Dungeons and and Dragons and Demonology - How do you use fiends in D&D?

Best Selling RPGs - Available Now @ DriveThruRPG.com

CT_Phipps

Legendary Pubber
Reaction score
On a more lore-related question: how do you guys use Archdemons and Archdevils?

Because with evil gods, do they not seem redundant?

Are they gods themselves of evil or just essentially, big Planar Bosses stealing souls for their own amusement/power?

Can they grant spells? What are their limitations?

Feel free to share how you handle D&D&D.

I've only really use them in the context of Planescape and The Blood War. Demons are infernal agents of chaos and destruction, Devils are inhuman agents of order and oppression. Though not quite Gods, they are on that level, and can gain power through worship like a deity.

I definitely don’t use them as they are outlined in D&D lore. I find their interpretation banal and too comprehensible.

I use the demons and devils interchangeably as awful beings that want to corrupt, trick, enslave and destroy mortals (and not just humanity, which always seems to be the default: in my settings elves and dwarves are just as corruptible).

I prefer Moorcock and Warhammer Chaos gods and monsters. Alien, twisted and horrible. Unambiguously evil and proud of it. No Gaiman-esque moral shades of gray.

Some may seem like benevolent patrons at times, but it’s all part of a nefarious scheme.

I definitely don’t use them as they are outlined in D&D lore. I find their interpretation banal and too comprehensible.

I like to draw a distinction between Gothic Horror/Religious horror monsters and Cosmic Horror monsters.

A demon and devil is, by its nature, absolutely comprehensible to a human because good and evil are fundamentally human concepts. I actually have it as one of the rules of the Nine Hells that, unlike mortal contracts, a subject ABSOLUTELY MUST UNDERSTAND the contract he's drawing up and cannot be coerced by force into it. Because the nature of evil is that it must be chosen of one's own voluntary nature. You also can't sell other people's souls or children.

It makes damnation that much harder to avoid.

(Weirdly, the very alien Cenobites inspired me on this as one of my favorite scenes is when Pinhead is PISSED OFF by the attempt to subvert his summoning by throwing it on someone else)

While Far Shore creatures are the alien incomprehensible Cthulhu-esque creatures that have no understandable motivation or desires to mortal minds.

How I handle Archfiends

Note: This is just how I do it at my games. Plenty is non-canon or different between editions

1. Archdemons and Devils are not deities unless they're noted as such. Asmodeus, Lolth, and a handful of others are the exceptions that prove the rule. The big difference is the fact that you can go to a Demon Lord's plane and kill them. It would be HARD and is almost certainly suicidal but it is POSSIBLE. If you meet a deity in their home plane in my games and attack them, it's like swatting an insect. You lose.

2. Technically, this means Gargauth is the most powerful of all Archdevils as a Demigod. Except, of course, for Asmodeus.

3. Fiends can grant spells and special abilities if they make a sould pact. So there's Blackguards and demonic priests running around. I probably would institute a level cap unless you were an Archdemon or Devil, though. An Abishani isn't going to be able to grant the same level of power as Orcus.

Maybe 3rd level spells for most demons, 5th for Pit Fiends and Balor, and only unlimited for Demon Lords and Archdevils.

4. Plenty of evil deities have demons and devils working for them. Lolth can certainly make lots of them directly loyal to her but mostly its just they're bullied into their service. A demon or devil specifically made by a deity is a different kind than the ones "in the wild" though.

5. Demons and Devils are not major players in Outer Plane politics around the Realms with the rare exceptions that prove the rule. Like I said, the difference between the strongest demons and devils vs. gods is insurmountable.

6. Weirdly, I also draw a distinction between gods of evil and fiends too. Bane, as much of an evil bastard as he is, will never be as evil as a being literally made of evil. Set wants to rule all of Mulhorand but he's not going to torture his own followers and has a specific ideology that he follows.

Fiends are just dicks. The cruelty and wickedness is the point.

7. OUT OF THE ABYSS illustrates this sort of thing where the fact that Lolth cast all of the Archdemons in the Abyss (or at least a good chunk of the most famous ones) into the Underdark. Which she could do. Because she's a god and they're demons. Also, it was fun.

