMedia's upcoming streaming service has given a straight-to-series order to Dune: The Sisterhood, which is described as a "female-focused take" on the iconic novel.

The pilot will be directed by Blade Runner 2049's Denis Villeneuve, who also wrote, produced, and directed the upcoming Dune movie. Jon Spaihts (Doctor Strange, Prometheus), who also co-wrote the screenplay with Villeneuve and Eric Roth, will be penning the show's script. Both men will executive produce alongside Kim Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Byron Merritt from the estate of Frank Herbert, the novel's author.

Dune: The Sisterhood is expected to be set in the same universe as the original novel, with a focus being put on the Bene Gesserit, a mysterious order of women. Given abilities by their mastery of the body and the mind, the Bene Gesserit expertly weave through the feudal politics and intrigue of The Imperium, pursuing plans of their own that will ultimately lead them to the enigmatic planet Arrakis — known to its inhabitants as Dune.

"The Bene Gesserit have always been fascinating to me." Villeneuve said in a statement. "Focusing a series around that powerful order of women seemed not only relevant and inspiring but a dynamic setting for the television series."

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to be sick.

Meh, may not actually happen and as Villeneuve says the Bene Gesserit are one of the cooler things in the books.

Villeneuve has yet to produce anything close to hackwork either.

You never can tell, I thought the Hannibal TV series was going to be silly and redundant and it ended up being brilliant.

Eh. The book remains unchanged.

I generally don't like movies and TV shows made from books. They always have to cut material and sometimes take idiotic liberties. I prefer the images in my mind to what Hollywood comes up with anyway.

$17 a month?

Yeah. Word is that AT&T plans to axe the HBO Now, DC Universe, and VRV video streaming services, and combine them and everything else they own into a new video streaming service starting at the end of the year for $17 per month.

Yeah. Word is that AT&T plans to axe the HBO Now, DC Universe, and VRV video streaming services, and combine them and everything else they own into a new video streaming service starting at the end of the year for $17 per month.
So when it collapses from lack of subscribers in a year or two, who will buy up the pieces and become the first aggressor in The Streaming Wars?

That cost wouldn't be worth what they offer. I'm pondering adding the Disney one but that's because they aren't charging much. It's almost like they get the market is becoming over saturated. Well, until they don't.

Holy shit that sounds amazing. The people involved give me hope.

The price of yet ANOTHER digital streaming service ruins everything though.

So when it collapses from lack of subscribers in a year or two, who will buy up the pieces and become the first aggressor in The Streaming Wars?

It may or may not. Right now, people pay $15 per month for HBO's video streaming service, and this will be essentially HBO, DC Universe, VRV, and everything else AT&T/WarnerMedia owns for an extra $2 per month. If you're currently a HBO subscriber, it probably works out in your favor. Of course, if you're a DC Universe or VRV subscriber, you'll essentially be asked to pay about 2.5x as much per month for content you may not want. And won't include the comic books side of DC Universe, which is why I subscribed in the first place. Being able to re-watch Superman: TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Lois & Clark is a nice perk.

It may or may not. Right now, people pay $15 per month for HBO's video streaming service, and this will be essentially HBO, DC Universe, VRV, and everything else AT&T/WarnerMedia owns for an extra $2 per month. If you're currently a HBO subscriber, it probably works out in your favor. Of course, if you're a DC Universe or VRV subscriber, you'll essentially be asked to pay about 2.5x as much per month for content you may not want. And won't include the comic books side of DC Universe, which is why I subscribed in the first place. Being able to re-watch Superman: TAS, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, and Lois & Clark is a nice perk.
This is why I say what we're seeing now is the beginning of the Streaming Wars. Everyone wants a piece of Netflix' action. But the more paywalls go up, the more companies are going to struggle. There's only so much to go round, after all. I can see people taking out a month's subscription so they can see the new Star Trek show or whatever. But at some point, people will decide there's too many people wanting too much money and start to cancel things.

The real winners will be Netflix and Amazon, just because they get the worldwide rights to things. And outside the US is where there's going to be beaucoup bucks to be made.

I’m waiting for Disney+ and then I might cancel Netflix. I have no interest in paying for multiple services.

The real winners will be Netflix and Amazon, just because they get the worldwide rights to things. And outside the US is where there's going to be beaucoup bucks to be made.

I don't see Netflix winning. In fact I see them losing, and soon. They're losing money hand over fist at the moment trying desperately to make original content to compensate for Disney, WarnerMedia, NBC Universal, etc., pulling their content from the service. At some point, the money well is going to dry up, and honestly the Netflix original content just isn't good. At least IMO. I will be very surprised if Netflix is still around in 2025.

I see Amazon and Disney winning, with Disney+ and Hulu. They are both in it for the long haul. CBS might have a shot if they re-merge with Viacom/Paramount (talks are supposed to start again Friday), and merge CBS All Access, Showtime, and EPIX together under one roof. Maybe.

I think the movies and anything with Brian Herbert's work is going to blow. I have zero faith in Hollywood.

Villeneuve is hardly a Hollywood director.

Villeneuve is hardly a Hollywood director.
Per his résumé from 2015 to date, he's worked for and with Columbia Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, Sony Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate, Legendary Entertainment, Thunder Road...what is a "Hollywood director"?

