Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com
So I finally gave up waiting for the wife and watched it. It was good!

[ . . . ]

I'm really not sure what to make of Liet-Kynes' gender swap. I don't mind it as a matter of course, it's just what it means, and the difference in timeline for her to bear Chani, as opposed to having a Fremen bear her. It's really strange that I didn't get the 'beast' from Bautista's portrayal. Also, there was something off about Ferguson's portrayal- I didn't really get Jessica's strength and love for her Duke that led her to bear Paul instead of a daughter.

I think overall I preferred Francesca Annis's portrayal of Jessica - she pulled off mystical and in-control a bit better. I didn't mind Rebecca Fergusson's performance, but the hyperventilating and near-meltdowns didn't really feel quite right.

I think overall I preferred Francesca Annis's portrayal of Jessica - she pulled off mystical and in-control a bit better. I didn't mind Rebecca Fergusson's performance, but the hyperventilating and near-meltdowns didn't really feel quite right.

Yeah, that's what took me out of it. I mean, it was fine. But after Annis, it just paled. The same could be said for a lot of the roles.

What was that one?
The Fremen girl. Her acting range seems to be limited to looking vaguely skeptical all the time. The fact that one of her few lines is doubting Paul is the messiah made me laugh though.

The Fremen girl. Her acting range seems to be limited to looking vaguely skeptical all the time. The fact that one of her few lines is doubting Paul is the messiah made me laugh though.
Zendaya? I didn't think she was even in it that much other than a vision. I think we'll probably see more of her- I guess opinions vary; she was decently good in the spiderman stuff.

Zendaya? I didn't think she was even in it that much other than a vision. I think we'll probably see more of her- I guess opinions vary; she was decently good in the spiderman stuff.

I'd never heard of her until I saw the credits for Dune. Her name made me wonder if she was an R&B singer or something, but it turns out it's just her given name.

Yeah, her. I've only seen the first Spiderman (of this latest Spiderman series) and thought she was pretty bad in there. Again, just zero range. You're right that she was barely in Dune, which I was glad for, but showing up at the end to be vaguely skeptical as always was just stupid enough to make me laugh and briefly take me out of the film.

Yeah, that's what took me out of it. I mean, it was fine. But after Annis, it just paled. The same could be said for a lot of the roles.

The one thing Lynch's film nailed was the casting, this cast in the new one has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Overall I think I prefer Chalamet here though.

Yeah, her. I've only seen the first Spiderman (of this latest Spiderman series) and thought she was pretty bad in there. Again, just zero range. You're right that she was barely in Dune, which I was glad for, but showing up at the end to be vaguely skeptical as always was just stupid enough to make me laugh and briefly take me out of the film.
Eh... I guess opinions vary. I don't know why she would be considered an obnoxious casting choice though... that just seems a strange takeaway.

Last edited:
Eh... I guess opinions vary. I don't know why she would be considered an obnoxious casting choice though... that just seems a strange takeaway.
Because it's obnoxious when bad actors are cast in things. Cause they aren't good at the acting thing. It's not any deeper than that. My impression of her from Spiderman (don't know what she did at Disney) was that she can only emote vaguely skeptical, so I laughed when her only significant dialogue in Dune was to be vaguely skeptical. Playing to her strengths at least, but she's still an obnoxious choice over someone capable of two expressions.

I felt she was fine in the Spiderman movies, haven't seen enough of her to have an opinion on her in Dune yet.

Because it's obnoxious when bad actors are cast in things. Cause they aren't good at the acting thing. It's not any deeper than that. My impression of her from Spiderman (don't know what she did at Disney) was that she can only emote vaguely skeptical, so I laughed when her only significant dialogue in Dune was to be vaguely skeptical. Playing to her strengths at least, but she's still an obnoxious choice over someone capable of two expressions.
It's not like Spiderman is an actual tour de force as far as judging someone's acting ability. Just seems unusually harsh.

It's not like Spiderman is an actual tour de force as far as judging someone's acting ability. Just seems unusually harsh.
Well that's silly, I'm pretty sure a large part of the appeal of the Spiderman movie rides on the performances of Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr, Marisa Tomei, and Michael Keaton. If actors can be good in a Spiderman movie, can't they be bad as well?

Well that's silly, I'm pretty sure a large part of the appeal of the Spiderman movie rides on the performances of Tom Holland, Robert Downey Jr, Marisa Tomei, and Michael Keaton. If actors can be good in a Spiderman movie, can't they be bad as well?
I'm just saying that as a singular performance, it's a bit harsh to judge someone on, in my opinion. They don't allow them to exactly show chops, especially for younger actors that haven't had the exposure. The others you mention have had a lot of stage and movie performances, where before this, Zendaya had ... Disney. And it's not like she wasn't functional in the part they had for her- the version of Mary Jane they had wasn't supposed to be a bright ray of sunshine, at least until the end.

Watch Zendaya in Euphoria. a very nuanced and powerful performance.

Been meaning to watch that series this year and hadn't gotten around to it. It's been on my watchlist on HBO though, so I'm sure I'll get to watching it soon. Probably over the holidays.

Just saw it this past weekend. Really, really enjoyed it. While I'll always have a soft-spot for the Lynch version, I found Villeneuve's an instant classic.

The music, visuals, sound and casting to be thrilling and even haunting. I can't get it out of my head. It's been a long while that I've felt that way about a movie.