8. Most gods stay out of infernal politics with rare exceptions like Tiamat, Lolth, and (of course) Asmodeus. Orcus was never a god but came close with his resurrection and his use of the Last Word to go on a god-killing spree.

9. Asmodeus being a greater god is actually a recent thing or something that has only recently come to be known. It is something that gods find shocking and horrifying because, again, fiends are fundamentally different.

Lolth is the worst goddess of them all because she's both a Taanari/Demon AND a goddess.

Sorry, by "incomprehensible", I meant the D&D concept of demons and devils existing purely for a war in hell. Corrupting mortals just to fill out their ranks in the perpetual battle.

I find that boring, personally. There was an illustration in Volo's Guide to Monsters, I think, which had ranks of completely identical devils and demons (practically cloned via photoshop), each creature exactly the same. That encapsulated how unimaginative I feel it all is.

At least Cenobites, or even Biblical Lucifer, are more compelling to me as tempters of mortals due to some kind of pleasure at doing so; for revenge against God? Jealousy of humanity's mortality? I dunno why. I couldn't figure out why Elric's patron, Arioch, did what he did either (other than just malicious glee).

Edit: and as for Devil's refusing to allow a mortal to sign up someone ELSE's soul, or those of children never made sense to me. In the Old Testament, people bid their own relatives (or the first person to greet them when they returned home) as a devoted sacrifice to the Almighty. And if Devils refused to mess around with children, the Exorcist would have been less compelling and disturbing*

* not that I particularly ENJOY that kind of concept. I have kids and have trouble watching that kind of thing. Evil is evil and I find the whole "Demonic code of Honor" to be oxymoronic.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this lately because I've been collecting the old Role Aides 'Demons' books.
I'd like to remove them from any particular religious mythology and have them be their own thing... with various interpretations by mortals. And yeah, more like the Moorcock/GW Chaos beings... especially in their early form where they're not wholly good or evil (I'd rather dispose of that axis entirely).
So I just have them as beings from 'outside', who would like to get in and misbehave. Various factions have their own interpretations of what they are, but those stories only line up a bit. Though apotropaic measure will still work in some cases.

Honestly?

I've never used them. At least I can't say that I've ever said, "OK, you open the door and Orcus is standing there, roll initiative." I think in the past I've used their names. I even think once I had Graz'zt have a discussion with a character. In my and my partner's personal lore we have this thing where one of my characters from long ago was held captive by Frazz Urb Luu. There was also the time the summoning of Demogorgon was threatened by a villain and there was a whole storyline to stop it, but Demogorgon was being billed under a different name and never actually appeared in the game.

For me, they've always been more GM candy than anything else. They're something for the GM to read about and to just generally be in the book and be "cool." I know they were effective a playground bragging point for tween and pre-drivers license teens. "My character has killed 3 Demogorgons! Oh yeah? Well, my character killed Asmodeus and Mammon and now Glasya is his girlfriend. Oh yeah? Well whenever my character is bored he says Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu so he can have a quick light sparring match."

I think everyone aspires at some point to have them be the main bad guys of a AD&D game, but it never really works out that way. Or at least it never did for me.

Edit: and as for Devil's refusing to allow a mortal to sign up someone ELSE's soul, or those of children never made sense to me. In the Old Testament, people bid their own relatives (or the first person to greet them when they returned home) as a devoted sacrifice to the Almighty. And if Devils refused to mess around with children, the Exorcist would have been less compelling and disturbing*

* not that I particularly ENJOY that kind of concept. I have kids and have trouble watching that kind of thing. Evil is evil and I find the whole "Demonic code of Honor" to be oxymoronic.

1. Well the point of that was to show they were not a god involved in human sacrifice. Mind you, I've always enjoyed that churches have for years tried to use that as a specific story about faithfulness to God when it's very more specifically a prohibition against human sacrifice. Yeah, that's there, but it's also, "No, we're not into that shit."