I don't see Netflix winning. In fact I see them losing, and soon. They're losing money hand over fist at the moment trying desperately to make original content to compensate for Disney, WarnerMedia, NBC Universal, etc., pulling their content from the service. At some point, the money well is going to dry up, and honestly the Netflix original content just isn't good. At least IMO. I will be very surprised if Netflix is still around in 2025.

I see Amazon and Disney winning, with Disney+ and Hulu. They are both in it for the long haul. CBS might have a shot if they re-merge with Viacom/Paramount (talks are supposed to start again Friday), and merge CBS All Access, Showtime, and EPIX together under one roof. Maybe.
Again, all these are US only distributors. Who is providing content to Europe, Australia, Asia? Sure the American revenue streams are important. But the rest if the world wants access too. And it's going to be between Netflix, Amazon and Apple to get the global markets. They are the only ones set up or with the bottomless wallets to make it happen.

Per his résumé from 2015 to date, he's worked for and with Columbia Pictures, Warner Bros. Pictures, Sony Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate, Legendary Entertainment, Thunder Road...what is a "Hollywood director"?

That's a good question. I think the very notion of 'Hollywood' is an outdated notion. The classic Studio System is long gone, ever since the Paramount decision in 48'. Are Taxi Driver or Blue Velvet 'Hollywood' films? Most of the majors keep boutique art house lines for prestige films, outside of his Blade Runner film that is where Villaneuve, who had a long career in Quebec cinema before ever coming to the states, has worked. His films have performed well for art films but are hardly blockbusters.

Last edited:
And anything written by the dictahiker hack Kevin J. (we have written more Dune books than Frank Herbert so we are better) Anderson. Keith and Bobo are two idiots shy of of a picnic who couldn’t write their way out of a 7th grade narrative assignment.

Shallow, thoughtless dribble inspired by whatever shit movie KJA happens to be watching as he is editing that is geared for twits with the attention span of a ferret on crack.

If you ever want an idea of the depth of research Frank Herbert engaged in, I recommend visiting the public library in Florence Oregon, part of Frank Herbert’s personal library was donated to the library and it is an amazing window into the breadth of topics he used to inform what he wrote,

Rob

I think the movies and anything with Brian Herbert's work is going to blow. I have zero faith in Hollywood.
Brian Herbert is involved as an executive producer not a writer. He's just investing money in the project. I like Villaneuve as a director, so I am looking forward to seeing what he does with Dune.

Brian Herbert is involved as an executive producer not a writer. He's just investing money in the project. I like Villaneuve as a director, so I am looking forward to seeing what he does with Dune.

That actually changes a lot for me. His father he isn't.

It doesn't change anything for me. Mainly because of the constraints that a movie-format places on the books. It's going to force them fit the movie into the algorithm of audience attention needs and do a lot of editing. Likely they're going to add more action sequences that never existed.

I'm not saying it can't work. I'm saying I totally distrust the studio's judgement. I'd have a lot more faith in pulling this off if they made it a TV series on HBO.

It doesn't change anything for me. Mainly because of the constraints that a movie-format places on the books. It's going to force them fit the movie into the algorithm of audience attention needs and do a lot of editing. Likely they're going to add more action sequences that never existed.
Movies never do that!
2PjA.gif

My eyes... they bleed. My heart... it breaks.

Movies never do that!
I take your point, but nothing in Villaneuve's career even just sticking to science-fiction movies, is anything like that. I feel like we have two threads going on here. Actual talk about the Dune movie and TV show and the people involved, and generic complaints about "movies these days."

I take your point, but nothing in Villaneuve's career even just sticking to science-fiction movies, is anything like that. I feel like we have two threads going on here. Actual talk about the Dune movie and TV show and the people involved, and generic complaints about "movies these days."
That was tenbones tenbones' point, actually.

Mine was: I could not possibly care less what they do:
Eh. The book remains unchanged.

I generally don't like movies and TV shows made from books. They always have to cut material and sometimes take idiotic liberties. I prefer the images in my mind to what Hollywood comes up with anyway.

WarnerMedia has officially unveiled its new video streaming service, launching in early 2020: HBO Max.

In addition to the new Dune: The Sisterhood television series, they're going to pull Friends and all of the CW shows from Netflix and put them all on HBO Max.

Comic Book said:
This unveiling comes with a few new announcements about content coming to streaming competitor. Beginning in 2020, HBO Max will become the streaming home of The CW’s scripted television, including the new DC series Batwoman and the Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene.

All 236 episodes of Friends will find a new home on HBO Max after leaving its current streaming home, Netflix. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Pretty Little Liars will also be a part of HBO Max’s library.

The streaming service has also signed top tier creatives for a slate of exclusive content. These include Arrowverse architect Greg Berlanti and Academy Award and Emmy Award-winning actress and producer Reese Witherspoon. Berlanti is signed to create four movies aimed at young adults. Witherspoon’s Hello Sunshine will produce at least two films.

Netflix is going to look like a desert by the end of next year.

I’m waiting for Disney+ and then I might cancel Netflix. I have no interest in paying for multiple services.

A few years ago Netflix was hitting it out of the park, with the Marvel shows and the first season of Stranger Things, but recently they've been nothing but disappointment. The Evangelion redub alone was enough to make me consider dropping them.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back