One of the best films I've seen in the past 10 years, for sure. Although it's made me even less interested in the MCU and Star Wars going forward.

Good episode of Fictoplasm on Dune.

Just saw it this past weekend. Really, really enjoyed it. While I'll always have a soft-spot for the Lynch version, I found Villeneuve's an instant classic.

The music, visuals, sound and casting to be thrilling and even haunting. I can't get it out of my head. It's been a long while that I've felt that way about a movie.

One of the best films I've seen in the past 10 years, for sure. Although it's made me even less interested in the MCU and Star Wars going forward.
I wouldn't call it one of the best I've seen in the last years, but I'd certainly call it good to very good (and way ahead of 80s version).

The only criticism I have is that the movie just seems a bit too serious and gloomy.
Somewhat hard to describe. I don't need comedy, but there are probably like three lines in the entire 2.5 hours where a character is a bit more relaxed and casual (all of them are Duncan).
A bit more to break up the constant gloom and show the characters as more than solemn, weighty faces I'd have found very welcome.

Interesting, I didn’t feel that it was all doom and gloom. Serious, for sure. But I suppose that contrasted with Star Wars and the MCU, Dune is basically Schindlers List.

Interesting, I didn’t feel that it was all doom and gloom. Serious, for sure. But I suppose that contrasted with Star Wars and the MCU, Dune is basically Schindlers List.
And, in my opinion, the tone was the most like the books. There's not a lot of light in there.

And, in my opinion, the tone was the most like the books. There's not a lot of light in there.
I think so, too!
I just also think that's a bit taxing for a cinema watching experience - you can't really take a break, and the movie is long, so it would be nice if the movie gave you one from the gloom assault every now and again :wink:

Not a big issue, but still...

In hindsight, it reminded me somewhat of Blade Runner. Also very gloomy and long movies, but neither felt all that taxing to me in the cinema (went to a feature where they showed both a day after the other).

Last edited:
I felt that Duncan and Gurney brought levity in any scene that they were in.

Again, not Marvel quip levels, but still. And I was glad for it. Dune felt like serious sci-fi to me, which average movie goers might not like, but I do. Even if this movie failed, it would have a place of honor on my shelf next to 2001, Solaris and Interstellar.

edit: not for being “hard” sci-fi, obviously, but as “serious” or “contemplative” sci-fi.

Yeah, I don't think there's a single laugh in six books, really. If people are laughing it's because someone else is suffering. But I can't tell for sure if it's because it's dead serious or played straight for laughs. Dune really is melodramatic and over the top at times, especially Leto II who really feels sorry for himself.

Yeah, I don't think there's a single laugh in six books, really. If people are laughing it's because someone else is suffering. But I can't tell for sure if it's because it's dead serious or played straight for laughs. Dune really is melodramatic and over the top at times, especially Leto II who really feels sorry for himself.

Merging with a sandworm and turning yourself into an immortal monstrosity as the only way to save mankind. I get why one might feel the necessity to do this but be unhappy that you have to live with the consequences. No nookie for 3,500 years.
Maybe you could find a seriously kinky concubine.
- aaaaand Rule 34 in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

Zendaya also played the lead in Euphoria which is a pretty bleak show. She's quite good in it and her role isn't exactly sunshine and buttercups. Anyway, just throwing out the notion that she isn't just Mary Jane and some previous Disney. I haven't watched Dune yet, so I have no comment on her performance.

edit: ninja'd by Kilted Rob Kilted Rob

Zendaya also played the lead in Euphoria which is a pretty bleak show. She's quite good in it and her role isn't exactly sunshine and buttercups. Anyway, just throwing out the notion that she isn't just Mary Jane and some previous Disney. I haven't watched Dune yet, so I have no comment on her performance.

edit: ninja'd by Kilted Rob Kilted Rob
Just so long as Chani never says, "face it tiger, you just hit the jackpot."

I finally got to see it. Holy cow where to start.
I loved it, it's a strong contender with Lawrence of Arabia for my favorite movie.
I loved how every prop was a work of art in and of its own. Even the candle used to drip wax for the Atreides Seal looked great.
The languages were a great way to give the various factions more flavor. The Saudarkar throat singing was a personal favorite, and the Harkonnen troops gutteral grunting fit well with their whole ascetic.
I really liked how they had the Swords and Maula Pistols with Shield combat, instead of ham fisting laser guns in. They never explained the Laser+Shield=Big boom, but it didn't really take away from the movie.
Speaking of the exposition. I thought they did a really good job balancing exposition without disturbing your immersion. That being said, they didn't mention the aformentioned lasers, nor Mentats, which was kind of weird.
The music was awe inspiring! And the locations really felt like different planets. It's amazing how far we've come in making some place seem alien, a far cry from the old Star Trek So-cal deserts!
I am told that Dune may be coming back to IMax in my area in the near future, in which I may risk covid just to go see it.

P.S.
What the hell was that hand-spider thing on Giedi Prime?! Absolutely disgusting and freaky! So it fit in perfectly with the Harkonnens.

So, there's been a lot of "what was that hand spider thing" well, it's a Teleixu sex toy in a gimp suit and not a pre-teen boy at all and it's there to show the baron is a pervert without having him strangle kittens. I get the decision, really it's probably for the best.

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back