2. The demonic possession still happens, demons do kill children when they manifest, and other all sorts of evil. It's just you can't claim their soul. Which is splitting hairs I'm sure.

3. And it's not a code of honor but a law because it benefits Lawful Evil in the long run. I just think the whole 'twisting words' thing is a stupid way to run a business.

This is Hell, not Wallstreet. It has standards.

Last edited:
I’ve used a cult of Graz’zt in my Majestic Wilderlands game. A bunch of depraved assholes, really, but the demon lord himself will probably never show up.

I did use the Demogorgon cameo in my short-lived Out of the Abyss campaign, but the PCs don’t really interact with him, it’s more like a tidal wave that gives them a reason to get the hell out of the kuo-toa village with all haste. At least until they reach the higher levels when they are supposed to fight at least one demon lord (whichever one is left standing).

I haven't run a D&D campaign in a while, but when I did, I would either play Ravenloft or if it were my own setting, I tended to redu how the planes worked. The last big campaign I ran I used a Great Chain of Being approach with Demons at the bottom level. Unfortunately I can't remember the specifics of how I actually ran the demons but I know I made a number of changes to bring them more in line with the concept. Right now I am using demons in a modern setting and sticking with ideas about demons from the bible and books on exorcism.

My list of actually deified fiends is as follows:

Asmodeus (Greater God)

As mentioned, Asmodeus in my campaign was the one to slay Amaunator and claimed his divine porftolio after the Fall of Netheril. However, this was actually part of a larger gambit by the Sun God to rebirth himself as a God of Light. This is the origins of the Blood War in my games, or at least the latest round of it (maybe there had been a "short" peace for 10K or so before then).

Asmodeus in the Realms: Asmodeus has the largest cult among mortals but that isn't saying much. He's primarily worshiped by Tieflings, Fey'ri, and mortals seeking to avoid his wrath. In my games, being AFRAID of Asmodeus is actually good enough to qualify as worship as is the constant streams of "Asmodeus take you" and "Damn you." Even so, he's a somewhat greedy god as no mortal would voluntarily worship him unless they were out of their mind.

Lolth (Lesser God)

In my entirely non-canon write-up of Lolth, Lolth was banished from the Seldarine for her attempt to kill Corellon and reduced to an Outsider banished to the Abyss. Lolth proceeded then to devour the essence of a Demon Prince of Spiders (who I have nicknamed "Shelob") and became the hideously evil Demon Prince they are now. Lolth actually squanders the worship of the Drow in her insanity and her rising to Greater God status only to be kicked down to Lesser God status again is not that uncommon.

Lolth in the Realms: We're pretty much aware of her activity more than any other demon prince.

Gargauth (Demigod)

The Lord of the Tenth had ambitions to overthrow Asmodeus and managed to come closer than anyone by stealing the divinity of another god. However, that was a foolish mistake because it only clued him in to the fact how powerful Asmodeus truly was. He could easily beat any other Archdevil but Asmodeus himself is impossible to do so. He's also been slowly starved of worshipers to the point only the Knights of the Shield know him.

Gargauth in the Realms: Descent into Avernys is probably the final end of Gargauth as he's reached the end of his amusement factor for Asmodeus. If the PCs destroy his avatar or Zariel does, then Asmodeus will take the remainder of his godly power for himself.

Orcus (Former God)

Orcus used to be an Intermediate Deity and was one of the most widely worshiped and terrifying gods in the Forgotten Realms. My headcanon is that he actually was the soul of the wizard Acherath of Tomb of Horrors fame after being dispatched by adventurers who tossed him in the Sphere of Annihilation. Orcus managed to be worshiped by vast numbers of undead, mortal cultists (due to the sex cult element I incorporate), and necromancers. Unfortunately, for him, he overstepped himself and his avatar's defeat in Bloodstone Pass resulted in him being weakened.

Weakened enough that Kiaransalee stole his true name and slew him, erasing his memory from all mortal minds and starving him of worship. Orcus would eventually be resurrected but "only" as a lowly Demon Prince without his divine status, which is a massive step down from what he was.

Orcus in the Realms: Is a patron of necromancers, liches, and monsters. He's very cautious but desires a way to steal Kiaransalee's power, Velsharoon's, or even Myrkul's again.

If I’m using the Great Wheel cosmology, I’m using the traditional D&D demonology. I do this running D&D5 and/or official material (very unusual for me to do either).

If I’m running homebrew, I’m usually using OSR and I like to keep my horrific outsiders enigmatic and possibly unintelligible.

If I had the time, I’d cook up my own demonology for any given setting, inspired by such works as Tékumel’s Book of Ebon Bindings and Godbound’s Uncreated as featured in the Ancalia gazetteer.

I admit, the only thing I really don't like is the way PLANESCAPE handles Demons and Devils. It's part of the Pratchett-esque humor of the setting that you can just have a demon in Sigil running a shop and there's nothing weird about it but I absolutely loathe the idea they're utterly divorced of their menace. A demon is a being made of pure evil and that should always be terrifying.

But yes, I absolutely love D&D's cosmology of made up demons and devils.

I feel like it was one of their better creations and I hated that it got buried for 2nd Edition. Some of what they did later was stupid (Whoever wrote Asmodeus gets the souls of all atheists sounded like people who HATE D&D rather than play it) but a lot of it was really entertaining.

I admit, the only thing I really don't like is the way PLANESCAPE handles Demons and Devils. It's part of the Pratchett-esque humor of the setting that you can just have a demon in Sigil running a shop and there's nothing weird about it but I absolutely loathe the idea they're utterly divorced of their menace. A demon is a being made of pure evil and that should always be terrifying.

I feel like it was one of their better creations and I hated that it got buried for 2nd Edition. Some of what they did later was stupid (Whoever wrote Asmodeus gets the souls of all atheists sounded like people who HATE D&D rather than play it) but a lot of it was really entertaining.
This has always been my chief gripe with Planescape — the banalization of the Outer Planes and its denizens.

And yes, nowadays I see the potential for a Pratchett take on D&D cosmology (and another, not necessarily separate potential for a Miéville take), but back then I didn’t know about Pratchett and the philosophical fatsplats reeked of White Wolf.

Not to mention the idea of a 1st-level AD&D2 character walking down the street, bumping into a demon (sorry, “tanar’ri”) and getting misted in six seconds or less. (It does work as a deterrent against combat-happy PCs but I knew my players back in the day.)

I've always liked an idea I was introduced to by Lee Gold in Lands of Adventure, demons are old gods, displaced and vilified by the current batch. D&D's gods always seemed a little too oddly Christian for a pantheistic setting. It's all part of D&D's unique anything goes in the pot soup. Still, I don't think I've ever had major demons play much of a role in my games or settings.

I could see doing casting the followers of the Titans as demons in a Greek themed setting, much like Wargods of Olympus does.

That gives me an idea for my lore thread:

113. [Planescape] Sigil is not actually a particularly enlightened place despite its pretensions as the center of the Multiverse but a location that bends towards philosophical neutrality in all things. Which in simple terms means that everyone who believes very strongly in something will find their beliefs humbled, mocked, or dulling the longer they're in Sigil. Angels and demons gradually become more and more mundane while zealots in the service of any cause, no matter how just or injust, look like fools. It also attracts misfits and oddballs of all stripes to the point that reality acts more like Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman wrote a D&D setting than Tolkien or Gygax.

114. [Planescape] See #113, this actually means that seasoned planar champions of gods, clerics, and even the philosophically devoted HATE Sigil and avoid it at all costs. The very fabric of reality eats at one's sense of grandeur and capacity for awe. It's the kind of place where you go if you think living a life purely for gold or routine is sensible. Only its status as a gateway to everywhere keeps it in visitors.

115. [Planescape] See #114, Vecna seizing control of the city and almost destroying the universe helped make many of its own residents realize this as more than half of the city exited when their response to it was, initially, "Huh. Isn't that strange." Their regained a good sense of perspective upon leaving.

I've always liked an idea I was introduced to by Lee Gold in Lands of Adventure, demons are old gods, displaced and vilified by the current batch. D&D's gods always seemed a little too oddly Christian for a pantheistic setting. It's all part of D&D's unique anything goes in the pot soup. Still, I don't think I've ever had major demons play much of a role in my games or settings.

I could see doing casting the followers of the Titans as demons in a Greek themed setting, much like Wargods of Olympus does.

I feel like that runs into the problem of, "if they're villified and displaced, are they every bit the assholes that they seem to be or not?"

Because part of the reason evil gods exist is so you can slay them.

:smile:

It really depends on your cosmology. If the gods are created and fueled by belief then they will warp and twist to match their reputation. That's the fundamental truth of the Warhammer Chaos Gods. (TM).

My brain is too tired for the actual topic, but I just wanted to state that I read "friends" instead of "fiends" in the title and got confused for a bit.

Are they gods themselves of evil or just essentially, big Planar Bosses stealing souls for their own amusement/power?

I wrote up my take which I attached.

As for the whole Evil Gods versus Demons.

General Notes on Religions
Religion plays an important role in the Majestic Fantasy Realms. The Gods are real and their power affects everyday life. This has a powerful effect on the various cultures of the Wilderlands. One effect of this is that Clerics and Priests are more powerful than the other character classes in the Wilderlands. This power comes at a price, faith. Under the rules that the gods of the Wilderlands abide by, they can only grant power to those who truly believe and are willing to follow the will of their God. This doesn’t mean that those who have doubts or transgress are automatically shorn of their powers. But it does mean that by the end of the day, the Cleric stands with his deity or loses everything given.

This will act as a check on players abusing clerical powers. Even in societies dominated by three “evil” gods of the Majestic Fantasy Realms (Hamakhis, Kalis, and Sarrath), there are recognizable laws and social structures. They have rules that restrict the characters' actions and work against riding roughshod over the societies the referee creates.

One feature of the various religions of the Majestic Wilderlands is their universal antipathy for demons and their cults. Even worshippers of the three “evil” gods will actively work against any demon cults they discover.

Another feature is that the gods are universal in their appeal. They are not narrowly focused on a singular portfolio. They espouse a distinctive philosophy of life that is taught to the faithful through the clerics. While they are given a singular name in this book they manifest in different forms in different cultures.

For example, Thor is only known by that name to the Vasan Vikings. He is known as Mantriv to the barbarians of the Sky Plains. While there are differences in his worship between the two cultures the core of his religion remains the same, to stand against the monsters inhabiting the world and to lead an honorable life.

Attachments

• Demons and Divine Servants.pdf
    222.3 KB · Views: 0

Fiendishly

I'd probably use them the same way that I differentiate the Neverborn and the Yozis in Exalted: by goals and methods:thumbsup:.

Archdevils want to destroy all life, capture the souls of the mortals* and rule over a dominion where only undead exist. They're more likely to teach you necromantic spells if you serve them and need more power to be a useful tool. The endgame for such servants is to become liches (or Deathknights, in Exalted, possible promotion to Deathlord possible).

Archdemons want us to live miserable, brutish, violent and depraved lives, with them ruling, overtly or covertly (which one is preferred changes) us from the top. They're more likely to give you demonic mutations or innate powers if you serve them and need more power to be an useful tool. The endgame for such servants is to become full demons.

Also, in many games I put them in the same place, Hell, except I make them two opposing fractions. They're also known as The East Chapter and The West Chapter, in a reference to Chinese eunuch ministerial cliques:shade:.

*In my settings, that's elves and dwarves as well, as well as some gods and supernatural creatures.

I've never used them or the planes they come from. In my sword & sorcery settings, I like creatures from other worlds to be unique, inexplicable, and described as a "demon" just because nobody has a more appropriate name for them. I do the same thing in my pseudo-historical settings except rather than just calling them "demons", I will apply biblical and goetian terminology to describe them, as that's how characters in these settings would interpret them. I make no distinction between gods and demons in my settings, except that someone worshiping an entity tends to call them a god, rather than a demon.

I have only once encountered an arch-fiend as a player in someone else's game. It was the Gnoll god, called Yeenogu or something similar. Things did not go well and we lost two characters before running away.

I make no distinction between gods and demons in my settings, except that someone worshiping an entity tends to call them a god, rather than a demon.
...isn't that how it works in all settings:grin:?
Also, sometimes people might call actual gods they worship "demons", if they think it sounds more edgy. Depends on what kind of worshippers you're recruiting, I guess:shade:!

In my 5e campaign, my goal was to include all the classic D&D lore. Or, as much of it as possible. So several of the demon lords and devil princes and similar beings, are very involved in the events. So are the likes of classic NPCs like Eclavdra, Iggwilv, and Snurre and the like; they've banded together into a very Legion of Doom type group as a counter to the PCs. Sigil and many of the NPCs from Planescape are prominent (most notably, Faces of Sigil, which I think is one of the best D&D products ever). I drew heavily on some old modules (many of the early the G/D/Q series as well as Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth and others, and then things like Dead Gods and some others from the 2e era). I like all that politics of the underworld type stuff, and the Bloodwar is a pretty cool concept.

The campaign went on hold when the pandemic hit, but the last session involved the PCs needing to recover someone from one of the Lady of Pain's mazes. They hired a githyanki named Djhek'nlarr to help them access the maze, but realized they'd been swindled when they were brought to Baphomet's Labyrinth instead. So they had to make their way through the labyrinth and then face Baphomet to escape.

In the past, I've typically leaned on the likes of Demogorgon and Orcus and so on as background info. The PCs would hear of them, or run into their cultists, and so on, but I think only a couple of them ever appeared. I approached this campaign with the intention of using as many of the D&D "toys" as I could. So when we get to the upper levels of like 15 and above, they'll start to deal with them directly.

This is very much meant to be like a "D&D's Greatest Hits" so there's nothing that's not on the table.

Not seeing how it got buried in 2e when multiple boxsets and modules detailed them and their planar settings extensively. In 1e all you had were the entries in MM 1 & 2, the sketchy but fun Manual of the Planes and one module, Isle of the Ape, that featured them as antagonists (and only briefly at the end).

In my Mythos fantasy games I dispense with the traditional Great Wheel cosmology.

In my Hyperborea game, daemons dwell in the Hadean underworld of Underborea. I use the classic Monster Manual demons plus a few specific for the setting. Thaumagorga is the big bad but I use some "classic" demonic personalities of Orcus, Juiblex, Demogorgon and Yeenoghu as his lieutenants.

In Carcosa, Juiblex makes an appearance as an Old One called The Slime Lord. Yeenoghu is also considered an Old One and worshipped as the Lord of Slaughter by a cannibal sect called the Feasters. Demogorgon lurks at the bottom of a massive dungeon and is again considered an Old One.

Not seeing how it got buried in 2e when multiple boxsets and modules detailed them and their planar settings extensively. In 1e all you had were the entries in MM 1 & 2, the sketchy but fun Manual of the Planes and one module, Isle of the Ape, that featured them as antagonists (and only briefly at the end).

I mean, literally Planescape didn't include the Archdemons and Devils because they'd been retconned out. What are you referring to?

I mean, literally Planescape didn't include the Archdemons and Devils because they'd been retconned out. What are you referring to?

They did get retconned out when 2e launched... the whole Tanar'Ri and Baatezu stuff. But it was slowly worked back in over the life of the edition. Planescape products refer to the lords of the nine and the like explicitly. But it does vary a bit from product to product over the life of the line.

By retconned about are you referring to the renaming of Devils?

Devils are still there in Planescape and a major part of the Blood Wars.

415QnMZN9dL._AC_SY780_.jpg

The module Fires of Dis features the Archdevil Dispater.

17273.jpg

And there are a number of supplements detailing devils, demons and their planes like these.

Faces_of_Evil_-_The_Fiends.jpg

17278.jpg17298.jpg

Banner: The best cosmic horror & Cthulhu Mythos @ DriveThruRPG.com
Back